Official Draft Thread

Knicker Bocker

Benchwarmer
3 or 4 word answer: Who will the knicks draft this year. List 3 players and make sure you check their avalibility when we pick before you list them (I mean don't say that we'll get bogut if we for example get the 10th pick). Consider the kind of player the team needs and IT would draft. Don't just throw any names in there. Keep on listing your picks until the draft and we'll see who was right on draft day. :gony:

NYKnicks15

Starter
This is hard because we dont know where we will be in the draft. Dont know of yet who is actually in the draft for sure. And we dont know if Isiah will trade away a draft pick or trade for a higher one...one that note. as of right now, i see...

OUR FIRST, FIRST ROUND PICK
C Johan Petro (France)

OUR SECOND, FIRST ROUND PICK
C/F Channing Frye (Arizona)

OUR ONLY, SECOND ROUND PICK
G Massimo Bulleri (Italy) or G BJ Elder (Georgia Tech)

rady

Administrator
Staff member
i moved the topic in the main forum, stickied it and made it the official draft thread.
from now on, all the knicks-draft related discusions will be treated here :)

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
NYKnicks15 said:
This is hard because we dont know where we will be in the draft. Dont know of yet who is actually in the draft for sure. And we dont know if Isiah will trade away a draft pick or trade for a higher one...one that note. as of right now, i see...

OUR FIRST, FIRST ROUND PICK
C Johan Petro (France)

OUR SECOND, FIRST ROUND PICK
C/F Channing Frye (Arizona)

OUR ONLY, SECOND ROUND PICK
G Massimo Bulleri (Italy) or G BJ Elder (Georgia Tech)

nbadraft.net says petro is coming cout in o6 draft

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
NYKnicks-I doubt that Elder is coming out that late. He is a great scorer and I think he will go middle to late first round to a team like the Heat or Pistons.

With our First Pick I agree though, I think we will get Johan Petro if he comes out.

mrj18

Benchwarmer
I thought we didn't have a second rounder this year?

Anyway this is really scary and I hope it doesn't happen :(

FIRST ROUNDER
Taft

Don't know anyone else. Btw, I think we should draft overseas guys.

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
the last thing the knicks need is another 3sf or 4pf player i want a center or some gaurds who can come off the bench and get something done ...im sure u guys have noticed how flat we are every time marbury is on the bench.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
thats why a guy like Nate Robinson would be a great second round pick up.. he provides his team with not only hustle but skill, and will be a great backup, if not a starter in the NBA. So a big man first, and then a backup guard second is our perfect scenario

NYKnicks15

Starter
we have a second round pick from the Van Gundy ordeal...

Yes but Nbadraft.net had Trevor Ariza going to Miami last year. They dont even have our trade with San Antonio up there...they also had Jackie Butler getting drafted in the 2nd round, i believe he didnt get drafted at all though...the draft is unpredictable...so lets not rely on that and make our own generalizations.

if Nate Robinson does enter the draft this year, hell be gone before our second round pick....you also cant say BJ Elder will go that early, good player? yes. incredible player? no. and it all depends on who else enters if alot others enter that are rumored hell go in the second round...

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
well i think if Isiah was smart in finding Ariza in last years draft, im pretty confident in him finding someone decent this year.. i hope

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
NBAdraft.net is a mock draft and doesn't really base it on anything (does it?) and I didn't really go by that but we definetly should go for a top center and then go after a backup guard(s).

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
i think they have the top 5 picks pretty much down, definently with Bogut first, but after that who knows.. its pin the tail on the donkey i guess

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
i hope we dont make the mistake of drafting a 5 just for the sake of drafting a 5 because we need one. the clippers wasted a 1st overall pick on olowokandi. if i look back at the draft history im sure ill see a lot of wasted picks on big men. fred. wiess commes to mind. there dont seem to be a lot of good 5's in this draft anwyay.

how about gerald green as our first pick, and maybe isiah can trade up from the late first round to the middle and get hakim warrick there. yeah i know, two small forwards when we already have so many, but they both seem to have a lot of talent and potential. i can think of kobe and tmac who werent drafted very early (and probably after some less talented big men (because gm's made the mistake of drafting a big man just because of his size)).

assuming (and its a big if) we could do craw and kurt for ray allen
and trade penny and tims expiring contracts for either draft picks, a decent center, or other expiring contracts, or something good, maybe we could have a roster that goes something like this...

marbury
r. allen/houston
warrick/ariza
sweetney/rose/taylor
k. brown at center (somehow well get him in a trade using expiring contracts or draft picks)?
center - i dunno what were gonna do about this...maybe sign some guy for a MLE? is there any FA's this year (k. brown, curry (i doubt theyll sign for the MLE))? maybe we'll get a decent center (how about nesterovich of san antonio) through a trade somehow.

that would be a good roster, with talent, youth, and a team that i think could do some damage in the playoffs

i wouldnt bank on getting a center in this years draft. even if petro commes out, i really doubt that young kid will do anything more than sit on the bench his first few years in the league, a la kwame brown, jermaine o'neal, etc.

dacash

Benchwarmer
seeing as we are loaded at pwr fwd,any body think we should trade k thomas and penny(or something like that) new orleans for jamal maglorie. keep rose as starting pwr fwd and draft
pg jarrett jack
sg/sf rashad mccants
sg/sf julius hodge

NYKnicks15

Starter
yea magloire is always a possibility especially with orleans trying to unload and get younger which would make sense for the penny part (expiring contract) but Kurts 4 year deal maybe isnt as interesting to them but id love it none the less....i think Kwame if anyone is the biggest possiblity aswell as the maybe a slight chance at the disgruntled Eddy Curry...I think the roster will be really shaken up in the offseason or right before the tradedeadline.. but getting to the draft...

im still sticking with my bet at C Johan Petro, hes slated for late first round pick...now as i know he wont be automatically contributing its not all about a one year quick fix is it? and how many players are right away contributors in the first place?...

the question at the top was "consider what the team needs and what IT would pick"...and in his trip to Europe Isiah was very very fond of Petro aswell as reports that Isiah already has his eyes set on who he will be drafting...take that for whats its worth....

if we play it smart and GO to the lottery instead of a brief stint in the playoffs we get our 2 first round picks...so on that basis im kinda biased now that Charlie Villenueva has declared his name for the draft...this is going on Seniors and people slated to go on the draft of course..

C Johan Petro
C-F Charlie Villaneuva OR C-F Channing Frye
G BJ Elder

mrj18

Benchwarmer
I like Johan Petro and I'd say draft him. Too bad he has no offense though, but I'm sure Aguirre can turn him into something special.

The Knicks have no second round pick this year.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Yea great size, great shot blocker, great athleticism...no offense, skills are there just not a developed game but im sure Aguirre and if hes still here Herb can teach him like they did Sweets...

why dont we have a first rounder? because of the Tim Thomas trade???...we still have one from the Van Gundy ordeal..

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
http://www.charlievillanueva.org/

lol check that site out..

anyway, I think Villaneuva can really gown into a great center, and be one of the choices to our problem... hes got athletisim, and defense, and we've seen at times he has the ability to be a great offensive threat.. If we can get him armed with muscle and the right ideas on how to play, i believe he would fit right in... he is, ofcourse from brooklyn, so i feel he would love to play for the Knicks, like so many New York kids do.

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
Lol, yah. He is so scary looking. Hey, maybe he will give our opponents some intimidation to play us??

Anyway, I agree with Peach, he is really built, fairly tall and can develop into a soild C. He is only a sophmore though, I think, so I don't know if he is coming out.