Who's gone, who's going up, now that Larry is here?

portega1968

El Cacique
Looking at the roster, I expect some players to buckle under Larry's pressure, whereas others will elevate their games.

Steph - Must be tired of the criticism of how he isn't a leader nor a winner. After some rough sailing the first couple of months, he'll start to play more defense and make his teammates better. I think Larry will end of using him like 15-20 minutes a night at SG and another 15-20 at PG.

Jamal - Probably gone sooner than later. Meanwhile, will split his minutes off the bench at both guard positions (20 mins. a night).

Q - will start at SG until he drives Larry nuts with his 3shot. Will be trade bait if he doesn't fit in from the start.

Timmy - will start at SF and do well under Larry until he's shipped before March.

Sweetney - Next ex-Knick. If not gone within 3 weeks, will start at pf to up his trade value, but will buckle under Larry's pressure because he's lazy.

Jerome James - will end up at the end of the bench 'cause he just is a foul machine. His questionable play will usher in a new center before feb.

Nate, Ariza and Lee will get more and more minutes with each passing week (Steph and Q will be only Knick above 30 mins).

Rose may even start 'cause he's the player that most resembles Larry's style. That may have saved his butt from being cut.

I don't think Allan will be cut with the Allan Houston clause (that would be ironic). He will get the chance to comeback or he will retire during the season.

Mo will ride the pine. If Jeff and Patrick couldn't get him 2 play defense, Larry won't even bother. It's a pity because his post game deserves starter status. He may even be cut with that Houston clause.

Frye will remind us of Darko.

Butler will be at the NBA D-League for portions of the season until he comes in next year with the maturity level he's lacking right now.

JYD will get his minutes as will Rose 'cause of their intensity and experience.

Best thing will be more players will want to play in NY now with Larry!

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
New York Post columnist Jay Greenberg (registration required): "Assuming Tim Thomas - whom Brown already once traded - and Penny Hardaway are gone anyway, Brown will want rid of Jamal Crawford and probably Quentin Richardson, which is where the relationship with an equally headstrong Isiah will be tested."

got that off prosportsdaily.com

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
o and houston will not retire if he plays.....he still can play and isnt 2 old.......plus he has 40 million dollars coming to him

who would pass up 40 million dollars

hoop115

Benchwarmer
the NBA Insurance provider will pay the contract. But if he retires he cannot un-retire b/c then the insurance provider doesn't have to pay him since he is able to play. That's one of the major reasons he doesn't want to just retire.

ny3nyk

Rotation player
i disagree with that frye and darko comparison. i think frye has come along way and worked too hard to be some bench warmer

furious lord

Benchwarmer
:afro:
I too agree with most of the original post except for the Frye and Darko comparison. I watched two of the early summerleague games, the kid has talent, athleticism and can shoot. His problem is he is too aggressive and undisciplined, that's why he kept getting multiple fouls. Darko on the other hand according to summerleague scouts is still a project and was getting schooled by undrafted free agents.
If we don't trade for a PF, or Sweets doesn't get in shape, Frye might beat him out for the 4 spot. he's taller, quicker, and has 3 point range. Knowing Brown, he might think of having JYD or even Rose play backup center.

And about Crawford- He might actually strive in Brown's system.
Although because of his size he's a defensive liability, he has extremely quick hands and got mad steals and pass deflections for us last year. I see Brown using him with Nate off the bench, the way he used Lindsey Hunter and Mike James in his first championship run.
-Billups was also undisciplined offensively took too many bad shots was traded many times and viewed as a bust b4 he came to the Pistons.

thwax

Benchwarmer
There's no guarantee that Aguirre will be around to help Frye with LB in town... i would think that being Isiah's boy, he'd try and keep him... but larry may bring in his own crew to help Herb and himself

NYKnicks15

Starter
read a report saying Crawford, is all offense, no defense, 3 point chucker, sometimes selfish and always skinny....(pointing out the obvious riight? haha)...anyways the part that got my attention was "he'll probably end up in Cleveland or Portland" by this season...interesting?

portega1968

El Cacique
Read in knicks.com a response by Larry to the criticism of how he limits rookies...Larry said that he's probably coached more rookies of the year than any other coach... does someone know if this is a fact? if so, who were the players that as rookies under Brown won that award?

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
jamal doesnt chuck up the 3's like he previousaly has been doing......jamals shot selection did improve.....and jamal was supposely pose to do extra weightlifting in the offense to get his weight and streghth up........

20 is a CROOK

Benchwarmer
The Knicks roster right now is not the typical LB type team, (which is an understatement). LB will see who is willing to step up their game and become key components, and who will take steps backwards and drift off into NBA oblivion.

My guess is that: Ariza, Nate, Lee, JYD, Frye, Rose, will do well

Sweetney, Taylor, Penny, Houston, TT, Crawford, will lose more minutes as time goes on.

Marbury will either have an outstanding year, or be even more written off as a habitual loser, and probably traded by the end of the year.

Q will do well under Larry if he listens and plays "his game" that he said he couldn't play in Phoenix, such as posting up and not chucking so many 3's.

G-Hutch

Rookie
Coach Brown will make Ariza a star, but he needs to work on his jump shot. When he makes a jumper, I'm shocked!

Hopefully LB will get our cast of career underachievers & losers (Tim Thomas, Steph, Mo Taylor, Jerome "Big Snacks" James, JC, etc.) to bring their game to another level.

I love Starbury and his stats are great, but this is the year he has to put some wins together. I'd like to see him average 17ppg & 12apg instead of his 20 & 8. His ability to drive & kick should get Q-Rich & Crawford tons of open shots.