[Newsday] Shaq To Marbury: Let Your Play Talk

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Shaquille O'Neal said Stephon Marbury should let his play speak for itself and speculated that the Knicks' point guard would have been better off playing another season for Larry Brown.

"If you say you're the best point guard in the world, now you have to come out and show that every night," O'Neal said on SportsNet New York. "The only time when I really say that is when I have a real big game. You never really heard me say I'm the best center to ever play the game. When you say that, you have to come out and show that every night, especially here in New York."

When asked before a game against the Nets during the 2004-05 season how he would match up with Jason Kidd, Marbury replied, "I'm the best point guard in the NBA."
O'Neal, in the city with Miami Heat teammate Alonzo Mourning for a charity event, said of Marbury's relationship with Brown, "You have to listen to somebody that's been there.

alrobinson6022

Benchwarmer
shaq is full of s..t!! but he is right in one sense. you gotta put up or shut up. zo and shaq can talk all they want but they never played for larry brown and they weren't with the knicks last year to see what was going on so.....

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Yea you're right...shaq wouldn't have put up with that junk from LB last year. But he's right...TALK IS CHEAP! If you say you're the best you got to prove you're the best...PERIOD. But marbury would kill kidd 1on1 wise...

brooklyn_baller

Benchwarmer
alrobinson6022 said:
zo and shaq can talk all they want but they never played for larry brown and they weren't with the knicks last year to see what was going on so.....
Theres no way thats gonna happen

IcEWaTEr123

Benchwarmer
yea shaq would of never have puttin up with larry brown and shaq shouldnt be running his mouth about something he knows nothing about

Musa

Rookie
Shaq To Marbury: Let Your Play Talk :

The 1 and Only said:
But marbury would kill kidd 1on1 wise...

I always thought that basketball is team sport. I don`t give a fuck whether Starbury kills Kidd 1 on 1. This is fucking "Gangster shit". The most important thing is that he impoves his teammates. He achieves success wherever he plays. At the end of the day it`s about the team. That`s the point that STARBURY does`nt understand. You need to ask the guys who played with him. They confirm that he is a selfish person.

The only way to suceed is to create a team without starbury!

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
That's not fair. I hear the media say that all the time but it can't be true. The stats don't lie. Mabury has always distrubuted the ball.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Do you not think that's not obvious? I'm making a point...listen to the whole convo before you judge my words. Jason Kidd WAS the supposed best PG in the league and I said that marbury could beat him in 1on1...how are you going to bring the team into that equation...I really don't feel like arguing with another Marbury hater...so just watch the season this year and then judge....

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
As now the best PG in the NBA is Dwade. Done end of story. Finals MVP and delivered in the clutch.

Shaq say what you want to say about him he has dominated and hes a 4 time champ...hes won MVP a couple of times...and hes gotten Finals MVP.

Marbury lets see never won MVP, no finals MVP, never lead a team to the finals....

No comparison.

I side with Shaq...yall act like Marbury is shittin carrots or something.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
First of all dawg...D-Wade is a combo guard that plays the SG spot most of the time while either GP or White chocolate plays the 1...so no he's not the best PG in the game. And I have never heard anyone deny the fact that what shaq said was the truth...I've heard people criticize him on his advice on how he would've handled LB but other than that no one says he's wrong so calm down...calm down. It's hard to say who the best PG is now...Steve Nash is a really good PG....REALLY GOOD...but he's no MVP and he has a custom made team built just for him. JUST FOR HIM. The whole team can run with him, rebound the ball and outlet the ball to him, and can light it up from the three and pound it down low....if you're a PG isn't all that on your christmas list?? I think marbury and any other PG would love to be on a team like that. And push all the awards to the side...let's talk about ballin...do you not think that marbury can bumrush any PG in this league?? Tell your unbiased unhateful truth...marbury would shake and bake any PG you put in front of him...the only thing stopping him last year was LB. Like what they say...if you have haters then you know you're doing well...REAL WELL....

wymm

Rookie
donchris said:
That's not fair. I hear the media say that all the time but it can't be true. The stats don't lie. Mabury has always distrubuted the ball.
When breaking down Stephon's play as a PG, you have to look at more than the individual stats, you also have to look at the team's overall performance (Win-Loss). Unfortunately, Stephon has not been able to win games.

Shaq's statement that if you're going to make a claim to be the best, you better be able to back it up. Not just with stats, but with overall team performance. The role of a PG is to be the team's floor general. A good floor general wins games. A bad one loses them. So if you're going to make the claim that you're the league's best floor general, you need to win games. A lot of them.

Really, the fact that Stephon THINKS that he is the best PG in the league is what really holds him back from BEING the best PG in the league, IMO. By thinking that you're the best, you don't allow yourself room in your mind to believe that you have areas in your game that need to be improved. The tools are all there, but unfortunately, he's coupled it with a very proud attitude.

In fact, having Larry Brown as Stephon's coach was actually the best scenario to prove that Stephon was the best PG in the league. Larry Brown's 40+ starting lineups is often looked upon as a huge negative, but it was also the best opportunity for Stephon to prove his leadership skills as a PG. If Stephon had been able to get the Knicks to win with all those different starting lineups, then there can be no denying that he really is the league's best PG. But unfortunately, that didn't happen. And what we see now is the fact that Stephon, as great a player as he is, is not a good floor general.

I'm not hating on Stephon. I think that he can still be the league's best PG, but so far, he hasn't shown that he is able to take the steps necessary to be it.

Musa

Rookie
Shaq To Marbury: Let Your Play Talk

The 1 and Only said:
Do you not think that's not obvious? I'm making a point...listen to the whole convo before you judge my words. Jason Kidd WAS the supposed best PG in the league and I said that marbury could beat him in 1on1...how are you going to bring the team into that equation...I really don't feel like arguing with another Marbury hater...so just watch the season this year and then judge....

What is your definition of "Best PG"? Having the best skills one on one like crossover etc? Sorry but that`s bull shit. I think that PG is the most important position because a PG has to anticipate situations and he has to lead the team in critical sitiations! These are the important skills Marybury does`nt have. He is the type of guy who looks in the mirror and says: "I am great, yeah I am great, I love myself! My team loses but I don`t care as long as I earn money"

The best PG`s in the NBA:

1. Steve Nash MVP
2. Kidd
3. Billups

At the end of my list:

Stephon "Starbury" Marbury!

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
But see that's your opinion...I believe just as much in what you said as the PG is supposed to step up in any statistical category that the team lacks, push the tempo at the right times, and etc etc. When you put up the numbers that marbury has...it's not marbury's fault that he's losing. The man averages a career 20+ pts and 8+ asts. He's in the same boat as KG, Paul Pierce, Zach Randolph, now the current Kobe Bryant, and countless of other players...and the only one I hear getting dissed all day is Starbury.We praise Kobe on him scoring 81 points but he can't get his team anywhere. We say how good KG is but he can't make it past the first round, Paul Pierce dominates the game like no other but he can't get anywhere either...so why aren't these names mentioned?? It's because ya'll aren't KG haters or Kobe haters...some of you people are STARBURY haters and you need to go back in being a knick fan real quick instead of a hater. You guys are crying like talking bad about starbury is going to change things...Musa, I don't care if he's at the bottom of YOUR list. That's your opinion...i respect it even though it is wrong. And in the three PGs you just named...you notice how good there teams are? If you remove the PG from each team they would still be a playoff team...can you say the same thing for the knicks? Nope. And since Steve Nash is MVP doesn't mean that he's the best PG in the game. He doesn't deserve the MVP. He's a good point guard but a poor vote for MVP. Lebron, Wade, and Pierce deserved it more than him...

Musa

Rookie
Shaq To Marbury: Let Your Play Talk

The 1 and Only said:
And in the three PGs you just named...you notice how good there teams are? If you remove the PG from each team they would still be a playoff team...can you say the same thing for the knicks? Nope. And since Steve Nash is MVP doesn't mean that he's the best PG in the game. He doesn't deserve the MVP. He's a good point guard but a poor vote for MVP. Lebron, Wade, and Pierce deserved it more than him...

I agree that Suns would make the playoffs without Nash. But he is one of those guys who can take you to the next level. That`s the point. You have to agree that Starbury isn`t able to do that. You are talking about Starbury`s stats. Indeed his stats are good but being a great PG takes more than (20/8) stats. What about team chemistry???

It seems to me that people in America are only interested in stats of a player (and his shoes). Am i wrong? Is that all?

Take a look at the list of players who left the team cause of Marbury:

Kurt Thomas

Tim Thomas

Keith Van Horn

Next one is QRich.

You can say that he is a real good player with great skills like cross over etc but the fact is he isn`t a team player! That`s the reason why the Knicks does`nt suceed.

I love the Knicks :) but I hate the way Marbury behaves and plays Basketball.

donchris

Excellent point One! Wymm, I see your point too. That statement of being the best PG in the league was not well thought on Marbury's part. That aside, The 1 is right, Nash is a great pg but he has a better performing team so he can take credit for their success. Mabury has never had a strong team. Not in his entire career. The best team he had was the Twolves and at that time they were a young inexperienced team. No excuses, just how it was. I don't think many NBA players in this league would have been able to handle the piss poor coaching job LB did last season. So all that Shaq talk is nonsense. Shaq is a very smart ball player and knows the game well but he wasn't in a situation where the line up was changed 40 times. He wasn't in the locker room. That kind of change shows a coach has no faith in his team. I can't falt Marbury for having trouble adapting to that change. I saw him pass the ball more than he has in most of his career but his only scoring options were rookies and first time Knicks like Richardson and Curry. Most players take a year to adapt so it was almost expected that they would be inaffective. Also being that Marbury is the Knicks best scorer, he can't be fairly compaired to any other PG in the league. (Except A.I.) It's automatically a different type of team than your traditional squad.

wymm

Rookie
I don't know if you read the whole article, but Shaq made a comment at the end of the article that was very revealing.

"It wasn't until I met Phil [Jackson], and put my ego aside, and listened to what he had to say and understood it," O'Neal said. "So I think if those guys would have listened and had paid attention and understood, then they would have been better off."

Yeah, Shaq isn't a Knick and he wasn't in the locker room. He's a center and not a point guard. But both Shaq and Marbury share one thing that's the same. He is the leader of his team like Marbury is the leader of the Knicks. And as leaders go, Shaq leads his team to wins and Stephon has led his team to losses.

So what is Shaq really saying? More than let your play do the talking. He's trying to pass on some wisdom to Stephon.

Shaq knows the rules of success. He's won 4 NBA titles. If you want to win, you learn from those who have won. Shaq has learned to listen to proven winners. And he's telling Stephon to do the same.

donchris

wymm said:
I don't know if you read the whole article, but Shaq made a comment at the end of the article that was very revealing.

"It wasn't until I met Phil [Jackson], and put my ego aside, and listened to what he had to say and understood it," O'Neal said. "So I think if those guys would have listened and had paid attention and understood, then they would have been better off."

Yeah, Shaq isn't a Knick and he wasn't in the locker room. He's a center and not a point guard. But both Shaq and Marbury share one thing that's the same. He is the leader of his team like Marbury is the leader of the Knicks. And as leaders go, Shaq leads his team to wins and Stephon has led his team to losses.

So what is Shaq really saying? More than let your play do the talking. He's trying to pass on some wisdom to Stephon.

Shaq knows the rules of success. He's won 4 NBA titles. If you want to win, you learn from those who have won. Shaq has learned to listen to proven winners. And he's telling Stephon to do the same.

Steph leads his team to losses? That's below the belt. Shaq is a leader! No doubt about that, but Shaq never led a team with three rookies and five new players any where. Shaq also never delt with 40 different line ups. I read the article and I get Shaq's point. His point is that players should listen to coaches. But his point is one sided. In no way has Shaq so far spoken about the 40 different line ups. Phil never did that. Phil told Shaq things that would work. Also Phil stroked shaq's ego by making him the man so I don't know what Shaq is talking about. It's easy to listen to the coach when he says " Here kid, dunk the ball!"

Last edited:

donchris

I want to add one more thing. It's much easier to center a team around a dominate center than it is to center it around a scoring poing guard. Shaq has never played with an alstar type PG (unless you count Penny). You can put shaq on any team with reasonable shooters and defenders and you'd have a playoff team. Marbury as we can all see is a different case, as is Nash, Kid, and B.Davis. (Three of my fav. PG's) You can put any PG on a team with resonable guys and they may be good or they may not be. It's not the same as having the best center piece. Curry in time can develope into that Center piece. If Curry had stepped up last season we would have won more that 23 games.