Isiah is our man!!!

nycefnl

Benchwarmer
I've read many comments from renowned writers all over the country, the quote "experts" in sports society. But the truth remains Larry Brown is a coach that only can have one or no talents on his team. The Olympics proved it! He always has excuses for a lost. He says that the Olympic team had no shooters yet he grounded Paul Pierce to the end of the bench. Since when were Wade, Iverson and Pierce not good shooters? Isiah's tremendous job of rebuilding on the fly and getting young talent before the season and getting praise all around the NBA for his acquisitions have been forgotten by the horrible coaching and managing of Larry Brown. Let's take a look at his NBA career:

"Led the Detroit Pistons to 2004 NBA Championship" only after acquiring Rasheed Wallace were they able to beat the Nets which were the team that they couldn't beat the year before in the playoffs without Larry Brown. The key here is Larry Brown was the catalyst for the title, Rasheed was.

In the 2000-2001 season, led the 76ers to the NBA Finals with one of the top three scorers in the game and best defensive player in the game! They got smashed in the finals because Shaq neutralized Mutumbo and Kobe neutralized Iverson in the 4th quarters.

From 88-89 he lead San Antonio from a 21 win season to a 56 win season and the playoffs. Oh, and let me mention that was David Robinson's first season!

To me he hasn't proven anything yet! If you couldn’t beat Ginoblli with Wade, B. James, Iverson, Duncan, Pierce, Stoudamire, Marion, Odoms and C. Anthony and found an excuse, who can you win with?

RMK-NYK

Benchwarmer
nycefnl said:
Isiah's tremendous job of rebuilding on the fly and getting young talent before the season and getting praise all around the NBA for his acquisitions have been forgotten by the horrible coaching and managing of Larry Brown. Let's take a look at his NBA career:

Some of you people on this board really are something else. Isiah has done a HORRENDOUS job here. What young talent has he really acquired?? Channing Frye is really it. Curry is a possibility as long as he doesn't eat his way out of the league. Robinson is a 5'9" ballhog with a bad attitude, not anyone that's ever going to win you anything. And the jury is still out on Lee as well. The rest of the roster aside from those 4 names is full of aging, overpaid losers with bad attitudes. None of them has ever won a thing and in many cases, they were traded away from good situations because they were thought to be cancers. And mind you...in making all of these supposed "tremendous" moves, Isiah has given the Knicks the highest payroll in the league. You take the Spurs and Pistsons payroll and add them up, and they still don't add up to the Knicks payroll. That's just pure incompetence. In his playing days, they won because of defense and guys that knew their roles and knew how to sacrifice. Now as a GM this dope has assembled the opposite of that in terms of attitude.

Did Brown do an awful job with the Knicks? Did he goof with the Olympic team? Yeah he did...he showed he's pretty overrated as a coach. But your assessment of him is pure comedy. The only thing he's guilty of is that he only knows how to win and play the game one way and he expects his players to conform to that. He doesn't take what he has and try to conform to them. But to discredit the track record this guy has is foolish. He's been a winner everywhere else, he's won a championship in college AND in the NBA.

That Sixers team he had SUCKED...aside from Brown, there's few other coaches that could have taken that team as far. And your assessment of the Pistons...tell me 5 yrs ago, if I gave you a team with Rip Hamilton, Billups, Ben Wallace, Prince, and Rasheed Wallace...would you called that a championship lineup? Brown molded them into winners. And yeah I'd say they're pretty talented too.

Fact of the matter is, Brown was the wrong coach for this team. He shouldn't have been hired and he himself should have known better than to take the job...but I guess when $40mil is dangled in your face you have no choice. Still it was Isiah's idiotic management that caused all this.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
RMK and I are going to be at odds on this subject. I think nycefnl hit it right on the head. His comments were not so much about being an Isiah Tomas fan as they are seing what's really going on with this team. And what exactly Thomas is trying to do. This is clean up time. First Brown, and if Thomas can't bring us to the play off level he will be going next. So this is a move in the right direction.

RMK-NYK

Benchwarmer
Donchris...actually I do agree with your post. I think though that this should just be a total housecleaning. Isiah has been a curse everywhere he's been, and I just want him gone. My fear is this team improves to win 26 games next year and then Isiah further blackmails Dolan into calling this a good season and keeping him around.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
I going to have to side with RMK on this issue. He pretty muched summed it all up with that last statement...

"Fact of the matter is, Brown was the wrong coach for this team. He shouldn't have been hired and he himself should have known better than to take the job...but I guess when $40mil is dangled in your face you have no choice. Still it was Isiah's idiotic management that caused all this."

Let's just hope Isaiah is a better coach than he is a GM, and that the next GM can turn this ship around.

NYKnicks15

Starter
if all goes as suspected. Isiah will take the bench. the knicks will be an uptempo team and we will be successful. because of how good a coach Isiah is??? NO. because if you have the squad we have and let them run. youll automatically win 40+ games. you could put my grandmother as coach and thatd happen. sure some moves will still need to be made but we will win more.

Isiah will remain part GM. but expect Kiki V. to become GM of the New York Knicks.

RMK-NYK

Benchwarmer
40+? That's quite a generous estimate. I guess your grandmother is Red Auerbach or Red Holzman? My best case estimate would be mid 30's. For 40+ they would need a ton of changes to occur and one of them would entail learning how to play defense which these guys simply cannot do. Not to mention they don't have any shot blockers or big time rebounders either.

You can run all you want, but if you can't defend you'll still lose. Sure the Phoenix Suns can't play defense for their lives, but they're that talented (and they have a real leader) offensively that they can make it work by outscoring their opponents.

jffga

Rookie
datruth said:
i really hope so but i know that isiah is going to make the knicks a more uptempo team

Right, Isiah, the Knick's savior. Good lord. Would you by any chance be using the dictionary of antonyms to interpret the word savior ? :wallbash:

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/05/14/100602.php

By the way, how is Isiah Thomas' sexual harassment suit going ? Won't having his dumb ass thrown in jail or getting suspended from the NBA throw a wrinkle in this grand plan to have the head ring leader coach 'the greatest show on earth' next year ?

jffga

Rookie
datruth said:
jffga said:
datruth said:
i really hope so but i know that isiah is going to make the knicks a more uptempo team

Right, Isiah, the Knick's savior. Good lord. Would you by any chance be using the dictionary of antonyms to interpret the word savior ? :wallbash:

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/05/14/100602.php

aww he got jokes, well theres only way to prove it, wait till next season

Knick fans have nothing to worry about. Next year will be the last and deciding factor. Isiah will finally be in a position to have his ass properly run out of town, even faster than his laywers will be able to write the check to make the sexual harrassment suit go away. After next season, which I stongly doubt he will make it anywhere near that far, Thomas will be be FIRED or be FORCED to RESIGN. Bring it on !

20 is a CROOK

Benchwarmer
Isiah Thomas sucks, i do not understand how this guy has screwed up so much and is still allowed to keep his job. The NBA should step in and make Dolan sell the team. This guy sucks. I watch the Mavs games and I see Cuban on the sideline and I realize how that guy is a real owner and would do anything to win. He did the same thing Isiah did, aquire all big names and it didnt work so he changed everything and now they're nasty. He is a real owner. Dolan and Isiah should be kicked out of basketball permanently. This guy Isiah inhereted a bad team and made them worse....I wouldnt believe it would have been possible 3 years ago but it was. This team is worse then the Layden years. These guys suck, some of them are young but they have been in the league for a while (aside from the 3 rookies) and haven't done shit

Did Brown do a bad job yes he did, but why is he getting fired and Isiah isn't. the answer is James Dolan, the worst owner is all of basketball, maybe all of sports. This guy makes terrible moves over and over, including hiring Isiah who has failed in the past two places he was. This guy thought hiring a front office career failure was a good idea, just like Isiah thinks getting career losers are a good idea.

We suck and will continue to be mediocre or worse for years to come. Everyone of those big name morons, Rose, Marbury, Francis, as well as the role players that blow, Rose, Taylor, James must go and we will never win with them.

JAMES DOLAN AND ISIAH THOMAS ARE THE WORST THINGS TO HAPPEN TO NY BASKETBALL SINCE STARKS MISSED A MILLION SHOTS IN GAME 7 OF THE FINALS.

nycefnl

Benchwarmer
Rady you are a god! Reggie Miller put it on the money on Isiah's skills as a coach. He knows basketball!

...tell me 5 yrs ago, if I gave you a team with Rip Hamilton, Billups, Ben Wallace, Prince, and Rasheed Wallace...would you called that a championship lineup? Brown molded them into winners. And yeah I'd say they're pretty talented too.

I knew that was a good team before Larry Brown got there. And I followed T. Prince in college and everyone knows what Rasheed could do. So it was no surprise to me when they beat the Lakers. I thought they would if the NBA allowed them to play. The team didn't improve because of Larry Brown, they improved because of the acquisitions that they made. They couldn't beat the Nets because of Martin and Rasheed was the answer on him and prince on Jeferson. Larry Brown has a lot of luck on his side.

paris401

Starter
NYKnicks15 said:
if all goes as suspected. Isiah will take the bench. the knicks will be an uptempo team and we will be successful. because of how good a coach Isiah is??? NO. because if you have the squad we have and let them run. youll automatically win 40+ games. you could put my grandmother as coach and thatd happen. sure some moves will still need to be made but we will win more.

Isiah will remain part GM. but expect Kiki V. to become GM of the New York Knicks.

40 wins is successful???

donchris

All hate and jocking aside, be honest with your selves, Isiah Thomas has a great eye for talent. If any of you take a minute and look at his real track record. Put aside ny's hatred of him you'll see that Thomas brought in great players to the league. Starting with Toronto. Tmac and Marcus Camby. Then in Indiana he formed what today would be a dynasty. Al Harrington, Oneal, Artest Brad Miller Jamaal Tinsley. You guys get a hard on for these guys. So i'm not saying Thomas is the savior or anything like that but he does know how to bring in talent and let's not forget Larry Bird to a team that Isiah designed to the finals.

Real crcriticismFirst in Toronto. Well, I dont think there is any valid crcriticismn toronto. He was part owner of a new franchise at the time and drafted in alot of great young players as I mentioned before.

Knicks: There have been some real mistakes in NY. The first I belebelieve trading away Nazier Muhammad. He's a solid center and we really could have used him now. Another critcriticism bringing in Jerome James. That was probably the mother of all screw ups. It was a gamble that didn't pay off. Then there's Eddie Curry. ALtough he had a bad season NBA insiders in cluding Shaq think Curry will develope into the Next big man the likes of a Shaq or david Robinson. "That's what they say."

Here's my argument put all of Thomas's failures together they still dont equal the the mother off all screw ups which is 120 million given to Allen Houston. But we can't even talk about this cause New Yorkers freakin love the guy! Go figure. No one on this forum ever talkes about the Knicks being a mess 3 1\2 yrs ago and no coach wanted to come near the team. It was predicted that NY would be in shambles for years to come after that single event. In fairness, when you guys trash Thomas do bring up what he walked into because that still plays a factor here today.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
donchris said:
All hate and jocking aside, be honest with your selves, Isiah Thomas has a great eye for talent. If any of you take a minute and look at his real track record. Put aside ny's hatred of him you'll see that Thomas brought in great players to the league. Starting with Toronto. Tmac and Marcus Camby. Then in Indiana he formed what today would be a dynasty. Al Harrington, Oneal, Artest Brad Miller Jamaal Tinsley. You guys get a hard on for these guys. So i'm not saying Thomas is the savior or anything like that but he does know how to bring in talent and let's not forget Larry Bird to a team that Isiah designed to the finals.

Real crcriticismFirst in Toronto. Well, I dont think there is any valid crcriticismn toronto. He was part owner of a new franchise at the time and drafted in alot of great young players as I mentioned before.

Knicks: There have been some real mistakes in NY. The first I belebelieve trading away Nazier Muhammad. He's a solid center and we really could have used him now. Another critcriticism bringing in Jerome James. That was probably the mother of all screw ups. It was a gamble that didn't pay off. Then there's Eddie Curry. ALtough he had a bad season NBA insiders in cluding Shaq think Curry will develope into the Next big man the likes of a Shaq or david Robinson. "That's what they say."

Here's my argument put all of Thomas's failures together they still dont equal the the mother off all screw ups which is 120 million given to Allen Houston. But we can't even talk about this cause New Yorkers freakin love the guy! Go figure. No one on this forum ever talkes about the Knicks being a mess 3 1\2 yrs ago and no coach wanted to come near the team. It was predicted that NY would be in shambles for years to come after that single event. In fairness, when you guys trash Thomas do bring up what he walked into because that still plays a factor here today.

Sorry I have to do this (reprint something I printed in the past) but this calls for it, Isiah Thomas's resume:
Isiah Thomas became part owner and Executive Vice President for the expansion Toronto Raptors from 1994 to 1998, but left the organization after a dispute with new management. During his tenure with the Raptors, Thomas was unable to deliver them to the playoffs.
Thomas became the owner of the Continental Basketball Association (CBA) from 1998 to 2000. After his purchase of the Continental Basketball Association, the league was forced into bankruptcy and folded. Many CBA managers blamed Thomas's mismanagement and out of control spending.
From 2000 to 2003, Thomas coached the Indiana Pacers, replacing Larry Bird, who previously coached the Pacers to the NBA Eastern Conference title. Working with the leadership of Reggie Miller, Thomas helped bring up young talents such as Jermaine O'Neal, Jamaal Tinsley, Al Harrington, and Jeff Foster. In his first two seasons with the Pacers, the team was eliminated in the first round by the eventual Eastern Conference Champions of the respective years, Philadelphia 76ers and the New Jersey Nets. In what would be his last year with the Pacers, Thomas guided the Pacers to a 48-34 record in the regular season and coached the East squad at the 2003 NBA All-Star game. The Pacers were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs as the third seed to the Celtics (#6 seed). With blossoming talents such as Brad Miller, Ron Artest, Al Harrington, Jamaal Tinsley, along with the veteran leadership of Reggie Miller, the general perception existed that the Pacers' unfulfilled potential stemmed from Isiah Thomas's inexperience as a coach

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Isiah took a real bad situation with the Knicks and turned it into a disaster! We take every teams garbage and have the most disfunctional team ever! Yes, Isiah has a knack for drafting, that's why the Knicks should make hime a talent scout not a GM or coach! If you get a coach with a pedigree like Brown has, or a Phil Jackson... You give them what they need to run their system. That's just common sense! Still, even if you had a versitle coach like Flip Saunders, he would need a team not a bunch of guys that want to shoot regardless of what is going on in the game. You know when I knew Isiah was a disaster? When he traded VanHorn for TT right when the Knicks were really starting to to come into their own. He made moves just to make moves. If he really had a sense of what the hell he was doing, he would have know not to fix something that wasn't broken!

donchris

You have a point. My response to that is even Lenny Wilkins says Larry's Knicks have more talent then his did player for player. I'm still not convinced yet that removing Isaiah is the right move to better the franchise. The reason I think this is because we are where we are so let's make the best of it. All of our guys can play. They're not that bad if they play and are coached to their strengths. Young squads are suppose to run fast breaks. The Knicks under Larry dont. I would have given Larry 2 yrs then if he made no progress and continued bashing players in the papers, talk buy outs. But that's just me. Further more, if you really hate Isaiah then you'd agree that he should coach the team. That could be Jim Dolian's way of outsting him.