Zoran Planinic
Tim Thomas
Penny Hardaway
Michael Sweetney
Trevor Ariza
Cliff Robinson
Nets 2005 1st Round Pick
Knicks' 2005 1st Round Pick
2006 Clippers 1st Round Pick via New Jersey (unprotected)

New Jersey trades:
Vince Carter
Cliff Robinson
Zoran Planinic
Jason Collins
2005 1st Round Pick
2006 Clippers 1st Round Pick (unprotected)

New Jersey gets:
Kevin Garnett
Troy Hudson

New York trades:
Tim Thomas
Penny Hardaway
Trevor Ariza
Michael Sweetney
2005 1st Round Pick

New York gets:
Vince Carter
Wally Szcerbiack
Jason Collins
Michael Olowakandi

I know this trade seems very overwhelming due to the size of it, but I think it's something that we could see going down. I'd appreciate any changes you guys may have in mind, and your criticism will be happily accepted.

WHY FOR MINNESOTA?
Basically, the Twolves go into FULL rebuild mode with this deal. They get 3 first round picks, with one being in the lottery this year and one being in the mid-high teens, plus a potential top 5 pick next year. Also, they get 3 young kids who could still turn into something special but there are no guarantess. On top of all those assets they pick up, they also get 3 guys who will provide IMMEDIATE cap relief after this season. But I think the biggest thing the Twolves get out of this trade is being able to get out of Wally's and Hudson's contracts. Yes it comes at the expense of arguably the best player in the league, but 3 picks, 3 young players, and cap relief to start rebuilding is something that would be very tough to pass on, especially considering some of the other debacles some people call "fair trades" for KG we've seen on this board.

WHY FOR NEW JERSEY?
They get KG, JKidd is happy, and at least they keep RJ. There's no denying that Jason Kidd is a top 3 point guard in this league, and his value to the Nets franchise is immeasurable. A Kidd, KG, RJ trio would cause more havoc in the East than a Kidd, VC, RJ trio ever could have.

WHY FOR NEW YORK?
Vince finally does end up in the Garden. Isiah finally gets a guy he's been itching to get his hands on since the offseason. The selling point? It didn't cost Zeke his hand picked floor general in Stephon Marbury, or his prized offseason acquisition in Jamal Crawford. Also, if the rumours are true of Thomas' interest in Wally, he also gets him as well. They have Olowakandi for one season, and then he comes off the books. They also pick up a solid big man for the middle in Collins who is locked up to a reasonable deal compared to some of the other big man contracts out there. Hey, at least the Knicks can now play a true C in the middle, instead of rotating their numerous power forwards to play the 5.

Sorry for the long read, but I've put alot of thought and time into this, and I hope it stirs up some good conversation!

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
too complicated. i got bored/lost after reading the first two lines. i dont think a trade that complicated would ever happen

NYKnicks15

Starter
its not that its too difficult, i actually followed it AND it works out salary wise. BUT even though theres a logic explanation at the end IT MAKES NO SENSE FOR US!

WallyWorld would be a plus IF his contract wasnt so gross. Now I know Im not a fan of the unload and begin process BUT this contract would just not be worth it in the end. Hes injury prone and has no toughness.

Olowkandi??? A true Center. More like a true scrub. Expiring contract yes but wouldnt matter. and Jason Collins? the same ordeal pretty much.

Vince Carter is the ONLY plus. Would be great to have him in the garden and playing for us. Too bad he wouldnt be able to use number 15.

So were going to trade away Tim and Penny which is okay. Even though Id like to keep Tim and resign him for cheap. AND our first round draft pick, Trevor Ariza and Mike Sweetney (ALL important pieces in our future)...I hate this trade. For what Vince Carter, Wally and 2 half ass centers. In terms of what Isiah liked (carter/wally) this would work...it also would work salary wise BUT logically i just dont see it..

NIX89

Rookie
nice effort...on the post but what i think is that Vince is insane when he wants to be insane, and Olawakandi......Just hopeless such a high pick was such a bust for the clips. We give away all the hard work of putting this team together of young players and we give our future away. Ariza and Sweets is too much because they are both cheap and decent young guys. Our draft pick we need because we really need some big guys and rebuilding and Olawakandi isnt gonna cut it. I know we can get rid of Penny's huge contract but we should get something else in return for someone like a single one on one trade. i personally like Tim thomas.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Trade

I actually would like this trade if we kept Ariza and got one of those 1st round picks. I f we are going to relieve that much salary cap space, not to mention the Wally years we'd be taking on for the Wolves, than I think we should keep our draft pick and get one of NJ's in return. We stink now and probably for the next year or 2 so why not!! I would trade sweetney for carter anyway (esentially in this responce that's what we would be doing since all the other guys I would trade for a six pack of beer). I wouldn't resign TT unless I could get him real cheap. Besides, in reality I would be going the Labron route anyway. We need to get contracts that are up by the end of next season so we could sign him out right. Right now, we are looking at around 30 million that will be freed up when Labron is a free agent. Any realistic moves I would make, not this one that we are bouncing around as a goof, would be geared to free up salary for that time period. With the possibility of adding some size at the 4 and/or 5 spot.

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
hmmmm seems good but i doubt newjersey or minesota would go for it considering that their not as far awar from acheiving a championship compared to us. Trades like this are desperation moves, and those arent done by teams who arent in the bottom 10 in the league

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
oh yeah, nyknicks 15, hows the payroll looking now for 06-07? remmeber when you were so optimistic about being able to land superstar free agents because we'd be "under the cap" by then? and then isiah accopmlished a few more bone-headed moves (acquiring mo taylor and rose). hes not done yet. hes gonna make a few more big mistakes and really ruin this team before he finally gets fired.

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
no real reason to do this - we lose big men and big small forwards, as well as the fact that theyre young. we pick up two guards....wally is crap basically....no D no boards, limited offense. vince is good. kandi is garbage and i dunno if collins is that much better than kurt at center.