OFFICIAL offer made to Minny For KG

Will K.G. be a Knicks

• Total voters

NYKnicks15

Starter
According to ESPN the Knicks have made an official offer to Minnesota for disgruntled star Kevin Garnett. Close friends of KG have stated he has been lobbying management to send him to New York to reunite him with former teammater Stephon Marbury.

No official word on the deal offered but is said to have offered the expiring contracts of Penny Hardaway and/or Antonio Davis. If both NY would also have to take the likes of Wally Sczerbiak...(sorry i just threw up in my mouth a little bit there)..KG isnt really fond of Wally so thatd be a slight weird..but ill post more news as it comes.. :)

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
penny and antonio is a dream come true. i really really dont wanna give up our young guys, but no problem with crawford going or anyone else except marbury or curry. ideally wed keep that core plus kg and whoever we get from minny. unrealistic but hopeful, because the rooks have small contracts.

Starks

Starter
Re-thinking the KG hoopla

The KG headline on espn is no doubt going to plant a seed in every Knick fan's head, but Knick fans should consider these stats: 10.4 ppg, .705% FT, .491% FG, 6.1 Reb.....Thats KG's numbers in his first year, in close to 30mins a game. Now look over at Frye's 13.2ppg, .875% FT, .510% FG, 5.7 Reb....in only 23mins a game. Look at KG's age (29) compared to Frye's (22). With all that said, then why do we need KG so bad, other than his popularity and leadership. If we can dump stiffs like Penny, Taylor, Rose, James, and Davis, then i would trade in a nanosecond. All I am trying to say is that we may have something special here in Frye and should really focus on getting a play maker so we can move Steph to 2 guard. Sorry Larry, but Steph gets paid way toooooo much to become Eric Snow. I'm w/ Steph all the way on this one. Who cares if he sux as a point guard and doesn't make the team better, he is too talented a scorer to have a cap on his game.

NYKnicks15

Starter
so your saying Frye is the next coming of Kevin Garnett? a lot of ppl have had stats like those ex. Emeka Okafor, doesnt mean they are the next KG. and its not a matter of what KG USED to do but what he puts up now, and the numbers are way better than that...I like Frye and supported him since day one but doesnt mean hes the next KG..

also whoever said the deal included Frye? the Source said hardaway and davis...if it included frye wouldnt that be said first as the MOST important piece?

but the deal said Davis & Hardaway so going by that...nanosecond over. ud take KG.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
If the Knicks are to become elite again we must acquire Garnett. No matter who we trade. I like Marbury but if that is what it takes to gain Garnett then so be it! Fry is great and may be the future of this team, but he's no Garnett. Some of you guys talk as if the Knicks are a good team. We're not! Work in progress is an understatement. You guys think our first few games were rough, wait until we play the best in the east (Heat, Pistons, Pacers, ext) Let's face it, we've been playing trash teams and have been struggling. We need a franchise player. If there is any truth to the rumor, and right now that's all it is, a rumor, then we've got to jump on it.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
i have a hard time believing that minny would give away garnett for JUST expiring contracts. i HAVE to imagine that they would want some young talent in return...maybe something like:

frye/ariza/penny/davis for garnett/wally

which i would still do in a second...

insomniac

Benchwarmer
Garnett to Knicks probable

Garnett is under contract for $18 million this season, then will make $21 million, $22 million and $23 million over the next three years. With Wally Szczerbiak under contract for an equal number of years ($10 million this season, $11 million, $12 million and $13 million the next three), the Timberwolves would have very little salary cap flexibility for the next half-decade unless they jettisoned their two highest-paid players. Minnesota already has a forward (Mark Madsen) and three guards (Marko Jaric, Troy Hudson and Trenton Hassell) signed at least through the 2009-10 season.

One source told ESPN.com that the New York Knicks had made Minnesota an offer that included the expiring contracts of Penny Hardaway ($15.7 million) and Antonio Davis ($13.9 million). But for such a trade to work under salary cap rules, the Knicks would also have to take back Sczcerbiak. While that deal would be stunningly lopsided talent-wise, it would relieve the Wolves of $102 million in salary obligations over the next three seasons, allowing them to enter the 2006 offseason with approximately $25 million of cap space.

One source close to several NBA players insisted that the viability of the Knicks' offer should not be dismissed, going so far as to say Garnett was making a private push through back channels to be dealt to New York and reunite with former teammate Stephon Marbury.

"I'd bet money he'll be wearing a Knicks uniform by the end of February," the source said.

Trin_Starr

Starter
a knick fan said:
i have a hard time believing that minny would give away garnett for JUST expiring contracts. i HAVE to imagine that they would want some young talent in return...maybe something like:

frye/ariza/penny/davis for garnett/wally

which i would still do in a second...

That's because you have to put the money saved in perspective.
KG and wally are paid up for the next 3 seasons. By taking them both, we will save the Wolves organization $102 million dollars!
Now that is ALOT of money!!! :)
And it is worth even more to McHale because we know he is a cheapskate - if he truly wanted to win, money being no objective, he wuold have paid cassell and spree and I am sure they would have made another trip to the conference finals....but he's rebuilding and not really looking for a good, expensive team.
Secondly, with the expiring contracts, the wolves will have a little more than $25 million in cap space entering the 2006 season....
No other team can provide that size of cap relief except the NY knicks.

The other major factor that should not be discounted is
"KG is making a private push through back channels to be dealt to NYC and reunite with Steph"
If this statement from the ESPN source is true, this is huge!
You have to remember KG, like Shaq will hold the upper hand in the trade negiotations.
Because the wolves will trade KG to wherever he wants to go for all the years of hard work and dedication to their organization.

Look at the Shaq trade - He was traded for Odom, Butler and Grant. We might as well nuke grant from the equation since he was busted up b4 the trade. Shaq wanted to go to Miami. The lakers had to deal him there out of respect for his wishes as gratitude for what he had done for their organization. They took whatever Miami offered - so basically Shaq for Odom and Butler (without even getting wade!) is the steal of the century!
The same will be the situation with KG. The wolves will take a reasonable offer from the knicks.

That's why the source said, "He'll bet money KG is a knicks by february!"

Trin_Starr

Starter
Re: Re-thinking the KG hoopla

Starks said:
Look at KG's age (29) compared to Frye's (22). With all that said, then why do we need KG so bad, other than his popularity and leadership.

Please don't joke around like that....
KG last year average 22pts 14rebs 6asts 1.5 stls 1.5blks a game!
while shooting 50% from the field, and 81% from the FT line
Yes one man averaged that!!!
That is just not human....
Frye is nice, but c'mon man, all jokes aside - he will not be the next Garnett.

At 29, KG has a good 6 years ahead of him.

KG comes to us in February - the knicks have an extremely strong chance of title contention this year and for the next 5-6 years after that.
The goal of each NBA team is to win a championship - you think Isiah is gonna let that slide if the wolves wanted Frye????

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
how u going to compare fryes first year stats wit KG...u talkin about a kid who went through four years in college to a kid out of high skool...come on man

Starks

Starter
datruth said:
how u going to compare fryes first year stats wit KG...u talkin about a kid who went through four years in college to a kid out of high skool...come on man

Hey all I am saying is that Channing Frye's youth an talent is more valuable than KG's youth and declining talent. Lets forget about how bad the knicks record is and be realistic about him: he's reached his potential and he's still awesome, but once he gets in a mjor injury, look for his skills to drop. He is to costly as it is anyway. If we pick up his contract and run into personel problems, the Knicks would be screwed (Just like all the NBA journalists warned Knick fans when we attained his contract) New York hasn't had a spectacular rookie since, well, Ewing. Lets give Frye some major burn on the court and let this kid flourish under Larry Brown's watchful eye. Trust me if Channing keeps it up, in 3 years, this kid is gona be a superstar. So I say let KG go to Golden State, (where im sorry to say is his most likley destination if not Detroit) and lets focus on developing team chemistry.

RMK-NYK

Benchwarmer
My 2 cents on KG

I personally have never been the type of fan that likes his teams to go out and give up youth on high price vets....I think there's something to be said about developing your own guys and seeing them succeed for you.

Now that all being said...I think there are exceptions in some cases and KG is one of them. This is a guy who at 29 is still in his prime and will be there for the next 5-6 yrs at least (with today's athletes having longer careers...who knows maybe more). The only guys I would try to keep in any potential deal here are Marbury and Frye and Curry only because I dont think Minesotta would want him. All else are fair game.

Another point to be made here is that this speaks to the clueless nature of Isiah, possibly the dumbest GM in the history of the NBA. Does this man have any semblance of a plan?? He put together this mish mash roster, and now the fact that he's making offers for KG (which would again change the face of the team) shows the lack of direction of this organization. While I agree with this move, it's disconserting to see that the GM has no idea what direction he wants to take the team.

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
If we do Davis and Penny for KG and Wally, that will be so sick. And big deal on KG's numbers his first year, he is one of the top 5 best players in the league and will make a huge difference here. Frye can still get his minutes and maybe play some PF and have KG play C some of the time.

But lets get realistic, I doubt KG will be coming here but there is a possibility.

But how sweet would it be if he did? :lol:

WiL8000

Rotation player
Not that this wouldn't be good, but we need someone who can really shoot, and spread the floor a little more. But if it happened I wouldn't complain about it.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Stephen A Smith has just confirmed that the knicks are talking to the Wolves. AD and Penny for KG, Wally and Hudson.

The Wolves want Frye. Isiah says no

That's where it stands.

Blumatic

Rotation player
I would love it if KG were a Knick. But I would implore Isiah to keep our rookies. All of them. Though Garnett and Steph to gether can make us a contender the question is however: How long can they make us a contender. KG is 29 steph is 28. It will take a year or 2 to gel and maybe 2 year at a shot of a championship. After that we'll just be an old team in transition again. If we keep the young guys and they improve and Isiah slowly bulinds around them as time goes on we will have a good team for 10 to 15 years and more and maybe 3-5 of a chance to win a championship. KG coming here with the rookies still intach will give us about 2 decades of winning seasons.

KG trade should be pulled but Isiah has to keep the bright future. I know its all about winning now. But I think its better win win later for longer.