Official Draft Thread

gknick11

Benchwarmer
That's asking a lot for a rookie, but it's possible. I see Marvin coming out if they win it all this year. Otherwise, I see him going back this year. I want Petro this year. I want the win tonight, but I want a lottery pick after that. The best we can possibly get.

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
gknick11 said:
That's asking a lot for a rookie, but it's possible. I see Marvin coming out if they win it all this year. Otherwise, I see him going back this year. I want Petro this year. I want the win tonight, but I want a lottery pick after that. The best we can possibly get.

This is what I said with Marvin. Although I think he is coming back no matter what.

mrj18

Benchwarmer
gknick11 said:
I meant in the near future, like in his 3rd or 4th year. The guy is only 18 or 19, I understand how hard it is for him to put up big numbers as a rookie. His first year he might average 7 points 7 rebounds and a block. I know we are getting this guy because of potential too.

Anyone interested in Vladimir Veremeenko? He's another European, from Russia. He's the leader there, he can shoot and pass. He's only 235 and is 6'11, but that can be dealt with. He doesn't really have consistent 3 point range yet, but his midrange jumper is on point. Some comparisons are a poor man's Dirk! That's not a bad thing at all.

NYKnicks15

Starter
just some confirmations and speculations towards the draft...

Chris Taft WILL declare that he indeed will be in this years draft after the NCAA finals ends...

Andrew Bogut WILL declare that aswell...

Marvin Williams on the other hand stated "Forward Marvin Williams' NBA draft prospects are the subject of considerable speculation, but he said Saturday he is leaning toward returning for his sophomore season.

He said he loves college and playing for Roy Williams at North Carolina. "I will sit down and talk to coach and see what's best for me," Marvin Williams said. "If I have to (go to the NBA) next year, if that's what's best for my family, then that's what I have to do. But I do enjoy being here."

thanks to the Charlotte Observer for that news...

so Bogut, Taft in...
Williams not?

mrj18

Benchwarmer
PLEEEEEASE everyone here, let's stay away from Chris Taft. He seems like the power forward version of Tim Thomas.

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
gknick11 said:
Here is nbadraft.net's "disclaimer," of sorts:

The NBADraft.net Mock Draft is a year round, continuosly updated projection of the NBA Draft.

While the NBA season is going on, the teams are projected in reverse order of record. Once the NBA season ends, the order of the teams from 15-60 are in place. After the May draft lottery, the official order of the draft is set.

The team needs are not factored into the mock draft until after the NBA season ends.

NBADraft.net has been the only site to project both the first and second rounds of the draft for the current and following year for the past 5 years.

Our projections are based on the opinions of the scouts that work for NBADraft.net, and the NBA and International scouts that we speak with.

To answer the original question, I think we should take:

Johan Petro, C, France.
Channing Frye, PF/C, Arizona.
Alan Anderson, SG, Michigan St.

i like your picks but i think one change would be bj elder instead of allan henderson

gknick11

Benchwarmer
I don't think Houston is gonna have a high enough 2nd round pick for us to draft BJ Elder. I think he's gonna get drafted earlier than where they'd pick. That's why I said Anderson. He's got size, some we lack in the backcourt. Even though Ariza and Tim Thomas have been playing the 2 sparingly, they aren't shooting guards. I think Anderson could be a big two in the NBA.

gknick11

Benchwarmer
Here are a couple pages worth checking out on Petro, for those of you that would like more info on the kid:

http://www.draftcity.com/viewarticle.php?a=61

http://www.draftcity.com/viewprofile.php?p=45#

I'd say he's worth it. The article is a little outdated, but I didn't really try to look for anything updated. It just looked the most interesting. I say Petro 'cause he's the type of player Isiah would like and 'cause Martynas will be gone by the time we draft him. It's funny what the Euro clubs will do to protect their young players. Too bad it doesn't work.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
man those stadiums looked packed in those pics... lol they're basically deserted.. i guess european b-ball isnt exactly all that..
well two good pages on petro, i think he can grow into a great player.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
Petro seems ok, Bogut seem Bogus (See how small he played against but was routinely beaten laterally by the guards. He also lacks positioning. I don't want to duplicate positions. I hope the Knicks take Blatche, cause he's local, very athletic, and younger. I'd rather have a guy who can move laterally. Look at some guys that don't have the speed to keep a guy in front of them. They get hung defensively, and you constantly have to scheme so they don't cost you the game. I'll take a Garnett clone over a Luc Longley clone any day.

mrj18

Benchwarmer
Peach_NYK_21 said:
as of late Tim Thomas has been amazing?? we dont want a tall guy, whos athletic and has range??
So, you want a career underacheiver who plays no defense, barely utilizes his height, is a horrible rebounder, a whiner, and has low basketball IQ??? That's not my type of draft pick.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
well when you say it like that, its not like i can say yes.. i was just saying that this could be a turnaround from tim thomas, and if we're not going to keep him, we're going to feel it, because Ariza doest really have the range, but i feel if he can work on it Ariza could be a great well rounded player

NYKnicks15

Starter
thats because those were the three interested in him last year. Isiah wasnt until he took that trip this year and saw him in person, and we needed a big man...

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
Oh alright. I thought this was a recent interview. Ok, because I thought Isiah was interested in him and this clears everything up. Thanks.

NYKnicks15

Starter
it kinda is Brian. its from October 2004...but the question was what teams expressed interest for you during that draft process...cause he put his name in last years until he backed out...so it was asking AT THAT TIME what teams did...not the present :) Isiah is interested VERY interested...

PS, Brian check ur PM thanks