Marbury: I want to die a Knick

jimkcchief88

All Star
If your entire football team is tight except for the QB, are you going anywhere???? Marbury is definetly the reason the Knicks won't be going anywhere. Your point guard is the QB of your team. If your pg sucks.....

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
We've got to kill this topic. Pretty good analegy but it doesn't apply. There are plenty of football teams with good QB's and no good defensive line men. Those teams don't go far ether. Sure Marbury likes to score but that doesn't make him a bad point guard. If we look at the list of qualities and skills needed to play point, the ones that rank the highest are ball handeling, court vision and the ability to deliver the ball or passing. I'm not on Steph's jock but lets keep it real, dude has all of those skills. And all of this never been out the first round stuff, look, Garnett's only been out the first round once in his 10 year carrer, and after he made it to the western conference finals, the next year his team didn't even make the play offs. No one says Garnett is the reason for the loss. That situation is the worst in the history of the league. A team makes the conference finals and the next year can't even make the playoffs? I credit Marbury because at least he wants to take over when no one else can. Can we say the same for KG?

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
That's a horrible analogy and I don't have time to tell you why that's a horrible analogy so I'm going to leave it at that. You really must not know much about basketball if you think marbury is the reason why we only won 23 games last year. Are you serious? I mean come on marbury was our best player last year, our record without starbury speaks for itself. Like what i said, when marbury first got here everybody thought he was our savior now that the team is going through hard times everybody wants to use him as the scapegoat. I'm not a big marbury fan either but I know basketball and in basketball you just can't blame the loss on 1 player...especially if it's a collective effort...sorry

jimkcchief88

All Star
Are some of you guys really hoops fans of the KNICKS??? Then maybe you will remember some guy named CHARLIE WARD who played both PG and QB. Ditto for Allen Iverson. Hello, its the same skill set: vision and decision making. Nobody said "Starbury" is the ONLY reason why the Knicks only won 23 games last year, but if the guy is your highest paid player, captain, so-called team leader.......

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Well last time I checked... Charlie Ward isn't going to the hall of fame because he won the heisman trophy and was drafted to the NBA. Charlie Ward didn't blow us away with his playmaker skills or with passing ability.I liked charlie ward and did alot of things for us...but this not the same situation nor are they similar players. And please don't compare a PG to a QB because no they are not the same and no that's not a good analogy. I don't know what you tried to imply with that comment but I have two words...Larry Brown...and this is the reason STARBURY had his career worst year. If you seriously think that STARBURY played to his full potential then you're crazy and yes he is our highest paid player and our captain but so is KG, AI, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen for their respective teams and I don't see anyone bashing them...

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
The 1 and Only said:
Well last time I checked... Charlie Ward isn't going to the hall of fame because he won the heisman trophy and was drafted to the NBA. Charlie Ward didn't blow us away with his playmaker skills or with passing ability.I liked charlie ward and did alot of things for us...but this not the same situation nor are they similar players. And please don't compare a PG to a QB because no they are not the same and no that's not a good analogy. I don't know what you tried to imply with that comment but I have two words...Larry Brown...and this is the reason STARBURY had his career worst year. If you seriously think that STARBURY played to his full potential then you're crazy and yes he is our highest paid player and our captain but so is KG, AI, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen for their respective teams and I don't see anyone bashing them...

woo, i like that comment,100% behind ya, u killed it at the

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
i dont even wanna get into it with the whole pg/qb comment. that makes no sense whatsoever. marbury has almost more assists, or should i call them completions, then AI and and ward combined. marburys career avg was 8.1. ward and iverson combine for 9.1. so it's funny u say that.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Thanks for bringing up A.I. because he played what position in on offense in high school football ??? That's right, QB. As for why nobody is talking junk about AI, Paul Pierce, KG and Ray Allen, its because they avg more than 16.6 ppg for their multi-million dollar salaries and lead thier respective teams to more than 23 wins. I see we will never agree about this so we can just agree to disagree. But ask any respected b-ball analyst including Hubie Brown and they will tell you the first flaw with the Knicks is "Starbury" because he is a shoot first ask questions later guard. Larry tried to help him with this by yelling at him to slow the ball down and get the team into the half court sets, and "Starbury" wouldn't listen. That means he is uncoachable. Lets hope Isiah will have more luck with him, but if you won't listen to a hall a fame coach, what makes you think he will listen to a hall a fame player??? "Starbury" is like a QB who audibles instead of running the play called, throws more int than completions, and only wins 1 out of every 4 games!!!!

donchris

Aggree to disaggree? I understand what you're trying to say about leadership but you view is very one sided. I've noticed that those that don't like Marbury really just don't like him and ignore logic. Logiclly he is the best over all player on the roster "now". That is until Curry and Frye develope. But right now Marbury is the guy that can and needs to score. If we keep Francis and Marbury, one's got to score and one's got to pass. So may be then Francis will be the better scorer, who knows? But if you want to talk about last year, then talk about the whole situation. Inconsistant minutes and rotations played a major part in our loses. That's a coaching error not a point guard error. If you watched a few games you'd know we lost when Marbury was not aggressive. In other words the Knicks loss when Marbury/Starbury didn't take over and score 19-25 pts. I've been posting this all year. Last years Knicks could not win if Marbury did not score. In addition to all of that he still rank in the top 10 assists in the league. The QB thing doesn't really apply, unless you are refuring to Larry Brown as the QB.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Excellent point Donchris. I'mma add a lil bit to what Donchris said...I don't care if you really agree to disagree because what you're saying is wrong...flat out, plain and simple. Again and I think I've said this for the 2000th time...starbury's career worst year has occured out of all seasons because of who?...yea that's right LB. We will hopefully see the starbury of old return this year but starbury was has always been bad mouthed by people like you before last year so quit using that as an excuse. No one really likes him because he's a score first PG...plain and simple. What do you mean starbury didn't listen to LB last year?? That's why he only avg 16 points a game! Come on peops we need to stop having these starbury-o-centric conversations because if you seriously think the reason we won 23 games last was because of starbury then someone is lacking knowledge of the game. And quit with the QB analogies...they don't make sense! If you stick a QB on the basketball floor that doens't mean he's going to have excellent court vision! I'm glad I just shut that down...

Why is it that most other point guards manage to play fine under LB except stephon. Is every other point guard that played under LB and had success the exception and stephon is the norm? I dont think so. What coach in the league besides isiah has to go out and declare he is the leader of the team cause he can't trust his 16 million dollar floor general to handle that role.....

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Because most guards who play under larry brown aren't as talented as starbury in the scoring department...just check out larry brown's roster in the past for yourself and I guarantee you, you won't find a more talented PG than starbury...ESPECIALLY in the scoring department. I think Isiah trusts Marbury for the leader role...it's not like he refused it in the past and the times he didn't want the jumpers in the clutch this past season was because LB always benched him in the 4th, so no one can use that stupid excuse...

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Here is a quote from the NY Daily News in an Isiah interview that I was trying to say to all you Marbury haters that tried to blame him on the 23 win season: "You can't say that it's the point guard's responsibility to make us win and make us lose," said Thomas, who throughout his interview tried to avoid making Marbury the focus. "A lot of guys are playing too. It's not all on him."...please believe...I'm not the only one preaching this, if you know basketball then you know one person on a team can't make you win or lose a game but only as a cohesive you unit you can judge wins. One player can hit a decisive shot or make a crucial plays but their were plays before the crucial plays that had to take place for the crucial play to happen. All in all...get off of marbury and start making some sense people. Again I'm not a marbury fan nor an LB fan but I know what both of them can and can't do...LB is the major reason we won 23 games...watch Isiah take this team farther than LB ever imagined...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
if you know basketball then you know one person on a team can't make you win or lose a game but only as a cohesive you unit you can judge wins. One player can hit a decisive shot or make a crucial plays but their were plays before the crucial plays that had to take place for the crucial play to happen.

What does this jargen mean? He says that 1 player can make a difference but then 1 person can't? I think Isiah is doing alot of damage control and he is also trying to side step some issues. The one thing he does better than drafting is filibuster! I know that you win as a team and loose as a team but in sports that use a position player to direct offense, ala football and basketball, I think that player is a crucial part of the teams success! Marbury is looked at as a leader and a genral in the offensive stradegy. I think Marbury summed it up best when he said that he doens't want to be the guy that directs the offesnse. Arod gets alot of guff because of the size of his contract and the legacy that he supposed to have. Marbury falls under that as well. If you want to make that kind of coin and be the Star of the team, then there is a certain responsibility that comes with that, as well as accountability!

jimkcchief88

All Star
This is pure comedy because a few of you guys are the only ones in the COUNTRY blind enough to defend "Starbury." You say one guys doesn't make a team, but how many titles would the Lakers have won without Majic??? Or how about the Celtics without Bill Russel or Larry Bird??? Or the Bulls without MJ??? Get the point??? One guy can't win or lose for an entire team, but he sure can make a lot of difference. I will stop using the QB analogy because most of y'all just don't get it. How about decision maker or floor general??? Is that better?? The PG is supposed to be an extention of the the coaches intentions on the floor. That's probably why LB benched "Starbury"in the 4th because he was tired of yelling at him for 3 quarters. So you think it was LB's fault "Starbury" only avg 16.6 a game??? LB can't handle PG's who know how to score??? I have two names for you: AI and Chauncy Billups. "Starbury" is a more talented scorer than those two guys?? Please... I'll tell you why "Starbury "only avg 16.6 per game: DIMINISHED SKILLS. We know you "Starbury" lovers hate this topic, but as stated above, "Starbury" is the so-called leader of this team and made the most money, so he deserves most of the blame. Any coach can only do so much with players who are either non-talented or uncoachable. I would use a Dusty Baker/Cubs analogy, but you Starbury lovers seem to be to ignorant to understand anything so I will refrain. But tell me this, when "Starbury" stinks it up again this year with Isiah letting him run willy/nilly all over the floor shooting all the time, who are you going to blame then, his shoes????

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
for him to drop 16.6 ppg while running pg 4 larry browns half court offense is not bad. if brown had it his way marbury would avg around 10ppg. that would be a waste of his ability to score and a waste of his talent. long after the knicks gave up last season LB still refused to try marbury @ the 2. y not experiment? what did we have to lose? he was more concerned about becoming gm of the knicks. if we had a coach who cared more about winning us games w/ the team we had instead of playing mr general manager its a given the knicks would won 15-25 more games. isiah will do good things for this franchise. the team's confidence will be up and anyone who plays the game knows that confidence is half the formula for winning.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I think things got so bad between LB and Marbury, LB just wanted him gone. Like you guys say, LB is old school. One of those coaches that will bench you when you don't listen. Plus, Marbury is a little too small to go up against most of the established 2 guards in the east. To put him up against the likes of Paul Pierce, Micheal Redd, D-Wade.... Not fair. If Marbury could have played along with LB he could have avg more than 10 ppg. But I would take a 10/10 guy with the Knicks winning 45-50 games anyday. That the point. If "Starbury" was more concerned about the "team", he could have sacraficed a little of his scoring ability for the good of the team. Remember any player can score, but the great ones raise the level of the guys around them. Maybe Isiah can teach "Starbury" a little about that.

donchris

What are you talking about. Are you even watching the games. 10 pts a game you're way off. Watch the games. Mabury had no problem distributing the ball. He just had a problem passing the ball off and the team was losing. They need him to step up scoring wise. You're not making any sense.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I would watch more of the games if they were televised nationally. Gone are the days I would see Knicks twice a week, once on tues. with Hubie and the early Sunday game. But remember the play the Bulls at least 4 times a year and the still are televised nationally a few times a year. No way I'm paying 200 bucks for the league pass to see the Knicks get their butts whooped. But I watch the highlights/lowlights for everygame and also check the box scores. But which one is it, "Starbury" sacraficed or its LB's fault. I still say its diminished skills.