Trade Marbury?

nyk35

Benchwarmer
i am getting sick of hearing things like " trading stephon marbury will make this franchise better"
I seriously don't think trading him is the anwser to any of our problems
people say he must be crap if he couldnt win with joe johnson ,shawn marion and amare....That team made the playoffs in 02-03 but they played the spurs in the first round who then went on to win the whole thing. In 03-04 amare only played 55 games for phoenix and steph only played for 34 and most of the time that steph was there amare was injured so it is unfair to say he can't win. We are a few moves away from having a great roster but at the moment we only have 2 pieces of the puzzle steph and jamal.And i know most of you guys think jamal doeasnt fit well with our team but he is very similar to another player , actually they are basically the same player. Iam talking about q-rich , the only reason he is not being criticised is because his team is winning. Well thats all i have to say. Tell me what you think about trading steph....................

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
nyk35 said:
at the moment we only have 2 pieces of the puzzle steph and jamal.

i think we actualy have 3... im not sure there's any one availiable like KT, who is a great rebounder, best defeneder on our team, and gives us that great pick and roll offense..i also think its unfair to say trade steph... do we seriously think we can win anything with him not here? definenltly have a better chance with him around...

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
Anyone one who's ever read my posts always sees a common thread...Lose Marbury. His spoiled prima donna attitude has what used to be one of the league proudest franchises into little more than a sportscentre joke. I'm tired of all the blame being heaped on KT(who again I feel was the teams best overall player) TT, H20, Crawford. Penny a goner. More than likely TT is as well. Marbury said he was the best PG in east. Yet J Kidd & Vinsanity are the guys that are poised to take a run at the Larry O'Brien trophy, while the Knicks consider what went wrong...again. Marbury is cancer. He's is consistent in regards to the fact he keeps missing the playoffs, statically he always gets "his", defensively he's improved at being a liability. After 9 years, something has to give and a guy should mature enough to to contribute positively. 33-49?? If this the best Marbury has to offer, can we afford not to trade him?

Trin_Starr

Starter
I beg to differ on that opinion. It seems that most of you all suffer from short term memory loss.
Let me take you back to last season when Marbury was surrounded with RELIABLE shooters aka Van Horn and H20 - the knicks were on a tear ripping through anybody that we played - oh yeah you remember now!
Yes marbury had a supporting cast and the knicks were winning. After the KVH for TT trade - that's when everything began to go downhill.
Marbury had made career setting statistics this season with his FG%, 3pt. FG%, FT% to go with his customary 20pts and 8asts season. His higher shooting percentages coupled with fewer shots taken for the season shows me that he has been trying to get his team involved in winning. But as I have said many times before, these guys get open shots - it is their job to knock them down.

Second point - at least Marbury earned his paycheck unlike some other knicks who get paid ten million plus to score what 6pts, 11pts and 12pts a game.
Since Marbury came to the knicks, attendance has been up in the Garden and more people are viewing on MSG.
The Garden was sold out 8 more times than last year. Let's see seats in the bleechers are around $50 and courtside goes for around $2000. So let's say an average seat goes for about $500. There are 20000 seats in MSG, so that would mean that Marbury's presence allowed over $10,000,000 in extra sales for every sold out game.

The dude had bum ankles and still managed to play in all 82 games, even when he was suffering from the cold. Doesn't that show character? - at least much more than Penny.

And as for Marbury not being clutch. You people need to make up your fickle minds. If Marbury takes over the game in crunch, people say he is a ballhog and selfish. If he passes it off to a team mate, they say he's afraid to take the last shot.
What do you want him to do???

So Marbury is a cancer because he takes winning very seriously and blasts players who mess up on the court? - well in that case I guess Michael Jordan was the biggest cancer of all! - why didn't the bulls trade that cancer then??

You know what this knicks season reminded me of?
T-mac and the magic last year. His team mates had no heart and he was forced to do it all by himself. Just like what Marbury had to do. The only difference is that T-mac requested to be traded because he got fed up. He gave up on his team. Stephon however, is a knick to the heart and is going to fight every night on the court for this team!

nyk35

Benchwarmer
Finally..... someone actually knows whats going with the knicks.I am with you all the way trinn_star.Also do you remember when Houston was healthy and KVH was around steph was averaging about 19 points and 10 assists
if i am not mistaken a healthy jason kidd at that time was averaging
15 points and 9 assists and they were a good team. If houston remained healthy and KVH remained in new york the knicks would have probably beaten nj in the first round and challenged detroit in the conference semis

dacash

Benchwarmer
one thing about him,unlike baron davis and vince carter,he didnt sit out with his injuries,and silently demanded a trade then all of a sudden was healthy after the trade happened. during the teams demise he went out and did his usual with no help.houston injured,nazr declining,t thomas not playing up to par,crawfords injury for a stretch,he went out and played every minute his coach told him to.his problem is as i see it he is not vocal as he should be. dont trade him.continue to build around him crawford and ariza trade everyone else for solid players.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
trade marbury. his contract will be up soon. what do you marbury lovers propose we do when he is 30 and wants a max. contract? it would be very stupid to give a 30 year old a max. contract, because by the time he's 33, he wont be worth even a third of the money he makes. marbury is no longer the future. compare him to iverson, who accomplished a lot more by his late 20's than marbury. AI carried his team on his back, took them to the finals, won MVP's and scoring titles. marbury did not, and can not. its not that hes a bad player. hes just not my guy. hes overrated by isiah. he cant lead this team to victory for the next 2 years anyway, so lets get rid of him and build around a younger player who can truly become a superstar. hopefuly we can get a lot of young talent and draft picks and get rid of bad contracts when we get rid of marbury.

of course, it all depends on what we get in return, but i am definetely in favor of getting rid of marbury.

AND, speaking of knicks players that should be traded, i'd be very open to trading jamal crawford as well. for a shooting guard, he's only an average player in this league at best. and he's not going to get much better. he's in his mid 20's, he should have accomplished a lot more and become a great player already, if he was ever to become one. kobe, tmac, kg, etc. all became great players by that age. crawford has not. he will not. trade him too.

the only problem is, most GM's probably arent'y very high on marbury and crawford like the way naive knick fans and isiah thomas are. i HOPE we could get a lot back in return for those two, but i dunno.

the knicks are such a fucking mess i dont even know where to start in terms of turning this team around. i still say just unload everbody and start fresh, if thats even possible.

Trin_Starr

Starter
AI is my man - but the dude is one serious ballhog. He has no faith in any of his teammates.
He is a one man show. Trust me if Marbury wanted to be a one man show he can as well. If he jacks up 35 shots a night like Iversion with his 46% FG, he'll be dropping 32pts a night - he'll get scoring titles - but that's not what it's about for him.
He can take the knicks on his back and do it all, but he won't because at the end of the day - it gets u nowhere! - u need a team to win a championship.

But maybe you might be right - he should say f#ck everybody else - let me play for me and see where that goes.

portega1968

El Cacique
Marbury is the man....but Barkley and so many were the man and ended up without rings. I really doubt stephon can provide the defense at PG needed to get the trophy. I doubt he can go beyond the pick and roll he does so well to involve the rest more in the flow (a la Nash). Dare I say, if we get Phil Jackson, which seems like a longshot right now, I would welcome trading Stephon for the first pick, get Andrew Bogut to center the triangle....use the other pick on a defensive PG (via trade or Deron Williams), start Crawford, Ariza and Mo Taylor, shipout the Thomases (including Isiah) and Penny. Finally, get ready for '07 free agent Lebron, record the dynasty in da books!!!

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
marbury, k thomas, mo taylor for olowokandi, griffin, ebi and sczerbiak

houston, sweetney, ariza for butler, b grant and 1st rd pick

let tim and penny's contracts run out. dont resign either scrub. get petro and green in the draft. have one bad year next year and hopefully get a good lottery pick. two years from now, the salary situation will be cleaned up and we can pick up a huge free agent (lebron) and have great young players to build around (petro, green, draft picks, and maybe sign a superstar once we get under the cap).

but we need to fire isiah first and get a gm who is willing to do that. isiah's ego is too big to go in rebuild mode at this point.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
actually we shuold get more in return for that trade with LA. maybe anohter draft pick. or we should be able to get rid of another bad contract (maybe JYD) for one of their rookie contracts.

nyk35

Benchwarmer
All you haters can at least wait until the season begins when we have made our offseason moves drafted a few players.

NYKnicks15

Starter
exactly. Isiah has had only one offseason to mess with the team and let him atleast have this one. Will Phil come here? no. so lets get that out of our heads. Will Marbury traded even tho Isiah said if the deal is right hed pull the trigger? no...Will anyone take Houston? no...are we going to do wholesale on our team in the offseason? no...lets look towards simple stuff...

Sundov, Jackson and Butler GONE
DRAFT Gerald Green & Johan Petro
TRADE Kurt Thomas & someone else (i think itll end in a 4-5 player trade) for Zydrunas Iglauskas
TRADE the disgruntled Hardaway and Tim even tho he shouldnt be will most likelyh be GONE aswell
SIGN some sorta backup PG unless we draft one (not using are 2nd rounder to trade up)

simple stuff like that is more probable

NYKnicks15

Starter
i have in good hopes that we will have BIGS next year. No matter if it comes in the draft via Johan Petro...OR the aforementioned trade with Zydrunas Iglauskas and with latest news possibly the signing of disgruntled Kwame Brown...so if we dont have BIGS by the beginning of next season or before the trade deadline...i will AGREE with getting rid of Isiah Thomas

portega1968

El Cacique
I take back what I said...don't trade KT. If we get Phil, I'd like to see Kurt in the triangle. Ship Marbury to Atlanta for that first pick and get Bogut. Pick Deron Williams at 7. Then try to ship the other first round pick plus Tim, Penny, Mo, cash, whatever it takes for Garnett, Lamar Odom or Stojakovich. I'd betcha a triangle with Deron Williams, Jamal Crawford, Lamar Odom (etc), Kurt Thomas and Bogut would be very effective, not to say enticing for the Zen Master. Finally, ship out Isiah for GM Patrick Ewing and trade the Dolans, Cablevision and The Wiz for Michael Jordan as owner. And I repeat, get ready for free agent Lebron in 2007.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Trading Marbury

I think everyone is forgetting one thing, with the type of money Marbury makes and is owed, except for LA, Philly and Dallas, there aren't may teams that can afford him and still have enough to pay for a supporting cast. The mistake was trading KVH!!! I have to be honest, I wasn't for KVH as a knick but when they had played together for a few games they started to become a team to reckon with! So as I see it, Isiah has 2 strikes against him; 1) Trading KVH for garbage 2) Trading for MR and MT and their ridiculous contracts. So this off-season we will see if he is competent or not by the draft picks and trades. I've heard rumours that he wants to go after Kwame Brown and Al Harrington. Kwame is a restricted free agent and I think if the Knicks offered him their mid-level and he was to take it, Washington would let him walk. I'm not a fan of Harrington, I would rather see him make a run at Darius Miles. Isiah has expressed interest in him and I think he is a decent defender, he can break down most players he goes against. The downside is that he isn't the best shot in the world, but since we already have a chuck-a-holic in Jamal, I'd rather see someone who can defend and likes to drive to the basket. I would also like to see if he could pry Lamar Odem from LA since he has publicly critisized Kobe's game and attitude, we might be able to put a package together to get him. If they are serious about getting a quality player, they will probably have to part with either Trevor or Sweetney in one of the trades.
But, if the Knicks aren't able to put anything decent together, instead of trading for the sake of trading, they should just sit on the players they have and let their contracts run out. They say that they can't do that in the NY market, but I disagree. I think we (the true fans) can deal with loosing if there is a light at the end of the tunnel....Labron!

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
Re: Trading Marbury

hometheaterguy said:
1) Trading KVH for garbage

I wouldnt consider Nazr Mohammed's year this year garbage, and im not the biggest TT fan as he is really inconsistent, but that trade wasnt bad at all... nazr was a beast this year, and Tim Thomas has really had flashes of brilliance, KVH wasnt exactly the best player ever, we cant say trading him is why we had a bad year.

portega1968

El Cacique
My opinion on trading Marbury is conditioned on Phil being hired, since I doubt Marbury would be able to handle the triangle. Isiah should choose Phil over Marbury if he has to. If Phil is not the coach, then Marbury must be kept, though he seriously must do something about his D (does anybody know stats of marbury's defensive assignments...I bet he gives up more than what he produces). This is a real cause for the Knick's poor performance in '05 (100+ pts allowed per game, ufff and Im not blaming it all on Stephon, but he's a big part). If Herb stays, help could be found in the draft in the form of a defensive PG off the bench to cover this serious shortcoming of our star player. This, with MT and MR off the bench for buckets and D, respectively, and some shotblocking from the draft, well be much better next year.

TrueBlue20

Benchwarmer
I like both Marbury and Crawford but as log as they both don't play defense, one of them needs to go. We can't affard a defensive liability in that position.