Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Donovan Mitchell has made playoffs every year, a 3 time All Star, I believe… and he’s just 25…

Brunson and Mitchell best backcourt since Starks and Harper.

I get it… don’t go all-in Melo on the undersized SG….

But giving up 3 of the following 4: Grimes, IQ, McBride, and Obi isn’t crazy.

3 draft picks? 4? 5? Where do you draw the line? I do it at 4 (if they take 3 players and 5 if they take 2)

McBride is gone.

So, it’s either Grimes or Obi/IQ, if I am GM….

Ainge not taking Randle… he wants cheap, young players…

This is why I think deal settles at Grimes, McBride and 5 first rounders… or Leon should walk away.

I would hold line at IQ, Obi, McBride and 4 first rounders. I prefer to keep Grimes (defense)…. Although IQ/OBi could make second unit lethal.

Sure, play the kids all season. Hope for another top 5 pick… that’s another route.

But at least this is something you can control. If you can get D Mitch for Grimes and McBride and 5 first rounders… do it. Knicks are young and loaded with talent then and free agents will come.

Not going to break you not selecting 23rd.

They’ve been bad for 2 decades… it’s time to start making runs at ECF.
    Last edited by mafra; Jul 15, 2022 at 11:16.

12th man

I don’t think a Rudy Gobert type of haul is excessive to get a player of DM's caliber. Multiple draft picks and serviceable players like Beasley, Beverly or in the Knicks case Grimes, Fournier, Toppin, McBride. That said I do question the fit of acquiring DM after getting Jalen. I'd prefer getting long wings like the Celts have instead of the pair of DM/JB.

Veteran

I want DM. Still, it’s scary to think about paying a price for him that no one is willing to pay but us. I’m guessing that if we traded for him, even if he kept up his all-star play, no way we could get 5 or 6 1st round picks for him a year from now. The price seems too high.

Still, the Knicks have very little to lose here. We draft badly. If we can get DM for a bunch of 1st round picks and some of our bench guys, we’re probably a lot better team in the long run for it. An endless string of Ntilikina, Knox, Toppin, Grimes-type 1st round picks will never get us anywhere. A lot of our picks are protected and/or our luck in the lottery is horrific, so our chances of any one of our future 1st rounders being a generational player seem low.

I agree. MJ was what? 1988-1989 season, when he was same age as DM is now. I vividly recall numerous debates with BOS fans, who cried MJ was never and never would be a champion….

Not often a multiple time all star at 25 falls into your laps.

I think Rose is fine with 4-5 first rounders, of which 2-3 are the only NYK original ones. From here, we shall see how willing and able.

I would hope Leon is comfortable with 6 first rounders, as long as the players going to Utah are Evan, Cam, & McBride.

I don’t feel like he should surrender Grimes. Definitely either Grimes or IQ/Obi duo.

Utah ultimately values picks over players and they don’t want DM in team to start season and risk lowering their lottery odds.

Meanwhile, Rose should be content dumping Randle on LAK for Westbrook, then buying RW out, going with kids and rebuilding in upcoming draft

Pressure should be on Utah to make a deal, not NY. SGA or another star will be on the market next year.

6 first rounders (2-3 NY’s), Evan, Cam, McBride is ideal.

Flip Randle to LAK. Release RW.

You got a star back court to attract free agents, you have youth (RJ, Mitch, IQ, Obi, Grimes, Simms) and you have cap space moving forward. How is this bad?

If Utah wants either Grimes or IQ/Obi then you lower to just 4 or 5 first rounders.

Remember, 1 first is simply to dump Evan on them. And Rose amassed a stockpile of 4 first rounder via trade. That’s 8 next 4 years, so even if Ny deals 6 they still have 2 next 4 years.

That has to be the line… we shall see.

Veteran

Recent social media posts seem to be saying Donovan Mitchell to Knicks is now a “done deal”. I’m waiting for Woj or Shams to say something.

It might infer that a deal is imminent, as in occurring before camp begins in 2-3 months. Might just be a matter of how many first rounders end up in Utah.

Nets prefer KD…

Who else is really in the mix?

Rose smart not to bid against himself.

What do you think?

I’ve read that significant progress has been made the last 24 hours but also caution that noting is imminent. Warning we could hear a lot of these sort of reports in coming days and weeks.

I think it boils down to:

1) How many picks Rose comfortable parting with.

2) How few young players (assets) Ainge willing to accept.

Utah adamant they want 3 young players (IQ, Obi, Grimes) plus draft picks?

NYK adamant it won’t surrender 2 or 3 or any young assets?

Will Utah take Evan’s contract?

Progress made is probably that Utah will take Evan and Rose will go to 5 picks….

Ainge wants more picks and Rose wants to keep young assets. This will take time to hammer out, unless Utah is eager to make deal happen.

Ainge MO is to wait things out, so with no pending deadline to push this along… it might take time.

Or, Ainge sees writing on wall and knows only way he’s getting even 4 picks is with NY

Stay tuned

Sounds like if (and when) Mitchell trade happens, the next move is dumping Randle on LAK.

Carmelo waiting to see if NYK land DM… and if they do… word is he’s coming (probably to back up Obi at PF).

Knows the team

Well .. the NBA FA market looks to be over a week before August, what team scored big or small in the FA market? And the Washington Wizards signed Taj Gibson the ex-Knicks front-court leader.

Offseason Trades ....
    Let's see, the long wait and hold-out on several star players trades may start back-up at the end of the offseason, or the start of the 2022-23 NBA season.
    The Keven Durant trade slowed down ..
    The Westbrook trade really slowed down ..
    The Kyrie Irving buy-out still haven't happen ..
    And Ainge are sitting back now, after setting the tone of the package he's looking for in a trade for D.Mitchell in talks with the Knicks media.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyaman View Post
    Well .. the NBA FA market looks to be over a week before August, what team scored big or small in the FA market? And the Washington Wizards signed Taj Gibson the ex-Knicks front-court leader.

Offseason Trades ....
    Let's see, the long wait and hold-out on several star players trades may start back-up at the end of the offseason, or the start of the 2022-23 NBA season.
    The Keven Durant trade slowed down ..
    The Westbrook trade really slowed down ..
    The Kyrie Irving buy-out still haven't happen ..
    And Ainge are sitting back now, after setting the tone of the package he's looking for in a trade for D.Mitchell in talks with the Knicks media.

The only thing I will give Rose credit for is that if Dolan was deciding we would have all ready sent a huge package for Mitchell......not this still can be the case so credit might be taken away.
    I want Mitchell but want to keep Grimes.

Yeah, my line in sand is Evan, Cam, McBride and 5 first rounders (1 to take Fournier and 4 for DM).

2023 & 2025 NYK picks plus 3 that we accumulated.

Take it or I play kids and tank for this draft class.

Good luck Ainge and Utah winning 30 games and missing out on these 5 studs coming out.

Knows the team

Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    Yeah, my line in sand is Evan, Cam, McBride and 5 first rounders (1 to take Fournier and 4 for DM).

2023 & 2025 NYK picks plus 3 that we accumulated.

Take it or I play kids and tank for this draft class.

Good luck Ainge and Utah winning 30 games and missing out on these 5 studs coming out.
    Truth B said .... I'm still having problems figuring out how our new PG Brunson are gonna keep the ball out of Randle hands, when Randle will need the ball in his hands on every offensive possession to try to be the Knicks soul star of the team.
    And Brunson and Fournier, how will Brunson get the ball to the Knicks perimeter spot shooter Fournier wide open when all the asking (begging) and .. Randle & Barrett will never put up screens or pick-off Fournier's defender to help Fournier average a quick 20 pts a game next season.

Plus as soon as Brunson complain bout RJ Barrett's non-movement on offense, plus shooting the ball every time he touch it .... Will $110M Brunson be taken out the rotation LOL

I don't believe D.Mitchell and Randle could fit in the same lineup together. Why?
    Randle has built a bad habit of grabbing a defensive rebound then dribble (walk) the ball down court, never/ever pushing the ball to speed up the tempo of the game, plus Randle's passing-skills are very poor to be a rebounding PF, that's why Knicks ex-coach Fizdale told Randle to start dribbling the ball down court like Draymond Green.
    The only difference are Draymond Green has excellent passing skills, and always look to pass the ball once he cross the midcourt line.

Knows the team

The Knicks starter lineup ....
    2019- Payton, Barrett, Morris, Randle, Portis .. 21 win season, got Blow-out every other game.
    2020- Payton, Barrett, Bullock, Randle, Noel .. 41 win season, Covid empty stadium season.
    2021- Kemba/Burks, Barrett, Fournier, Randle, MitchRob .. 37 win season ...
    2022- Brunson, Barrett, Fournier, Randle, MitchRob .. ??? win season?

For some unknown reason (starter lineup), I believe the Knicks 2022-23 season will be a bunch of let downs for Knicks fans.
    Maybe, I would've felt better in the offseason about the Knicks becoming winning team by signing FA Brunson & MitchRob, and Ainge trading the Knicks Gobert & D.Mitchell for Randle, Barrett, Fournier, and the 6 draft picks.

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyaman View Post
    The Knicks starter lineup ....
    2019- Payton, Barrett, Morris, Randle, Portis .. 21 win season, got Blow-out every other game.
    2020- Payton, Barrett, Bullock, Randle, Noel .. 41 win season, Covid empty stadium season.
    2021- Kemba/Burks, Barrett, Fournier, Randle, MitchRob .. 37 win season ...
    2022- Brunson, Barrett, Fournier, Randle, MitchRob .. ??? win season?

For some unknown reason (starter lineup), I believe the Knicks 2022-23 season will be a bunch of let downs for Knicks fans.
    Maybe, I would've felt better in the offseason about the Knicks becoming winning team by signing FA Brunson & MitchRob, and Ainge trading the Knicks Gobert & D.Mitchell for Randle, Barrett, Fournier, and the 6 draft picks.
    I'm not one for high hopes, but how much better will the offense be with a real point guard running it opposed to Julius Randall? 4 more games gets us in the play in. I don't think D-Mitch would produce much of a better result than that considering that our depth would be gone.

Questions - If you saw Ivey play in NCAA tournament or in SL…couldn’t(he will) be as good or better than D. Mitchell?

What fool or fools would trade 6 or 7 first round picks for a player NOT named ‘Chamberlain or Jabbar?

The trade being discuss is one where the Knicks should be getting rid of MISTAKES!!! Ainge is getting rid of players who can only take the so far(not to a championship).

Hey Ski, this is why I’m not optimistic about the Knicks this season or the future. Outside of Kiya(his post right above) has anyone said get rid of the MISTAKES. Now there have one or two that question how much better the Knicks will be with Brunson and DMit. I totally agree with them. How can you have an real subjective discussion if you don’t know the real problems??