Official Draft Thread

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
DRAFT BPA, GET CENTER, SAVE $$$....Playoffs, Here We Come!

Here's 2 different ways I think we can accomplish those 3 goals. Personally, I'd go for the 2nd scenario, but either is a major improvement:

TRADE

Resigned Eddy Curry

FOR

Kurt Thomas, Mike Sweetney, 54th Pick

Why?

B/c Paxson is said to be willing to part /w/ Curry b/c there's no certainty how Curry will bounce back from his hiatus due to the supposed heart condition. His absence hurt their interior presence in the playoffs. While Curry has size, he doesnt play good D. Kurt is the type of low post defender that would enable Chandler to come from the weakside and REALLY inflict some damage. Plus Sweetney sures up their Frontcourt bench, and /w/ the 54th Pick, they get in this year's draft. For us, we get the legit Center that Zeke promised us, and give our glut of PF's a diet. And let's not forget - Curry and Crawford are best of friends, and this might make the transition much easier.

All in all, it'd be hard to find a better deal to convince Chicago to part ways with Curry...

DRAFT

8: Antoine Wright --
Can play 2-3 positions, and is reminiscent of a poor man's Paul Pierce. He can hit the trey or slash to the basket, and has good enough handle to play minutes at the point. Best of all, he plays good man-to-man D and plays the passing lanes as well...

30: Turiaf -- Very reminiscent of Etan Thomas. Instead of trading for Boozer, just draft Ronny. He's taller (close to 6-10) and is very aggressive on D.

FREE AGENCY

Resign
Jermaine Jackson & Jackie Butler to LLE (for insurance purposes)

ROSTER

Curry, Turiaf, Butler
Rose, Taylor
Timmy, Ariza, JYD
Crawford, Wright
Marbury, J. Jackson

IR: Penny, Houston

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OR...............

TRADE

Boozer

FOR

Penny, Sweetney

Why?

B/c apparently Utah is done /w/ their Boozing experiment. They wanna shed some fat off their cap simulataneously if they can. Well, Penny takes more than 15 Mill. at once, saving them about 5 Mill this year, and Millions the next 5 years by not having to pay Boozer's longterm contract. We get ourselves a legit starting PF, and it doesn't hurt the roster b/c we get rid of Sweets in the process, who Zeke isn't too fond of. And apparently, rumors of a similar deal came out of the Q & A that Isiah held recently for season ticket holders...

DRAFT

8: Frye --
Is a legit Center, is NBA ready, and can get some blocks, boards, and has a nice mid-range jumper. Has added some bulk, and improved his hops and lateral quickness recently. Not necessarily the BPA, but in getting Boozer, we don't have the means to trade for a better big man.

30: Julius Hodge-- His shooting is a little suspect, but he was a leader on his ball club this season. Hodge is a great prospect b/c he's versatile and a solid defender, and can play the point as well as the 2 and 3. Plus he bleeds NYC...

54: S. Graham -- Just as talented as his brother, Joey. Is more versatile in fact, and can play 3-4 positions. Could be a huge steal at 54.

FREE AGENCY

Resign
Jackie Butler to Less than LLE (for insurance purposes)

ROSTER

Frye, Kurt
Boozer, Rose, Taylor
Timmy, Ariza, JYD
Crawford, S. Graham
Marbury, Hodge

IR: Houston

portega1968

El Cacique
though I love Boozer's game, and Graham/Hodge will be effective pros, I just don't like Frye, plus that scenario adds some serious cap tax...I prefer your first scenario cause Wright has game (and it seems Webster also), it cleans up the jam at the 4 and leaves timmys and pennys contracts for the feb deadline, however, I'm thinking Curry does have a serious health problem and I believe that should be totally cleared up, so I'm still thinking Kwame or Z...Ewing plays nicely, but this draft is just so deep that I believe there will be many other solid players to choose from

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
As far as Frye is concerned, he's been quoted as saying "Take me a few months ago, and add 100 % to that... that's where I'm at now". Whether you wanna believe it or not is up to you, but I think he's a very serious candidate at 8...it's hard to pass up a talented NBA-ready Center nowadays.

I think Wright offers more than Frye, he reminds me of a poor man's Paul Pierce. And the fact that he plays D is really nice, b/c our perimeter D sucked. Not only that, but he's a shooter...

You also have to seriously consider Granger and Graham...

Like I said, making that Curry deal would clear our glut of PF's quicker, but that doesn't necessarily mean our team would be better. We wouldn't really have a legit starting PF, and I doubt Curry is THAT much better than Frye. Offensively, yes, but certainly not defensively, where we need the most help. But I guess you could say, size is size and we should be happy either way.

I'd take either scenario, but you never know how it'll pan out. Team chemistry is something you can never really predict. But looking at it on paper, I'd have to take Boozer over Curry, simply b/c our team overall is even more improved IMO...

portega1968

El Cacique
well, we'll have to wait till july14 to see how free agency plays out, I'm just hoping Isiah will look for a starting center then and not with the 8th...time will tell if I'm wrong about Frye being another 7foot bust and that Fran Vazquez will prove to be a more versatile player...assuming Green is gone, I insist in choosing Webster (young Glen Rice) or Wright (Ray Allenesque)...if we are lucky and both are miracously on the board, I'd choose Webster hoping that his Seattle roots will mesh nicely with Jamal even if Wright has college exp...I also insist Milwaukee will go with Williams and Atlanta with Paul, so that Portland pick would give us, in my opinion the only NBA-ready starting center...and with the 30th pick I'd take Marko Lekic or Ryan Gomes

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
Btw, what you think of this?

Draft Frye at 8

Draft Hodge at 30

THEN

Still Trade Resigned Curry

FOR

Kurt, Sweetney, 54th

THEN

Resign Jackie Butler to LLE

ROSTER

Curry, Butler
Frye, Rose, Taylor
Timmy, Ariza, JYD
Crawford, Hodge, Houston
Marbury

IR: Penny

This follows through with how Curry needs a defensive-oriented PF to compliment him. We'd have our own version of the Twin Towers, and both Frye and Butler can play the 4 AND 5. And Julius Hodge is gonna be a steal in the 1st Round. He can play PG, SG, and even some SF, and is gonna be a solid shooter eventually. And cmon, he's straight outta NYC.

Don't forget - Curry and Crawford are best friends, so the transition should be smooth. And most important of all, we don't add $$ to the salary....in fact, by letting Timmy and Penny slide off the cap (or resign Timmy to MLE next year), we cut off alotta the extra fat WHILE getting better...

Hello everyone, just joined this website and I would like to say that knicks need to draft a decent center and the best one availible for#8 is Channing Frye , then knicks will just need to draft a guard at#30 and a PF/SF at#54

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
granger does seem like a player with potentiol, but we cant forget about Ariza, granger would be a good pick, but im not sure if we oculd get him out there, atleast this year, while we're still developing the skills of last years rookie

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
its funny how much time all us fans spend making up trades that will improve the team, and most likely none of our proposals will ever happen.

instead, isiah disappoints time and time again...getting scrubs like malik rose and mo taylor in his last dealings.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
is it me or did i remember seeing frye being listed at 6-10 at one point, then 6-11, and now 7-0. i know guys can still grow, but i have a suspicion that maybe guys "fudge" an inch or two at draft time.

i think hes not mobile/athletic enoguh to hang with the kenyon martins and tim duncans of the league and play the power forward position. and if hes only 6-11, being as skinny as he is, and noting that really every inch DOES count, im not sure about how good a center he could be. i cant think of many great under-7 foot centers except alonzo mourning (who was a lot more athletic and hulk-like than frye is).

i havent seen him play much, but im just skeptical, teams always seem to waste high draft picks on big guys just because they say "welll hes big, we need a big guy, and hes got some skills", and they pass up on a real talent.

i want isiah to pick the most talented guy who can really be a star in the league with the draft. yeah, we need a center, but its not like frye will all of a sudden make the knicks into a great team. we will still suck, with or without frye.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
brazililans are lazy. i remember anderson varajeo was at one point a high lottery pick and slowly slipped. he doesnt seem to work hard and i dunno how good he will be.

ive never seen splitter play, but i dunno...maybe all hes got is a big body with some skills...it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed in the nba...seems like those brazilians just like time in the sun and the beach.

nene, who i believe is from brazil, seems more hard working, but he hasnt raelly done too much for a 7th pick, wasnt he the baby ben wallace?

nyk35

Benchwarmer
This is a good lineup i dont care what anyone says .

C-Frye 6'11
PF-Sweetney 6'8
SF-Ariza 6'8 / Q 6'6
SG-Richardson 6'6 / Crawford 6'5
PG-Marbury 6'2 / Crawford 6'5

And remember this lineup is not including the other picks at 30 and 54 and the trades that may occur

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
frye is kinda not built tho rite....sweetney needs to get in shape to become a starter. wed definitely hang onto JYD or rose for some defense and sweets is the offense. im liking it....

portega1968

El Cacique
can we get a poll on the draft......i'd like the knicks to pick webster though it seems Isiah will go for that bust Frye

Draft Poll...

OK.

#1 K's should go for Danny Granger.

He's a terrific SF in the Scottie Pippen mold.

He's very intense, he comes into the league with a chip on his shoulder after playing in relative obscurity in New Mexico.

He can pass, shoot, drive.. they're saying his game basically has no weaknesses.

But mostly it's that intensity that I like, that chip on his shoulder that keeps a player hungry that we need. Thoughts?

portega1968

El Cacique
Petro? Haven't we already made the mistake of drafting a big french before? He, like Frye, will be just another benchwarmer at the best, not allstar material... Granger, Webster and Wright will be allstars...Fran Vazquez is the better NBA-ready big man after Bogut...If the pick HAS to be for a big man I'd rather grab Bynum and develop him a couple of years in the NBDL and just try to get Z, Curry or Kwame for the next couple of seasons...Peter Vecsey did report this week that Isiah is fixated on Pau Gasol so that gives me hope he's not going to make the mistake of using that eigth pick on whatever big man is available versus grabbing a future allstar