We're not a championship team this year

thwax

Benchwarmer
Hey now... let's be real, we've not going to be celebrating beating the Spurs in June 2006. Before i get killed for this thread... we are definitely moving in the right direction as a team, but just look at last years forum threads, optimism was sky high and yet on the ground we had a year to forget.

Just thing about it: $99 million payroll plus Frye ($1.7mill), Nate ($885K), Lee ($700), J.James ($5mill)... 17 players on the payroll (including H2O and Anderson) so that's already our max team unless we waive J.Butler who is signed for year... no one else to waive... that takes us to over $107 million

Let's take a look:
PG: Steph, Nate
SG: Q, Crawford, Penny, H2O (probably released)
SF: TT, Ariza, Lee (summergames playing him at the 3), Anderson (waived)
PF: Mo, Sweetney, Rose, JYD,
C: James, Frye, Butler

So we trade Sweets and JYD or another for Walker... still not a championship team... maybe 2nd round. We could win the Atlantic division (like we all said last year), but this time with a better team... this is what rebuilding is like people... the danger for Isaih is to trade TT and Penny to teams cutting payroll for another 2 over the hill past their prime stars... then continue to bloat our payroll for the next 5 years... as it is 2006 looks like a payroll of $100 million and depending on any sign and trades for walker and trading penny and tt... 2007 which is looking at about $50 mill with our new acquisitions, could be back at 60-70 million... that's now free agents for the next 3 years!

Let's settle in for the ride, it'll have some great times too... Nate, Q, Ariza and a few others... hopefully Crawford can blossom into the player he promises to be... hopefully Isaih's plan (which has changed big time since he has started) factors all this in and more :)

Man, I am looking forward to November rolling around! ;)
Go Knicks!

ny3nyk

Rotation player
i think we will be definitly above 500, but by 2007, i think we would be a much better team and go deep in the playoffs because TTs contract is over and pennys contract is over and we would get rid of alot of bad contracts so that makes us more flexible in the free agent market.

alonreppinNY23

Benchwarmer
cmon...lets not be negative next year...cant say that kinda stuff... knicks are prolly gonna do way better then u guys are exzpecting...even thow we might not be a championship team....i still believe we can develope during the year to be one and go all the way in the playoffs..

thwax

Benchwarmer
This is not an easy time for the Knicks... the team i love! Just look at all the coaches that would not come here... sure LB is open to the idea - that's because he's a NY guy, owns a home in the Hamptons and $50 million over 5 years is hard to resist... i just think that isaih has a look of work ahead, and we have to be VERY careful with what we do... being trade happy is we have become known could really hurt 2007... we don't want to have to do sign and trades at other teams mercy forever... we want to sign people straight up in 2007 not beyond that... if that's the case good buy to Yao, Amare and Lebron... all restricted free agents then... all we have is draft picks which is good but will take time to develop

ny3nyk

Rotation player
i dunno about the coaching frenzy.......i would like pat riley to come back to us, maybe bring back the knicks back in the days

furious lord

Benchwarmer
:afro: With the roster we have now, I don't think we'll beat the Nets out for the Atlantic Division so easily. They got Jefferson, Carter and Kidd, who love to kill the Knicks. Although I think our roster is better, and we've added size which was our problem last year, I think best case scenario we'll split with New Jersey. James should help keep Kidd and Co. out of the paint, and as their roster stands right now, Carter is their only consistent shooter. The Nets don't have much depth, which will give us a chance. Boston looks like they are rebuilding if they do ship Pierce, Philly is overrated and we should beat Toronto.

Wanna see the Knicks sick Nate Dog on Kidd!

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
ThWax said:

"We're not a Championship team this Year"

i dont think anyone within 50 miles of MSG said the word Championship

Jazzyknicks33

Benchwarmer
Let's be realistic. The knicks have a shot at being a top 10 team this year, but they have no chance of winning a championship. Not for at least 3 years. No doubt about it, They've gotten back on track. I still don't think they're at this point any better than the celtics, and the nets(assuming they get abdur-rahim). Nate R was nice against nelson of orlando, but how much can you expect him to play behind marbury who will play at least 40 minutes a game? Unless Marbury gets traded (which would be a mistake because we haven't even seen Nate play an nba game), Nate will barely get any minutes. I'm not being negative. There's a difference between being negative and realistic.

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
im hoping nate does get at least 10-15 mins of playing time cuz marbury needs a rest...we rode him hard last year and he should play about 30-35 a game this season

Skyhi300

Benchwarmer
pyotrveliky said:
if our team meshes well and plays D we should win the atlantic. if not, i think well still be around 500
we should deffinetly win the Atlantic, its the weakest division in the NBA

thwax

Benchwarmer
With the Nets getting Abdur-Rahim at PF... they look real strong now with Kidd, Jefferson, Carter, Abdur-Rahim, Krstic... Antoine Wright coming of the bench... this is no easy team to could out in the Atlantic Division... Boston is no gimme either... the Sixers are on their way up with Dalembour, Green, Iguadala, Korver (all young and growing)... if Larry is our coach, who knows what the possibilities are!!!

One thing is for sure, the Atlantic Division is strengthening... not the bottom of the barrel any longer?

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
jersey has no depth tho. some1 is sure to get injured and you saw what happened with that last year. boston concerns me more i think cuz they have the veterans with a solid core of young players and theyre pretty deep. sixers are going nowhere with webber and korver is a poor mans allan houston. if dally gets minutes then we might have something to worry about.

thwax

Benchwarmer
What is impressive about the Nets is that they have maintained to stay under the cap and have a very balanced starting 5... i agree the bench is real thin... the suns managed to get through the year with a thin bench... but hurt them in the playoffs (not to mention their defensive issues)

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
the nets would be an opportunistic fast break team as in they have the capability of running but theyre probably better suited at halfcourt game because theyre better defensively.

thwax

Benchwarmer
pyotrveliky said:
the nets would be an opportunistic fast break team as in they have the capability of running but theyre probably better suited at halfcourt game because theyre better defensively.

This is what was impressive about the Spurs in the playoffs... they could play both styles of play... the Nets have a chance to be real good

This is the concern we still have with our beloved Knickerbockers... sure we can play the up-tempo style, but can we get the stops when we need it in the fourth quarter, this was a major problem last year... the amount of fourth quarter collapses... yes we are trying to draft and trade for defensive minded 3 pointer shooters (jokes, jokes)... i think if LB comes to town, we shouldn't have to much of a problem though

thwax

Benchwarmer
New York is a passionate place... and we are all passionate for our Knicks... i just hope that this year is not going to be another year hyped-to-the-max... and come April, be another lead balloon... one other thing, LB is no savior, sure he will help, but he has got to have some talent to work with... of course Larry is phenomenal, but he isn't going to make Frye into Shaq, JYD into Ben Wallace, Crawford into RIP Hamilton... he couldn't only do so much with A.I... i hope this doesn't happen with us to Steph...

thwax

Benchwarmer
Hopefully LB can set us in the right direction to become a championship contender... and not be like the 76'ers which tanked big time when he left! It'll be interesting to see how Flip handles the Pistons now