Checketts knocks Knicks

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Portions of the article

In radio interview on WFAN, Checketts questioned the Knicks' decision to acquire Stephon Marbury, said he doubts that Phil Jackson would ever want to come to New York to coach a losing team and said that the roster is filled with players who are just "playing for a check."

"I do not think he wants to coach again unless he can step into a ready-made situation and be very competitive," Checketts said. "And the Knicks' situation doesn't offer that. They'll throw a boat load of money (at Jackson). I don't think money is going to do it for Phil. I promise you he is all about his legacy now and why spoil it by coaching a team that might not make the playoffs?"

Checketts interviewed Jackson for the Knicks' job in 1999, but said yesterday that he felt all along that Jackson was using him to drive up his price with the Lakers.

The Knicks are 29-41 entering tonight's game against the Nets at the Garden. One more defeat will ensure their fourth straight losing season, something the franchise hasn't done since the late '80s.

Since Checketts left, the Knicks have yet to win a playoff game and are on their fourth coach.

"Herb has done a great job," Checketts said. "He's a terrific guy. And he's a Knick. I like that about him. He played for us. He knows what it means to put on the uniform. What disturbs me about the team as I see it now, you do all of this shifting, you bring in guys with big-time contracts, they're here playing for a check. It means nothing to them to put on a uniform. And that's what bothers me about it."

http://www.knicksonline.com/getart.php?id=2764

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
Dave Checketts said or revoiced what I've said forever. I think James Dolan is a bonafide idiot. In my humble opinion he should have just wore his owner's hat and left the decisions to the people that know basketball. Telling your employee to overpay Allan Houston and get rid of Spreewell and the fire said employee for your choice?? I have also said repeatedly I think Marbury is a problem, more than he'll ever be a solution. I feel like the voice of "one crying in the wilderness" no longer. Dave Checketts finally agrees with me when no one else here would.

gknick11

Benchwarmer
I absolutely hate Dolan and I agree with Checketts, except on the Marbury deal. While Our cap situation got really screwed over, it's the first time we've had a superstar point guard since Walt Frazier. I didn't want to see Lampe or the rights to Vujanic go, but Steve Nash all but guarentees that Vujanic won't come over for a while and Lampe hasn't proven himself. But the one thing I really hate about that deal is that we have no cap flexibility whatsoever. Thank god for the MLE, even though we won't get a good player with it.

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
I also hate Dolan. But what Checkett said about all the trades being bad he was wrong. The Marbury and Crawford trades weren't bad at all. Besides the fact that Isiah gave Jamal an outrageous contract.

gknick11

Benchwarmer
The one knock I have on the trades is that we have no cap flexibility whatsoever. I think I said this but in my opinion it's something I will never stop saying until we actually have some cap flexibility.

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
Seriously, it's not really Isiah's fault for the cap problem that we have and have had for a long time now. When Isiah took over this team he already had to deal with Houston and Andersons contract. Granted, Isiah has added to it but until were done paying off Anderson (which I hate because he did nothing here and is doing great in Miami) and Houston's contract we are still gonna be in the damn salary cap problem. :cry:

gknick11

Benchwarmer
But when Houston's contract expires, before both the Marbury and Crawford trades, we had only 4, maybe five contracts still on the books. Now, we have 8 or 9.

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
gknick11 said:
But when Houston's contract expires, before both the Marbury and Crawford trades, we had only 4, maybe five contracts still on the books. Now, we have 8 or 9.

That's what I am saying. Layden started the problem and Isiah as added on.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
lol, i wish we could rewind back 80 years, before the knicks were started, and just run this team a good way.. imagine what we could be like

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
Peach_NYK_21 said:
lol, i wish we could rewind back 80 years, before the knicks were started, and just run this team a good way.. imagine what we could be like

I don't think we would have to go back that far. Maybe like 7 Years ago or something like that.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
its a mess that the knicks are in. i sincerely believe the best way to get out of it would be to try to unload the entire roster this summer. get rid of marbury, package him with some unwanted contracts. get rid of crawford (an average shooting guard in this league, maybe not even), get rid of everyone. there are SOME guys id like to keep, but most likely, to get rid the bad contracts, those good players with good contracts like ariza and sweetney will have to be packaged together. lets just start fresh.

NYKnicks15

Starter
all reporters focus on the negatives that is why i perticularly dont read them. It's not that I cant accept it, I just see more to the story then the "lets complain about what should have happened" story...how about we talk about what should happen!! theres a saying i like that goes like this "What's happened has happened and we can only work on the future".

There is no reason to stress over what Layden did, or the mistakes Isiah has made up until now. Let's talk about like what A KNICK FAN just did, what we think needs to happen.

His opinion is unload and thats a reasonable answer but i think unloading to an extent can be bad for us. and honestly it wont happen. Our cap will always be bad. So what should we do this offseason???

My opinion is start by drafting three good players....simple and obvious but it all starts there, or its a huge step back to the very little progress we made.