GAME THREAD: NYK VS. GS 3/6/05, 7:30 (W 115-99)

NYKnicks15

Starter
great outing by Sweetney...i truly like the futures he and Ariza have with this team. Tim Thomas solid start even with that hyperextended knee. Keep the faith Tim! haha.

BLAH lets all give in and wish for a decent amount of wins but NOOOO playoff appearance...if we dont make the lottery we lose a first round pick...id rather have that pick then a playoff run we wont do anything in...whos with me?!

Go Boston! Go Philly! Go Indiana! Go New Jersey! Go Toronto!....just for the rest of this season. ;)

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
keep Preaching it!! this is probably our most inmportnant draft pick we've had it, and we cant afford to lose it because of a meaningless playoff run. Sweentey is one shy of his career high in points and we're at half time!! Sweetney is god, like ive been saying, if he doesnt get in foul trouble, but KT's been making up for that.

NYKnicks15

Starter
remarkable play by everyone except Kurt Thomas, Jamal Crawford and umm Allan Houston haha. nah jk, good all around effort. Wish Kurt didnt get in foul trouble, but great outing by Mo Taylor, Malik Rose, Jermaine Jackson...isnt it just me or is Herb Williams somewhat punishing Jamal for his lack of D and sketchy ill advised shooting??? if he is mad props if not ill still think he is haha...

hard to pick a player of the game im going with three...

Tim Thomas 25 PTS 8 RBS...with a hyperextended knee...keep this going so I can see you in a Knicks uniform next year.

Mike Sweetney 19 PTS 7 RBS...ahh theres my boy, stays out of foul trouble for 3 qts and thats what he needs.

Stephon Marbury 26 PTS and 16 AST thats what being a floor general is all about good job!!!!

good win, but dont win too many ;)

Trin_Starr

Starter
OMG - did anyone see the monster dunk TT threw down on Foyle that rocked him right back right into the 1st row!!!! lol :hump:

That was great! lol

mdelton

Rookie
starting to like both trades

In previous posts I priased the Malik Rose trade and said what the hell is Isiah thinking about getting Mo Taylor.

After watching tonights game, I am starting to think differently. The dimension that Taylor adds to NY is that he can come off the bench and add instant offense. The guy has a serious offensive game. While Taylor is not the defender that Jerome Williams is, he creates problems for the opposing team. He is much better than Baker.

4 games five wins, it is not just the trades, but Tim Thomas is finally playing well, that may be the biggest difference. :hoops:

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
Trin_Starr said:
OMG - did anyone see the monster dunk TT threw down on Foyle that rocked him right back right into the 1st row!!!! lol :hump:

That was great! lol

if that isnt TOP 10 on sportscenter, i will officialy not watch ESPN for the rest of my life.. that dunk was insane!!! and that look he gave adonal foyle after it when he was laying on the ground, PRICELESS

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
penny didnt need to score this night, everyone else was picking up the slack and firing on all cyliders. He did however have a rebound, an assist, and a steal. But Jermaine Jackson (5 points), Malik Rose (8 points), and MO TAYLOR (15 points) were great contributers off the bench! penny will have his nights

NYKnicks15

Starter
if you read the other thread about the penny articles...hes complaining already. Im sure hell get more minutes when we trade him in the offseason...anyway, Rady the pic on the main page it says Stephon Marbury & Allan Houston...thats Mo Taylor ha, its kool though...he probably wont be here long either...

rady

Administrator
Staff member
thanks for the head up, i just took a glance at that pic, well, more to mo's haircut which looks like allan's :)

mdelton

Rookie
remember in 99 when we had Spree and Camby coming off the bench. they provided instant energy/offense.

Mo Taylor fits into that role, while he is not the speed or energy or Spree or Camby, he does provide serious offensive game.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
yeah, if Mo keeps his strong offensive play... Isiah may make some room for him, however i would take Malik Rose over him any given day of my life. That was a nice 7/8 from the field performance however, but i get the feeling that wont be happening too much

JaDaMeL05

Benchwarmer
Remember GStates, defense is crap. There like 28th in the league in everything. And the knicks knew that so they came out with instant confidence. Were gonna have to come out with that same confidence when playing good teams like Washington, Seattle and Miami. If we win these three games, I think we're definitely making the playoffs.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
ive said this many times before, but:

isnt it better to accept defeat and have one or two really bad seasons and then become a really good team? or would everyone rather just have every season for the next 4 or 5 years just be mediocre? if isiah was smart, he would have unloaded the roster at the beginning of the season when the knicks were at the top of the division, gotten rid of allan houstons contract one or two games after he came back, and basically unloaded the entire payroll and gotten rid of every contract except the rookies, such as sweetney and ariza. and i think he really could have done it at that time. now, its probably much harder, especially since hes taken on even more bad contracts. maybe we could have gotten a couple of draft picks out of our unloading, gotten 3 draft picks in teh first rd this year, tanked as a team, and gotten a. bogut, petro and warrick in the draft. and all of a sudden, we would have a great core of young players for next year.

INSTEAD WE ARE IN A STATE OF ENDLESS FUCKING MISERY. ALL THESE IGNORANT OPTIMISTS WHO THINK ISIAH IS DOING A GOOD JOB AND ACTUALLY HTINK THE KNICKS CAN WIN ARE RETARDED. AND MAYBE IM CRAZY AND AM THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN SEE THIS, BUT WE SUCK. AND NOT ONLY DO WE SUCK THIS YEAR, WITH THE WAY OUR PAYROLL IS, WE WILL SUCK FOR MANY YEARS TO COME UNLESS WE CAN SOMEHOW GET LUCKY AND FIND A SUPERSTAR IN THE DRAFT, WHICH WONT BE THAT LIKELY BECAUSE THE TEAM WILL PROBABLY BARELY MISS THE PLAYOFFS AND NOT GET A GREAT PICK.

doesn't isiah's trades piss anybody else off? doesnt the fact that we could have had webber AND carter this year (possibly) piss anybody else off?

so many people just seem so happy-go-lucky and get so excited if the knicks win a game or two here or there and all of a sudden get excited and think the knicks can actually make the playoffs and be a good team. i guess im just a pessimist then.

mdelton

Rookie
you make a good point, but....

You make a good point that we should go ahead and bite the bullet and be a really good team in two years.

How do you go ahead and bite the bullet, and even if yo can there are no guarantees. Look at some teams that have gone the rebuild route;
Orlando - they have been good but not great.
Chicago - has been a disaster.
Denver - they have improved but are not yet a championship caliber team.

What kind of moves would you have in mind?????

Sure I could see us buy out Houston and in two years his money will come off the cap. I could see us buy out Penny or let his deal expire at the end of next year and let the money come off the cap. Same with Tim Thomas.
The problem is that even if those four three were off the books taking no salary in return we would still be over $20MM over the cap, and not fully at that number for more than two years.
The diea of trading these guys for draft picks, most teams would need to send us back salary as well.

so how do we bit the bullet?

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
a knick fan said:
doesn't isiah's trades piss anybody else off?

yeah, personally, i hate all those first round draft picks he just got.. damn him! now we can get a big guy in the draft, (everyone knows he is trying to rebuild through the draft) now we can have someone like Johan Petro, which is just what we need.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
who has a more promising future? ny or chicago? ny or denver? ny or orlando? wouldnt u rather be a fan of any of those other teams - because at least they have a realistic chance of getting better over the next few years.

how exactly would we unload the roster? i cant get into specifics, because i dont know what other gm's are or are not willing to do. but basically, we'd have to package a guy like marbury along with houston and/or hardaway. nobod would take their contracts just by themselves, only if a guy like marbury was involved. then, if we coudl get under the cap, we could sign guys like redd, r. allen, k brown, swift, curry, etc... theres always good free agents every year. its just better to have an efficient payroll where you are ready to make a big move and sign a free agent than our current situation where we have no light at the end of the tunnel.