Would Ariza be better off at the 2 spot?

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I think Ariza'a game and his body type makes him a very good 2. His outside shooting needs improvement but he is quick, is starting to develope a nice move to the rim and would be nice to have a 6" 7' 2 guard. I know people will chime in on his long range shooting, but he will develope that part of his game over time.

NYKnicks15

Starter
i think we already have two good brick throwers in Crawford & Q-Rich and they do have a good shooting touch..Ariza has developed his outside shooting over the summer, i read something where hed take 100 shots a day at the same position not sure on that but i remember it making me believe he was really dedicated towards it..

all injuried/pending trades aside i think with Craw, Penny, Q-Rich, Houston, Marbury and Nate are 1 & 2 positions are pretty cluttered already.

hes good at driving to the lane and his shooting is developing, hes a dunker, long and athletic you keep him at 3 thats where hes meant to play..

FLipfacTion4LyfE

Benchwarmer
yeah i saw suprised wen i saw him listed as a benched 2 guard on nba live 06.. But i think he'd wanna stay out of the log jammed guard position right??

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
For him to actually get some minutes he needs to play the 3, behind Q Rich. He got no three pointer as far as I know and the 2 spot needs to be able to drill them.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
dasilva1079 said:
For him to actually get some minutes he needs to play the 3, behind Q Rich. He got no three pointer as far as I know and the 2 spot needs to be able to drill them.

I don't agree about "needing to drill 3 pointers" to be a quality 2 guard. If you don't agree, I have 2 words for you... Clyde Drexler. He was a horrible 3 point shooter and he is 1 of the 100 greatest players. I think Ariza has the makings of a potential good to very good 2 guard. I also believe that 2 of the current guards will be traded... Penny is one and I think they will either trade Marbury or JC. I'm just not sure what position they will fill with the trade. I am hoping they will go after a 3 or 4.

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
if u noticed 20 or so years ago.....there were alot of bad shooter.........the game of basketball and hte players have improved so much that if ur a shooting guard and cant shoot.......u will have a tuff time finding a job......its as simple as that........this isnt the 80s bra

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
KnicksFan20 said:
if u noticed 20 or so years ago.....there were alot of bad shooter.........the game of basketball and hte players have improved so much that if ur a shooting guard and cant shoot.......u will have a tuff time finding a job......its as simple as that........this isnt the 80s bra

You are wrong, there has always been awesome jump shooters through out the years... Pistol Pete, Jerry West, Larry Byrd, Joe Dumars, Isiah Thomas, Craig Ehlo, Byron Scott, Mitch Richmond, Chris Mullin... Hell pick any Celtics team from the 50's and on and you will find shooters as good as today. The only fifference was the induction of the 3 point shot, Before that there were guys that were able to hit from distances that later would have been 3 points. You are looking at a 2 guard in a very 1 dimentional way. The problem with a jump shooter is; when his junp shot is taken away, he is shut down. When you have someone who is athletic and has the ability to create their own shot, wheather it is a quick move that free's up a lane to the hoop, or the ability to free up space to get a shot off, they are a weapon. Ariza has tremendous athletic ability and he is quick and agressive. If he can develope an outside shot.....Kobe, Richardson these guys had to get an outside shot to keep the defence honest.

nyk33334

Benchwarmer
i dont think you guys are even on da same page but whatever. Ariza should kome off the bench as a SF. If anything, Coach Brown is getting on Trevor's ass for having no shooting skills. Hence, improved shooting. I too was surprised in Live'06, he's listed as a SG.

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
i didnt say there wernt any great shooters......im saying the players of basketball today are a hell of alot better shooting wise then the players of the past.......im saying to compare a player who plays a certain position back then to one who plays one now woldnt be accurate

its like comparing kareem to shaq......kareem in his days was one of the dominate centers.....one of the best players in the league.....but he would get smacked around now adays.....he was a great center in his time.....but compared to our current center of the generation he is not on his level

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
KnicksFan20 said:
i didnt say there wernt any great shooters......im saying the players of basketball today are a hell of alot better shooting wise then the players of the past.......im saying to compare a player who plays a certain position back then to one who plays one now woldnt be accurate

its like comparing kareem to shaq......kareem in his days was one of the dominate centers.....one of the best players in the league.....but he would get smacked around now adays.....he was a great center in his time.....but compared to our current center of the generation he is not on his level

I seem to remember Shaq being dominated by a center that he out weighed by 70 pounds named Hakeem Olajuwon. Shaq is a bad example to use. His dominance is due to the lack of quality centers in today's game. When Shaq retires, there won't be someone like him for a very long time, like Jordan. Also, I totally disagree with you on the game! Todays shooters are no where near the quality of the shooters in the past. What would have been a more accurate statement is the players today are more athletic and flashy then the player of the past. The game has drastically changed from a fundamentally correct and accurate game to a bunch of ESPN highlights. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing the dealth defying dunks, but I do miss the quality of the past game.
Also, another point about Shaq. I am 38 years old and I have been lucky enough to see Kareem play and Moses Malone, Hakeem Olajuwon, Ewing, and so on bang against each other. Shaq plays in a time where they changed the rules to take away alot of the tenacious, physical aspect that used to be part of the game. If shaq would have shown up in the late 70's, early 80's, he would of put up with alot more physical resistant than he does today. Big Ben is as close to a "Throw Back" center than any other center today.

NYKnicks15

Starter
most irrevelant subject ive ever heard. this is about ARIZA BEING A SHOOTING GUARD. not centers. 20 was trying to bring up the point that the shooters of today have evolved and he is correct. yes there were good shooters back in the day but not the quality nor necessity of today. if you cant shoot you dont play the SG simple as that. ARIZA ARIZA cause thats the subject of this topic is not a Shooting Guard. You dont need to sink threes to be a good shooting guard, but it sure as hell helps. i just dont see the point of putting ARIZA at the 2 when you can have someone like Q or JC playing that position who can penetrate, hit two's and hit three's..compared to ARIZA who just got a steady jumper..

lets stay on topic guys..

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
i think at the moment for him to get playing time hell play the 3 cuz its less cluttered than the 2. he seems a bit like tayshuan, athletic good defender not the greatest shooter. but if we end up making guard trades for a sf id expect him to play the 2.