Brown Buries Stephon

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Who says the Knicks can't put up a fight? In the volley of barbs that has lasted all season but has gathered new momentum in recent days, Larry Brown yesterday sent an overhead smash Stephon Marbury's way, telling his point guard to stop his pleas for "freedom" on the court and accusing Marbury of undermining the team by placing himself above it.
"We're 17 and 45. You want to say because we don't have freedom that's why we're losing?" Brown said yesterday after a brief practice in Greenburgh and well after Marbury had left the building. "That's fine, you can say that all you want. But the reality is, we foul more than any team in the league, since the fifth week of the season we're the second-worst field-goal percentage defensive team in the league, we turn the ball over more than any team in the league, we're close to the fewest blocked shots of any team in the league.

http://www.knicksonline.com/teaser/4781/brown-buries-stephon.html

Trin_Starr

Starter
Larry Brown is such a friggin Liar....read the article in the papers today where he says he and AI never had any on court problems then read the excerpts from different news sources on their on court problems during the time they were at Philly....

Copied from Shammgod @ realgm.com

The least likely scenario is they learn to work together and forge a productive relationship the way Brown and Allen Iverson did in Philadelphia. Brown seemed offended that Marbury had compared his situation to Iverson's on Monday.

"He came to every game trying to win as hard as he possibly could," said Brown, who coached Iverson from 1997-2003. "He played hurt, broken down. He competed every single night. ... And they all knew that every single night he tried to win the game. Right? MVP of the League, MVP of the All-Star Game. He took us to the Finals with three starters out. He competed every single minute of every single game. And I think he got better."

Of course, Brown and Iverson had their share of public spats as well over Iverson's practice habits.

"Never had a problem with Allen on the court," Brown said. "Not on the court. On the court, he tried to win every game."

from cnn/si
Quote:
Iverson has come under fire recently for outwardly shunning coach Larry Brown, even refusing to play the entire second half of a game.

katu 2
Quote:
Brown had a contentious relationship with Allen Iverson, but the two worked together despite several disputes.

At one point, the All-Star guard nearly was traded to Detroit. A few times, Brown came close to leaving, and once had to be talked out of quitting by Croce and general manager Billy King.

si
Quote:
The biggest issue, however, is not the way Allen Iverson dribbles the ball, but how he disposes of it. He is a point guard with a shooting guard’s mentality, if not the skills. "He’s taking jump shots, and he’s not a jump shooter," says his coach Larry Brown. "When was the last time you saw him take a pick-and-roll and get to the rim?"
"If you come down and jack up a bad shot and nobody else touches the ball, what good have you done?" Brown told Iverson earlier this year. "Those four guys, they don’t want to come back down on defense. They don’t really want to pick up your guy on the switch, set you a good screen next time. It gets old for them real fast."

ai3net
Quote:
“I have this problem with Allen for five years now. I like his winner attitude and that he’s never giving up. But he wants to run some things like he wants it to run. This situation must change. Immediately!!!"
The disappointing 2001-2002 season and the 76ers keep up with the amazing season before. Larry Brown was also disappointed about Allen’s elbow surgery on the beginning of the training camp. After the debacle against the Celtics, Brown wanted to trade Iverson again. He almost offered Iverson to every team in the NBA, but he didn’t find any exchange partner for him.

detroit free press
Quote:
A narcissist and revisionist like Larry Brown always enjoys an opportunity to weave his autobiography yet again, during another one of his rebirths. All a sportswriter is left to do is admire and pay homage to a man who has achieved so much in basketball, yet never coached an NBA championship team. Besides, Larry Brown would never lie to promote his Hall of Fame credentials or hide some of the more despicable aspects of his personality, right?

So, Larry Brown complained, as he loved to do in Philadelphia, about Allen Iverson and the people who supported him during many years of varying success. In the mind of Larry Brown, the team, not the coach, set double standards for rules during practice; Allen Iverson was an "****" who simply did not want to learn or be led, which left the coach no choice but to leave because he could not coach a team of "****" any longer.

The only problem with the tale-of-the-oppressed Larry Brown is that it is all fiction. The team was a product of the coach's own making: despite his denials, he ran the team, coached its players, and had the final say on personnel decisions; he could decide which **** he wanted and which **** he did not want. When Larry Brown bemoaned the fact that he "never knew what his role was," Pat Croce, former Sixers President, responded on 610 WIP's Morning Show with the following: "That man is so full of feces that it makes you nauseous. Everyone had to laugh at that. I couldn't get him to Philadelphia unless I also gave him the title of 'grand pooh-bah.' He was vice president of basketball. He made all the decisions . . . How can he even say [that he didn't have final say]? He had to say that tongue in cheek. He had to be kidding. Every decision was ultimately his decision. Yes, he ran things through Billy. Yes, he would ask [director of player personnel] Tony DiLeo. He had the ultimate decision...on every single call. The only thing that I ever countered him on, the only one, is that I never wanted Derrick Coleman back." [as quoted by Phil Jasner of the Philadelphia Daily News].

Of course, Mr. Brown does slip and tell the truth from time to time, even when it might be a bit incriminating. When he said that he was tired of going to practice to coach the Sixers, Pat Croce collaborates this: "He leaves, and not only leaves, but the next day he goes to New York and interviews with Houston, and then he goes into Detroit. That bothers me. And then he disses Allen Iverson when he's at the dais, pretending he's joking, saying, 'But, oh, I never missed practice.' Well, that's bull, because I know he missed practice, 'cause I had to call him at home to get him to work. He missed practice more than once. I think he's divorced himself from Philadelphia. It bothers me. That bothers me. I don't think he should have left, to be honest with you."

In a business where everyone is admittedly fighting for their own best interest, Larry Brown takes it another step towards the absurd. When Larry Brown wanted to leave Philadelphia, his bosses took the high road and let him walk without even seeking compensation from his next employer while he was under contract, thus making it easier for him to find a new job. In return, noting but lies and distortion and a little self-aggrandizement on the part of the coach. Then again, the city that had given him a free ride for some many years could not expect any less from Larry Brown.

It is time to celebrate the death of Mr. Brown's integrity

bmac

Quote:
Brown preaches loyalty, yet he is known for jumping ship. He preaches the "right way," yet he allowed Allen Iverson to run the show single-handedly in Philly. He criticizes immature players, yet unprofessionally casts blame on everyone other than himself when things do not go according to plan.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Yup no on court problems with AI???
Yeah right - does everyone remember what he said when he left Philly for Detroit?

Allen Iverson was an "****" who simply did not want to learn or be led, which left the coach no choice but to leave because he could not coach a team of "****" any longer.

Seems like Larry has a lot of issues with AI and the whole team!!

How can anyone believe the shit that comes out of his mouth anymore??

nba_fan

Rookie
ESPN article about Brown vrs Starbury

Marbury: 'It's personal now'
posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006
filed under: NBA, New York Knicks, Stephon Marbury

The Larry Brown vs. Stephon Marbury feud escalated this morning at the Knicks' shootaround, the hate-hate relationship sinking to new depths of discord.

First, Marbury stood before reporters, called Brown insecure and vowed he'd keep striking back at Brown whenever he feels he's been publicly criticized.

Next, Brown castigated Marbury for having a selfish agenda and deflecting blame.

"I think it's personal now," Marbury said. "I don't think it's about basketball anymore. Now it's to the point where he's putting his 30-year career against my 10-year career. You know, coach is a great coach is what everyone says. We're supposed to be better than what we are. Did it happen now? No."

Brown was a portrait of disgust one day after asking people to compare his track record vs. his point guard's. Criticizing Marbury's "agenda," Brown also insinuated that Marbury hadn't accepted his share of the criticism for the Knicks having the NBA's worst record despite its highest payroll.

"So, you're the best guard in the league and the team is 17-45, yeah, it's the coach's fault," Brown said.

This was the fifth straight day of the two adversaries bickering at each other, and Wednesday's developments left the rest of the team staring in disbelief as first Marbury, then Brown, went through the ritual of airing their gripes through the team's beat writers.

"You've got to wonder whether both these guys own newspaper stocks," quipped Howard Beck of the Times.

A few more quotes from Marbury's diatribe and Brown's retort:

From Marbury:

"If coach is comparing his career to my career, he's got like a 20-year edge on me. To me that sounds like a lot of insecurity is going on. … He's speaking on things he's done, and I think people in New York want to know what he's going to do, you know, as far as us winning. What happened in the past is the past. I think New Yorkers can relate [to] what's going to happen now. We live more in the present."

On whether Brown had crossed the line by comparing his own track record of improving the teams he has coached to Marbury's history of failing to make better any of the teams he's been traded to:

"He always crosses the line. That's not nothing new. Certain coaches deal with certain things certain ways, and he handles his things through the media as opposed to sitting down and talking with people. And still, if you sit down and you talk with coach, it's liable to get back to everybody, so you're really not safe there either."

On whether he wants to play for Brown:

"I want to play basketball in New York. I love New York, and I believe New York loves me. … I'm at the point where I just want to win, and I want to play in New York more than anything in this world. But if that's not happening next year, I can't cry about it. I've been in this situation before and I understand, I know it's a business."

On whether Isiah Thomas should step in and try to resolve the feud:

"We don't have to have another grown man come and mediate two grown men. What's that about? He's the boss, but if there's a problem, come to me like a man. I don't have no problem. I'm comfortable with myself. I know who I am as a person."

On their future:

"I can coexist. I can't speak for another person. I'm cool. I'm fine. I can deal with it. But I'm no longer going to allow him to say things about me and I'm not going to say anything back. I mean that's just not going to happen. That's not going to happen. I allowed him to drag me the first three or four months in the paper, and I didn't say one word. I just sat back and just took it. But I'm not taking it no more. If something's going to be said, I'm going to defend myself. My mother taught me that: Somebody hits you, you hit them back."

On what the solution might be:

"I don't know. If I was a chemistry teacher, I'd probably have an answer, but I don't. … I don't need no new start. My start is right here in New York unless they say otherwise."

A few snippets from Brown:

Upon being informed that Marbury planned to continue answering perceived slights through the media:

"That's great, that's great. Again, I'm the coach of a basketball team, and the only thing that matters to me is that we play the right way, share the ball, try to guard and care about our teammates. I'm going to focus on that. I'm not going to focus on things that have nothing to do with being a good teammate. I've been coaching the same way my whole life. Things that really matter, I've said over and over and over again. It's amazing to me. I've never had a problem getting people to understand that before, and it's mind boggling to me after we win two games that it becomes an issue. So I want to focus on guys that are trying to do the right things to help our team win, and that's what I'm going to do."

Ever deal with anything like this before?

"Never. Never."

Does it raise doubts in Brown's mind about whether he and Marbury are a good pairing going forward?

"Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. No coach, no coach, would enjoy this situation. Because every coach that coaches this sport, it's about team. And when you hear players talk about team, you get real excited. When you don't hear players talk about team, it's not a lot of fun."

Would he walk away in frustration?

"No, no. No, no."

Is the best solution to trade Marbury over the summer?

"I'm not even thinking about that. I'm just trying to coach our team and make guys better. I want guys that care about the team that want to win games that understand what our problems are and try to correct them."

Is Marbury one of those guys?

"Well, we'll see. We're 17-45, and I'll take full responsibility for us winning 17 games and losing 45. So, you're the best guard in the league and the team is 17-45, yeah, it's the coach's fault.

"I don't know why you play a team sport and not be concerned about making your teammates better and helping your team win games. That's the only thing that really matters, and if you're the best player, surely you're going to have some effect on the game's outcome. And I've said this from day one, I've never given anybody in my career more free rein. In my career. And I went to the conference finals with Haywoode Workman as the point guard. Eric Snow was the fourth-string point guard in Seattle, and we went to the NBA Finals [with Snow in Philadelphia].

"I've been around guys, and every good team, it's all about team, and that's what we're going to try and get. You want to come and join that? That's fine. That's the only message that needs to be sent. You want to be part of the team and make your teammates better, you want to care about the right things and playing the right way, this is a pretty good place to be. You don't have that on your agenda, then this is probably a bad place to be."

ny3nyk

Rotation player
honestly, im beginning to think larry is to take most of the blame, not all of it. some of it goes to isiah, the guy who dug a 30 ft 130 million dollar hole and threw our roster in, and has no consistancy and plan in trades and signings. some of it goes to players, no good defensive stoppers, exept maybe q (!), nobody to just take games over and close them out, and turning the ball over too many times. some blame goes to larry, his critique of the team, not giving enough "freedom" to run the ball as steph said, and with no set rotation of players. what can we expect of next year? i'd say

a) isiah thomas trades half the team to get same or worse players and signs some useless players
b) thomas gets fired

DaGreek34

Benchwarmer
The team struggles cause GOD wanna-be, Larry Brown changes lineups at a rediculous pace and leaves young, hungry players on the bench for games at a time! Has Nate Robinson not looked good since getting more run lately? Hell yeah he has! He is a great spark off the bench! But God, I mean Larry Brown really hates playing young guys! He rather trade them.... for junk....

The roster has a nice mix of players:

Guard with Marbury, Francis, Robinson, Crawford is as solid as they come.

Forwards with Richardson, Rose, Frye, Lee, Rose2, Woods, Taylor is a EXCELLENT MIX of young and veterans

Centers Curry, James, Butler well I dont like this group... LOL

Larry Brown has failed to give this team freedom! I watched games and if a players makes a mistake, he is yanked... In record time...

Micromanager.. let the guys play.... How does he know marbury and francis cant play on the same court together... Too me, two guards with their ball-handling ability would help cut down on the TO's! Also, maybe he should PRACTICE more with Curry in passing out of the post!

David Lee plays like a MAN out on the fast break, why not loosen the reigns and let the second group run!

BUT NOOOOOO.... Larry Brown has done it his way for 30 years and he CAN NOT change... Basketball is mostly about adapting... in a game especially... Larry brown need to loosen the noose on this team...

Just look how he left Detroit... HE WAITED until he could get a sick amount of cash, even though he knew he was going to land a huge contract with the Knicks... Yet he PLAYED the Pistons...

larry brown is a money hungry, medie whore... plain and simple...

I am so sick and tired of seeing his lame azz on the screen... Maybe if he pulled the plug on himself as fast as his players there would be a better product on the court....

As for the people who bash Isiah... He has brought talent... But the GM does not coach....

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
if u saw the hawks game, u'll see wat marbury was talking about when u give PG some freedom to create, not calling a wack play everytime down court...ppl say offense starts wit defense, i believe this team is the opposite because when u having fun on the offensive side, the team gets hyped and are willing to play D>...larry got to give these players some freestyle plays cuz the knicks have players that is hard to stop

DaGreek34

Benchwarmer
I agree bro...

BUT GOD, I mean Larry Brown loves to hear his voice... I hate when he jumps on the sidelines calling plays... Like Marbury said, it is now a personal thing...

But you are right... Everyone says defense wins games... but if you cant score, i dont care how good your defense is..

Brown like you said, needs too loosen is strangle grip on the team and let them run for the rest of the year... See how it works...

He also needs to PLANT the veterans to the bench and give the youngsters more time... I love Lee how he plays... Frye offers a good scoring option... and who gets the MSG more amped that Robinson....

Brown is choking the life out of this team, and then he looks around and say.. IT's NOT ME...

he needs to wake up...

Allen

Benchwarmer
"Everyone says defense wins games... but if you cant score, i dont care how good your defense is.."

I had a good laugh at this statement.
If a player has an off night shooting but you play good defence it would lead to turn-overs which lead to easy transition points. Its a simple concept, defense leads to easy points. If you are shooting 30% its your defense that keeps the other team from scoring and thus gives you a chance to get back into the game and maybe even win.