Official Draft Thread

dacash

Benchwarmer
why is everybody so hung up on a high school player that cant contribute right away. according to what ive read he is talented indeed but atleast 2 to 3 years away from contributing. yes it would be nice to have the next high school phenom but he appears to be really just growing in his basketball. should we really use a top pick on him on go after what may appear to be safer?

NYKnicks15

Starter
have read and have seen are two completely different things. I take it you didnt watch the McDonalds High School Classic?? Well im sure theyll replay it, tip of advice..watch it! Im no where close to saying hes the next LeBron or making any comparisons but this kid has it. 2 to 3 years? possible..but then again anything is possible...

and not to use a cliche term but NO ONE is safe. anyone can be a bust and to consider people hung up, is an over statement. Im just legitamately looking at where we are selection spot wise. And at that point in the draft i dont see much more worth picking that early...

well see what Isiah does though, he is very unpredicatable but then his draft choices have been a sure fit so far to his credit...except for that one 2nd rounder Jimmy King...Damon Stoudamire, Marcus Camby, Tracy McGrady Trevor Ariza....im just gonna voice my opinion but realize its Isiahs ball from here on, much like it was when he played..

NYKnicks15

Starter
Alright if you havent read this already and seeing I have no way to show you the McDonalds classic easily take a look. Just read. This is a analysis report of Gerald Green's weaknesses and positives. It was done by Rob Salvador of NBADRAFT.NET...

NBA Comparison: Tracy McGrady

Positives: Everything this kid does is silky smooth, even hard drives to the lane capped with the empathetic dunk seem easy... Has supreme athleticism, and gets many points off ally oop dunks as well as on drives to the hole... Has a very quick, effortless release on his jump shot. Combine that with great elevation and you have an almost unblockable shot... Most of the shots go in, in fact his jump shot from midrange to outside is one of his defining qualities... Loves to spot up for the open three, or stop and pop for the 15 footer... Overall just a sick scorer from outside ... Even At 6'8 he handles the ball like a guard, often starting (and finishing) the fast break... Loves to run the floor for the ally oop dunk, but also knows when to pass the ball... Most of those passes get right where they need to be ... However, those fast breaks don't just start themselves, Gerald is often the one creating the turnovers... His long arms and tremendous athleticism lead to lots of blocked shots and steals. Often creating the turnover, starting the break, and finishing with a monster dunk... Also rebounds exceptionally well for a guard/forward his size... The total package, an all around player who will do whatever it takes to win. There aren't many with his gifts at his size... With time and effort this kid will be something special.

Weaknesses: Effort seems suspect at times, can often be seen walking or resting on the court... Kind of has that I'll do what I want domineer when on the court, and sometimes appears to put style over substance... Also, he'll be spectacular one game, but then he'll forget to dominate...where is he? Needs to put up the monster performances that brought him where he is on a more consistent basis... Needs to bulk up, right now gets pushed around easily. Will have to improve his leg and upperbody strength to finish his drives... He has broad shoulders and a great frame, just needs to put in the work... Still dominating high schoolers, needs to bring his game to a point where he can do it at the next level as well

dacash

Benchwarmer
reading that profile really makes me pass him up,inconsistant,effort seems suspect,plays one game good the next he disappers. too small gets pushed around in high school.yeah i guess its all about potential and he seems to plenty going for him but a seasoned college player might be better in my eyes. just an opinion

NYKnicks15

Starter
Here is the final and official order of the NBA DRAFT 2005 taking place on June 28th.

TEAM RECORD LOTTERY CHANCES (out of 1,000)
Atlanta 13-69 250
New Orleans 18-64 178
Charlotte 18-64 177
Utah 26-56 119
Portland 27-55 88
Milwaukee 30-52 63
Toronto 33-49 36
New York 33-49 35
Golden State 34-48 14
LA Lakers 34-48 14
Orlando 36-46 8
LA Clippers 37-45 7
Cleveland (To CHA via PHO) 42-40 6
Minnesota 44-38 5

The order for the remainder of the first round picks is as follows:

15. New Jersey (42-40)
16. Philadelphia (To TOR via DEN and NJN) (43-39)
17. Indiana (44-38
18. Boston (45-37)
19. Memphis (45-37)
20. Washington (To DEN via ORL) (45-37)
21. Chicago (To PHO) (47-35)
22. Denver (49-33)
23. Sacramento (50-32)
24. Houston (51-31)
25. Seattle (52-30)
26. Detroit (54-28
27. Dallas (To Utah) (58-24)
28. San Antonio (59-23)
29. Miami (59-23)
30. Phoenix (To NY via SAS) (62-20)

2005 SECOND ROUND DRAFT CHOICE ORDER

31. Atlanta
32/33.* Charlotte (To LA Clippers)
32/33.* New Orleans
34. Utah
35. Portland
36. Milwaukee
37/38.* New York (To LA Lakers via Atlanta and Charlotte)
37/38.* Toronto Pick may be conveyed to Orlando
39/40.* LA Lakers
39/40.* Golden State
41. Orlando Pick may be conveyed to Golden State via New Jersey and LA Clippers or to Toronto.
42. LA Clippers (To Orlando or to Toronto via Orlando or to Golden State via New Jersey)
43. New Jersey
44. Cleveland (To Orlando)
45. Philadelphia Pick may be conveyed to Detroit.
46. Indiana
47. Minnesota
48. Memphis (To Seattle)
49. Washington
50. Boston
51. Chicago (To Utah via Houston)
52. Denver
53. Sacramento (To Boston)
54. Houston (To New York)
55. Seattle
56. Detroit
57. Dallas (To Phoenix via New Orleans)
58. Miami (To Toronto)
59. San Antonio (To Atlanta)
60. Phoenix (To Utah)

New Orleans (18-64) won a tie-breaker with Charlotte
Toronto (33-49) won a tie-breaker with New York
Golden State (34-48 won a tie-breaker with the Los Angeles Lakers
Boston (45-37) won a tie-breaker over Memphis and Washington; Memphis then won a tie-breaker with Washington
San Antonio (59-23) won a tie-breaker with Miami

Thanks to NBA.COM

NYKnicks15

Starter
there will be a few changes made most likely among this order due to trade ups and downs. Dont really look for the more established teams to trade up but to trade (if at any time) a player for a player.

Look for Charlotte to attempt to trade up with either Atlanta or New Orleans. Charlotte wants a "hometown" kid to play for their ball club next season in hopes to gather larger attendance. This means they made trade up for Marvin Williams...or use their second for someone of the likes of McCants or May who will still be there by then. (13th Pick)

The main question for us is if Isiah will keep all three picks. I dont see him trading up with our 8th overall selection nor does anyone else. the 30th though could be traded up along with the 2nd Round number 54 pick. Speculation still points to C Johan Petro from France who Isiah has been scouting for quite some time this season...even making a trip to Europe last week...

mrj18

Benchwarmer
NYKnicks15 said:
there will be a few changes made most likely among this order due to trade ups and downs. Dont really look for the more established teams to trade up but to trade (if at any time) a player for a player.

Look for Charlotte to attempt to trade up with either Atlanta or New Orleans. Charlotte wants a "hometown" kid to play for their ball club next season in hopes to gather larger attendance. This means they made trade up for Marvin Williams...or use their second for someone of the likes of McCants or May who will still be there by then. (13th Pick)

The main question for us is if Isiah will keep all three picks. I dont see him trading up with our 8th overall selection nor does anyone else. the 30th though could be traded up along with the 2nd Round number 54 pick. Speculation still points to C Johan Petro from France who Isiah has been scouting for quite some time this season...even making a trip to Europe last week...
So that means you don't want Petor with our 8th, right? Who do you want with our 8th overall?

NYKnicks15

Starter
seeing Isiah will go for Petro (a big man) I think he should go for Gerald Green (SF/SG) with the other...and I think he will (going for youth and athleticism and can run the floor with someone like Ariza). And I've seen most of all these kids play aswell as Green and contrary to what some people have READ. if you have SEEN this kid play you know is and will be something special.

Now even though Petro wont go until later in the first he wont be there with the 30th and I know Isiah knows this. So hell either trade his second rounder and 30th to trade up or trade someone in general for it.

So my picks our with the 8th F/G Gerald Green. and with our second first rounder C Johan Petro.

Some are saying get Taft or one of the foreign big men with our 8th spot...BUT i think a story will break in the offseason probably right before the draft where we will sign and trade for a legit Center. People think Kwame Brown is the only possiblity (and yes he is a good one) but actually look for Zydrunas Iglauskas to become a Knick with possibility a 5-4-3 person (somewhere in there) trade. Possibly Kurt Thomas and Mo Taylor being involved. OR if they want a person to help out and support LeBron they could possibly go for a straightup trade of Tim Thomas or Penny Hardaway...but thats why im saying no to a big man with the first pick after seeing how many names are now being entered and i dont think any big man is worth the 8th spot...

mrj18

Benchwarmer
I've seen Green play twice (Round Ball Classic and McDonald's game) and I must say I am indeed impressed with his game, but what will that do to Trevor Ariza, our rising swingman? At SG, Houston and Crawford will be eating up all the minutes. At SF, I want Ariza getting all of them. Also with the way Green dominated the All American game, there is a very good possibility he can go higher than the 8th pick. If so, who would you want to draft? I'll throw out a scenario real quick:
1. Bogut
2. Paul
3. M. Williams
4. D. Williams
5. Green
6. Andriuskevicius
7. Taft
8. Who would you draft?
Petro is a must for us and I think he can turn out well. I don't want him with our lottery pick, but perhaps packaging them as you said.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
green seems like the only player in this draft who has the potential to become a superstar in the league. you never know, he might even go first if some other team becommes enamored with him and thinks he's too much to pass up. if we pick 8th, i actually think getting green will be a catch 22. if hes really very good, other teams will see that and we will never even get a chance to draft him. if hes not, he might slip to us, but it might be a whole bunch of years before he accomplishes anything or becommes a decent player. i dont think teams are going to make the same mistake where they let KG, tmac, and kobe all slip away. of course, im hoping that he IS that good and for some reason he still slips to us.

portega1968

El Cacique
mrj18, under your scenario where green is gone by the time we pick, we must then choose the best available depending our needs...if its a defensive PG, we would probably pick Jarret over Felton....or if its a shotblocker, we would then have to choose between fran vazquez or tiago splitter.

mrj18

Benchwarmer
Why would we get a PG, we'd have 4. Crawford, Marbury and Felton would never be able to co-exist. Plus Crawford at SG = bad idea, and Marbury will have to be traded for this to work. So bottomline: NO PG!!!

I would get Taft, Vazquez, hell I'd even draft Petro with our 20th pick just no PG or else trade down!

Sweeets50

Rookie
Sun Ming Ming looks freakishly huge (7'9" 350lbs)...but it seems this guy is a bit raw and all about potential and may not bloom 'til a long way down the road. Still i'd pay big money to see Ming & Shaq go at it

portega1968

El Cacique
mrj18, wakeup my friend...we ARE stuck with Crawford at the 2 unless Allan Houston pulls a Grant Hill on us. Have you seen the defense from our point guards? That along with the lack of a good sevenfooter is the main culprit of this year's underachievement. You say we have 4 pgs... but how many PFs do we have? Bringing in Taft wouldnt be the wisest choice as he would just further the glut at the 4. Vazquez on the other hand would give us great shotblocking at center, he can finish on the break and fadesaway quite Hakeem-ishly, but at 6'10" would be another undersized center. I'd rather go with Tiago Splitter, who's younger than Vazquez. He's taller and has great upside. He has a very good post up game down low. Also Andrea Bragnani could quite well turn out to be the next Nowitzki. We must stay away from Martynas Andreskivicius.

NYKnicks15

Starter
WORKOUTS have begun and New York has already worked out 8 players...
Hakim Warrick..Aaron Miles..Julius Hodge..Joey Graham...Chris Thomas...Ricky Sheilds...Stephen Graham...Jamaal Levy

looks like Isiah already knows who his number one is and maybe thinking about his 30th or Second Rounder, looking by the names stated...also notice a pattern??? all play the 3 or 2 spot...running mate for Trevor Ariza? or replacement?

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
i have one comment ...if gerald green is available, and isiah doesnt draft him i think im going to hunt him down and stab him in the face

big mistkaes teasm make is drafting by position instead of by best player and highest potential/value