Offseason Thread

NYKnicks15

Starter
I know it's early (4 months before) but for us the future is all we have to look forward to. I'm actually excited to see how Francis plays here (not excited about the deal but just the entertainment value)..back on topic..the offseason is going to be huge.

we have two draft picks (both first rounders DEN/SA). Two expiring contracts, Taylor (9mill) & Rose (15mill). Allans contract will be off the books (thanks to his retirement). Attractive young guys. "star players" in JC, Q, and Francis. WHAT SHOULD WE DO??

There are little rumbilings around the league that we mite shoot for a backup guard with the Mid Level Exception (MLE) Both are NY natives..Mike "the amityville scorer" James and Speedy "king of queens" Claxton.

I will stick to my guns and say we will get KG. A lot of teams will make offers but ppl close to Isiah say he has already compiled a general assumption of what package he will offer for KG in the offseason. and love Isiah or hate him (im in the middle lol) Isiah has piled up (by accident or on purpose) an assortment of catchy players...meaning what ever Minny wants..we have. Expiring contracts. Draft picks. a wide arrangement of talent that contracts can equal KG's in different combos.

im gonna stick to that. BUT there are also other options...Harrington (who i think would rather sign with playoff hopefuls and the hawks want to keep). Miles. even Jermaine O'Neal.

LOGICALLY (wise for both teams & fits salary cap) what moves would you make if you were Isiah in the offseason???

portega1968

El Cacique
First Trade:

Seattle
Out - Ray Allen
Out - Rashard Lewis
In - Wally Sczcerbiak
In - Mo Taylor (cap relief)
In - Nate Robinson
NY Picks

Boston
Out - Paul Pierce
Out - Wally Sczcerbiak
In - Ray Allen
In - Steve Francis

NY
Out - Steve Francis
Out - David Lee
Out - Nate Robinson
Out - Mo Taylor
picks
In - Rashard Lewis
In - Paul Pierce

Second Trade:
Minnesota and New York
KG and Marko Jaric for Channing Frye, Jamal Crawford, Jalen Rose (cap relief) and David Lee

What ya'll think?

Pedro De Pacas

Benchwarmer
Portega for GM !!! :)

While that Minny-trade seems possible, I'm not sure if the Sonics are trying to unload both Allen and Lewis; but who knows, if they're not gettin' a new arena, they might move, so they have to unload big contracts.
But i would hate to part with each of our rooks :?

NYKnicks15

Starter
seems good but all that does is bring big names. as much as id like it i dont think i would as well. KG im down for (but i dont think two sophs will be included). you are also giving up 7 quality players for 3. thats insane. wed have a team with 6-7 players on it haha. nice try tho.

i say we limit our moves. to about 3.

one for KG. they need bigs thats the only thing we can supply. but i say we give them Jamal Crawford (7.2), Jalen Rose (17), Maurice Taylor (9.7) & with two draft picks (or one and D-Lee) for KG & Marco Jaric.

KG&Jaric FOR JC,JRose,Taylor,2picks&/or D-Lee

our second move. we trade Quentin Richardson to play beside Joe Johnson in Atlanta in a sign and trade for Al Harrington. either we include one of the picks we have or include D-Lee (whatever we dont use above)

Q&apick/or D-Lee

then you sign Mike James who wants to be here and has played for Larry for the MLE which he said hell take (and no he wont get a max contract elsewhere unless its ATL)

C Eddy Curry/Jerome James/Jackie Butler
F Kevin Garnett/Channing Frye, Malik Rose
F Al Harrington/Qyntel Woods
G Stephon Marbury/Nate Robinson
G Steve Francis/Mike James/Marco Jaric

thats what id do...

btw Sonics wont have to move if they do until 2010.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
Everyone and their mother would love a trade for KG for any combination of players and picks except Channing Frye, Eddy Curry & Stephon Marbury. It's just a matter of time to see whether or not we can get it done.

If we do try to get Harrington...let's be real, Atlanta would absolutely, positively NOT do it for QRich. The issue they currently have is they already have too many players that play the SG/SF position. Throwing in QRich only compounds the problem. The whole reason they are even considering letting Harrington go is so they can make more playing time for their young guys (Josh Childress, Josh Smith and let's not forget about their #2 overall pick Mike Williams). They will most definitely go after one of our 2 Star PG's.

NYKnicks15

Starter
thats your opinion. but i think they need to get something for him. and i dont think they have a lot of SG/SF i think they have a lot of SF/PF. 6'9's. Josh Childress, Josh Smith. and yes lets not forget MARVIN Williams. i guess he's already been forgotten ey? haha

i think they'd like Q&JJ run the court like they successfully did in PHX. im pretty sure JJ has been doing pretty damn good at PG as well. Joe is gettin what 17&4&6 assists??

and actually THEY WANT HARRINGTON to stay. he doesnt want to. he wants to be a free agent and pursue the market or find a team to do a sign and trade. so if they can theyll take the sign and trade and GET SOMETHING over nothing and losing him to Free Agency.

ny3nyk

Rotation player
this doesnt exactly have to be an offseason move, but, delk has been released and we may want to sign him, a second option to trying to get mike james this summer

Pedro De Pacas

Benchwarmer
I think it depends on what is going to happen with the coaching position. If LB is going to stay, Zeke probably will try to trade players like Marbury, Francis, Robinson, Crawford and/or Jalen Rose because they all don't fit.
Personally, I have some smaller trades/moves in mind like getting Harrington from the hawks and signing players like Mike James or Keith Bogans from free-agency

Though I am not happy with the situation, I think that Larry leaves before Isiah does. Was last week's trip to the hospital and heart concerns (though it was only indegestion) a sign of things to come? Larry going to another team would cause a huge backlash from fans, reporters, players and the like but Larry retiring because of a heart condition following the advice of a doctor... well that would be his ticket, his saving grace. Food for thought.

Random Observations...

I keep seeing people proposing trades to grt KG and I think that we could very well get him but not without giving up Francis or Marbury.

I keep seeing people post championship caliber team formulas with Eddy Curry's name all over them. If you think Curry will ever be part of a winning team (a starter and real contributor) then you have been eating retart sandwiches again!!! You people that keep buying into the Curry/Shaq comparison need to put the crack pipe down. Shaq came into the league a dominant defender... a dominant rebounder... a guy with confidence and swagger. Those things will never develop in Curry... he will always be a great low post scorer but the bone-headed fouls, the lack of hustle, lack of confidence and missing-in-action defense are here to stay folks... that is the real Eddy Curry. Chicago knew it... most people that know basketball know it... it is time for you to know it too.

I keep seeing people throw Q in every deal out there but I am amazed because he is one of the few guys that you can say leaves everything on the court each night. His defense is there, his offense is coming around, he plays with passion and hustle... we need more of that, not less of it.

I believe Larry can save the Knicks but only with Larry-type players... and we do not have those right now so for that to happen, the players must change. We CANNOT win with Larry and the players we have right now.

I also believe that we are not going to win a championship with the players we have now but that we would be doing a lot better with THESE players if we had a different coach that adapted his philosophy to the strengths and weaknesses of our team rather than trying to make a circle fit into a square.

I believe that Isiah gets things done... good or bad, he does not sit idly by watching problems. Can we win with him???? I think so but maybe not with Larry as the coach because they just don't seem to be on the same page (hopefully that will change this summer with a few trades or one of them leaving).

I cannot stand James Dolan... he's a moron with a low basketball IQ and that hurts us because he goes along with whatever anyone tells him... he should set the tempo and let it all roll down from there... through the GM, the coach, the players and the Garden (fans).

I think all of you guys playing with the ESPN trade thingy are taking yourself and your trades too seriously. That is as much a reality as my owning my fantasy team. Too many of you are trying to bring in your favorite players, not players that will help what he have in place alredy.

I love the Knick Chicks (Knick City Dancers)!!! No need to trade any of them and our pride can start there!!!

Well, those are my thoughts... over and out.

Allen

Benchwarmer
You guys have more confidence in Isiah Thomas than I do. It will take the jaws of life to pry Kevin Garnett from Minn.
I'm not holding out much hope for us to get KG.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i hope minnesota go on a 15 game losing streak to end the season, that would really get KG mad and make team management go another direction wit KG

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I could be wrong about this but I dont think it will be that hard for KG to leave Minny. I dont ever see KG openly speaking to the media about leaving and my opinion is that he's tired of losing and wants out. Just my opinion based on the Cassel trade for starters. Back on topic. You broke this whole thing down very well 15. I dont know how possible it is for us to get KG but I do think he will not be with the T wolves next year. Still if we can't get KG we can get Al Harrington. We are one or two players away from competing in the east. I think Curry has finally got the message that he must step up as a dominate force in order for us to win.

As far as back up guards, we're loaded with guards! I say expect to see several players out for KG. Or Crawford and or Q.Rich in a package for Al Harrington. Ether way, with a healthy Marbury and Curry we will be better next year.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
New Uni's would be great but with all NY franchises, we have always stayed with the classics, making only minor alterations.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Everyone thinks KG is the answer to saving the Knicks. Also, it seems that everyone is willing to trade away the farm (Frye) for him. Ok, let's look at this (I want to preface this by saying I love KG):
KG- He hasn't won anything since coming into the NBA. As great as he is he chokes when the big shot is needed. I've seen him time after time miss the big free throws or the big 10 foot jumper when needed. To me, if you have KG you need another player that can step up when needed and take the stress of him. He needs a finisher because KG is not! Also, he has been in the league for 10 years and that kind of mileage really takes it's toll on a body. He is probably a season or 2 away from starting to break down and start his decline years.
Frye- Every GM wants Frye when speaking to the Knicks about trades because almost every GM knows that Frye will be a special player. He will probably loose the rookie of the year award to Chris Paul, but he still is a strong candidate. Also, he is a big man and that is more valuable than a guard in this league so even if Paul wins the award, Frye will be the more attractive player in the NBA over time. Frye looks like he is going to have a strong offensive game and he needs to develop a few more moves to the basket and a more consistent defensive game. But, I think he could be a top player in the NBA soon. I think the trick for the Knicks is: should they keep Frye and wait to see if he develops into a star, because the downside is he might not live up to the promise, or do they trade him now for a proven player like KG. I think that decision will hinge on what other players they can get, like a Harrington. If they can acquire other pieces with out trading Frye, then I think you keep him and develop him.

portega1968

El Cacique
Joe Johnson would be the ideal guard in New York. But I'm obviously daydreaming on that one.

I'd rather go after Rashard Lewis than Al Harrington... he is way better and his stats prove it. I know Al is a New Yorker, but time will prove Lewis is a better all-around baller.

And I insist, let's also get Paul Pierce, who can play the two or three, rebounds, get steals and defends very good.

Let's keep Q... his shot is coming around and we need his defense. He would be an excellent backup swingman.

Let's ship Stephon out and keep Francis. I love you Marbs, but I'd rather go with Stevie's hops and boards.

Our offseason free agent priority has to be Mike James. Besides the fact he's a New Yorker, he's the type of point guard we can really use to backup and/or play alongside Stevie.

If we can't get a monster power forward (is Boozer available?), I say we keep Channing and let Malik back him up.

Starting 5:
PG - Francis
SG - Pierce
SF - Lewis
PF - Frye
C - Curry (sorry taylorjohna, get used to him)

backups:
Mike James
Q-Rich
Lee
Malik
Butler

This would improve our greatest weakness, which is defending opposing guards.

Everyone else should be shipped out!!!

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
portega1968 said:
I'd rather go after Rashard Lewis than Al Harrington... he is way better and his stats prove it. I know Al is a New Yorker, but time will prove Lewis is a better all-around baller.

And I insist, let's also get Paul Pierce, who can play the two or three, rebounds, get steals and defends very good.

Let's keep Q... his shot is coming around and we need his defense. He would be an excellent backup swingman

I do not see Lewis being a Brown type player. I think Brown's system would hurt Lewis's game! I love Lewis and would be thrilled to have him on the team but I don't see it happening, especially with out giving up Frye in the deal. As far as pierce in concerned. I have always been an advocate of getting him. The problem is Boston will want Frye as well. You see this is the problem the Knicks have, to get any quality player you will have to give up Frye. The Knicks either have to commit to developing Frye or package him in a deak to trade for KG. You will NOT get Lewis or Pierce with out Frye! QR should be traded but won't since no one wants his contract. So, if his role is a bench player, I'm fine with that.

Starks

Starter
Is it true that the Knicks have talked about waiving Stephon?? I think the chances of that are about 0.01% since Thomas is in love with him.

portega1968

El Cacique
The NYPost (owned by Newscorp, who also has a minority stake in the Knicks) said a couple of days ago that waiving Steph is a possibility on the table.

However, I believe Atlanta would be interested in Steph given the fact he was very popular down there when he played college ball at GTech and would probably be a nice mate with Joe Johnson. I wouldn't be surprised if Steph is included in a deal moving Al Harrington. Hopefully, Harrington is sent to Seattle or Boston, giving us Pierce or Lewis. At least that is what I'd prefer.

This would boil down to who would you want to keep... Steve Francis or Steph. I'm willing to bet Larry will lobby for Francis, convincing Isiah to give up on Steph.