2006 FIFA World Cup: Who are YOU rootin for?

Ever since the first WC I watched (98'), I always liked Brazil. They were always one of my favorite teams, even though they don't have mah boi Rivaldo no more. :cry: BUT, I like Ronaldinho and Ronaldo is the shit. But, my main team is Portugal cuz of mah boi Pauleta! I also like Argentina. So my main team is Portugal, then Brazil, then Argentina. Sadly.....India won't make it...............................

rady

Administrator
Staff member
my first WC i watched was italy 90. That and the one from USA 94 were the best i've seen
since Romania didn't qualified this year, i'm rooting for my alltime favorite, Holland. Also, i'll be supporting the smaller teams such as Trinidad & Tobago, Togo, Ecuador, Angola, Iran
I also like Argentina & Brazil, haha

What about the games? So far Germany had the best one, that 4-2 in the opening, 2 magnific goals, USA lost 0-3 to Czech Republic.. that was pretty predictable

Tonight's the big game: Brazil - Croatia :)

BTW, Trin, if you still can't watch the games, get yahoo messenger and i'll connect the webcam to the tv tunner :)

rady

Administrator
Staff member
well.. togo lost to south korea 1-2 after leading 1-0 at halftime

rumor is that the Togo shamans made some charms and predicted they will win by either 1-0 or by 2-1.. :-<

anyway.. it was a pretty poor game if you look at the quality, but at least it was spectacular

Bruno

Benchwarmer
i had tickets to go for australia-brazil and usa-italy i sold them for 1200 dollars and now i can watch portugal and money on my house,but so far looks like portugal-holland in last 16

Rookie
i showed brazil for my favourite before tournament but they didn't play good in their first 2 match. and my second favourite is czech republic. they lost ghana but in this match they didn't have any real forwards. if baros or koller returns from injury, czechs will have a big win against italy

rady

Administrator
Staff member
With Brazil is like this.. if they play bad in the groups they play much better afterwards. If they start the groups with huge wins, they slow down in the eliminatory phases.
They have a great team (and a great coach), by far the best, at least on paper, if they trip somehow (i doubt they will) then it would probably be because of too many talented players trying to take the spotlight.

one of the best games is right now Argentina - Holland. I've always been a fan of the Netherlands back in the good days.. i still sympathize them

Bruno said:
i had tickets to go for australia-brazil and usa-italy i sold them for 1200 dollars and now i can watch portugal and money on my house,but so far looks like portugal-holland in last 16
You rooting for Portugal too? Cristiano Ronaldo and Pauleta are gonna dominate this tournament!

Bruno

Benchwarmer
lol,yeah maybe im rooting for them because its my country,meybe.so now holland is next,a win for portugal for sure.

vedder_69

Rookie
Australia play Italy in 2 hrs.

Will be extremely tough and hoping Harry Kewell laces up but they have done our country proud getting to where the have no matter what the result is.

Still hoping the boys can pull off a huge upset all the same!

Good Luck Aussies!!!!

vedder_69

Rookie
I think Portugal are in a fair bit of bother after beating the Netherlands. 2 of their players were Red carded, Christiano Ronaldo looks to be out for the tournament with a thigh injury and Figo might be getting charged for head butting.

Now they come up against England who, on the other hand, have not played that great in this tournament yet. I have Portuguese friends so I am hoping they do well but think they might struggle against the Poms who will field a healthier Wayne Rooney and the masters themselves - Steven Gerrard and David Beckham. Just unfortunate that Michael Owen's Cup campaign was cut disatrously short.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
cruel game last night.. portugal vs holland. it was very nice in the first quarter, but way too raw in the second. fair-play lost its meaning.. holland goes home :x

0-0 at halftime australia vs italy. i don't have a favourite, but i hate Vidouka :p i don't care much for italy either..

rady

Administrator
Staff member
an inexistent penalty kick in the last minute of OT.. man.. is there a luckier team?

vedder_69

Rookie
Rady, if you were pointing to Austarlias game, I am in agreeance but in saying that, we had at least 30-35 minutes with an extra man and we never looked like getting that elusive goal. Italy's defence was as good as you will ever see and Australia lacked the brilliance of Harry Kewell being out and even Brett Emerton.

Lucas Neill was very unlucky to have that 'dive' call against him in the final seconds but he had a great tournament none-the-less and has been welcomed back to Australia today a hero.

I think Wayne Rooney will cop a bit in England after seeing his incident. Not very good at all!!

rady

Administrator
Staff member
can't believe Italy eliminated Germany.. 2 goals in the last minute??? As i said before, i don't think there's a luckier team in the tournament. I lost again some money betting on Deutchland..
well.. what can i say.. go Portugal!

Bruno

Benchwarmer
well i won 5 bucks on beating italy would be tied on the half,well italy is one of those teams that always win because have the best defense,well today is the big game,everyone in portugal only thing about this big game and we still remenber semis in euro 2000 this penalty,damm,now its time for us to win