knicks to sign Qyntel Woods

NYKnicks15

Starter
that sucks i thought theyd open it for someone better than him...perhaps the 2 for 1 with portland is a no go now that Miles needs surgery..i hope this just results in a filler for a pending trade.. :(

Trin_Starr

Starter
I'm not too thrilled of the idea as well, but I have never seen him play so I don't know what he can and cannot do...

However, hoopshype describes him as:
Very talented... Outstanding athleticism...Very versatile... Can handle the ball and shoot it well... Can play some point... Defense still needs work... Has some baggage.

B4 he was drafted in 2002, nbadraft.net wrote:

NBA Comparison: Tracy McGrady

Strengths: (Based on hearsay) Possibly the most talented prospect in the entire 2002 NBA Draft if he declares. Has skills that are unteachable. Part of the new breed of NBA players, of the Tracy McGrady, multi-skilled, ultra athletic types. A do it all player. One NBA insider I spoke to said he will be a top 3 pick and may end up the best player in the entire draft class.Comparing him to McGrady, he probably isn't the run jump athlete but his handle and shot are better. More importantly, "He's a good kid. I've met him and talked with his family, and he may not have taken the usual course to the NBA, but he's a good kid." Very versatile, extremely skilled wing player, with great size and quickness. Can handle the basketball extremely well at 6-9, scores with a variety of moves to the basket, and has a nice shooting stroke. Explosive player with very good scoring ability.

Hopefully Isiah and LB think they can bring out what scouts first saw in him....

NYKnicks15

Starter
yea ive seen him play and not just in the nba...its not that his play discourages me just i thought we were waiting for someone more special...its also that "extra baggage" they spoke of that makes me weary..

hoop115

Benchwarmer
Does anyone have specifics on how much and how long? It's probably for a minimum amount of $$$ and years. If we're willing to take a risk on Jerome James and Eddy Curry to huge contracts, then we should atleast see what Woods has to offer to this team. I know he has alot of baggage, but I've seen him play and he may be worth taking a risk at SF. I will always have faith in LB as a coach, and think that he may be able to work him along.

NYKnicks15

Starter
ugh i hate when people who dont know who players are OR have never seen them play judge the person by their stats. he never really got playing time but this kid can ball. hes a 24 year old very athletic and talented kid BUT its just that "baggage" that bothers me like i said. (The pitbull incident aswell as the substance abuse..oh and him still being on probation. but hes a 6'8 young gifted small forward and i guess atleast until deadline we can use him...hell be there for the Seattle game, im actually kinda excited..

hoop115

Benchwarmer
i actually saw him play against the Knicks two years ago in the Garden. He was decent, but as advertised. He's very athletic, can shoot, but needs to work a little on his breakdown skill if he truly wants to be a TMac type player.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
I believe this is strictly a Larry Brown and his assistant coachs move....

Isiah saw the kid was athletic and young and said hell yeah, i'll give him a shot.

I think Larry and his people saw some good potential in the kid when he was drafted and always kept him in mind til now....let see what happens.

The contract is most likely for the minimum and a short amount of time and will not restrict any trades on the 15th.

pat

Starter
i think that it is a good move and he is probably grateful for getting another chance. all those people who say that the knicks are lacking talent are terribly wrong. what we really lack is chemistry. LB should really stick to his cast and give them a chance for this year and add a nice support cast and that is what that woods signing seems to be. maybe he can surprise us all.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
LB is constantly looking for the long athletic defensive minded player. woods is long and athletic, let's see if he's defensive minded.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
If they sign him to say a 10 day contract, then it doesn't matter. I think Isiah should be smart and not take away the spot for the rest of the season, just in case a deal come along. QW has (or had) tremendous promise coming out and has seemed to have lost his way. If he can focus, and stayed committed to the team, he can be an asset. He has skills, he just seems to derail himself all the time.

pat

Starter
you should stop looking for the big deal that might come along. this is like a puzzle. the chemistry was right in seattle last year, without a monster-deal and if LB is able to get the players he needs we should be fine in one or two years

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i rather had isiah sign rodney white over woods or last years consideration eddie robinson but hey isiah sees somethin in woods