[NY Times] Knicks Have A Problem, And It's Not A Little One

rady

Administrator
Staff member
The Knicks, once bereft of talented big men, now have a dual problem in their suddenly loaded frontcourt. They have more power forwards and centers than they can possibly use, and some of the big men are, frankly, too big.

Coach Larry Brown has yet to settle on a starting lineup or a consistent rotation, and part of the problem is that his best big men are not ready for extended playing time.

Center Eddy Curry was off for nearly seven months after experiencing heart trouble when he was with Chicago. His backup, Jerome James, missed most of training camp because of a hamstring strain. Antonio Davis, a possible starter at power forward, joined the team only a week ago.

"I just think our big guys, in particular Eddy and Jerome, are not in the kind of shape they need to be in to play in the N.B.A. right now," Brown said. "But we still have time. And they will get in shape, and they will help us."

Full Story

NateSlam

Rookie
feel him with the Curry and the James situation but the season is still over a week away, there is plenty of tiem for conditioning!

Im not worrying about it so far im just happy we have some big men this year

nyk33334

Benchwarmer
they're only minor injuries. im sad that we wont be able to see our new team prior to the season debut, but im not too worried. kome season opener we should be in better shape. i kant wait till nate rob dunks, most probly during a home game. but hey, im glad to see our rookies doin der thAng. 10 more days till the season openner.

NYKnicks15

Starter
yup just NY media trying to worry about the unworriable haha..last year we had HUGE PROBLEM WITH LACK OF BIG MEN now we have HUGE PROBLEM WITH EXCESS OF BIG MEN. The players will get in shape theres nothing to worry about. the only person that will be out of the loop really is either one of these two Malik Rose or Maurice Taylor. Anyone upset by that?

the players will get in shape Eddy & Jerome will split time until then. Davis & Frye will put their two cents in at the PF position. Then Butler will fill the little gap. (if going by what weve seen in the preseason, and knock on wood of that to happen)..

im not gonna stress this and just cant wait to see everything come to form..exciting season ahead, not declaring it a winning one..but exciting nonetheless

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I think JJ and Curry needs to shed a few pounds, to say the least! I am confident that they will but I think, with Curry, we have to be patient. He has been off for 7 months and not very active in his work out either. He will need time to get his NBA game shape going. I am also hoping that Brown will get Curry to improve on his D and I think that will come with his conditioning as well. I am on the side of that this year will be a coming together of sorts. The knicks will need games under their belt to get used to playing with each other. As far as JJ is concerned, I read that he has shed about 13 pounds since he came to the Knicks. I think he need to get down to about 265/270 to get some quickness and stamina. If these 2 guys can stay focused and disciplined, I think they will be great and really help this team. I think it is important, as a Knicks fan, not to expect too much from this season. We need to take a realistic approach to what the goal is for Browns first year. He will focus on getting this team to play as a team and get Curry playing as a top center. I think that the guys we have will really benefit and grow under Brown. I also expect Ariza to take his game to the next level. He is a good defender, real energetic but has to work on his outside shot. It looks like his free throws have improved, now it is time to get his outside shot going. If he can, he is going to be a very good player. Steph is a question mark, as well as QR. I am willing to bet that either Crawford or QR gets traded before the dead line or during the off season. I can't see brown keeping both of them; they play very similar and have the type of game that will drive him nuts... NO D and hoisting up shot after shot. The 3 pre games I watched, Crawford actually tempered his wild shooting but let's see if it lasts.

portega1968

El Cacique
C - Jackie Butler
PF - Channing Frye
SF - David Lee
SG - Trevor Ariza
PG - Nate Robinson

This under-22 team could very well beat our starters head-to-head if they don't get their shit straight. Our future looks nice with these guys as our foundation.

I wouldn't be surprised to see these guys grabbing starters minutes before the season is over. Hell, I would start them just to give the others a wakeup call.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
portega1968 said:
C - Jackie Butler
PF - Channing Frye
SF - David Lee
SG - Trevor Ariza
PG - Nate Robinson

This under-22 team could very well beat our starters head-to-head if they don't get their s**t straight. Our future looks nice with these guys as our foundation.

I wouldn't be surprised to see these guys grabbing starters minutes before the season is over. Hell, I would start them just to give the others a wakeup call.

I agree and I disagree. I think Nate is too much of a cowboy right now and might need to be reeled in a little. I think he has showed imaturity alot in the pre-season. Also, Frye is a wierd situation! His game is a 3 yet he is a 5/4?!? I think Brown and the rest of the orginization will have some trouble finding his true NBA game. Now, I know he has only a few pre-season games under his belt, but he seems to get pushed around down low and to be a legit 4/5 in the NBA, he will have to have a presence in the paint! Now, Lee and Ariza has tremendous upside!!! I think Lee is going to be an asset to the Knicks and I like Ariza at the 2 spot as well. He plays D, is very athletic! He can drive to the rim as well and if he can get a consistant outside shot going... He will be a top guard in my opinion! Curry and JJ needs to get in better physical shape, as well as NBA shape and they will have the 5 spot sealed.

NYKnicks15

Starter
i read that before but i was sure until i read this..Channing Frye is a SF? okay lets see he shoots a jumper, he shoots a hook, he rebounds, he dunks, he blocks shots, hmm doesnt Tim Duncan do all that? Would u consider Tim a SF? Sure he has a thin frame but nothing a little weight added on couldnt fix..hes young, he will add weight. Nenad Krstic is the same frame and he seems to do fine and is considered the next big thing in NJ. I dont think anyone was complaining with Frye adding 19 points and 8 rebs against San Antonio as PF was anyone??? i think thats a one sided comment, just because of weight issue. Without looking at the kids weight lets just watch his good play on the court, where he seems to be doing just fine in the preseason at the C-PF...i bet u Frye will actually get some starting nods at PF this season..by the way 248 is only 12 lbs less than Duncan..12 pounds can be gained quite easily..

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I'm telling you, Frye reminds me of Charles Smith!! I know every Knicks fan is hoping he will be like Marcus Camby, but I just don't see it. Just remember everything I said at the end of this season! I don't care what his wieght and height is, that doesn't make him a Center or a power forward. Also, to even mention Frye in the same sentence as Duncan is just absurd! Rasheed Wallace isn't Duncan, never mind Frye! Also, I never made an issue about his weight, just his game. Listen, I hope he makes waves, the knicks are my team and I hope all 3 of their picks turn out to make a difference. I just feel Lee is probably the one pick that will be someone who will contribute on a daily basis. The jury is still out on Nate for me, but I hope he turns into a good NBA player. I've seen guys come out of collage, after having a great collegant basketball career and not translate well in the NBA. I think Frys is going to be one fo those guys.

NYKnicks15

Starter
alright your getting a little too literal here. I never compared him as in oh hes just like Tim Duncan, im saying he has the same type of game. my point was would u consider Duncan a 4 and Frye a 3 if they have the same style of game...and i dont think anyone wants him to be a "camby", personally i like my players to play more than 50 games a season. and they have two different styles of play i think...i must of misunderstood when you said "he gets pushed around down low". i took that as hes too weak and needs to bulk up..my bad...i think hell do fine, not saying hell be a superstar but i think hell be a legit player who stays around for a decent amount of time in the NBA. i know its preaseason but 19-8 against the Spurs isnt an easy task..

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
i think channing has more range and therefore becomes less of a post presence. he should work on playing down low while maintaining the shooting range.