Isiah Must Make Trade to Save His Job

furious lord

Benchwarmer
:afro:
In my opinion, due to the recent allegations against Isiah Thomas, combined with revelations about questionable business practices throughout MSG, the GM of our beloved Knicks may be facing a now or never season. The NY media sharks have smelled blood in the water, and there is already more and more articles written about how Isiah should be fired. Whether or not we think it's fair, this could be his last season, unless the team makes a big tunaround. Papers like the Post will make sure this "scandal"becomes bigger than it is, making the organization look even worse. From a PR standpoint, the product on the court has to improve drastically. In order to do that, Isiah has to make a trade, not no Maurice Taylor malik Rose kinda trade, but a big name or multiple player trade to save his ass. And because we have Larry Brown as a coach, it makes no sense to do an all out rebuilding process anyway. The fans are getting restless, and ticket sales will start to suffer if the losing continues. Looking at the roster, the most glaring need is at the 2, the 3 and backup point. I think there has to be some good players on some bad teams that will be dealt by the trading deadline, and Thomas cannot sit on his hands this time. I would put anybody on the block except for Frye, Curry, Robinson and suprisingly Marbury. We have 2 expring contracts, 3 good rookies, two of which we could afford to let go because we still have a bunch of young players anyway, and no significant draft picks to offer. So we got to go after players that want off their current teams, or teams looking to dump salary.
Any suggestions....please no outrageous trade ideas
Yes, I would put Lee and R

Starks

Starter
I think Thomas will step down as GM once April comes. Myabe he will beat this court case, but no human can withsatnd the amount of criticism and ire that he is receiveing from fans, and media. Just read the sunday papers and you will see how horrible the Knick franchise has become. In todays Nwe York Post head to head section, the writers dual it out w/ arguing how disgusting the Knicks franchise has become. And don't forget, I am sure Thomas is wife has not been too happy about all this. Sorry Isaiha, but it thinks its time you leave us be.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
If Isiah is plannign his own exedus, then he shouldnlt make any trades. If he is not going to stick around, on his own terms, then he doesn't have the right to alter the roster anymore,... he needs to just ride out the season. Also, I disagree with the trade request. I admit, I have been pushing for a trade but unless we can land a Star, in a position we need, then we should just let our expiring contracts run out and really go head first into the rebuilding phase. I think the patchwork project that the Knicks have undertaken these past few years has proven to be un effective! So, let's not only stop the bleeding, but let's heal as well. If we are to make any trades, let's try to be the team that unloads the big contracts instead of taking them on.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i dont think isiah leaving is the solution...look at the team he has put together..he has put a old non athletic team to a young running team, only problem is that larry brown is not makin the young kids run...isiah has done his part of the job, is time for larry brown to step his game up

RMK-NYK

Benchwarmer
I'm sorry truth but you're really way off if you think Isiah has turned this team into anything remotely good. They're young but of the young guys, only Frye can really be a difference maker. Isiah from day one kept talking about that "young and atheletic" slogan, but then why on earth would you get Malike Rose and Maurice Taylor? They don't exactly fit that mold.

Getting rid of him, we can then hopefully open the door to get someone that has a clue about how to run a team and be succesful. Isiah's future, as far as I'm concerned, should be in something that doesn't involve being associated with an NBA team....he creates a mess everywhere he goes.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
RMK-NYK said:
I'm sorry truth but you're really way off if you think Isiah has turned this team into anything remotely good. They're young but of the young guys, only Frye can really be a difference maker. Isiah from day one kept talking about that "young and atheletic" slogan, but then why on earth would you get Malike Rose and Maurice Taylor? They don't exactly fit that mold.

Getting rid of him, we can then hopefully open the door to get someone that has a clue about how to run a team and be succesful. Isiah's future, as far as I'm concerned, should be in something that doesn't involve being associated with an NBA team....he creates a mess everywhere he goes.

to me that team is good team, that team isiah has put together should be a elite team...that team should be running, i dont think no team in da league could run as good as the knicks, cuz wehn marbury hits the bench for a lil rest, here come 2 other guards who could run(JC and nate), also the knicks got a center who could run the court..to me isiah has put on a good team, just the coaches dont know wat to do wit them, i believe they should be a run n gun team, thats wat isiah was aiming for

timnakhla

Rookie
let's not forget that it was Zeke who went and got LB, who he know very well that he's not a run and gun couch!!!!!
I say move Zeke to Scouting and let LB handle both positions. 8)

furious lord

Benchwarmer
When you spend big money on a guy like Larry Brown, you are bringing in a coach to transfrom your team into a contender. That means you must adjust the roster to fit the coach. Brown will not be around for a rebuilding project, unless that is what he was told from the beginning. Since he is playing vets, I don't think that is the case. Believe me, one of three things are gonna happen within the next two years, a couple of p[layers are gonna be moved, or Brown is gonna walk or Isiah will step down.
I think Brown is overcoaching this team, it is not built for the half court and should run more; but the passing and ballhandling must improve. They need another shooter, and a shotblocker.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
timnakhla said:
let's not forget that it was Zeke who went and got LB, who he know very well that he's not a run and gun couch!!!!!
I say move Zeke to Scouting and let LB handle both positions. 8)

I agree, pretty much. I think Isiah has a terrific eye for scouting young talent. He would make an awesome scout! I think LB's style and Isiaha's eye for talent is on opposite ends of the spectrum though. LB likes to play a slow methodical, defensive game while Isiah's guys are run and gun type players (in game and mentality). If there is going to be any success here, I think Isiah should try to get the players Larry wants. He brought Larry here and he knows the type of player he needs for his system, so he should accommodate him. If not, then why did he bring him here? He should of went out and got one of Pheonix's assistant coaches and gave him a shot.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
Isiah leaving is not going to solve the problem.

We did get alot of more talent compared to the garbage players we used to have when Isiah first got here.

If Isiah leaves its only going to prolong the process.

Larry needs to keep doing his job and Isiah needs to keep looking for that Star player to trade for.

I read a few times people talking crap about the malik rose and mo taylor trades......don't forget that if we didn't have those picks we wouldn't have been able to get david lee and traded for Eddie Curry.

Its not the coach, its not isiah, these players just can't play any D or if they do decide to play some its not consistent enough. Scoring is not the problem.

Starks

Starter
Still, Thomas better make some moves to save his ass. No matter what ANYTHING ANYBODY says on this board, this team is not an NBA level team. These guys probably would lget embarrassed by the NY Islanders if they played against us. This roster is a failure, and by saying that Nate Frye Lee are our backup plan for the future, then that is pathetic as well. It just is, so don't fall into all the PR crap on the Knicks website...this franchise has been slaughetered

RMK-NYK

Benchwarmer
NO WAY is this an elite team...this is far from an elite team. Going into the season, with Curry I thought they could at least be competitive but elite? Get real.

You guys say this team should run-n-gun? First of all....let me say that neither JCraw or Nate Robinson could run a team if their lives depended on it. Both (especially Robinson) fall in the ball hog PG category and neither is even that consistent a shooter to be considered reliable in that dept. The only real PG on this team is Marbury, and even he is more of a scorer than a passer. Curry is not exactly a "run-n-gun" center...occasionally he'll run the floor and get a dunk but that's it. They have no shot blockers (which is key to a running team) and they can't play defense worth crap...and you wanna call this team elite? Isiah put together a pathetic roster....and with no first round pick next year, and with the fact it'll be yrs before we get under the cap, I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Isiah did the impossible and took a bad situation and made it worse. If you want more proof read the sports guy's column from 2 wks ago on ESPN.com where he lays it all out there.

Can Brown coach better? Yeah for sure....but even if he did, this team would still be no better than an 8 seed in the playoffs at best. Isiah MUST GO and we need to bring in someone with a good track record who knows how to build a team. For year's this team has simply been throwing money at situation....meanwhile Detroit and San Antonio have half the salary and a team that's 100x better. How? Dumar and Popovich know how to run a team

Trin_Starr

Starter
dasilva1079 said:
Isiah leaving is not going to solve the problem.

We did get alot of more talent compared to the garbage players we used to have when Isiah first got here.

If Isiah leaves its only going to prolong the process.

Larry needs to keep doing his job and Isiah needs to keep looking for that Star player to trade for.

I read a few times people talking crap about the malik rose and mo taylor trades......don't forget that if we didn't have those picks we wouldn't have been able to get david lee and traded for Eddie Curry.

Its not the coach, its not isiah, these players just can't play any D or if they do decide to play some its not consistent enough. Scoring is not the problem.

My words exactly!
great post

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Isiah Thomas is not the problem. Thomas is credited with bringing Lary Brown to the NY so how can he be the reason for our loses. I think those that think he should go are ether extreemly young and uninformed or put too much stock in the NY Post. The Post is in the business of selling papers. Bad news is the best news for them. Also if you can think back to your champion Allan Houston and is over paid contract, you'd then know the real reason for our curse. The Houston deal was the mother of all f&*(ups. Just a brief history lesson for you guys. I dont think Thomas's job is really on the line. The Dolians know that NY is rebuilding. You guys say keep the young guys but young players notoriously do not play defence. Can't have it both ways. We do need to make trades but not for Portland pussys. Jalen Rose may be a step in the right direction although the trade will not really help our cap situation.

RMK-NYK

Benchwarmer
donchris said:
Isiah Thomas is not the problem. Thomas is credited with bringing Lary Brown to the NY so how can he be the reason for our loses. I think those that think he should go are ether extreemly young and uninformed or put too much stock in the NY Post. The Post is in the business of selling papers. Bad news is the best news for them. Also if you can think back to your champion Allan Houston and is over paid contract, you'd then know the real reason for our curse. The Houston deal was the mother of all f&*(ups. Just a brief history lesson for you guys. I dont think Thomas's job is really on the line. The Dolians know that NY is rebuilding. You guys say keep the young guys but young players notoriously do not play defence. Can't have it both ways. We do need to make trades but not for Portland pussys. Jalen Rose may be a step in the right direction although the trade will not really help our cap situation.

Young and uninformed? Draft picks aside (that's a scouting issue), why don't you take a look at Isiah's track record and tell me exactly what Isiah has done that's shown he's a competent GM? He's made some awful signings and some awful trades that lead to us losing a number of improtant draft picks. I don't even understand the purpose of aqcuiring Rose...the draft pick is one consolation, but otherwise we've also acquired yet another bloated contract and we're really not that much better.

furious lord

Benchwarmer
The problem with the trades and free agents that Isiah has made is that most of the players he has brought in are "combo" players. Crawford-is he a pg or a SG? Nate Robinson-PG body, plays like SG, same thing with Steph, how do we use Lee, is Frye a center or power forward. Because Brown came relatiovely late during the summer, it has taken the whole year to find out how to use these guys, reeducate them on how to play the game. I don't think that Thomas has done that bad a job, when he got here we had bad players with terrible contracts that no one thought we would be able to move. He has traded them for guys who are talented but undisciplined, and we need Brown to make it a better team. Nobody on this board could say this was going to be a 14 and 31 team going into the season. We have the talent, we just need more leadership. and a couple of more pieces.
PS-Mitch Lawrence, the writer in the Daily News is an ass, he doesn't even watch the games....

RMK-NYK

Benchwarmer
This is professional basketball. Crawford was signed to a huge deal and brought here to be some kind of star SG...but instead he's another example of Isiah's idiotic spending. The Bulls were more than thrilled to let him go.

If you think that Isiah has not done a bad job, then you're denying the facts and wearing rose colored glasses. Simply moving players doesn't mean he did a good job...he's actually added payroll and made the team worse...how can that be a good thing? He put together a team this year that has no real PG...no SF....and the team has the highest payroll in the league, yet the worst record. How is that good?? Do you really see a bright future with this team? And when any FA is available, we will never be able to sign them since Isiah would rather bring in a mediocre player with a huge contract and thus remove any kind of cap flexibility.

Mitch Lawrence put it real well....and he's not the only one saying these things.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
RMK-NYK said:
This is professional basketball. Crawford was signed to a huge deal and brought here to be some kind of star SG...but instead he's another example of Isiah's idiotic spending. The Bulls were more than thrilled to let him go.

If you think that Isiah has not done a bad job, then you're denying the facts and wearing rose colored glasses. Simply moving players doesn't mean he did a good job...he's actually added payroll and made the team worse...how can that be a good thing? He put together a team this year that has no real PG...no SF....and the team has the highest payroll in the league, yet the worst record. How is that good?? Do you really see a bright future with this team? And when any FA is available, we will never be able to sign them since Isiah would rather bring in a mediocre player with a huge contract and thus remove any kind of cap flexibility.

Mitch Lawrence put it real well....and he's not the only one saying these things.

Listen, Isiah inherited a team that was in cap hell. He also inherited players that were mediocre at best. Thomas is doing the best he can with what he was given. He traded garbage players and got back some youth, draft picks and yes, some garbage players. He has to constantly turn over the roster to hope that he hits some magic combo that works. What exactly should Isiah have done differently? I think trading VanHorn was not a good move because he was actually clicking with Marbury. I agreed that Kurt needed to be moved but getting QR for him wasn’t smart because it wasn’t what the Knicks needed! I also think he gave into Marbury way too much as well! I wasn't a fan of the Malik trade and the Taylor trade but I understand that he took on money to get draft picks. Also, Jalen can be trade bait next season as well. So, if Jalen somehow contributes this year and allows us to maybe make an off season move using his contract, then Isiah did alright with this trade. The fact is, the only other option that Isiah had was to do nothing and sit on the players he inherited and let their contracts run out. So we (the fans) would sit and watch years of horrendous basketball…At these ticket prices??? I highly doubt it! He brought Marbury in, Larry Brown in and made some good drafts!