Official Draft Thread

mrj18

Benchwarmer
Guys, I'm having second thoughts on Petro. Many mocks are projecting him as a mid to late 1st round pick. Why should we pick him up with our lottery pick? I think we might want to consider someone else. Flip the coin on Taft or Green? Or maybe try and package our picks and something else to get Bogut. I don't know.

NYKnicks15

Starter
dont listen to mock drafts man. there a load of someones opinions nothing more, nothing less. Gerald Green will probably be going to college. Nate Robinson has declared himself officially (well in a couple days) and hes only slated to go second round..same with BJ Elder and Julius Hodge?!...something wrong here? It's not all about whos slated where (cause its BS besides for the 1-2 picks) its who we need and who the best player is...

Andrew Bogut is not that. He won one tournament game if i remember correctly and hes in the MCC thats the atlantic division of the NCAA but worse.

Taft is alright and a decent player but is only getting drafted so high because his 6-10 size. hes got a nice build but needs a lot of critiquing. not saying everyone doesnt when they make the jump..but hes used to playing stuff in ur face center..hows he going to do against bigger C's around the league? and he doesnt have the moves to be an effective PF at the moment

plus Petro is "slated in the mock draft" at twelve...thats lottery..i say still go with him.

Knicker Bocker

Benchwarmer
If Green declars for the draft which I think he will and him and petro are available at our first picks I would in a blink of an eye take Green...remember weis over artest, milicic over melo and that dude over MJ. I don't want that happening to us. However, I would try to package our second first round pick with something else to get a higher pick around 17 and 18 where we should really pick petro (Where he belongs). Man just think about it, drafting the next T-mac and Shaq. :shock2:

DownUnderKnick3

Benchwarmer
Everyone seems to be down on picking up Bogut but why?

Look at all these trophies and awards he has wracked up lately.

He's a pure 7 footer, has the bulk to bang it with the big guys. Has umbelievable dribbling and passing ability for a big man, and has great range. He also finishes well on BOTH hands, just have a look at his shooting %, think it was 4th in the nation. Not bad for a guy who consistantly put up 20+ points a night.

He may be the missing piece we need.

nyk35

Benchwarmer
I agree completely with DownUnderKnick3 i am also an aussie so i am hoping we can somehow pick him up. How can you say he is not a good player he went head to head against Tim Duncan he had 11 points 8 boards and a block on 4 of 7 shooting and 2 of 2 from the line not a bad effort against an mvp. And also DownUnderKnick3 youve heard of brad newley havent you? dont you reckon he is nba material aswell

mrj18

Benchwarmer
NYKnicks15 said:
dont listen to mock drafts man. there a load of someones opinions nothing more, nothing less. Gerald Green will probably be going to college. Nate Robinson has declared himself officially (well in a couple days) and hes only slated to go second round..same with BJ Elder and Julius Hodge?!...something wrong here? It's not all about whos slated where (cause its BS besides for the 1-2 picks) its who we need and who the best player is...

Andrew Bogut is not that. He won one tournament game if i remember correctly and hes in the MCC thats the atlantic division of the NCAA but worse.

Taft is alright and a decent player but is only getting drafted so high because his 6-10 size. hes got a nice build but needs a lot of critiquing. not saying everyone doesnt when they make the jump..but hes used to playing stuff in ur face center..hows he going to do against bigger C's around the league? and he doesnt have the moves to be an effective PF at the moment

plus Petro is "slated in the mock draft" at twelve...thats lottery..i say still go with him.
I know what you're saying, but do you think it has some truth to it? I mean I like Petro too, but many scouts are saying he's far from being ready. Personally I do not want to see this season repeat itself all over again next year. Taft is a huge question mark, but he is 260 though and is very muscular. He could get through with his athleticism and his nice body (no homo). I he plays in his hometown and has Aguirre work with him, he could really be a good player. I heard his strength is similar to Amare and if the Knicks can get him to be a poor man’s Amare, we’d be rolling in the right direction.

gknick11

Benchwarmer
Mocks are opinion, but a lot of mocks, like draftcity.com's, has actual scouts at games evaluating talent. They are the ones who tell teams, and essentially us, who's NBA-material and who isn't. I don't agree with any mock drafts, but I don't disagree, either. I look at it as who are the 60 players most likely to get drafted. What I like to do is watch these kids to see if they can possibly fit into what Isiah wants to do, which I hope is get an athletic team that can run the floor. I will make another mock draft, which is just my opinion, after the season's over and then when the lottery order is announced. As far as Green goes, he has said he wants to go to college, and also that he wants to see where teams think he will go if he were to enter the draft. I want him to go to college, but I wouldn't be surprised if he declared himself for the draft. I still want Petro because he's a legit 7-footer who has a good amount of athletisism. I've only seen clips of him here and there, but from what I've seen, it's worth investing in him. Unless Green's available, of course. The way it's looking now, we will end up with either the 7th or 6th pick. Not bad.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
heres wat they really gotta do

This all depends on alotta ish, but heres what i think zeke should do, if he really wanted to pull the trigger:

The Hornets are gonna end up 2nd or 3rd worst, so...

Sign & Trade for Maggloirre + George Lynch & their Lottery Pick (2 or 3 overall)

for

T. Thomas, Sweetney, Mo Taylor, Lottery Pick (6 or 7 overall), & Late 1st or Early 2nd Round Pick (whichever makes it work)

Hornets prolly willing to do it to get rid of Lynch, plus the fact theyre getting a 2 for 1 as far as draft picks, where they can draft a center and some guards...can use Mo Taylor for starting/backup PF & P.J. Brown at C (played him alot at C this year)

Knicks should use the pick to nab Marvin Williams, assuming he forgoes his soph. season. If they don't feel like starting him, just use Junkyard, seemed to work earlier this season. Should use their remaining pick to nab a decent backup PG.

gknick11

Benchwarmer
They are under contract for next season. Besides, Magloire has a base-pay contract, meaning that his cap number is different because his contract never increases. And since they are under the cap quite a bit this summer, I son't think they gonna wanna trade for Mo Taylor's contract. Lynch's can't be worse than Mo's. If it is, there's no way I want him. Our cap situation is already fucked.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
yeah gknick11 says it best.. our cap is f*cked.... we just need to hope that we can clear it up over the next couple years, put togethor a solid team, smart draft picks, and i hope we can contend.. in the east atleast, it would be fun to win again

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
What's the diff.?

You make a point, but a few things:

Everyone's under contract except Maggloire.

That means they wouldnt mind trading him instead of just giving him up for free.

Sweet and T. Thomas are in their final year.

Lynch is in his final year.

Rather than pay arguably their best player a max. deal, they wouldnt mind taking on 18 mil. of Taylor's contract + Timmy & Sweetneys contracts in their last year + our first round picks for Maggloire, who is too expensive for them + Lynch + their Lottery.

Lets face it, we need a friggin center, and at this point, our cap doesnt even matter. We don't get relief until like 2007, and all we'd have to do is sign Maggloire to a 4 or 5 year deal maxing 9 or 10 per.

With their Lottery we can draft Green or Marv Williams.

Screw the cap man, its NY, let them raise ticket prices if they have to if it means we contenders again...

Oh, and one more thing...Taylor & PJ would be coming off the cap for N.O. at the same time, so it might be in their interest to take this deal. And no, theyre not over the cap this or any year. Hornets team salary just grazes 35 Mill. 2nd Lowest in the league, and its only gonna get lower.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
that is a pretty interesting idea, i would love to have new orleans pick, its one more step to getting bogut or a beast center.. :afro:

gknick11

Benchwarmer
I'm not surprised he's entering the draft. He was saying that he wasn't, so I thought he wasn't. Then his dad came out and said he's gonna test the waters. So, basically, he's entering the draft. I kinda like Splitter, a Pau-like player. But a center is more needed. He won't be able to play center. I still want Petro, but getting him at the #7 spot might be a reach. I would'nt mind taking Blatche, either. I'm still holding judgement until I see him tomorrow morning. ESPN is re-airing the Jordan Classic, where he put up something like 22-16. Named the co-MVP. I'm gonna tape it, then I'll come back up on here and say whether he's worth it or not. Peace, for now.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
i just found the date to the draft, and if anyone was wondering, it is set for June 28th, a tuesday, at the theatre at madison square garden

NYKnicks15

Starter
now that the whole UNC team basically haha among others have declared themselves for the draft, its going to change the aspect of our original decisions. It's really hard to even guess what Isiah mite do. As much as some people say dont draft a big man yadda yadda what would Isiah look like if he didnt?? So heres my guess of what Isiah will do or Id want him to do...

With the 8 Pick, the New York Knicks select SF Gerald Green
The New York Knicks trade their #30 pick and #54 pick to whomever for the draft rights to C Johan Petro

Thats what I see at the moment...Isiah will trade up with the #30 pick to get his man. And we only draft 2 players this year instead of 3.