Channing Frye or other?

Should the knicks start frye next year or acquire a veteran PF?

• Yes, start Frye

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • No, he's not ready

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
It sounds like some knick fans think the knicks should go out and get a veteran power forward like K-mart. I think they best off stickin with frye. He didnt play a whole lot of d last year but i think they can get away with that, I'm more concerned with currys defense but frye is young and he needs the big minutes to improve. Id rather give him the time then go out and add to the payroll. The way channing looked last year he proved that he will contribut now and grow into one of the better pf's in the league. what does everyone else think about this?

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Fry is a good young player with lots of potential. Under the current situation he is the best available option at the PF position, but if we were able to trade off some of the guards we should try to trade them for a solid PF and have Fry back up Curry. Every one seems to think CWebb is washed up but he still gets rebounds and can be a good asset. I think if he made the veteran’s exemption it wouldn't be that big of a problem. This is a very controversial idea that has pros and cons but it could work. Kenyan Martin is another option but would add to the cap. A deal for Webber may actually be better for the Knicks being that he does not have a long term contract. It expires in 2 yrs. Even if you don't like getting Web or k.Mart Fry would still be much more effective coming off the bench with Robinson and Lee.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Ya i would rather have webber then k mart cuz of tha shorter contract i still think they should stick with frye but i can see the other side of the arguement. The Knicks do have to many guards and it would be a plus if they can move one or a couple. I agree with u that webber aint washed up yet. his numbers were very close to 20 and 10 last year and hes a good passer. With the lack of fundamentals webber will be effective til he retires. a big an who can pass rebound and that has a decent jumpshot but if frye started at pf the minutes would help him develop and it would be more minutes for lee and Jeffries.

Big C

Benchwarmer
Frye has to start now. How else is he going to develope. Sometimes experience is the best teacher.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I say we start Frye because he really has no pressure beyond playing defense and playing with motivation. He has vets Marbury and Francis to pick up most of the scoring load so basically all frye has to do is hit the open jumper and play well in the post. We don't need webber or k-mart...they demand the ball, we don't need someone like that. Stick with Frye and let him blossom...

wymm

Rookie
Starting Frye would be one of the keys to saving Isiah's jobs. Frye put up good numbers when he started games. He may not be a lockdown defender, but he wasn't a liability on defense either. He did his job. That's why for the life of me I could not understand why Larry Brown didn't let him play 30+ minutes on a consistent basis last year. Frye gave his all every game and is the 2nd most consistent player on the team. Trying to find the right combination is not a reasonable excuse.

If you're going to trade for Webber, do it at the trading deadline. As for trading for K-Mart...can any tell me how well he did playing with Marbury when they were both on the Nets? I don't recall them playing very well together. (Wasn't that one of the reasons the Nets traded away Marbury for Jason Kidd?)

Really, with both Curry and James out, the Knicks last year should have been playing Frye at C, David Lee at PF, Q-Rich at SF, Crawford at SG, and Marbury at PG. (This is before the Steve Francis trade.) Doesn't matter if they didn't have a "true" SF. Larry Brown is supposed to be a great coach...so he should have figured out how to win with that type of team.

As for this year's team...I'd say the Knicks should go with a lineup of Frye (C), Lee (PF), Jeffries (SF), Crawford (SG), and Marbury (PG). They all play well and are consistent in their effort. Until I see consistency in the play of both Curry and James, neither of those two should be starting. Q-Rich backs up Jeffries. Robinson backs up Crawford. Francis backs up Marbury.

What I'd like to see is Isiah stare down Philadelphia like Brian Cashman did and get Chris Webber for Maurice Taylor, Malik Rose and Jerome James.

Toons

is the Bo$$
i think isiah should start frye firstly, and i too agree that we have waaay too many guards. keeping in mind that jalen rose played pg in indiana, i think jalen is a much better shooting guard than a small foward, he gets burned too much at the sf postition, i think q rich is a better sg too before he fell in love with the three ball, then we have nate, crawford, starbury, and francis...out of 12 players on a team, 6 of them are truly guards. I think balkman was a good pick at small foward, he can jump, play defense, and he has that dennis rodman energy. From what i see from balkmans college games, and his summer league games, he should start over jeffries. I thnik our lineup should be pg- Marbury, sg- J.Rose, SF- R. Balkman PF- Curry C-Frye or James.
what do u guys think?

Last edited:

brooklyn_baller

Benchwarmer
Channnig was second among rookie in points per game and second in blocks.I think he is better than Bogut and Villineuva. Isiah should start him as a power forward.

IcEWaTEr123

Benchwarmer
i hope frye starts because he just gonna get better and better every year and he needs more playing time he will be an all star at one point in his carrer

donchris

alrobinson6022 said:
I think the starting lineup will be Curry at center, Frye at pf, Jeffries at sf, Francis at sg, and Marbury at pg.

I think you're right! I think that is exactly how it will go down pending we do not get Webber. If we do Fry can still get his minutes backing up Webber and Curry.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
alrobinson6022 said:
I think the starting lineup will be Curry at center, Frye at pf, Jeffries at sf, Francis at sg, and Marbury at pg.
That's the most ideal lineup. But still Webber is a ball junkie... we don't need someone else to demand the ball. We need defenders and players that will give in to the team concept...

donchris

The 1 and Only said:
That's the most ideal lineup. But still Webber is a ball junkie... we don't need someone else to demand the ball. We need defenders and players that will give in to the team concept...

I don't know. Webber is a better than average passer. We don't have a strong inside game with Frye and Curry. With Webber in mix Frye can back up Curry and David Lee can back up Webber. Every one gets minutes. We can't depend on Jerome James. Not even as a back up.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
But Webber can never settle for a team player role. He demands the ball in the post and with marbury, francis, and Curry...there's not much ball left. Webber should be non-existent in our plans in my opinion...