Official Draft Thread

mrj18

Benchwarmer
portega1968 said:
mrj18, wakeup my friend...we ARE stuck with Crawford at the 2 unless Allan Houston pulls a Grant Hill on us. Have you seen the defense from our point guards? That along with the lack of a good sevenfooter is the main culprit of this year's underachievement. You say we have 4 pgs... but how many PFs do we have? Bringing in Taft wouldnt be the wisest choice as he would just further the glut at the 4. Vazquez on the other hand would give us great shotblocking at center, he can finish on the break and fadesaway quite Hakeem-ishly, but at 6'10" would be another undersized center. I'd rather go with Tiago Splitter, who's younger than Vazquez. He's taller and has great upside. He has a very good post up game down low. Also Andrea Bragnani could quite well turn out to be the next Nowitzki. We must stay away from Martynas Andreskivicius.
Why not trade Marbury? And I don't see why we should draft a PG playing 10 minutes at most behind Marbury if he isn't traded. What I want is Marbury gone for picks and an expiring contract, and I want Crawford at the 1 and Houston at the2. Houston had (from January until in October when training camp begins. I think he'll be okay. He thinks so too. Seeing a 6'5 and 190 pound Crawford AGAIN playing SG is devastating.

I'm more worried about effectiveness than his height. Taft is strong at 260 and has a pretty good wingspan. He's not severly underszed at 6'10. He played center at college and he's used to it. Nazr was 6'10, he didn't have a whole bunch of problems with height. Vazquez is 6'10 with a jumpshot and shotblocking ability. That seems to be it. Many scouts question his upside in fact, a poor man's Marcus Camby is what I'm hearing from him. I like Camby a lot, but a poor man's Camby with my 8th pick is not what I want. He's also 22 years old and still has no post game at all. Effectiveness is the most important thing to worry about...not really height. Ben Wallace is 6'9 and he deals with the center position quite well. On the other hand, Splitter is rail thin at 7 feet and gets manhandled by cats in Europe...imagine what will happen playing over here! He's a natural PF and we're taking him out of his natural position at such a young age (I think 18 or 19). Martynas is a project, but Aguirre can turn him into a MONSTER. He's 7'2 has good athleticism a good jumpshot and on top of that, he's pretty quick. He;s very raw, but Martynas is a project. Once Aguirre gets a hold of him, we could be looking at the most dominant centers since Shaq left (all jokes aside. No I'm not high either ;)) Also he's been playing with Sabonis one of the international greats in the NBA. There is also a chance Ewing can come to New York and if he gets a hold of Martynas too, it can be something serious. Once he gets some muscle and polishes some skills (plus learn some too) we can be looking at a real great player.

You don't build a team on potential or upside, you build a team by balancing it and by accomodating your needs. The Knicks need a center the most and a PG the least. While Felton and Williams are very solid PG's, we simply don't need them and we will be stunting their growth as they ride the bench in New York. I don't see why we should get a PG unless it's in the second round.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
General Offseason Plan

S & T
K. Thomas for Kwame (6 yr. / ~ 7 Mill)

3 -Way Trade
Indy Gets:
Penny, A. Harrington, & 2006 or 2007 1st (protected top 5)

Ny Gets:
Artest, Croshere, & E. Gill

Atl Gets:
Pollard & 8th Pick

2 -Way Trade
Boston Gets:
JYD

Ny Gets:
M. Blount
Future Early 2nd Rounder

FA's
Note: Swift & Hunter probly won't be available to us this summer
so this still leaves us /w/ our MLE & LLE to use.

LLE: Sign F. Williams
MLE: Offer Gadzuric Full MLE, but Bucks will match...sooooo
Offer J. James Full MLE, but some other team will overpay for him...
Offer C. Anderson MLE, but will another team overpay for him???

Hopefully one of those 3 can be our 2nd String Center.
Most Likely: Chris Anderson, only b/c he plays D and comes cheap

2005 Draft
30th Pick: A. Blatche if he is available...if not - R. Turiaf
54th Pick: Julius Hodge

Projected 2005 Depth Chart

Kwame / Anderson / Blount / Blatche or Turiaf
Rose / Taylor / Sweetney
Artest / TT / Croshere
Ariza / Crawford / J. Hodge
Marbury / F. Williams / Gill

Lemme know wat you think.... :afro:

nyk35

Benchwarmer
Thats got to be one of the best possible lineups i have heard , i just think it might be a risk taking on kwame but ron artest sounds good

NYKnicks15

Starter
is that really the best possible line up? As much as I would like Kwame on the team 6 years-7 million dollars?! Harrington back in Indy? Artest leaves Indy?

C Bruno Sundov
C Jackie Butler
F Kurt Thomas
F Maurice Taylor
F Mike Sweetney
F Malik Rose
F Jerome Williams
F Tim Thomas
F Trevor Ariza
G Jamal Crawford
G Penny Hardaway
G Allan Houston
G Stephon Marbury
G Jermaine Jackson

Dont resign Jermaine Jackson or Jackie Butler at the moment
Resign Bruno Sundov for very cheap of course

SEA GETS- Penny Hardaway, Jamal Crawford & Bruno Sundov
NYK GETS- Ray Allen & Vitaly Potapenko

CLE GETS- Maurice Taylor and Kurt Thomas (or Jerome Williams)
NYK GETS- Zydrunas Iglauskas

WAS GETS-Jerome Williams (or Kurt Thomas)
NYK GETS- Kwame Brown

DRAFT- G Gerald Green & G Julius Hodge (who could go in the second) and trade up with our 30th to get a Hakim Warrick or Johan Petro unless the are still there...

C Zydrunas Iglauskas/ Kwame Brown/ Vitaly Potapenko
PF Mike Sweetney/ Malik Rose/ Johan Petro
SF Tim Thomas/ Trevor Ariza
SG Ray Allen/ Gerald Green/Allan Houston
PG Stephon Marbury/Julius Hodge

Realistic in chances...realistic in going to happen? probably not. But i think with what we have and due to budget restrictions I think THIS is the best possible line up...

NYKnicks15

Starter
yea it definietely does...

SEA GETS- around 23 million
NYK GETS- around 20 million, mite have to give the MLE aswell

CLE GETS- around 14.5-15 million
NYK GETS- around 14.5 million

WAS GETS- around 6-6.5 million
NYK GETS- around 6-7 million

Iglauskas wants the big money but not too many years according to reports. A sign and trade with Washington would work seeing Brown is owed 6.9 if they take him up on his contract. And the same with Ray Allen (with the sign and trade) but he wants the max. so now that it all works out...what do you think??

gknick11

Benchwarmer
I like the Seattle trade, but I don't think Kwame is a center. It's still too early to talk trade considering that we haven't drafted anyone yet. Our picks could be projects (Petro, Blatche, whoever w/ 2nd rounder), so we might be aggressive in free agency and with trades. But if we get players that can play now, then our philosophy towards free agency and trades changes. I wouldn't mind Kwame as a Knick, but only if we were able to get rid of two of our power forwards for him, not just one. Like KT and Sweetney for a resigned Kwame, so that way Kwame is our starting power forward and the JYD, Mo and Malik come off the bench. Personally, I really like JYD, but if we were to start him along side Kwame would make our lineup fairly small. Not that it isn't right now, but as far as the future goes, we won't be able to fully compete unless the offense is revamped to the point that Steph and Kwame become one the hardest pairs to guard off the pick & roll. I still say we should gamble and take Petro. He is completely different than the last Frenchman we drafted, he-who-not-be-named.

gknick11

Benchwarmer
What do you guys think of all these players entering the draft? If there was a minor league and two more rounds, then I'd be all for it, but some of these kids are making the wrong decision.

nyk35

Benchwarmer
Heres another idea trade jamal crawford to atlanta for tyronn lue and their first overall draft pick. Then draft bogut gerald green and Johan Petro also push Trev into the starting lineup and Have TT coming off the bench. Trade for a good starting pf.

C- Andrew Bogut
PF-Mike Sweetney/offseason pick up
SF-Trevor Ariza
SG-Gerald Green
PG-Starbury

Reserves
C-Petro?
PF-Mo Taylor/Malik Rose/Kurt Thomas( if they are still around)
SF-JYD/T.T
SG-H20
PG-Tyronn Lue

Roster:
PG: Marbury/ Crawford/ Jackson
SG: Crawford/ Houston/ Hardaway
SF: T.Thomas/ Ariza/ Williams
PF: Sweetney/ Rose / Taylor/ Williams
C: K.Thomas/ Sundov/ Butler/ Rose

1. Don’t sign up our FA Sundov, Jackson, Butler

1st Trade:

Outgoing:
NYK
Jamal Crawford
Tim Thomas
Kurt Thomas
NOH
Jamaal Malgoire
George Lynch
Chris Andersen
David West
PHI
Chris Webber

Incoming:
NYK
Jamaal Malgoire
Chris Webber
NOH
Tim Thomas

PHI
Jamal Crawford
Kurt Thomas
Chris Andersen
George Lynch
David West

Why:
1. This Trade works financially
2. NYK get what NYK need: inside presence in All Star Center and All Star PF, and C-Webb’s versatility and one more star to the roster. NY sending one of expiring contracts to NOH who are in rebuilding mode and get young veteran who must to play for next contract. NOH sending All-Star center who isn’t happy in NO a restricted FA whom they can’t sign in C. Andersen and get cap relief in outgoing contracts of G. Lynch and D. West. PHI finding solution for unsuccessful experiment with C-Webb and AI. They unload C-Webb’s contract and get solid PG in Crawford so AI can play SG, defensive PF who can play pick’n’roll with AI in KT, a backup center and pf in C. Andersen, veteran backup for Iguodala who has 1 year left on his contract and young PF in D. West.

Roster:
PG: Marbury/
SG: Houston/ Hardaway
SF: Ariza/ Williams
PF: Webber/ Sweetney/ Rose / Taylor/ Williams
C: Malgoire / Rose

2nd Trade

Outgoing:
NYK:
Malik Rose
Maurice Taylor

MEM:
James Posey
Dahntay Jones
ORL:
Kelvin Cato

Incoming:
NYK:
James Posey
Dahntay Jones
Kelvin Cato
MEM:
Malik Rose
ORL:
Maurice Taylor

Why:
1. This trade works financially, but it is little optimistic. But purpose of this trade is to fill holes in roster and to get some cap relief
2. NYK get Starting SF and backup C and SG/PG and unloads heavy contracts. Memphis get backup PF (there won’t be Stromile there any more) and let backup SF to go and ORL get another soft PF (they already have this in Pat Garrity and this is the biggest hole in this trade)

Roster:
PG: Marbury/ Dahntay Jones
SG: Houston/ Hardaway
SF: James Posey / Ariza/ Williams
PF: Webber/ Sweetney/ Williams
C: Malgoire / Kelvin Cato

DRAFT:
Scenario 1 - Projects
8th pick: Geerald Green
30th pick Erazem Lorbek
54th pick Milan Majstorovic
Roster:
PG: Marbury/ Dahntay Jones
SG: Houston/ Geerald Green/ Hardaway
SF: James Posey / Ariza/ Williams/ Milan Majstorovic
PF: Webber/ Sweetney/ Erazem Lorbek
C: Malgoire / Kelvin Cato

Scenario 2
8th pick: Chris Taft
30th pick Channing Frye
54th pick Marcelo Huertas

Roster:
PG: Marbury/ Marcelo Huertas / Dahntay Jones
SG: Houston/ Hardaway/ Dahntay Jones
SF: James Posey / Ariza/ Williams
PF: Webber/ Sweetney/ Channing Frye
C: Malgoire / Chris Taft / Channing Frye/ Kelvin Cato

AND We Still have MLE and LLE

What do you think?

NYKnicks15

Starter
my fault for putting my trade idea in this thread...everyone please put your ideas in the TRADE THREAD!! this is the offical draft one...

But late news is that Memphis besides for wanting to trade Jason Williams for Sam Cassell...wants to get rid of their 19th pick overall...FOR at most 3 million dollars....

ATTENTION ISIAH BUY THIS DRAFT PICK...USE THE MLE I DONT CARE.
We then would have a legit shot at 4 NEW YOUNG PLAYERS!!! and if not use it to trade up for Green or Petro or whatever else you need it in...

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
thats great news. the one thing knicks have is a lot of money to spend. thats great if we can buy draft picks. isiah should jump all over that right now.

NYKnicks15

Starter
WORKOUT UPDATE

Since my last update the New York Knicks have worked out 10 new players. This makes the offseason work out list jump from 8 to 18...heres the list so far..

C::: Luke Schenscher
PF::: Jack Ingram, David Lee
SF::: Jamaal Levy, Hakim Warrick, Joey Graham, Otis George, Chuck Hayes
SG::: Ricky Shields, Stephen Graham, Julius Hodge, Tie Simmons, BJ Elder, Luther Head
PG::: Chris Thomas, Aaron Miles, Travis Diener, Will Bynum

6thman

Benchwarmer
Yeah for sure, they gonna get the 2 8)
If they pick the 6th or 7th it would be great!!

What about Chris Taft? He looks very good. The knicks didn't pay attention to him....

WiL8000

Rotation player
Yea it's too bad we couldn't get higher than 8. ESPN seems to think that the Knicks will select Chris Taft out of Pittsburg.

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
Gerald Green is the truth if Isiah doesnt draft him and hes available it would be the biggest mistake this franchise has made in the past 5 years....and with this franchise that says alot

dacash

Benchwarmer
jarrett jack
julius hodge
andrew bynum

keep : marbury,crawford,ariza,jyd,rose,houston(will die here)

try and get:k. brown,d.stoudmire,l odom