Draft 2003

rady

Administrator
Staff member
finnaly we managed to restore the database corectly with alot of support from a lot of people
in these about 2 weeks of break, important things had happened and we didn't had the chance to discuss them
here, in this topic we should talk about the 03 Draft news, rumors, conclusions
happy posting :p

rady

Administrator
Staff member
KNICKS HOPING 7-FOOT KAMAN DROPS TO NO. 9

June 25, 2003 -- Latrell Sprewell has lobbied Knicks management for a big post-up player to dump the ball inside and take heat off the perimeter. Antonio McDyess was supposed to be that guy last season. But no one can say for sure whether McDyess will ever be able to patrol the Knicks' post without his left kneecap exploding.

So that is why the Knicks were so desperate to arrange an 8 p.m. workout for Central Michigan 7-foot center Chris Kaman last night. That is why the Knicks are crossing their fingers this true back-to-the-basket center drops to the No. 9 spot in tomorrow night's NBA Draft. They already know 6-10 power forward Chris Bosh won't be there at nine.

Kaman has few workouts to the No. 6 Clippers, No. 5 Miami and No. 4 Toronto. Last night, Raptors new head coach Kevin O'Neill and their scouts flew in to Westchester and was permitted to watch the Kaman workout. Ironically, the Knicks and Raptors discussed swapping picks, with Sprewell heading to Canada. The Raptors reportedly were closing in on a deal with No. 12 Seattle but O'Neill said it was "looking at all possibilities."

O'Neill, the former Knick assistant and Marquette coach, said his past relationship with Sprewell was no factor.

"I've known him for a long time, he used to play pick-up games at our gym in Milwaukee but don't read anything into that," O'Neill said.

The chances of Kaman falling to the ninth spot were diminished when 7-5 center Pavel Podzokline pulled out. If Kaman isn't there and the big men include Kansas' Nick Collison, Georgetown's Mike Sweetney and 7-foot small-forward project Maciej Lampe, the Knicks may decide to trade down. Layden will interview Sweetney today.

Kaman averaged 22.4 points and 12.0 rebounds as a junior and Layden likes his preference for the low post.

"He had a great workout," Layden said. "He did as good as he could've."

"I got a lot stronger this past summer and that helped me a lot in the paint," said Kaman. "I was getting pushed around before. I still want to get stronger, especially playing in the post. Quickness doesn't always work."

There's been some classic Layden misdirections the past nine days, ever since he said after Kansas' Kirk Hinrich's workout that he would consider drafting a point guard. That led to speculation the Knicks wanted to move up in the draft to get a crack at undersized Texas point guard T.J. Ford, whose stock has been dropping.

That's mostly smokescreen. In truth, the Knicks would like to see both point guards snapped up in the top eight, which would allow Kaman to fall. If Ford fell to nine and Kaman was gone, the Knicks would consider the 5-10 jitterbug, with the option of trading him later. If the Knicks traded up to four, they'd likely snatch Bosh or Kaman.
http://media.nykfan.8k.com/news/0203/06/25.html

bdc

Rookie
if the knicks dont take collison there retarded they really are do not take KAMAN he looks like doleac my god you know collison is good keep it safe christ teh knicks will mess it up like retards i cant stand them now they want that polish guy?! theyre so stupid

allan20

Benchwarmer
collison could fall into our hands easily, or sweetney or pavel but i just can't imagine layden pulling up a good rookie. he'll screw everything again

KnickFan2080

Benchwarmer
ESPN Mock Draft

1. Cavaliers
LeBron James
The only question left, does he play for the Cavs or Nike?

2. Pistons
(via Grizzlies)
Darko Milicic
As much of a lock as LeBron to Cleveland.

3. Nuggets
Carmelo Anthony
He has a real locker, will he get some real teammates?

4. Raptors
Chris Bosh
Bosh is the guy, but who'll be making this pick?

5. Heat
Maciej Lampe
Riley breaks down, takes a foreign project.

6. Clippers
T.J. Ford
Clippers don't need another PG, but ...

7. Bulls
Dwyane Wade
Wade's versatility makes him the choice.

8. Bucks
(via Hawks)
Kirk Hinrich
With Lampe gone, Bucks take Payton's replacement.

9. Knicks
Chris Kaman
Knicks get their big man, will it make a difference?

10. Wizards
Jarvis Hayes
Wiz could use a scorer; still toughest lottery pick to predict.

11. Warriors
Reece Gaines
Warriors make first move to replace Arenas.

12. Sonics
Nick Collison
Sonics take polished big man and future leader.

13. Grizzlies
(via Rockets)
Mickael Pietrus
Did Jerry West find his next Kobe?

14. Sonics
(via Bucks)
Luke Ridnour
Sonics will nab a PG here -- if they still own pick.

15. Magic
Michael Sweetney
Magic want a point, but Sweetney too good to pass on.

16. Celtics
Marcus Banks
Is there a promise to appear here? We say so.

17. Suns
Zarko Cabarkapa
Can Zarko be Phoenix's Dirk Nowitzki?

18. Hornets
Brian Cook
Hornets don't go foreign, but could go West here.

19. Jazz
Aleksandar Pavlovic
Jazz get a long-range shooter by way of Serbia.

20. Celtics
(via 76ers)
Sofoklis Schortsanitis
''Baby Shaq" our pick among plenty of big choices for C's.

21. Hawks
(via Pacers)
Boris Diaw
This 6-9 "point" guard the yin to Jason Terry's yang.

22. Nets
Zoran Planinic
Seems to be biggest lock outside top three picks.

23. Trail Blazers
Travis Outlaw
"Jail Blazers" get their Outlaw.

24. Lakers
David West
A-10's POY the pick over ACC's POY.

25. Pistons
Carlos Delfino
The most underrated Euro in the draft.

26. T-Wolves
Troy Bell
Bell cracks first round; returns to home state.

27. Grizzlies
(via Kings)
Leandro Barbosa
Brazilian point guard has Gary Payton like upside.

28. Spurs
Zaur Pachulia
Spurs will draft big; have had eye on Europe this year.

29. Mavericks
Malick Badiane

rady

Administrator
Staff member
here's some nice rows from today's post
Layden has the ninth, 30th and 39th picks tonight. His priority is to either trade up, or turn Latrell Sprewell into a veteran with frontcourt size (Erick Dampier, Adonal Foyle, Jerome Williams or Stromile Swift) while gaining a solid draft prospect.

Layden said he's willing to move up or down, possibly to No. 4 in a swap of picks with Toronto, with a shot at power forward Chris Bosh, or back to No. 11 where the Warriors select. "We'll investigate it right up until we make the pick," said Layden, who had extensive talks with the Warriors at this season's trading deadline.
Read all article
in the end, i guess kaman will be the one
i really hope there's gonna be a trade with the raps, even if it includes spree, the important thing is not to miss another playoff
tonight's the big night

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Sweetney, Lampe and Vranes, the knicks' 3 picks
which of them do you think will have the biggets impact?
don't forget to check the Draft 03 Articles
some pics bellow from knicks.com
if you have anyother interesting, post them here

Attachments

• sweetney1.jpg
    sweetney1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 259
  • sweetney2.jpg
    sweetney2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 259
  • fans1.jpg
    fans1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 258

KnickFan2080

Benchwarmer
finaly an acceptable draft
not sure about sweetney who actually could help spoon and harrington, but layden did a decent job by taking lampe. he'll probably be our next Center and give us some stability on the court
what i wonder is that few days ago, nobody have heard about lampe, but last night everybody yelled his name :)

SpreeFan

Benchwarmer
couldn't be any happier
sweetney+lampe o gosh :). but it gaved me the goosebumps when layden picked sweetney instead of maciej, i thought he'll be gone be the second round
after all everything came out good for us and i'm hoping in a resurection over the summer

allan20

Benchwarmer
lampe still has an contract with real madrid and this could be an obstacle.
so lets wait a little longer with the appreciations

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
the draft that changed the nba..... BUMP dat.

Have you just been looking through old threads the past day lol?

But I find it hilarious that someone was happy at who we picked up in this historic draft. Mike Sweetney really had an impact for us!

petescud

Starter
amazing 3/4 of those guys on that list aren't even in the NBA anymore...sad. Imagine thinking you just won the lottery getting picked to play in the NBA, and a few short years, your packing groceries at a local market

Toons

is the Bo$$
Have you just been looking through old threads the past day lol?

But I find it hilarious that someone was happy at who we picked up in this historic draft. Mike Sweetney really had an impact for us!

yeah....takin a trip down memory lane