Hawks Waive Payton

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
The Hawks waived PG Gary Payton.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2003477

Suns stump for Glove; Celtics won't face sanctions
Stein
By Marc Stein, ESPN.com

Suns stars Shawn Marion and Steve Nash have told ESPN.com that they're personally lobbying free agent Gary Payton to sign with Phoenix after he clears waivers Thursday, but league sources indicate that Payton is leaning toward a return to the Boston Celtics.

Gary Payton
Payton

NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik, meanwhile, told ESPN.com on Wednesday that the league does not plan to sanction the Celtics if Payton does re-sign with Boston. The Celtics have been accused of prearranging Payton's return by trading him to Atlanta for Antoine Walker and promising to re-sign the veteran guard after the Hawks released him. General manager Danny Ainge has denied those claims.

Granik did say the practice of teams trading a player and then re-signing him after he clears waivers will definitely be "something we take a look at" in the process of ongoing negotiations with the players' union on a new labor deal. Granik also acknowledged that "there is something that doesn't feel quite right" when, for example, Dallas can include Alan Henderson in last Thursday's trade for Keith Van Horn and then reacquire Henderson after Milwaukee releases him. Thus, that deal suddenly became Calvin Booth for Van Horn.

"But in a salary-cap world, sometimes you end up with trades that make sense in accounting terms and don't necessarily make a lot of sense in the sporting world," Granik said.

"If Payton re-signs with Boston, I'm not sure what great harm has been done. It's not anything anyone in the league is that worked up about. It's hard to see where any great principles have been violated."

The only thing that would change that stance is if, say, the Celtics or the Mavericks were found to be paying an under-the-table bonus to Payton or Henderson as part of these trades.

"And I don't think anyone believes that that's taking place," Granik said.

To bring Walker back to Boston, Ainge sent Payton, Tom Gugliotta and Michael Stewart to the Hawks, along with a future first-round pick. The draft choice was Atlanta's motivation to participate, after which the Hawks happily bought out the remainder of Payton's contract and waived him in time to make the former All-Star eligible for the playoffs.

The only sure way to prevent Payton from choosing his next employer is claiming him off waivers. A claiming team, though, must have the salary-cap space to absorb Payton's $5.4 million salary and none of Payton's current suitors do.

Payton, according to sources, has narrowed his choices to the Celtics and Suns. Going to Phoenix would put him in close proximity to his family's main residence in Las Vegas and, more importantly, put the 36-year-old in contention for the championship ring he's still searching for. Adding Payton to the recently acquired Jim Jackson and Walter McCarty would ease the Suns' depth concerns. And with Payton, Phoenix could curtail Nash's minutes leading up to the playoffs as Nash recovers from recent hamstring trouble.

Indications are, however, that Payton wants to play significant minutes and preferably start, both of which are more likely with the Celtics. It's also likely that Payton feels he has a better chance of landing a new contract from Boston when he hits free agency again July 1, which could give him incentive to rejoin the Celtics as soon as possible.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
it will provide them not only with offense, but with depth off the bench, which they desperately need, but also a defensive presence, and a great passer who can help the suns run their fast break offense. This would be a great addition for them.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
hes a better defensive presense, that Leonardo Barbosa, their backup point guard at the moment, but yes he has lost a step or two,.

NYKnicks15

Starter
yea alot of people have been waived in the past few days....

Chris Crawford, Kenny Anderson and Gary Payton of Atlanta
Zendon Hamilton of Houston
Jamison Brewer of San Antonio
Glenn Robinson and Dale Davis of New Orleans
Wesley Person of Miami
Jahidi White of Charlotte
Alan Henderson of Milwaukee
Elden Campbell of New Jersey
Kedrick Brown of Philadelphia

On a side note Dale Davis is expected to sign with Indiana. Kenny Anderson has signed with the Clippers. Alan Henderson resigned with Dallas and Gary Payton is expected to sign back with Boston...

The point im getting to is if the league officials find anything interesting in the trading, waiving and the resigning from the team traded from in the Alan Henderson and more importantly Gary Payton scenario Boston could be in trouble here. Much like the Joe Smith and Minnesota situation not too long ago....so aslong as there careful with this he should be back in Boston but who knows he wants a ring bad hell go with Pheonix. but Barbosa has stepped it up lately and i have a hard time thinking Gary will accept a backup role behind Nash.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
i think if Payton really wants that ring bad, which i think he does, i dont think playing backup, especially to Nash would be a problem. Plus Phoenix would finally have an answer to winning without Nash.. They would win 100% of their games not 95%.

NYKnicks15

Starter
I guess it is, even though Nash and Marion have publicly pulled for Payton to come to Pheonix to play behind Nash...Payton has agreed verbally to rejoin the Celtics later this week. Rumored reason...starting position.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
he really said he wants to go back to Boston? Thats not smart on his behalf, if hes looking for a ring.. I guess he wants to play basketball, not for a ring, maybe he wasnt so selfish as I previously thought.

NYKnicks15

Starter
more than just said it, verbally agreed to Danny Ainge. Now it doesnt seem like a binding situation BUT if my 10th-12th grade law classes paid off haha (the ones i went to i mean) a verbal agreement is as good as a signed one or there near close too. So hes practically signed to a contract to go back to Bean Town.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
didnt Cleveland get screwed after Boozer accepted to a verbal contract? and what happened? he went to good ol' Utah... sucky move for Boozer, now with an underachieving east team, when he could have been playing with the next Michael Jordan, in one of the east's premier teams... anyway, I doubt Payton's going to go back on his word, our division just got better.. again.

NYKnicks15

Starter
not sure Boozer actually accepted a verbal contract. I believe he just told team mates and the owners he wanted to come back. A Verbal contract is like the making of a contract, speaking of terms cash etc etc then agreeing without signing yet. I dont believe boozer ever committed that greatly to it, because there was still speculation of him signing that offer sheet.....and Utah is a west team.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
oops, i dont know why i wrote east.. and thanks for clearing that up, i wasnt quite sure what the Boozer situation was anyway..