Serious Rumor - MARBURY TO THE HAWKS

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...y_validity_to_this_marbury/hawks_trade_rumor/

Apparently, besides the Dalembert deal, which I'd personally love but I don't see Philly jumping on, NY and ATL are in serious discussions for a Marbury/Harrington swap. The whole deal would involve the Hawks also giving us Collier, Delk, and most likely a future 1st Rounder or two.

I know Isiah really likes Harrington from his coaching days in Indy. But I'm impartial to this deal. Harrington is young, and he's a solid player, but he's no All-Star, and doesn't fill an immediate need.

I guess if Atlanta is giving us an unprotected 1st I'd jump on it, but it depends if it's protected or not...

Another way to look at it is that it would give us some serious leverage in getting the team salary down to or below the cap. With Timmy and Penny sliding off (assuming we keep them after this type of move), and then Taylor and Houston in 06, we would set ourselves up very nicely to be able to bring Lebron to NY...

But right now, assuming this is a serious rumor, which it seems like now, I'm 50/50 on it. We'll probably find out more in the next day or two...

Ted

Benchwarmer
Yesterday Chad Ford had a "serious rumor" that Marbury and A.I. were going to be fighting over the ball in Philly, but I think this one is slightly more likely. If they are also looking at Harrington for Curry I don't know what they'll do. They can really do whatever they feel like because their team has absolutely no direction. Personally I think that if they're looking at a young center who can score or a PG in his prime who can score they'll go for the young center. Their two franchise players are about 19 years old, Marbury shouldn't help them too much. However, you have to question the basketball sense in a front office that has stockpiled as many wings as it can get its hands on. So if they think Marbury puts butts in the seats maybe they'll do it.

I doubt that Atlanta wants Marbury bad enough to risk losing a #1 overall pick for him, if there's a pick I bet it'll be in 5 years or it'll be protected. They're still a really bad team with even with Marbury.

I'd love to see us get Boris Diaw in the deal. He's a legitimate lock down defender and has some PG skills (not that I think he can play there but those skills will help on the wing).

As for Harrington: He has one year at $7 mill left. He's valuable in a trade. And contrary to popular belief on this website he's been a better player than Q or Crawford. Of course, the hope is that Crawford develops and Q stops launching 3s in the new system. Unfortunetely Crawford launched almost as many and the Knicks basically had no system last year. If this trade were to go through I sincerely hope that Zeke isn't going to start Crawford at the point. There's a chance is could work but it's a pretty big risk.

Marbury is the only valuable piece the Knicks have in a trade, so there's a good chance that Zeke isn't going to trade him just test out what he can get. If he does trade Marbury you have to question everything Zeke's done up to this point. The team is completely built around him and if you trade him without getting a point from somewhere you take a huge step back. Anyway I don't want to get too worked up over rumors. Marbury can't be traded to the Spurs, Sixers, and Hawks.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
Well, we all know that Spurs thing was pure B.S., and was never even a legit rumor.

I would LOVE to have that Philly deal go through, but forget what Chad Terd says...why would Philly do that in the first place? I just can't fathom them giving up on a young, talented Center for an older, shoot-first PG in Marbury.

The Hawks deal, however, makes sense for Atlanta. They get a home-town star, still have 20 Million left to spend, and get rid of the glut at SF/PF. As for us, well, Harrington would be a nice addition (esp. since Isiah likes him), and could also be a valuable trading piece later on if he doesn't pan out in NY. If we get a future 1st (unprotected or top 5 protected) then I think you have to take it.
There won't be that many suitors for Marbury, and this may be our last chance to deal him before the going gets tough...

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
Cheesyplayer said:
Marbury is better than any player Hawks have and even with combination of players it is still a bad deal. :evil:

yup, this is basically it... if we give up Marbury we have to get something better than Al Harrington in return.. something a lot better

ny3nyk

Rotation player
wanna see a good deal, heres a good trade:

we give:
stephon marbury

we get:
marcus camby
latrell sprewell
charlie ward
and all the other '99 knicks that are still in the league

how do u like that trade

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
i actually wouldnt mind a 3 way deal that gives us camby, and spree, but throw in a young up and comer it would be good.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
You guys don't exactly understand the nature of trades. So lemme break it down for you:

This would save us more than 70 Million dollars over the next 4 years. Marbury is almost over the hill. Harrington is just coming into his own.

Besides cap space and fillers, we'd also get a draft pick or two.

It would clearly allow Crawford and Nate to get the minutes they deserve.

There's more to consider than just a dropoff in talent. While I'd much prefer that Dalembert scenario, Philly's not dumb enough to give up a talented big man for Steph, esp. when they don't need him...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Peach_NYK_21 said:
Cheesyplayer said:
Marbury is better than any player Hawks have and even with combination of players it is still a bad deal. :evil:

yup, this is basically it... if we give up Marbury we have to get something better than Al Harrington in return.. something a lot better

Are you ready for this? I like the deal except for 1 person... Delk. If Isiah pulls this trade off with out getting Diaw in the mix, than he is foolish. I have no problem with Collier, he is a serviceable big man, but Atlanta’s whole team is 6’8” - 6’9” players and they drafted more of the same. Diaw would be a nice addition and they wouldn't miss him. If it is juat the 3 that were mentioned, I wouldn’t do it. I’ll take the trade if they throw in Diaw as well.

Ted

Benchwarmer
Bob: Crawford didn't get enough minutes last year? And what indication did he give you that he can play the point.

Ted

Benchwarmer
hometheaterguy said:
Peach_NYK_21 said:
Cheesyplayer said:

Are you ready for this? I like the deal except for 1 person... Delk. If Isiah pulls this trade off with out getting Diaw in the mix, than he is foolish. I have no problem with Collier, he is a serviceable big man, but Atlanta’s whole team is 6’8” - 6’9” players and they drafted more of the same. Diaw would be a nice addition and they wouldn't miss him. If it is juat the 3 that were mentioned, I wouldn’t do it. I’ll take the trade if they throw in Diaw as well.

I like your thinking. Diaw should develop into a solid piece.

Ted

Benchwarmer
When did you hear that? I heard he was coming in as a third guard behind Marbury and Houston. And a lot of brighter minds then us think he's going to be Steph and Q's backup this year.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
If you read anything about Crawford.....ever.....you'd realized Isiah, if he does in fact trade Marbury, would partly do so to give Marbury (and Nate to a certain extent) to get playing time at PG.

with all these picks, looks like a youth movement to me. But I'll stay on board if Marbury stays behind. Only thing is, with him only having a few years left, we better see a monumental addition in the form of a big man. We're not getting to the playoffs with Marbury and Kwame or Marbury and Jerome James people...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
bobs3304 said:
If you read anything about Crawford.....ever.....you'd realized Isiah, if he does in fact trade Marbury, would partly do so to give Marbury (and Nate to a certain extent) to get playing time at PG.

with all these picks, looks like a youth movement to me. But I'll stay on board if Marbury stays behind. Only thing is, with him only having a few years left, we better see a monumental addition in the form of a big man. We're not getting to the playoffs with Marbury and Kwame or Marbury and Jerome James people...

I don't think Isiah has an agenda for trading Marbury to free up playing time for other potential pgs. I think his reasoning would be to get quality and future prospects. His tone has changed drastically in a year about Marburys amnisty. I think, ideally he would like to keep SM and add the front court using everything else, M/L/E and other players in trades, but in the end I think he realizes that the only blue chip he has is SM.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
I'm torn. At first I thought we could get along fine while keeping Steph and adding some good frontcourt help.

But when you look at the other factors - age, health, contract size, the future ---- it doesn't look as peachy.

I just hope Isiah really looks at all the options...

portega1968

El Cacique
I insist the real trade brewing here is a 3way with ny getting curry, atlanta getting marbs and chicago getting harrington....will not stop isiah from getting jerome james...btw, never read anyone being called a maroon before...

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
fuck that....atlanta would MUCH rather just trade Harrington straight up for Curry.

And Curry won't solve our problems. Size, he has. But defense, he does not.

Maroon = bugs bunny style nuccca.

hey im new here but stephon marbury is staying ok... like it or not

hes a GREAT player idk why anyone wants him to go..... hes the only reason the knicks won any games

alonreppinNY23

Benchwarmer
o hell no is that trade gonna happen...marbury better spend the rest of his career in NY or esle the knicks r done.... he was the olnyy reason we had won games last year