Give me your best trade that would help the Knicks right now

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
If you were the GM and could make 1 trade that you felt would best help the knicks, covering all or most of their immediate needs, what would it be?
Mine is:
M Taylor, Crawford and Lee or #1 (protected) pick to Portland for Randolph and Miles.

I feel this would give an immediate impact and fill 2 key needs:
1) A 4 that can bang and has a low post game
2) Fills the 3 spot that the Knicks are desperate to fill
It also thins out the guards where the Knicks were over compinsated. The Knicks stay young and athletic and hold on to Frye's contract. With Randolph and Frye, Lee's time at the 4 is limited and with Miles, J Rose and Balkman (if he pans out), Lee's time at the 3 is limited so it makes sence to move him in this scenario, if it is what's needed to make the deal.

Portland dumps salary, which is what they are trying to do, and they gain Crawford, who is young and talented, something else they want. Lee is a combo forward that can come off the bench and give some quality minutes to Portland.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Wow that's two good players that i wouldnt mind being knicks.. but i wouldnt give up Lee or Crawford. Especially after how Lee is playing in the summer league.

I think a good trade would be sending Jerome James and Maurice Taylor to Denver for Kenyon Martin. Now I'm not overly fond of Kenyon and his knees but we are getting rid of JJ and also giving them the cap they want. So its a win win. Then we have a rotation of Curry/ Frye and Martin/Lee.

And I wont even propose a Harrington trade because it seems with Indys new found MLE they can sign him or he can go to GS.. If not I would of sent Francis and cash to Atl for him. I guess Rashard Lewis is are next option and I'd send J-Rose and Nate over for him in a heartbeat.

Remember all trades should make sense for both teams.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
datruth said:
trade maurice taylor/jerome james for chris wilcox
I would love that trade but there is no way Seattle would make it.Yes, they would want an expiring contract but they would also want a young guy back. Also, doesn't Wicox want some insain amount of money?

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
NYKnicks15 said:
Wow that's two good players that i wouldnt mind being knicks.. but i wouldnt give up Lee or Crawford. Especially after how Lee is playing in the summer league.

I think a good trade would be sending Jerome James and Maurice Taylor to Denver for Kenyon Martin. Now I'm not overly fond of Kenyon and his knees but we are getting rid of JJ and also giving them the cap they want. So its a win win. Then we have a rotation of Curry/ Frye and Martin/Lee.

And I wont even propose a Harrington trade because it seems with Indys new found MLE they can sign him or he can go to GS.. If not I would of sent Francis and cash to Atl for him. I guess Rashard Lewis is are next option and I'd send J-Rose and Nate over for him in a heartbeat.

Remember all trades should make sense for both teams.

My first choice would be to give up a future pick(s) but I would use Lee to seal the deal. I totaly understand your point, but let me ask you this, who would you rather have, Lee or Randolph? How about Lee or Miles? I would trade make a trade for Martin if they wanted just an expiring contract, but they are going to want probably Crawfor if they can't get Frye in the deal. That's how I understand it from all the articles that I have read and ESPN rumours.

ny3nyk

Rotation player
how bout francis to milwaukee for simmons and smith or magloire? nyknicks15 mentioned out real hole is in the 3 position and simmons can def. play. milwaukee has villenueva to compensate for the loss of simmons and andrew bogut can return to play center. francis gives them another scoring option next to redd. i threw in magloire due to cap reasons and i dont see much use for him with curry and frye, so maybe another team can be added to this trade scenario.

NYKnicks15

Starter
nah HTG its not really Lee or Miles. or Lee or Randolph.. its Crawford and Lee for them. And it thats the case I wouldnt do it. For nearly half the money you get a duo in NY that can do almost as much and has no reputation of having bad attitudes or injuries.

liquid347

Rookie
I really couldn't trade Lee or Frye. With these two i think its time the developed there young talent, Lee is the kind of guy we could keep on the roster probably for a decent price. The guy is really improving and will probably have a good year playing the 3 and 4 spots. The same for Frye at the 4 and 5. Instead of trading these guys for some big name big contract guy we should be trying to build around them. and i think Miles is a bum and k-mart is out of the question he'll get here and blow his knee out. I would like to get Al Harrington but i wouldnt give up Crawford, Rose and Taylor could go but i doubt ATL would take them.

Last edited:

DaGreek34

Benchwarmer
Here is my trade and please forgive me, I dont pay attention to salary caps that much, so I will try my best to get it near.

I would deal Q, Francis and James to the Nuggets for Miller and Martin.

Now here is my reasons.

K-Mart! Some of you are down on this guy cause of this and that. But all you need to do is think back to his time in NJ when the team played in an open court setting. He filled the lanes well on the break with his thunderous dunks, he banged with the big boys and he gave weakside help all the time. PLUS he was the teams enforcer. Our Frontcout would be a rotation of Lee, Frye, Curry and Martin. I would put these four against any four in the league. Especially the way Frye and Lee are balling. We need a guy who is a mean SOB. K-Mart could do that for us. As for those of you crying Salary Cap, it aint your dollar, so quit crying about it. Dolan can pay the bill..... with no problem. Now Andre Miller is a piece the Nuggets want to move. He doesnt mesh well with the team. He is a good PG and is a pass first type of guy. He could fill a back up role or be traded to a team who needs a PG later: aka The Milwaukee Bucks, LA Lakers, San Antonio Spurs, etc..

Q, Francis and James I like each of them. But we need to sacrifice them so we can see more of Crawford and Nate. Our Rook can be our 4th Guard and be used mainly as a defensive stopper.

The Team would then look like this:

PG: Marbury He is our second option on offense
SG: Crawford Our most clutch player last year
SF: Balkman defensive minded SF who is very athletic
PF: K-Mart Enforcer, rebounder, shotblocker
C: Curry Our first option on offense early and late
Bench
Frye: Backup Center who will fill in when Curry gets hurt
Lee: Can play three positions and plays hard
Robinson: MSG crowd favorite and is our instant offense off the bench
Rose: Veteran off the bench who does a little of everything
Miller: Veteran PG who looks to dish and play D
Collins: Rook will get his minutes here and there
Mo: Practice Player with limited minutes
Malik: Practice Player with limited minutes
Butler: Practice Player will get minutes due to Curry being soft
Udoka: Practice Player

I see this team making a run at the Divisional Title.

Last edited:

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
hometheaterguy said:
I would love that trade but there is no way Seattle would make it.Yes, they would want an expiring contract but they would also want a young guy back. Also, doesn't Wicox want some insain amount of money?

wilcox wants the money that maurice taylor making this year, around 10 Million dollars

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
That's if Isiah doesn't take us to the playoffs which is a definite playoffs...I can't wait til this season starts so you Isiah haters will be quiet for once and talk about something else...

MEGA Trade

What we need:
to get better in rebounding and defence and to reduce number of players who needs ball to excel.

Trade scenario:
4 teams trade NYK, MIN, UTAH, SEA

New York Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Steve Francis To SEA
Maurice Taylor To MIN
Jamal Crawford To UTAH
Channing Frye To UTAH
Incoming
Marko Jaric From MIN
Eddie Griffin From MIN
Carlos Boozer From UTAH
Rashard Lewis FROM SEA

Minnesota Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Marko Jaric To NYK
Eddie Griffin To NYK
Incoming
Maurice Taylor FROM NYK

Utah Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Carlos Boozer TO NYK
Incoming
Jamal Crawford FROM NYK
Channing Frye FROM NYK
Mikki Moore FROM SEA
Noel Felix FROM SEA

Seattle Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Rashard Lewis TO NYK
Mikki Moore TO UTAH
Noel Felix TO UTAH
Incoming
Steve Francis FROM NYK

Reasons why:
Gets combo guard in Jaric who is defensive orieented and who can take some PG tasks from Marbury and who can guard better offensive guard in oposite team, servicable PF in Griffin and a strong starters on forward positions in Boozer and Lewis. NY sends Frye and Crawford to UTAH which gets starting SG and starting PF alongside with backup center in Moore and Noel Felix as add-in for trade to work financial. It is much more then they can get of any other team for ineffectual C.Boozer experiment. Seatle gets an all star point guard which they need to play alongside with ray allen for lewis, moore and felix and get away from possibility to loose Lewis for nothing next year. Minesot gets cap space next year and unload Jaric which contract becomes unwanted after signing of Mike James and unload Griffin whose neverending law troubles hobble him to show what he can.
Trade works financially, and it is checked with realgm.com trade checker
http://www1.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=3284131

NYK roster:
PG Marbury / Robinson
SG Jaric / Q Rich / Collins / Udoka
SF Lewis / Rose / Balkman
PF Boozer/ Lee / Griffin / Rose
C Curry/ James

Overal:
Better defence, rebounding and roster balance
Jaric is good complement to starbury, he can play D, and free starbury som PG aloving him to be concentrated on offence. He and Boozer don't need ball to be effective offensively and bring the defence to starting five. Starting five looks better offesively and defensively. Supporting cast looks also strong and gives rookies and sophmores time to develop

NYKnicks15

Starter
That trade is disgusting. No offense man.. but we give up Francis. Crawford. Taylor. Frye FOR CARLOS "Brokedown" BOOZER?! MARCO "cant shoot or run a team" JARIC?! and EDDIE "I crash cars cause I get drunk and masterbate" GRIFFIN?!

The onyl plus is Rashard Lewis. But I'd never give up all that to get him. Never.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
New York Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Steve Francis To SEA
Maurice Taylor To MIN
Jamal Crawford To UTAH
Channing Frye To UTAH
Incoming
Marko Jaric From MIN
Eddie Griffin From MIN
Carlos Boozer From UTAH
Rashard Lewis FROM SEA

I think you were very creative with your trade scenario but Seattle wants to dump salary and would never take on Frances. In fact, if they did deal Lewis to NY, they would want Frye in return. I'm not as against Boozer as NYKnicks15 is but I am scared of that contract. I like him as a defender/rebounder. If we could remove Frye from your scenarion I would be for it. The Knicks are capped out and will always be capped out. I can never see a time when they get under the cap, unless they are willing to right off the next 5 years and just go with what they have now. So, adding more money is not a problem for me. Like I said, Boozer would help the Knicks in the paint and Lewis would be give them the 3 they need. But in order to get Lewis Frye has to be in the deal for there to be a deal. I would part with Crawford if it got me either Boozer or Lewis so I have no problem with that.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I'm reading alot of trade Crawford for so and so posts. I think you guys really underestimate Crawford. He will fit in well in Isiahs new run and gun system. We need his fire power comming off of the bench. Back on topic. If we can make a solid realistic trade for Harrington lets do it. I don't think any one will go for a Jerome James trade.

jimkcchief88

All Star
donchris said:
I'm reading alot of trade Crawford for so and so posts. I think you guys really underestimate Crawford. He will fit in well in Isiahs new run and gun system. We need his fire power comming off of the bench. Back on topic. If we can make a solid realistic trade for Harrington lets do it. I don't think any one will go for a Jerome James trade.
I totally agree

Last edited by a moderator:
@NYKnicks15
Point of this trade is to strenght defence not to get offense because NYK have to much offensive firepower and to little defensive strength. With this trade, I think, we get a complementary pieces to our stars. In Boozer we get a complement to Curry. He will bang down low, he will rebound and he will do all the dirty things which Curry doesn't do. So I think we will have a strong inside presence offensively with Curry with the ball down low and we will have a complement in Boozer who will pick a "garbage". In the same manner, I think, Jaric is complement to Starbury because he defensive minded PG in a SG body, totally oposite of Starbury, who is a stud on offense. I totally disagree with you that Jaric is "can't shoot and organize" kind of player. Just look on MIN in games where he was a starter. They were in playoff picture last year with him as a starter. That answer something about his organization skills. About his shooting he is a .333 3 pt shooter during career (nba.com). Eddie Griffin is only add-in for this trade to work financially. His contract expires next season.
What we loose: two very similar players to Starbury in Francis and Crawford. They are all shoot first PGs. And I think one is enough to have on your team, so between those three I choose Starbury. We also loose expiring contract of Mo Taylor which is not a big loose because we will nerver be under the cap (or not in the near future). And biggest loose is Frye but you have to loose something. For this trade it was frye or lee and I chose Frye because his market value is greater, he has a bad knee and Lee will be better as a backup for Boozer.
So we will have starting 5 with 3 offensive minded players (Starbury, Lewis and Curry) and two defensive minded team oriented players (Jaric and Boozer) which is a good balance I think. The team get some balance with this trade.

@hometheaterguy
I totally agree with you about salary cap. If seattle wants cap space that is what knicks can offer. Instead of Francis they can offer J Rose. I think that any team discussing trade with NYK will ask some of young players. So it is better to give up somone with injury history. But if you want to get two players on a verge to be all stars you should give up some of yuor projects.

@donchris & @jimkcchief88
I agree that Crawford is underestimated sometimes but as I said before we have three VERY similar players in Starbury, Crawford and Francis. So I choose Starbury.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Not only is our depth chart horrible but it's fragile after that trade. Frye, Curry, and Boozer aren't the most durable big men in the game. Besides you could find a better trade for the franchise than that...this guy is a potential all-star night in and night out...we have to get better value out of him than this....