Why hasn't marbury reached the 2nd round of the playoffs

I personally am not a fan of stephon. He is not a winner in my opinion. I have read nothing short of that marbury is the 2nd coming of michael jordan on this board. So i was hoping someone can explain how a player of all his talent is yet to lead a team to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
supporting cast<<in minny, him and KG were still young<<<in NJ, that team sucked,Kmart was hurt,kittles was hurt and marbury didnt like van horn,in PHX where he finally had a good team, they made a good run almost upsetting the spurs but amare and marion were both young and inexperienced...and so what he hasnt make the 2nd round, there is also great players who hasnt make it
EXAMPLE: Tracy McGrady, Kirilenko, Paul Gasol

Musa

Rookie
datruth said:
supporting cast<<in minny, him and KG were still young<<<in NJ, that team sucked,Kmart was hurt,kittles was hurt and marbury didnt like van horn,in PHX where he finally had a good team, they made a good run almost upsetting the spurs but amare and marion were both young and inexperienced...and so what he hasnt make the 2nd round, there is also great players who hasnt make it
EXAMPLE: Tracy McGrady, Kirilenko, Paul Gasol

Sorry guys but LAME EXCUSES:

MARBURY IS A F'N LOOSER. He doesnt care about the team. He is interested in being "STARBURY". I mean how can he say: I **** on this team and i am going to be Starbury again.

I guess he feels inadequate

That`s the truth!!!

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Musa do you care to give us any examples of why that is your view or are you just another angry Knicks fan looking for some one to blame.

NYKnicks15

Starter
I'm not the biggest fan of Marbs in the world but I've argued this point many times. If you look at the places he's been and the roster at those times or scenarios you'll see whats up. Especially in PHO. They were a real good team made the playoffs. then the following season he gets shipped to NY right after Amare gets hurt.

and Musa if you are referring to his I'm just gonna be "starbury" comments FROM LAST YEAR who cares?! he was making them to that POS larry brown. and we were what 15 games left in the season? we already sucked ass.

Yeah how many times has KG made it past the first round?
or even worse.. McGrady. Gasol. like Truth already mentioned.

Chris you are absolutely correct.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
I think we can all agree that Marbury has a ton of talent. His problem though is that he lets that fill his head, and often gets in the way of the overall team progress. he still plays with the streetball mentality..."I'm the best guy on the court, and I'm going to prove it to all of you." The "showboat" mentality is great for boosting your ego and getting the fans to fall in love with you, but it isn't necessarily the best thing for the team.

1. Minny- clearly KG was/is the better of the two. Steph couldn't accept being in the shadow of KG so he forced a trade.

2. NJ- That team did suck. The summer Steph got traded for Kidd, they drafted RJ and Jason Collins, two important pieces for NJ's playoff run.

3. Phoenix- That team was loaded with talent. Marion, Joe Johnson, Amare, Penny [he was actually contributing, especially in the playoffs]. Two reasons why Phoenix pulled the trigger was to A) create cap space and B) every single one of their players complained about Marbury and how they couldn't play with him.

portega1968

El Cacique
Nice article by Fox Sports on the qualities a successful PG must have (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5773176).

The article says something that can help explain why Marbury hasn't reached the second round of the playoffs, and I quote:

"No NBA team has ever won a championship when its No. 1 (meaning PG spot) has led the league in scoring. And only three teams have won titles when their point guard was also their leading scorer — Isiah Thomas with Detroit in 1990, Magic Johnson with the Lakers in 1987, and Walt Frazier with New York in 1973."

And this one is so true and really applies to Steph:

"If there's one ultimate yardstick to measure the worth of a point guard it's this: Do his teammates perform at a higher level when he's in the game or on the bench?"

Unless Isiah shows Marbury how to be the leading scorer AND win a title, I demand that Marbs play like a true point guard and forget that crap about being a "shooting PG"... in other words, he should post career highs in assists, he must make his teammates better and he must improve his defense.

Last edited:

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
You make a good point Portega but I'm not certain that is the reason Marbury hasn't made it past the first round of the playoffs. I think the real question is can a team win with a scoring point guard. I believe the answer to that question is YES. Yes if that point guard has productive players around him. Last years loss was a team effart or lack there of. There were MANY contributing factors but I do not think the loss was because Marbury was a ballhog. It's just not the case. Really the question of why hasn't he made it past the first round in it's self isn't really a fair question. It's the situation of the time. Why didn't Ewing or Malone win a championship? In no way am I saying that Marbury doesn't have fault. He really needs to work on his jumpshot. Passing and getting his team mates involved is not a problem for Steph and wasn't a problem last year until they started losing. I watched this guy in person pass off the ball to Nate Robinson with 3 seconds left on the clock and Nate torched the 76ers to win the game. Every one was expecting him to take it to the hole. How can that be selfish.

portega1968

El Cacique
I don't believe Steph is a selfish player. He has many attributes (like penetrating) and, on the other hand, many weaknesses (like defense). But he's definitely not a selfish player.

IMO, the problem with Steph in becoming a true PG is that he needs to be more effective with his teammates on plays other than pick and rolls, which is where he gets the majority of his assists. That's where he can really make his teammates better. I'm really hoping to see him be more effective on fast breaks, and if he concentrates on limiting the opposing PG's performance, then that will make his teammates much better.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
in my opinion stephon doesnt shoot enough, he is too unselfish, i believe the majority of the NBA cant even guard stephon so i would support the idea of moving em to the 2

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
im telling you right now, marbury is most dangerous when the basketball is in his possesion. thats why he needs to play mostly the 1. he slashes thru the lane like no other pg. he wasnt playing that kinda basketball last season. he was running the half court offense which didnt show his greatest skills off (speed, strength, handles). now we add some more players who know how to cut the lane and find an open man with balkman and a maturing david lee. that will open up certain players for good looks @ 3 pointers (q-rich & jamal crawford).curry better have made himself BIGGER down low (same thing with james). collins will give us that d we need against the bigger guards out there who can take over a game (bryant, arenas, wade ect.) with these kind of players on the court along with marbruy or francis our opponent will be spending loads of energy on defense. ive watched the past 2 summer league games and even our rookies are mastering the run n gun style which we will hopefully perfect this season.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Now that's the Truth! Speak da truth! The Don, Da Truth, Portega, and liquid all put up excellent points. Starbury puts up 20+ pts and 8+ assts...what more does he have to do for his team to win? does he have to double his stats to win the championship or is he eventually going to get some help? And musa...i don't mean to call you out...but that was prolly the dumbest comment I've ever heard...how are you going to call out marbury and not have reasoning behind it...that's a waste of a post playa...now that's the truth...

jimkcchief88

All Star
Protect ur picks Isiah said:
I personally am not a fan of stephon. He is not a winner in my opinion. I have read nothing short of that marbury is the 2nd coming of michael jordan on this board. So i was hoping someone can explain how a player of all his talent is yet to lead a team to the 2nd round of the playoffs.
Its everyone else fault besides "Starbury." That includes his former and current coaches, teamates, his momma forgot to pack his lunch, his shoes didn't fit right, the sun was in his eyes, he stepped on a crack.....

NYKnicks15 said:
I'm not the biggest fan of Marbs in the world but I've argued this point many times. If you look at the places he's been and the roster at those times or scenarios you'll see whats up. Especially in PHO. They were a real good team made the playoffs. then the following season he gets shipped to NY right after Amare gets hurt.

and Musa if you are referring to his I'm just gonna be "starbury" comments FROM LAST YEAR who cares?! he was making them to that POS larry brown. and we were what 15 games left in the season? we already sucked ass.

Yeah how many times has KG made it past the first round?
or even worse.. McGrady. Gasol. like Truth already mentioned.

Chris you are absolutely correct.

The starbury thing is a joke because this guy is supposed to be a leader and one of the faces of the franchise and he's calling himself "starbury" which would be fine if he has a fist of rings, but he has none to back it up. so he just makes the franchise and himself look stupid. Not to mention a history of just horrendous quotes...

kg made it out one more time than marbury and should have made it more than that.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
True they have made it out one more time than 'starbury' but last time I checked you don't win rings for getting out of the first round...none of these guys have a fist of rings yet they are great players...if you surround great players with great role players then you will have a successful team...look for houston to have a big year this year also...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
portega1968 said:
Nice article by Fox Sports on the qualities a successful PG must have (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5773176).

The article says something that can help explain why Marbury hasn't reached the second round of the playoffs, and I quote:

"No NBA team has ever won a championship when its No. 1 (meaning PG spot) has led the league in scoring. And only three teams have won titles when their point guard was also their leading scorer — Isiah Thomas with Detroit in 1990, Magic Johnson with the Lakers in 1987, and Walt Frazier with New York in 1973."

And this one is so true and really applies to Steph:

"If there's one ultimate yardstick to measure the worth of a point guard it's this: Do his teammates perform at a higher level when he's in the game or on the bench?"

Unless Isiah shows Marbury how to be the leading scorer AND win a title, I demand that Marbs play like a true point guard and forget that crap about being a "shooting PG"... in other words, he should post career highs in assists, he must make his teammates better and he must improve his defense.

Excellent!! I read that article and it really show you the blueprint for a true PG. Funny enough, you can see it proven... Look at Stockton, Johnson, Isiah, Kidd, you can start to see it in Hindrich and Paul. But all the "Starbury" guys will come out and say he isn't a PG and then what can you do. It's like arguing with a child that everytime you tell them something they keep saying "but why". It's an endless loop that can never come to fruition. The very problem with Marbury is he is Starbury!!!