Why is everyone hating on Marbury noww?

portega1968

El Cacique
Marbury, like all PGs and well said by Furious Lord, needs strong help from the middle on backup D. That area has improved somewhat but needs more work.

Most of Marbury's assists come from the pick and roll, which only works to a certain point. So I'm hoping Larry shows him how to leverage more his scoring ability to create opportunities for his teammates other than the pick and roll.

I would love for us to have an insideout game and use Stephon more as a slasher to the basket who can dishout for the threeball to Q or go for the hoop inside and 1.

Hopefully, Stephon can make everyone forget about his inability to relate constructively with his teammates. He should limit his minutes to 30 to save his ankles and knees, and help develop Nate. I wanna see Steph at SG with Nate at PG some 10 minutes a game.

NYKnicks15

Starter
i know this an easy, duh kinda answer but TOO SMALL. you cant have a 6'2 shooting guard and a""5'9" (actually around 5'6) point guard just wont work.

as of right now were OK at defense (with the addition of Fyre,Lee,james and the last year returns of Ariza and Rose) but with Larry i think will be GOOD at defense. (not super) but good. we still need a defensive presence (mainly a step up from tim thomas who has the body to do it) at the 3.

NYKnicks15

Starter
im very fond of our bench this season. depending on who starts (Q-Rich or Craw...Tim or Ariza) and if we make any more roster changes (which we will) well have a good bench to be proud of.

If nothing changes remind u (well besides waiving houston)..well have 3 on the IL...Taylor, Penny and Butler

C Channing Frye
PF Malik Rose
PF David Lee
PF Jerome Williams
SF Trevor Ariza (or Tim Thomas)
SG Jamal Crawford (or Q-Rich)...i wont include houston cause hell be gone
PG Nate Robinson

looks good to me...dont get me wrong, could be better...but looks damn good at the moment

nycefnl

Benchwarmer
I definitely disagree with "Twin_Star". You can't be certain that Marbury can thrive under Brown. He's already gone on record during the Olympics criticizing the restritive nature of Brown's offense. He was dreadful to watch run the offense during the Olympics. Ok, he did have a breakout game scoring 31 (US Olympic team record), but that just proves his mindset. You can't say that he had no one to pass the ball to. Whether Marbury is here or not I think the Knicks will be a playoff team. but I think for the future of the knicks he'd be better-off out of NY. He's making out rageous money and will make it virtually impossible for the others to blossom. At his salary you simply have to give him the ball to score. You must again get 20 and 8 from him at his cost for the next three years. But it is more likely that he will start the season as the starting point guard. However, having Crawford and Nate there will put the heat on Marbury this season. Marbury can finally look over his shoulders this year. We'll see how he deals with it. Personally, I'd love to see him and our two number 1 picks next year to the Clippers for Livingston and Wilcox who is definately on the trading blocks.[marq=right]

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
yea i cant wait for our bench - theyre young talented and have a lot of energy/hustle and will be exciting to watch. because of nates size i dunno if he can start but he can def be a bench pg cuz he wont be playing against marquee pgs. hell probably be a spark off the bench like boykins. who knows...maybe hell be a muggsy bouges who can start.

Trin_Starr

Starter
You make some valid points nycful, but in the end what is it that Marbury really wants?

It's not the money - he's got that.
It's not about the fame - he's got that too.
It's not about the women - he's happily married with kids
It's about shaking off that label that has followed him throughout his career that he is not a winner and cannot get a team to win a 1st round playoffs series.
He knows he is a winner, but all thoughout his career he never had a coach that would instill the right mindset in him and actually teach him how to play the right way. The only exception being in Minny, but he was too young to fully grasp what good things he had back then.

Why do you think Marbury broke down mentally during the interview where he declared himself "Best PG in the NBA" and that Kidd is a loser - because he is tired of hearing comparisons.
Only when something truly irksyou, is you when you retaliate. That is what gets to Marbury.
He knows now, more than ever he has the chance to elevate his game to a whole other level under brown. He is the man that can make him a winner and restore his luster.
Brown has a proven track record with AI and Billups, all of whom were forced to play Brown's way but ended up benefiting from it in the end.
I sincerely believe that AI is much worse than Marbury when it comes to holding the ball, and if Brown was capable of transforming AI - then Steph who is willing to do what it takes to win, will offer him no stiff opposition.

Brown is very anal when it comes to playing the right way and his PG is the man that has to uphold his system and execute it to perfection. It took AI and Billups about a year to play the way Brown wanted them to play, and u give Marbury a 3 week olympic training camp with Brown and automatically expect him to forget all his old tendencies and follow Brown's play to a T.
I sincerely would not put much thought into that article that said Brown wanted Marbury off of team. This is NY - if that really happened back then, we would have definitely heard about it the day after Brown said something. He was saying that his task was the most difficult out of all the players and even Brown acknowledged that fact. But even if Brown wanted Marbury off the team, then he would have sat Marbury like he did Carmelo. Brown doesn't play when it comes to egos. But Marbury remained the starting PG and averaged the 3rd most minutes on the olympic team.
If Brown truly did not want him there, he could have easily moved AI, Wade or even Lebron to the Point and benched Marbury.
Because of those facts, I honestly believe that even if they did have clashes, Marbury respects Brown to the max and even Brown has publicly said in the NY times that he and Marbury have a great relationship.
He didn't have to say that. He could have said in order to coach the knicks, they need to trade marbury and i am sure dolan would approve.
But they have a mutual respect for eachother, and with Brown's discipline, he will bring out the best in Marbury.

About the money Dolan is paying him - that's why hs has to put up 20/8 every night is not true.
What about H20 and his $20 mil
What about penny and his $16mil
What about TT and his $15 mil
Isiah doesn't tell the coach to play them because they have to earn their salaries.
Marbury plays because currently he was the only knick on the team who actually performed.

NYC2BGI

Rookie
I like Marbury. I think that was a good player on a bad team last year. Hopefully Mr. Thomas can continue to improve the team so that Marbury has someone to pass the ball to.