Larry and Ariza

thwax

Benchwarmer
I never started the thread saying that he'd be a starter... sure sometime in the future... Trevor will be a Knick for life... I would be suprised if he starts before the trade deadline in Feb (maybe one or two games)... Larry's smarter than that, and so is Isiah... don't want to under value TT before trading him...

jayp

Benchwarmer
Ariza will probably be in the rotation, as with Nate.. Both Ariza and Larry have UCLA history and from what the summer leagues show, i think Nate is automatically Steph's backup..

portega1968

El Cacique
Usually, players in their last contract year (like TT and Penny) are attractive for capped-out teams that in February seem lottery bound. These teams can obtain someone like TT or Penny while unloading a player they don't want anymore that has a longer deal but is appealing to a contender. Therefore, when TT comes off that other team's books, they may be able to compete for free agents in the following summer.

If TT has a good year, a playoff bound team may see his expiring contract as a short-term investment that may help them get over the hump and not compromise their future. That's the other possible scenario.

In Phoenix's case, if they max Joe Johnson, they may be forced to trade Marion because they are capped and need to clear space to sign Amare next summer. TT is a match because of his expiring deal and ability to play the same positions as Marion for the remainder of the season.

That value from TT will be known in Feb. (their prorated salaries are also less by then), whereas now no team will want to trade for (nor Penny) and pay the entire year of their huge salaries without seeing how the first part of the season goes.

thwax

Benchwarmer
portega1968 said:
thwax, I wasn't referring to your post when I said someone wanted to see Frye start.

No problem, on this forum there's bound to be someone who wants Bruno or Butler starting :rolling:

Keep living the dream! :)

ny3nyk

Rotation player
dasilva1079 said:
Does anybody know why do we have to wait till trade deadline to trade Tim and/or Penny? and why not trade them now?

i think its best so far to see how we are right now and to make any adjustments later when we actually test the "new" team out

Ted

Benchwarmer
portega1968 said:
Read somewhere that Trevor's offseason training included 600 jumpshots per day. If true, that says a lot of good about the kid's work ethic. He may well turn out to be a Pippen-caliber SF with Larry's guidance.

Still reading posts saying Frye should start or get minutes. Be real people, the kid's not ready and will need some time to develop his game, most of all his rebounding. Placing such a pressure on him (starter) would just kill his development, it would be totally irresponsible.

On the other hand, Nate and Lee are more ready than Frye, and will benefit the most from Larry's teachings. Lee's ability to be where the ball falls is simply amazing, he's a step quicker than anybody on the offensive boards, while Nate simply is a spark plug who inspires everyone. Larry will turn these traits into big assets.

Scottie Pippen? Ariza might be a poor man's Pippen but I highly doubt he's going to be a "Pippen-caliber SF". Pippen-caliber would be 20 points, 5 assists, 7/8 rebuonds All-NBA defense and locker room leadership and clutch play that resulted in 6 NBA Champioships.

Frye certainly has some weaknesses and probably won't be ready right away (few bigs are), but he might. This is a guy who improved his game big time every year at Zona. Now that he realizes what he has to work on I'm sure you'll see some improvement before camp. He also played under one of the greatest basketball coaches ever, which should help him when he plays under an even better one because he knows the game and will do things the right way, do what he's told, work hard, and play for the team not himself. He's also 6-11 and long on a team whose only other player over 6-9 (assuming Bruno doesn't make the cut) is fat and lazy and has never played more than what 17 mpg in 5 NBA seasons. One of his biggest advantages to win some time is that he can hit a jump shot in a similar manner to Doleac, who thrived with Marbury (and Frye can also do other things that Doleac never could). Frye does not look like he's ever going to be a star, but he should enjoy a long, solid career. No one would be asking or expecting him to be KG, just to go out and play his game, Larry has always gotten the most out of role players.
I also think that he and Sweets could complement each other nicely: a long tall finesse player and a short stocky banger. They both have some questions to answer, but let's hope they answer them because potentially they can do so much more than our other front court players: I don't see Malik Rose or JYD suddenly improving at this stage in their careers. No one else can score on the block (softy mcsoft, Mo Taylor, can score inside and LB might be able to get the most out of him as a role player, but i hope it doesn't come to that) or rebound like Sweentey and no big man we have can knock down a J as consistantly as Frye and our only other shot blocker is JJ.

Ted

Benchwarmer
I don't know if it would be forced. Larry is not one for force feeding guys minutes and Sweets can play the 5 and Rose might be able to play there considering the total lack of dominate 5s in the league. If Frye earns a rotation spot I think that it's as a role player becuase he can run the pick and role with Marbury and is so coachable.

thwax

Benchwarmer
I'd be shocked to see LB play Sweets at the 5 behind JJ... I know he's got good hands, great on the offensive glass... but he is an undersized (not weight-wise :lol: ) PF at 6'8!

portega1968

El Cacique
History shows Larry will ALWAYS play a veteran over a rookie or younger player... that's why Rose will backup James instead of Sweets or Frye.

Ted

Benchwarmer
Sorry, which history is that?

I think history will tell you that Larry Brown plays the players who give his team the best chance to win, regardless of their age. Tayshaun Prince is a great example of a young player whose minutes jumped from 10 per game to 30 per game in his first year under Brown and second season in the league (the Ariza comparisons are inevitable). Eric Snow was an unproven 3rd year player when his minutes jumped from 4 in Seattle to 18 in Philly in a mid season deal and 35 in his first full season under Brown. Theo Ratliff also came to Philly in his third year and Aaron McKie in his fourth, so Sweetney, entering his third year, could easily thrive under Brown if he's in shape.

Larry Hughes came into the league pretty raw after only one year in college and he got 20 mpg under Brown. Tim Thomas, also after only one year in college, played 23 mpg and scored 11 ppg in one full season under Brown, his numbers are not much better 7 years later. Some coaches don't let 19 and 20 year olds any where near their ratations. So if Frye is half as good as Isiah thinks he shouldn't have a problem after four years at Zona (problem is that Isiah thinks he's a #1 overall pick when he was barely a first rounder till after his senior season).

Nate Rob, who I know no one doubts, can be compared to Speedy Claxton, who played 22 minutes as a rookie in Philly. Although I would also love to see him come in a smother the oppossing PG the way Hunter did in the playoffs this year.

The young guys who he's sat are raw guys who were clearly not NBA ready like Darko or Dalembert or just plain old bad like John Salmons.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
Ariza needs minutes. I don't think he'll get them though. I think Larry will give the minutes to TT a vet rather than T-Risin. I think T-Risin is close to being the next Ron Artest. He is working on his shooting and the kid is only 20. We need to unfortunately keep TT and Penny, because the contract relief they offer us (TT=13,975,000 + Penny=15,750,000 = 29,725,000).

H20 OFFdaHizZLe

Benchwarmer
Ted said:
Sorry, which history is that?

I think history will tell you that Larry Brown plays the players who give his team the best chance to win, regardless of their age. Tayshaun Prince is a great example of a young player whose minutes jumped from 10 per game to 30 per game in his first year under Brown and second season in the league (the Ariza comparisons are inevitable). Eric Snow was an unproven 3rd year player when his minutes jumped from 4 in Seattle to 18 in Philly in a mid season deal and 35 in his first full season under Brown. Theo Ratliff also came to Philly in his third year and Aaron McKie in his fourth, so Sweetney, entering his third year, could easily thrive under Brown if he's in shape.

Larry Hughes came into the league pretty raw after only one year in college and he got 20 mpg under Brown. Tim Thomas, also after only one year in college, played 23 mpg and scored 11 ppg in one full season under Brown, his numbers are not much better 7 years later. Some coaches don't let 19 and 20 year olds any where near their ratations. So if Frye is half as good as Isiah thinks he shouldn't have a problem after four years at Zona (problem is that Isiah thinks he's a #1 overall pick when he was barely a first rounder till after his senior season).

Nate Rob, who I know no one doubts, can be compared to Speedy Claxton, who played 22 minutes as a rookie in Philly. Although I would also love to see him come in a smother the oppossing PG the way Hunter did in the playoffs this year.

The young guys who he's sat are raw guys who were clearly not NBA ready like Darko or Dalembert or just plain old bad like John Salmons.

yo ted noes wat hes talkin about man listen to him

H20 OFFdaHizZLe

Benchwarmer
is larry brown that good? is he gunna give us 45 wins? what's so good about him? is changing the head coach gunna make that much of a difference? are the young players gunna be able to play? is he gunna treat the rookies like darko? so many questions....a lot of people seem to think something new is something awesome....juss like a lot of people said herb williams was the key to the knicks when they went on a 3-game winning streak or something.....

gee...i wonder....

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
think Larry will give the minutes to TT a vet rather than T-Risin.

wut veteran small forward do we have?

besides arizan and timmy ......there are no other sf.....yea penny could play there richardson will be at the 2 (unless he runs a 3 guard offense from time to time) the only other Sf we got besides them is Lee(who is not a vet and a rookie)

Ariza will get his minutes and u want to no wuts funny......Larry Brown nos ariza's talents witch is kinda strange since ariza is still an unknown player...he mentioned his name in a recent press conference

he also said he could turn jamal crawford into a defensive threat...i hope wut he says is true

thwax

Benchwarmer
If (the royal 'if') Finley comes into town... i'd hate Ariza to get stuck behind Q and Finley.

crawford_fan1

Benchwarmer
Larry will like Ariza because he was a good rookie last year and he could be a good player if he work on his field goals.

BROOKLYN REPRESENT ALL DAY EVERY DAY

BROWNSVILLE & BED-STUY

WHERE U AT?

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
" he could be a good player if he work on his field goals. "

Ariza is not a kicker for the NFL.....

no but i agree as soon as arizas shots start to drop... he will be a great player for years to come for us