Hollinger: In Free-Agent Feeding Frenzy, Knicks Are ...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
bobs3304 said:
Oakley was an amazing rebounder even in his first year at Chicago. JYD, with 30 minutes a game, will only get you 8-9 boards tops. Oak could get you anywhere from 10-15.

And Oak was a man's man. He wouldn't s**t from anyone, and could step it up when the team needed him most. He would do anything and everything to win. JYD is selfless and plays hard, but he is no Oak, plain and simple.

The sad thing is that even if we trade Marbury, we still should and probably need to trade Sweetney, despite the fact that it is really Taylor or JYD that should be the next in line...

I agree that Oak was one of a kind but he averaged about 10 a night and that was a full game. He had years where he averaged 13 or 14 a game but he generally was around 10. If Mason was on the floor at the same time, he averaged, at times, a little less and Mason was up there around 8 a game. I know that JYD can match that rebounding, and maybe more since the NBA is weak compared to when Oak was playing, especially earlier in his career.
But I didn't want to get on an Oakley debate I just reacted to a little dejavu when I read that depiction of JYDs game. But, non-the -less, JYD is very much like the Oakleys and Masons, they have a very specific type of game and usually offense is way on the back burner and is somewhat developed over time.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
JYD does little things, but if the opportunity presents itself, I'm trading him. Oak played BIG when it counted. JYD simply can't. That's not exactly his fault, but it's reality.

I'm not sure if you've ever watched JYD play, or if you even saw that Knickslife presentation on him, but he has the personality of a 14 y/o from brooklyn. He's tough, but I've never seen him act serious or mature. The guy is like 32, and acts like a 21 y/o. I love his aggressiveness and work ethic, but he's not Robert Horry. He's not unclassy, but he's not the type of player I'd count in the big moments. The most JYD will ever be for us is a solid PF off the bench. That would be fine, except for the fact that his salary is awful for his production. Atleast Rose has championship experience and plays big when it counts (against Shaq for example). Plus JYD gives us ZERO offense. Atleast David Lee can get you some points along with everything else JYD gets you...

Nothing against Jerome, I just don't have a problem dealing him if the opportunity presents itself. I'd much rather keep Sweetney. But I realize it's not always possible to keep everyone you want. You have to make concessions.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
Theatreguy:

Youre being pretty flippant about Oak having averaged 14 rebounds a game in multiple seasons. Chill out with that shit...not cool.

Since when does JYD figure into our longterm plans. It's not like we lean on him when the going gets tough like we did with Oak. He's def. expendable, especially with that horrid contract of his...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
bobs3304 said:
Theatreguy:

Youre being pretty flippant about Oak having averaged 14 rebounds a game in multiple seasons. Chill out with that s**t...not cool.

Since when does JYD figure into our longterm plans. It's not like we lean on him when the going gets tough like we did with Oak. He's def. expendable, especially with that horrid contract of his...

I'm not sure that I was being flippant. I know Oaks game very well, he was one of my fav knick players. Even Oak got pushed around and overwhelmed... Remember when he used to bang with Otis Thorpe of Houston or Lambeer? So, I am not sure why you think I was being un-cool? Just stating a fact and in a very non-intimidating manor.. According to NBA.com his career average is; PPG-9.7 RPG 9.5 MPG 31.4. Now, I preach stats are misleading and they are, he played much bigger than his stats show, but he was what he was. My point is JYD can duplicate these numbers. Will he impact the overall game like OAK?? No, but he can be an intangable. And yes, he is over paid but I will strongly disagree with you on Rose. Rose is 6'7" and is the prime definition of overpaid. It's a joke that he is on this team and the champioship team he played on... do you know what his career average is? In 17 minutes he averages 3 RPG and 7 PPG! He never played at any key times with SA, he was a career bench warmer. He does play bigger than 6'7" but he is not worth 99% of his salary!

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
Ya, but as far as the team goes, Rose is the type of guy you can lean on. JYD is just another role player. Don't get me wrong, Rose is a role player, too, but he's our most experienced and battle-tested player. JYD hasn't gone anywhere in his career. Rose has, what, 2 Championship rings.

And besides, my point was that Rose is basically untradeable anyway. JYD, however, is not.

bobs3304 said:
Ya, but as far as the team goes, Rose is the type of guy you can lean on. JYD is just another role player. Don't get me wrong, Rose is a role player, too, but he's our most experienced and battle-tested player. JYD hasn't gone anywhere in his career. Rose has, what, 2 Championship rings.

And besides, my point was that Rose is basically untradeable anyway. JYD, however, is not.

Rose has shown with the Spurs that he is a great presence in the locker room. He is a good vocal leader. I don't see him playing that many minutes, but perhaps Isiah brought him in to be a leader on this team that needs some leadership.