• Improve defensively but still be an offensive foul machine

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No significant improvement in any areas of his game

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Nice article (Knicks making early efforts to improve) but the lack of mention about Eddy Curry is ominous.

It took 2/3 of last season for Curry to get in half-decent shape and a repeat of that will be a disaster. On the flip, if he ever decides to get into actual NBA shape his upside potential is obvious.

Does anyone know what's up with Curry and what kind of shape he is in right now?

Last edited:

TrueBlue20

Benchwarmer
I believe that Curry really is working out somewhere. As one of the core players however, I think that he should have been working out with the rest of the team. At the end of last season, he said that he would be going to Vegas to workout with the summer league team but he wasn't there.

Whatever he's doing, it had better be working and he should be in great shape. And ready to have a really productive season for the Knicks.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
hpefully hes been doin drills to improve his defense and rebounding, and his footwork down low, this is a big year for curry, its his 5th year and he needs to start playin more consistent

Ewing33

Benchwarmer
I hate to be negative...however, I don't see how we can think that Curry will come in any different shape than ever before. He does not appear to be a guy who can "motivate" himself in the offseason (and during many parts of the season). I think the only way he would show improvement is if he stayed and worked out with others and the coaches over the summer...Hope I am wrong...but I doubt it.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Like I said in the Maurice Taylor thread we have signed two guys to be in our training camp. Wichita States Paul Miller and Virginia Forward Elton Brown..

and according to Marc Berman Elton Brown has been giving Eddy Curry a run for his money in practice. not good news. I like Eddy and hope he turns into the player I know he can be furthermore has the potential to be BUT if the Garnett idea comes up anytime soon I'd send Curry over if this continues.

RMK-NYK

Benchwarmer
donchris said:
Curry has an expiring contract so if he doesen't step up we should ship him OUT!

This isn't true...the Knicks signed him to a long term deal upon the completion of that trade last year. He was an FA last year.

Unfortunately we're stuck with this fatass so hopefully he has ineed been working out. In reality though, he has gone into almost every off sesaon with this same hope applied to him and he always comes in fat, out of shape, and doesn't start playing well till the midway pt. Last year you can't fault him really cause he was forced to be limited in the offseason due to his uncertain condition at the time...this time there are no excuses.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
We shouldn't say better coach, but a more suitable and better coach in this situation. Nevertheless LB handled last year like a 4 year old...

IcEWaTEr123

Benchwarmer
this year curry has to show everyone that he could be a "baby shaq" if he does not hav any significance improvement knicks gotta get rid of him

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I'm just looking from improvement from Curry...you can't expect a youngster like Curry to explode into an instant superstar...he's still young and still has a lot of potential so if he just grabs about 8-9 boards a game then we have a monster in the making. He has the scoring and offensive mentality down but it's his aggressiveness and his rebounding he has to work on. If he gets that mentality down then we can all expect a monster out of Curry...

nixon7

Benchwarmer
The poll results are interesting so far (3-2-2-2) in the lack of an answer (although a polling sample of 9 is unuseable anyway). It will be interesting to see how this changes over the course of the next two months.

"The 1 and Only" seems on target to me, although weight is the key. Curry's lack of aggressiveness is partly conditioning and partly foul trouble, both of which should be improved if he loses the weight and gains conditioning.

Jeffries and Balkman should also help cut down on Curry fouls. If Frye and Lee get better defensively then the impact on Curry could be significant.

Also, with regards to the coaching, weight and conditioning will determine whether Curry can contribute on a running team rather than on a half-court team.

Rebounds are not the critical stat for Curry. I do not mind if he boxes out and someone else gets the rebounds. What I really want to see is shot-blocking and intimidation. If the Knick frontline can average 5+ blocks this year, this becomes a whole different team.