[Daily News] Isiah's Taking Larry's Order

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Isiah Thomas upgraded the roster and added a Hall of Fame coach to the bench, and somehow the Knicks are getting worse by the day.

And since Larry Brown isn't going anywhere and doesn't like the team he inherited, Thomas is committed to changing the players and, according to Brown, Thomas is asking for his input. Brown revealed that Thomas, the Knicks president, told him yesterday to come up with a shopping list of players he wants.

"I spoke to him today," Brown said before the Knicks lost, 96-83, to the Nets at the Meadowlands. "He wanted me to write down what kind of make-up of our team we would like. What kind of guards, forwards, centers.

"I told him I evaluate it every day with my staff (and that) I would be happy to do that. We both want to see us win, and not in the short range either."

The request from Thomas comes the day after former Knick Antonio Davis used words like "circus" and "a mess" when describing the state of the Knicks. Davis, whose last two weeks in a Knicks uniform were certainly circus-like, also said Brown and Thomas need to get on the same page. Davis was traded to Toronto last Friday for Jalen Rose.

"He was giving an opinion, maybe saying Isiah and Larry have different opinions," said Brown, who was Davis' lone supporter in the organization. "I don't know if that's derogatory. I'm telling you that we're on the same page. We're trying to win and we're trying to figure this out. He didn't tell me it was going to be easy when I got the job. And I'm finding that out."

Brown admitted he hasn't done his best coaching job. He has used 29 different starting lineups and has alienated most of the locker room by publicly criticizing individual players. If anyone other than Brown were off to a 14-34 start in New York, he would have probably been fired. Ten years ago, the Knicks fired Don Nelson in his first season with a 34-25 record.

According to a source, Thomas is willing to trade any player Brown deems undesirable, rookies included.

"Isiah wants to make this work and it is not working right now," said a person close to Thomas. "He's not going to fight with Larry. He'll get the players that Larry wants."

Thomas has ongoing conversations with several teams, including the Denver Nuggets, who are looking to trade ex-Net forward Kenyon Martin. The Nuggets want rookie Channing Frye included in the deal. Thomas would trade Frye, but he would insist on getting another player, possibly 6-11 center-forward Nene, in return.

Full Story

portega1968

El Cacique
Do we have any guarantee Nene will come back as good as before (by the way, pure potential 'cause he hasn't done anything yet in this league)? Of course not... then why the hell would anybody want to take that risk and let go of an excellent prospect like Frye. I'm certain the guy won't even be ready by the start of next season. Then, we have Kenyon's knees and back to think about.

If we're talking about KG, Pierce or Rashard Lewis coming to NY, then I would consider trading our rookies. But not for players with huge questions marks hanging over them.

I do like Earl Watson, and I'm pretty sure Denver will let him go for peanuts. If it wasn't for the belief that the Knicks can be suckered into a deal, we probably would've gotten him by now. But teams don't want to be the one who helped NY for less than they could've gotten.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Isiah has made it clear he will not trade for Kenyon and his large contract.
Channing Frye to this point is untouchable despite rumors otherwise. he will not give him up for peanuts.

this is a sad sad day though. i dont want to read stuff like this. Dikembe Mutumbo, Theo Ratliff, George Lynch, Eric Snow and Earl Watson here we come. whooo goo knicks! :(

RMK-NYK

Benchwarmer
NYKnicks15 said:
Isiah has made it clear he will not trade for Kenyon and his large contract.
Channing Frye to this point is untouchable despite rumors otherwise. he will not give him up for peanuts.

this is a sad sad day though. i dont want to read stuff like this. Dikembe Mutumbo, Theo Ratliff, George Lynch, Eric Snow and Earl Watson here we come. whooo goo knicks! :(

It's good that at least Isiah is admitting he's somewhat clueless and is trying to get on the same page with Larry. The idea thought that he's taking "orders" from him is alarming. It's well known that LB has a tendency to like every player on the league except for the 12-15 that are on his roster. Frye should definitely be an untouchable. I like Lee as well, although I think he can be replaced. Robinson should definitely be trade bait...he's got good energy and I guess he's one of those guys that plays with a lot of heart, but he's nothing more than a nice role player. If we can get something good for him, I'd do it. Same goes for anyone else on the roster. Ariza was all the rage last year, but it's clear he doesn't fit into LB's plans.

I just don't want this team to become a team of 30 somethings past their prime and I hope that someone with a clue can have some veto power over LB if he starts trying to coerce Isiah into those kind of moves.