Utah / NYK enter D-Mitch trade talks

I hope your wrong on RJ because I?m a believer.
trade 6 first rounders and EF and call it a day
Ski, why would you give six 1st round picks?? Nobody but a young Jabbar or Chamberlain is worth that price. To even suggest that is so problematic. If you can rid yourself of a mistake then we should do so. If trading RJ and getting Mitchell without the six picks is a win and erase the mistake made 4 years ago.
No matter how much you like RJ(it beyond me what you see) if the Knicks can get Mitchell and get rid of RJ. You should be turning flip?s. You have 3 years of seeing that BUM. You need another 3 years to see the same thing?

Remember? Player Only Meeting? and what was said, ?who is the problem with the TEAM, The TEAM, Ski? To the player all said RJ.,. Wait Up man!! That didn?t come from me that came from players that was on the coach with him.

When does the good of the team MATTERS?? He?s CANCER!!

mafra

Legend
?Did you know that the Knicks lost 10 games vs below .500 teams where they had 4th qtr leads last yr? Or that they were 18-26 in games decided by 5pts or less? Last years squad had issues closing games. Brunson and a healthy Rose may help with that.?

Tweet by Robert Currence

skisloper1

Benchwarmer
Ski, why would you give six 1st round picks?? Nobody but a young Jabbar or Chamberlain is worth that price. To even suggest that is so problematic. If you can rid yourself of a mistake then we should do so. If trading RJ and getting Mitchell without the six picks is a win and erase the mistake made 4 years ago.
No matter how much you like RJ(it beyond me what you see) if the Knicks can get Mitchell and get rid of RJ. You should be turning flip?s. You have 3 years of seeing that BUM. You need another 3 years to see the same thing?

Remember? Player Only Meeting? and what was said, ?who is the problem with the TEAM, The TEAM, Ski? To the player all said RJ.,. Wait Up man!! That didn?t come from me that came from players that was on the coach with him.

When does the good of the team MATTERS?? He?s CANCER!!

you missed my point. RJ and 3 picks gets it done for me. FO won?t trade RJ so it?s a mute point.

I said 6 picks because it seems the picks enable us to make bad contracts and then use a pick to get rid of them

you missed my point. RJ and 3 picks gets it done for me. FO won?t trade RJ so it?s a mute point.

I said 6 picks because it seems the picks enable us to make bad contracts and then use a pick to get rid of them

I don?t understand the second paragraph.

Let say the trade is made for whatever reason.
In the offense scheme that the Knicks run.
#1 option is Randle
#2 option is Mitchell
#3 option is Brunson
#4 option is RJ at best
This is your #3 overall pick at the 4th option.
Explain why you want him on the team? He is invisible without the ball. He can?t and certainly shown he doesn?t effect the game without the ball. His defense is below average at best.

Don?t forget you just signed MRob to big contract. His shots must increase because of the investment.

I can see a scenario where there are 3 different camps on this team. ?The Creatures of Habit? - Randle & RJ. The D. Mitchell team. The Brunson team. The last two ran successful/different offense scheme than Randle/RJ. Randle could possibly fit in with Mitchell and Brunson but not RJ.

The much bigger question is ?Who?s team is it???

Did the F.O. think about chemistry??
One other thing? Thib?s coaching style when it comes to Mitchell and Brunson.

skisloper1

Benchwarmer
I don?t understand the second paragraph.

Let say the trade is made for whatever reason.
In the offense scheme that the Knicks run.
#1 option is Randle
#2 option is Mitchell
#3 option is Brunson
#4 option is RJ at best
This is your #3 overall pick at the 4th option.
Explain why you want him on the team? He is invisible without the ball. He can?t and certainly shown he doesn?t effect the game without the ball. His defense is below average at best.

Don?t forget you just signed MRob to big contract. His shots must increase because of the investment.

I can see a scenario where there are 3 different camps on this team. ?The Creatures of Habit? - Randle & RJ. The D. Mitchell team. The Brunson team. The last two ran successful/different offense scheme than Randle/RJ. Randle could possibly fit in with Mitchell and Brunson but not RJ.

The much bigger question is ?Who?s team is it???

Did the F.O. think about chemistry??
One other thing? Thib?s coaching style when it comes to Mitchell and Brunson.

Rose won?t trade RJ was my point so why discuss it

Kiyaman

Legend
?Did you know that the Knicks lost 10 games vs below .500 teams where they had 4th qtr leads last yr? Or that they were 18-26 in games decided by 5pts or less? Last years squad had issues closing games. Brunson and a healthy Rose may help with that.?

Tweet by Robert Currence

I will agree ....
A decent 28 minute starter PG Brunson, plus old-man D.Rose dynamics as a closer going down the stretch of games will have the Knicks playing above .500 B.ball.
Randle Barrett and Fournier are average role-players whom inconsistency and poor defense makes the trio a liability when playing Knicks opponents above .500 performance.

The Dallas Mavs needed Bullocks hustle-defense, and playmaker Dinwiddie offensive style to help Brunson & Doncic get pass the first round of the playoffs.
The same two players the Knicks needed to get pass the first round

mafra

Legend
I?m intrigued by the Dimwiddy-Doncic-Wood triumvirate? should be exciting.

Brunson and D-Rose should have this team back in the upper 40s win total.

Brunson has won everywhere he?s been: HS, college, international, Mavs last year? he?s better than anything Knicks had running PG since 2012

mafra

Legend
The Athletic?s Tony Jones on ESPN Radio gives us the latest updates on the DM front:

Tony said ..
* #Knicks & #UtahJazz haven?t spoke in weeks. NY had offer on table but not enough for Jazz
* says neither side close on deal
* Jazz number 1 player they want in deal is Grimes & NY doesn?t want to give him up. NY okay with giving up Toppin

Give it a listen.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jazznationnews/status/1554946681631756288?s=21&t=xr7TI_iTJuvYAIKwmqtw7g

Grimes is younger than both IQ and Obi. Sounds like, more the draft picks, that Grimes is a major problem with these negotiations, bc Utah wants him and NYK don?t want to part with him.

In a dream works, Ainge wants Vanderbilt and Grimes and 10+ draft picks (out of the RG/DM deals. Then he can build around 2 young players and tank for a franchise cornerstone next draft.

Grimes a top 5 NBA prospect out of HS. Went to Kansas? don?t work out under Bill Self. Went to play for K. Sampson at HOU (took them to Final 4), had good rookie showing and SOPH SL showing?.

Leon wants to trade IQ, OBI, Cam, McBride and picks.

Utah wants Grimes and picks.

No other willing team can come close to match the pick haul NYK have? and Leon knows this. Ainge sending all his media lackey out to drum up momentum?.

Knicks need DM, pressure to make trade, blah blah. Don?t bite Leon. 3 picks and Grimes. 4 picks and IQ/OBI.

I might go as far as saying Grimes not on table. Take these 5 picks (2 unconditional NYK picks), or we walk.

Ainge is bluffing that he is fine keeping DM. He isn?t. He wants to tank, and to do so he needs to deal DM? then that frees him up to trade everybody else.

Leon Rose should call his bluff. See what he?ll accept on eve of season starting. Team doesn?t need DM that much.

mafra

Legend
Grimes said recently that he expects his role to be expanded some this upcoming season.
For the second consecutive offseason Grimes, one of the best performers in Summer League last month, worked out with University of Memphis head coach (and former NBA guard) Penny Hardaway. Penny was a point guard for much of his career, and while Grimes has been asked to play off the ball with the Knicks, expanding his game is something he's working to do. "He?s kind of like a big uncle to me," Grimes said of Hardaway. "Just took me under his wing and helped me play the point guard position a lot better because that?s what I was in high school? Last year, they didn?t necessarily need me to do that ? got to come in, play extremely hard on defense, knock down shots. I feel like next year my role will be expanded a little bit more. ? I?m a scorer, really. I love getting to the mid-range, getting all the way to the rim, getting fouled. I like having an all-around game." While incumbent Evan Fournier remains under contract, it isn't far-fetched to see Tom Thibodeau open up the competition for that starting spot once training camp begins. And whether Grimes starts or not, he should be on fantasy managers' radars heading into draft season.

mafra

Legend
HoopsHype?s Michael Scotto reported that the Knicks, Lakers, and Jazz discussed a three-team deal that would land Donovan Mitchell in New York.
The proposed trade would send some quality players to the Lakers, like Bojan Bogdanovic or Patrick Beverley, and a ton of draft capital to Utah. It would also include Russell Westbrook being traded to Utah and being bought out. This seems like the best scenario for all three teams, since the Lakers won?t be able to get that type of talent on their team in any other trade. We?ll see if they?re willing to part with two firsts, since that?s what?s been holding them back from dealing Westbrook all along. Russ would then be free to join any team he?d like. We?ll see who would have interest in giving him a role. The Knicks would also only have to give up Derrick Rose and draft compensation, which is less than what was previously reported.

mafra

Legend
The above scenario seems like what will eventually happen. Ian Begley reporting today that nobody wants to help Brooklyn facilitate a trade? all signs pointing towards a KD reunion with Nets, unless Durant flatly demands trade when he meets with the owner.

As soon as Lakers know they can?t get Kyrie this year (Irving will sign with Lakers next summer, if LJ still there).

Will this 3-way day happen in Aug? September, before camp begins? Or not until after 12-15? We shall see?

Lakers would probably take Randle, Bojan and either a D-Rose, Evan F, Beverley, or something.

Lakers would happily deal 2 draft picks for a package of players that would help (while dumping Westbrook).

Knicks get Mitchell, while keeping Grimes and some of their picks.

I see the Knicks kicking in 4 picks, Cam, McBride & OBI, and Lakers sending T-Horn kid?

Utah gets 6 first rounders, maybe even 7 if Leon is content keeping Grimes so he tosses in another first.

5 first rounders sounds like a lot, but when you factor in dumping Randle and Evan contracts?. It doesn?t feel as painful.

I think Ainge holds out for Grimes and/or IQ? Ae shall see what are deal breakers or not and who budges.

But, stalemate between Rose and Ainge needs a third team like LAK to satisfy Utah?s insane asset demands and Knicks need to keep their depth.

Stay tuned.

I hope Rose understands this deal doesn?t need to be done. We cool either way. Only make deal on our terms. Do not surrender Grimes. See how willing Utah is to go into season with DM distraction and how motivated LAK are to run it back with same crew.

Methinks the closer we get to season, Utah lowers demands and LAK sweeten pot

I would venture to guess Ainge would think those LAK picks (?27, ?29) could be gold!

Plus, 3 picks in upcoming draft makes him serious player for a stud.

We shall see.

If Knicks only send 4 picks (half of their 8) and keep Grimes ?. Major win.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
The proposed three-team trade scenario included Westbrook going to Utah and getting bought out. Utah would send Donovan Mitchell to the Knicks, a combination of two players, including Patrick Beverley and Jordan Clarkson, Bojan Bogdanovic or Malik Beasley to the Lakers, and the Jazz would receive significant draft pick compensation from the Knicks and Lakers. The Knicks also would?ve had to part with veteran salary filler(s), such as Derrick Rose to help make the salaries work.

The Lakers also have had interest in trading for Knicks forward Cam Reddish, who could also become part of a trade. Last season, the Lakers nearly acquired Reddish as part of a blockbuster three-team trade talks between the Lakers, Knicks and Raptors at the time.

Another potential plot twist to monitor is whether the Knicks would have interest in acquiring Beasley. The Knicks previously expressed interest in signing Beasley when he was a restricted free agent, and former Timberwolves executive Gersson Rosas, who signed Beasley to a four-year, $60 million deal in Minnesota, is now working for the Knicks as a senior basketball advisor.

Imagine replacing Rose with Beasley!

Brunson
Mitchell
Grimes
RJ
Mitchell

McBride
IQ
Beasley
Obi
Hartenstein/ Sims

Not too shabby!

mafra

Legend
I would LOVE for the Knicks to get involved in these Nets-BOS trade talks? I would prefer Brown over Mitchell.

Expand deal to include LAK?.

Too difficult, I know, but would be better fit with our roster?.

Brunson
RJ
Brown
Obi
Mitchell

jimkcchief88

All Star
I hope we grab DM to right the wrong Fail Jackson made picking Frank instead. Amazing the ripple a bust lottery pick causes. My only untouchable would be RJ. I?m not holding my breath but get it done!

jimkcchief88

All Star
Don?t trade RJ or Grimes for DM!

This tweet is plaque-worthy:

?The RJ Barrett hate is weird? He just turned 22 & averaged 24 PPG in the final 42 games of this season? Can?t wait for year 4 RJ Barrett to set the league on fire #knicks?

If you care about facts (not other?s opinion) then compare PPG, RPG, APG for Giannis, Kawhi, Butler, and RJ for their 3rd season in NBA. Not saying that?s where RJ is headed? but he?s certainly more valuable than his critics claim.

This! Don?t get rid of RJ! Best pick we?ve made since PAT!

mafra

Legend
Reports today surfacing that both sides have re-engaged, now that both front offices are back from their summer vacation.

Naturally, Ainge leaks that CHA-WAS also in pursuit. Good, trade DM to them then? Oh, wait, you don?t want to bc they don?t have the draft assets you covet. Knicks have WAS?s 2023 first.

Camp opens next month, so NYK have the leverage until season begins? Ainge doesn?t want DM on team when real games start?. No sense making a move unless it?s on favorable terms? wait it out?. So what offer Utah is willing to accept on eve of season

Kiyaman

Legend
This! Don?t get rid of RJ! Best pick we?ve made since PAT!

Wsup Chief, u been drinking! Or did u forget we drafted ROY Mark Jackson, Rod Strickland, and Greg Anthony after Pat Ewing.
RJ Barrett's weak performance the past 3 seasons couldn't hold a candle to any of those 3 guards dynamic performance.

The past two seasons Quickley has been the Knicks best SG on the court.
And within those two seasons Bullocks & Burks has been the Knicks best SF on the court.
What position does RJ Barret play again ???
No NBA team asked for Barrett in a trade since we drafted him.

And if Cam Reddish want to remain in the NBA, after his final rookie contract season, he will have to dominate the Knicks SF position next season.
PG Brunson & D.Rose
SG Fournier & Quickley
SF Barrett & Cam
PF Randle & Obi
C MitchRob & Hart
My money will be on the Knicks 2nd unit backup lineup for the WIN !!!

mafra

Legend
Looks like Thibs would prefer to trade RJ over Grimes.

Ainge wanted 7 first rounders plus players?. Sounds like he lowered demand to 6 first rounders.

Methinks Leon Rose is willing to settle on RJ, Evan, McBride and 5 first rounders.

Rose is willing to deal 4, so he will compromised and go to 5 if Utah takes a bad contract.

I wonder if they get LAK involved, and flip Randle and Evan to LAK and they send 2 firsts to Utah.

I, too, prefer to deal RJ and keep IQ/Grimes/Obi for depth. Plus, they won?t have to give the max and have salary cap for next season

Camp begins in a few weeks so expect this to happen early to mid Sept.

But, sounds like NYK willing to include RJ? willing to give 4 first rounders. Sounds like a deal is close?