DeMarr Johnson

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
The very contraversial releasing of Demarr gets another update.. With Denver stocked with midlevel shooting guards (Wesley Person, Buckner, Boykins, DerMarr), they are right now primarily using DerMarr Johnson as a defensive stopper, and Karl recently made a statement about his improved D.

In fact, if you look at last night's game play by play you'll see that at the end of the fourth quarter, Johnson was subbing for Carmelo Anthony every time the team had to play D to hold off the Spurs. good job demarr....

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
how much did denver sign him for? we gave part of our MLE to vin baker and not him? so many people are so obsessed with big men, that they overpay them and draft them early in the first round even though they shouldn't. i wonder if baker was a 6'4 guard he would get the same chances he has gotten.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Answering the DeMarr talk....i think 1.1 for the season....Peach what controversial releasing are you talking about??!!? DeMarr is still with the Nuggets. and DeMarr signed a 10 day contract with us last season, then was signed for the rest of it after that...he was a FREE AGENT...cmon better investigation please Mr.Holmes. Second why are we talking about him? He's a good shooter, he plays a little D and yes hes good on NBA Live haha, whats the story here though? Im confused...

Answering the BigMen statements....no he wouldnt get the same chances...because this league isnt as scared of a 6'4 who can shoot...they're scared of a 6-11 big man and rightfully so...you dont go into a game and are (for the most part) like man Im so scared to play Ray Allen. He can shoot....scary yes? but not as much as big man...because you can stop a shooter...you cant stop someone like Shaq who hogs the paint and dominants under the basket...a big presence in the middle will always dominant, and be more lethal than any other player...unless the parents of the world stop producing people under 6-9...
on drafting you should pick what your team needs not just because he is big though...if our team picks a big man its PERFECTLY fine and makes sense. if Miami picks a big man itd be PERFECTLY dumb....

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
i said contraversial, because at the time I posted on a different knick site, and everyone was debating as to wheter to sign vin baker or demarr, and when we took vin over demarr, there was a lot of contraversy, I guess the same thing didnt happen here

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
so what good did it do the clippers to draft michael olowokandi 1st in the draft a few years ago? they, like so many other teams, were so obsessed with "getting a good big man", that they wasted a precious pick on a scrub. vince carter, paul pierce, mike bibby and larry hughes, just to name a few, were picked after him. and none of them is over 6'6. and im sure that everyone would agree that they are much more valuable to their teams than olowokandi is. its amazing how many picks are wasted on big men who turn out to do nothing - the knicks picked frederic weis, slavko vranes, and maciej lampei in recent drafts, none of whom have done squat in this league.

i just hope that isiah doesnt get so obsessed with trying to get a big man like other teams are and you (nykincks15) seem to be that he just picks any old 7 footer who turns out to be a total bust and its just a waste of a pick when he could have gotten a smaller player who actually would have contributed.

yes, its great if you can get a good big man, but dont waste a precious pick chasing one if you really dont think hes ever going to be any good. and this is especially true if you pick a high school kid and you are just hoping he will turn into something. darko milicic commes to mind. imagine if detroit had taken carmelo with that pick. yeah, they already had tayshaun at the 3, but who cares, you can always trade him, or use him to create a deeper bench. what trade value does milicic have? none. what good has he done for detroit? nothing. i really hope isiah doesnt get suckered like many fans seem to be into just "getting a big man". hes a gm, not an ignorant fan, so hes not allowed to make silly mistakes like that.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
thats ludicrous. miami definetely SHOULD pick a big man if they really feel that he has talent, EVEN if they dont need him at the moment. first of all , shaq isnt etting any younger, and hes probably going to play less and less minutes in the comming years. hes already been reduced to a 22/12 guy from 27/12. and if chris paul is available, even though we already have marbury, we would be crazy not to draft him (if he really is as good as people say he is - i dont know because ive never seen him play). even if we dont want him, lots of other teams would, and maybe they would trade a big man for him because they needed a point guard and already had enough big man. if we draft petro, and no team really wanted him because they wanted him to prove himself, he would have no trade value, and he'd probably just sit on the bench collecting checks his first four years inthe league anyway. no team would give us anything for him. i dont think theres any great immediate contributors at the center position in this draft anyway, so if you think you will just automatically find a starting center in this draft, i think you are being very naive and optimistic. petro aint startin nowhere, probably not even if he goes to charlotte.

NYKnicks15

Starter
its not me who is obsessed with big man. ive this game was based on 6-9 and smaller shooters and athletic/energetic players id like it more. BUT its the NBA that is obsessed with it. and it will never change. so the fact that we need a big man will never change. nor should it. just becauase we believe big men are overated doesn over shadow the fact that the game is based on them for the most part and we are in dyer need to get one.

About Milicic, i dont think they made a bad decision (as u can see in denver and detroits records) they only at the start of the season had who elden campbell and ben wallace? they needed backup they got it...now if you have actually seen Darko play hes actually quite good and will be a solid if not star player in the future...its Larry Brown (if u look at his track record) that doesnt play the younger guys. and it didnt hurt that they got Rasheed in a trade that year.

well the reason i used miami is because they have who at the PF/C positions?? Shaq, Mourning,Doleac, Zhizhi, Haslem and christian laettner. it would be kind of ludicrous for them to get a big man when they have 6 of them when they should go for a G or some type or SF if Jones leaves. If were in the draft and the best player (supposedly cause u dont actually know) is a 6-8 PF should we take him? No. why because you dont actually know who is great at that time or who will be a superstar (like Olowakandi ordeal LA needed a big guy they picked one) But also we already have 5 PF so we dont need another small one. If chris paul is their of course we take him! hes a PG...who do we have for a back up now? Jermaine Jackson?!

and (petro) your right hes probably not starting anywhere. But does every rookie start immediately? no. you earn your way to a slot unless your amazing or the team needs help in that position. example LeBron, Carmello, Wade....but wheres everyone else that everyone was raving about? they get stuck behind a stocked position...and honestly there is no amazing player in the draft...good ones and a few great ones but you never know until they make it to the nba. actually do you keep up on NCAA? if you do youd know there is Andrew Bogut whos dominant C from Utah, Chris Taft a dominant PF there are quality big men here. any players that will make a huge impact? not sure. is there any players that will be dominant there rookie season? not sure....we dont know whos going to be good in the nba (there are busts van horn, laettner, olowokandi but did they think they were going to be busts? no people were ranting and raving about how there team better pick them just like you are now and i was bout a big man)....well just wait and see what isiah does...