Channing Frye

Cakalusa

Benchwarmer
What do you guys think? Think he's a keeper? Did Isiah do the right move?

channing-frye-hd.jpg

Channing Frye
Birthdate: 5/17/83
NBA Position: Center
College: Arizona
Class: Senior
Ht: 7-0
Wt: 248
Hometown: Phoenix, AZ
High School: St. Mary's
Team Site Profile

NBA Comparison: Jarron Collins

Strengths: Very skilled bigman...Fundamentally sound in nearly every area...Runs the floor well on the break...Great base mechanics on his jumper...Keeps the ball high in the post...Good footwork on the block...Soft hands...Can make his post move with either hand...Steadily improving jump-hook and drop-step...Surprisingly effective spot-up shooter, which makes him a dangerous scoring threat on the pick-and-roll...Outstanding free-throw shooter (about 83%)...Crashes the offensive boards hard...Solid help defender and shot blocker...Enormous wingspan...Boxes out well...Excels at the tip-in and follow-up dunk...Terrific passer out of the post...Solid ball-handler..Defends both the center and power forward position effectively...Always improving his overall game...Even though his scoring average is slightly down, he’s a much better overall player now than he was as a junior...Has impressed many scouts with his stand out senior season.

Weaknesses: Still suffers in lapses in concentration/intensity/consistency...Vanishes for large chunks of time (especially on the glass)...Could use another 20-25 pounds of muscle...Has made nice strides in this area, but still lacking a true killer instinct...Has a tendency to commit stupid fouls/turnovers at the worst times...A “tweener”...Lacks lateral footspeed to keep up with most NBA power forwards...Lacks necessary bulk to bang with NBA centers night in and night out...Not a great leaper...Even with his improvements in these areas, strength and stamina still must improve to compete at the professional level...Can let his emotions get the best of him...Lack of lower body strength occasionally leads to him getting muscled off his spot.

portega1968

El Cacique
I don't want to doubt Isiah's eye for talent, but this pick will prove he's not perfect, it will be his biggest mistake and ticket out the door. I'm starting to wonder if he has a grudge against New York. Andrew Bynum, Danny Granger, Gerald Green, Antoine Wright, Ike Diogu, even Fran Vazquez!!! will all be better players. I'm really hoping he trades away this poor-man, no, homeless Marcus Camby.

portega1968

El Cacique
Maciej Lampe, Slavko Vranes, Michael Wright, Eric Chenowith, Donnell Harvey, LaVor Postell, Frederic Weiss, J.R.Koch, DeMarco Johnson, Sean Marks, John Thomas, John Wallace, Walter McCarty, Dontae Jones, Monty Williams...and now Channing Frye...those are 16 of our past 20 draft picks (Ariza, Sweetney, Milos Vujanic and Nene Hilario being the other 4). No wonder we're over the cap and screwed.

portega1968

El Cacique
Phoenix just picked Nate Robinson and sent him to to he knicks as part of the Q-KT deal...WOW!!! I guess the insurance issue was just a smoke screen. This is a great pick!!! Isiah was probably hoping Bynum fell down here, but now we have a defensive PG.

Skyhi300

Benchwarmer
portega1968 said:
Phoenix just picked Nate Robinson and sent him to to he knicks as part of the Q-KT deal...WOW!!! I guess the insurance issue was just a smoke screen. This is a great pick!!! Isiah was probably hoping Bynum fell down here, but now we have a defensive PG.

wat draft pick was he, i kinda turned the tv off after the frye pick

KNICKSCALI

Benchwarmer
good pick with frye, he'll be a decent center. horrible pick with the kid from flordia, isiah wasn't thinking witht that one, david lee is not a first round pick, alot more upside with chris taft. no wonder the fans booed.

portega1968 said:
Maciej Lampe, Slavko Vranes, Michael Wright, Eric Chenowith, Donnell Harvey, LaVor Postell, Frederic Weiss, J.R.Koch, DeMarco Johnson, Sean Marks, John Thomas, John Wallace, Walter McCarty, Dontae Jones, Monty Williams...and now Channing Frye...those are 16 of our past 20 draft picks (Ariza, Sweetney, Milos Vujanic and Nene Hilario being the other 4). No wonder we're over the cap and screwed.
two things , one none of those drafts picks are on the team besides sweets and ariza they have been all picked by other gms isiah only pick ariza at so low and look how well he turned out two what does draft picks have t0o do with cap cause they have small contracts and also the knicks didnt sign a rc to an exstention since mayb ewing so its not the draft but we could have gotten gr8 players like redd artest parker

portega1968

El Cacique
I'm not blaming Isiah for picks made by other GMs. But time will prove Isiah messed this one up just like they did. We the fans always celebrate prematurely and later drool over the headlines in two years when they kick them out of town. Bad picking by all of our GM's during the past decade have led us to depend more on trades and free-agent signings than teams who have picked smartly; consequently, our payroll is tops for what? Our return on investment through drafting must be among the worse. Each of those 16 picks (out of 20 picks during the past decade excluding this year and Ariza, Sweets, Milos and Nene) proved to be not good enough, altough Wallace and Postell were probably just ok. Is it just a coincidence they were mostly "skilled bigmen". This Frye kid looks better suited as a can opener. I will call him Bucky. Seems the Dolans pressed for seniors. David Lee is another undersized PF. Andray Blatche, Brandon Bass, Ronny Turiaf, Chris Taft, Ryan Gomes, etc. were all available, not to mention the bucnh of good guards like Stoudamire, Ewing, Diener, etc. Not much left at the 54th spot, so Dijon Thompson is a good pick for SG though he seriously lacks D. Nate Robinson (from Phoenix at pick 21 as part of Q-KT deal) is just 5'9", but has serious hops. Can dunk (42-inch vertical, 40-yard dah in 4.4) and is like an Earl Boykins on steroids. I assure you we will come to love this guy for his hustle.

portega1968

El Cacique
Antoine Wright will be a superstar by the time the Nets move to Brooklyn. By then, Channing Frye will be looking for the MLE on another team.

portega1968

El Cacique
Just read Dijon Thompson went to Phoenix as part of the Q-KT Deal last night. I believe he will shine out there with Nash. Too bad they didn't send Frye also. Yes, I feel dejected today, but I'll get over it. Can we get a nickname for Nate?

Trin_Starr

Starter
I think that Frye was a good addition. He might not be spectacular but he gives the knicks what we have been lacking most. Besides you forget who the knicks have training the big men (Mark Aguirre is awesome!)
He will make frye peak at his potential.

Nate Robinson was also a nice pickup. The dude won't be playing much minutes with Crawford and Marbury sharing point, but he will definitely bring excitement to the garden. The dude is only 5-8 and has a 43" vertical leap and is super fast!

Even though Taft may have looked like the better pickup at 30, he obviously has work ethic issues and u definitely don't want no lazy bum on ur bench.
David Lee kills the offensive glass which is good considering the exponential number of shots the knicks are gonna throw up with a Q/Steph/Jamal backcourt....He rebounds and passes and plays with lots of energy. Shooting is not so good, but we don't need that from him.

Isiah said he's gonna sign a 7 footer this off season, most likely Kwame Brown, so I can foresee frye sliding over to PF and having two of them on the court simultaneously.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
isiah did a great choice wit frye....frye is a shot blocking machine..the only problem wit him is that he is not explosive.....the David Lee pick up was awful....David lee is a player that was being exposed two years ago by the Manhattan school forwards who were like 6"4....when i saw that we had the chance chris taft....i was like wow but when i heard David Lee i was like wat duh

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
wait he's 7 foot? i read somewhere that hes 6-10.. if hes taller i definently think he can help us out,with solid rebounding and good interior scoring.. if hes 2 inches shorter i still think he can be productive.. its just more fun having a 7 footer

WiL8000

Rotation player
I heard that he's 6'11 and very athletic. Frye also was the second leading blocker in his school's history.

KNICKSCALI

Benchwarmer
he'll be decent. not a superstar, but he'll get the job done. and right now we need that. he was a good step foward in the draft. it would be nice to have the time to have the time to draft young players and watch them develop in 4 years but with the way things are going, we needs guys that can help out right away.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
i heard someone before say that hes like Marcus Camby... if he is, next season is going to be great, and i cant wait to see this guy play.. its good news to know hes a great shot blocker

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
it was me who compared him to camby. im not saying he will turn into camby, but thats just who he seems to have the same body type as. camby is constantly injured, thats why the knicks traded him.

frye will never be an all star. at best, he will be a serviceable center, in my opinion.

i wish isiah would have made a different pick, maybe even taking gerald green. there were also a whole bunch of 6-6 to 6-9 2/3 kind of players left (wright, granger, etc.) that would have done well with the team. yeah we already have ariza but who cares, they would have been good players.

i think isiah was afraid to go out on a limb and make a bold move because he probably knows hes walking on thin ice with the NY media. people couldnt really fault him for taking frye, even if they know it wasnt the greatest pick. if he took someone with more risk (and possibly more reward), he would hear it from everyone.

david lee was just a terrrrrrible pick. i dunno what the hell he was thinking with that one.

nate robinson - i like that one. hes going to be a sparkplug. boykins is a good contributor. if nate can be better than earl, that will be great.

i HOPE isiah shows hes a good talent evaluator and knows something everyone else doesnt, because i am really mad that he picked two big men (lee and frye) seemingly just for the sake of picking big men. HOW MANY PF's do we already have???? JEEZ.

if green turns into a superstar it will make me furious to know that we could have had him (and 17 other GMs who didnt take him).