Marbury: I'd Rather See Garnett In N.Y.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Stephon Marbury said Wednesday he would embrace playing for the Timberwolves if he were traded to Minnesota, but he emphasized that he considers himself a New York Knick for life.

That's why he doesn't see any other possibility of playing with Wolves all-star Kevin Garnett again — unless Garnett relocates to play for Marbury's New York Knicks.

Marbury will be in the Twin Cities today to promote his new sneaker line. During a phone interview, Marbury, who played for the Timberwolves from 1996 until his trade to New Jersey in March 1999, said he hasn't talked to Garnett recently but that he would embrace a reunion.

"I would love to play with Kevin," Marbury said. "We would love for him to come to New York. If he wants to play with me in New York, that would be great. That's the only way it's going to happen, because I'm in New York."

http://www.knicksonline.com/teaser/5392/marbury-id-rather-see-garnett.html

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I read this article first thing this morning. It's good to see that both Marbury and Garnett seem to really respect each other and want to play together but in reality it wont happen. That is unless Thomas can figure out a way to bring in Garnett by moving out a few guards and give the T wolves a fighting chance and bring the Knicks under the cap.

frye + francis + Rose('s expiring contract) + maybe david lee.

i don't support that trade, but i think that's what it would take.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
This is a controversial statement but im gonna say it anyway. the knicks certainitly have the tools to get kg if they throw frye into a package with a couple of others but i would rather keep and develop frye. I'm very big on frye i think hes bound to be an all star in a couple of years. In other words, even if minnesota was willing to trade kg to the knicks i wouldnt want him. I'd rather let the team develop and see them makin a run at the championship in a couple of years then to get kg now and try to win a title this year or next year. I dont think, even with kg that they would have a championship team. I think miami and pheonix would still be better. I wouldnt make a single trade until the deadline. they should let this team play together and develop chemistry cuz im a big fan of the roster. We can match up with any other team.

donchris

I have a problem with this roster. There are too many over paid players and too many guards. There are 15 players on the roster. We should not have more than 12. This line up may gain chemistry but it needs to be rearanged badly. We could try to dump our players on the Twolves but I think it will take a three team trade to bring Garnett to NY. We should get Philly envolved.

ny3nyk

Rotation player
hell, frye has a legit chance of possibly being an all-star next year as far as im concerned. it's best we wait on frye to keep our options open. kg is a steady 20-10 guy, but we can expect stats far above the norm from frye in years to come. now, if we package curry or lee, then we can talk kg. plus, with mike james and randy foye, they'll never take francis. but possibly the expiring contract of jalen rose.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
even in a couple of years KG would still be better than frye, frye will be good but will never be as good as KG

ny3nyk

Rotation player
you can't justify what you just said. Me saying frye will be better than kg in the future is a speculation. for one thing, frye is almost 10 years younger than kg. frye has definitly more talent and a more consistent jump shot right now than kg had when he was a rook/soph. kg is more aggresive on the boards and defence, but there's always time to patch up holes in your game.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Yeah itd be really hard to get Kevin Garnett.. without giving up future.
There is no doubt they will pursue Frye or Curry and I'd like to keep them both. And it is true they probably wont want Francis. Wait to deadline to see what is out there. I think February will become a pretty interesting month for the Knicks.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
february is going to be verey interesting, who knows what can happen. KG would be just another knick who wants a certain amount of touches and a front line of kg and curry would probally not work cuz it would result in curry not gettin enough touches and demanding to be traded. With frye and curry at 23 and kg being 30, I think the best option is to let frye and curry get use to each other and keep them in ny for a long time.

donchris

I'm going to make a controversial statement so get ready.

Channing Frye is OVERRATED. The kid is good but he's not great. I think all of this talk about him being an all-star is pathetic. If you're not a Knicks fan or live in the tristate area then the odds are you don't know who the hell Channing Frye is. Fry, as good as he is and as much potential as he as well NEVER lead this team to a championship. NEVER! Garnett is up there in age but is still in his prime. I would seriously consider a Frye for Garnett trade if Minny would take Richardson and James.

The Don's Prediction: I'll add one more thing. As much as Isiah talks about the future, if he has a chance to bring in Garnett he will try his best to keep the youth in tact but if Garnett is serious about coming to NY (And I believe he is) then wave by to Frye.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Now I wouldn't go to that extreme...you're right, he probably won't be an all-star but he isn't a "nobody". He played really solid for us last year and would have been runner up in the ROY votes. We need to develop him more because sky is the limit for him and Curry...KG on the other hand has 2-3 more years left in him and starbury, francis, and KG will be all past their prime former all-stars that are stuck on this roster. I say we keep Frye tho...

donchris

Ok 1 so we can agree. If Frye is not an all-star player and is a valuable role player then he should be considered in a Garnett trade. I threw that comment out because Knicks fans talk as if Frye is untradable.

NYKnicks15

Starter
I really dont think thats a controversial statment Chris and I mean no offense it's just I think true basketball fans know he isnt as good as he is hyped to be AT THE MOMENT.

Hes not Garnett and who knows if hell ever be up to that level. BUT I think its a chance worth taking. As I like Garnett and think itd be cool to have him on the roster.. Id rather take a 2 million dollar chance in Frye then a 20+ million dollar one with an aging KG.

With that being said.. Frye, IMO, will be Chris Webber like. Allstar here and there, good numbers etc but not a TOP LEVEL superstar. He has the potential to be the next KG but so did Darius Miles (who I think is unjustly ripped into btw).

If we can part with Jerome James, Malik Rose, Maurice Taylor, Jalen Rose, Steve Francis, or Quentin Richardson in the deal then lets do it.. but past that I wouldnt be too excited.

ny3nyk

Rotation player
in 2 years time, marbury, francis, and malik rose comes off the books. so does kg. within 2 years, im begging and hoping and praying that frye will play to his potenntial by then, rendering the signing of kg useless. and if that doesnt happen, we;ll sure as hell have to resign marbury to at least a decent contract, because without marbury, hell why would kg bother coming to ny in the first place?

e_D

Benchwarmer
KG has been one of the most hardworking men in the game day in and day out since his rookie season. As far as I'm concered he's past his prime, he still has some good years left but I don't think he would be able to last very long in the stress of the city.

portega1968

El Cacique
I'm with donchris and datruth... Frye will be a good player, but not an allstar and definitely he will never be as good as kg.

KG has at least 7 years of double-doubles left in him and the Knicks should jump on any opportunity to bring him here

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
So they'll beat miami or whoever to win the east and then they'll beat pheonix to win the championship? As long as Amare Stoudamire comes back and plays the way he did before he got hurt, no one is beatin pheonix. Now, onto Frye: I like the comparison to chris webber. They both can score in the low post or by hittin a nice jumpshot. With the knick team as it is, I belive they can make the playoffs and put up a good fight in the first round. Who said Frye will lead the knicks to a championship? I dont remember that chrisDon. I thinka couple of years can lead this team to a championship but no individual player will be leading the knicks to a championship. Kg is a great player and all this and that but I'm not in2 making any more trades. They made enough, just give these players a chance to play together under isiah.