Preview: Five questions

rady

Administrator
Staff member
FIVE QUESTIONS FACING THE KNICKS

1. Will they still stink?

It won't be as odious as last year, but only because it would be impossible to match that level of rank ineptitude. Everyone has an incentive to try hard and play well. The incentive, of course, is to prove that last year's disaster was all Larry Brown's fault.

2. Can Isiah Thomas revive Stephon Marbury?

If he's physically able, Marbury could have a big year under Isiah. Marbury respects Thomas as a former player (who was better than he is), and as a coach (because he will do everything he can to prove that trading for Marbury was the right move). Steph knows that if Isiah can't coach him, everyone will say no one can.

3. Can Marbury and Steve Francis coexist?

They didn't look good together over a brief period last season, so why would they look good this year? Oh, right, because Brown, the Hall of Fame coach, is gone. Thomas can draw on his experience playing alongside Joe Dumars for all those years, but that tandem was a lot better than these two. Watch out for the big two-guards on defense.

4. Will Jared Jeffries make a difference?

They desperately need a role player, a defender, a rebounder and a diplomat in the locker room. He'll be huge.

5. If they start slow, will they give up on Isiah?

The players know Thomas is a potential lame duck. If they start slowly and it starts to look like he's gone, it will be very difficult for him to get them to listen.

FIVE THINGS TO EXPECT

1. The Knicks will be better.

It's not saying much, because how could they possibly be worse? But look for this team to play harder for Thomas and to compete. Jeffries helps, too.

2. Chants of "Fire Isiah."

Owner James Dolan has already let it be known that Thomas is in danger if the team doesn't improve, so why should the fans show patience?

3. Thomas makes it work

Isiah will survive because the team will look markedly better than it did last year, and Dolan's standard of "significant improvement" is vague.

4. Lovefest with the new coach

The players are all going to gush ad nauseam about how great a coach Isiah is, and you'll hear this a thousand times before Thanksgiving: "We all know our roles now."

5. Off-the-court troubles

Anucha Browne Sanders, a former Garden executive, filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against Thomas and Madison Square Garden in January and it is hanging over the franchise.

FIVE PLAYERS TO WATCH

Eddy Curry.

Last year was a big disappointment under Brown. This year we discover who he really is.

Jamal Crawford.

He was one of the most improved players in the league last year, and deserves to be on the floor, especially at buzzer time.

Steve Francis.

Crawford is going to need minutes and it could get crowded.

Channing Frye.

He started so strong and then faded when teams figured out his shot. Did he expand his game over the summer?

Nate Robinson.

He's fun to watch.

ON THE HOT SEAT

ISIAH THOMAS

The owner put him there, so we won't quibble. Taking over a team that won only 23 games is hard enough, but Thomas only has three years of experience on the bench. Not only does he have a mandate from the owner hanging over his head, he also has the lawsuit to contend with as well. Thomas' career and reputation are on the line, and everyone knows it.

Source: Star Ledger

Toons

is the Bo$$
nice report, i agree with that tho, im really optimistic about this season. i say 40 wins this season

Allen

Benchwarmer
I'm cautiously optimistic about this season. Let's see if Isiah can control his players.

Isiah Thomas is not Joe Torre.
James "garage band retard" Dolan is most certaintly not George Steinbrenner.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Eddy Curry and Francis are the two unknowns here and they could determine how we do this season...let's just hope Eddy is in shape...

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Great report! I agree 100%. This will be a great year for the Knicks by comparison to last year. Bad news for those that hate Thomas. He ant going nowhere! I honestly believe that most of the members of this site could have coached this team better than Brown did last year. Many common sense mistakes were made. Not to rehash all of that but expect Marbry(Starbury) to take over. I'm expecting a great year from him and I think he as well as Curry are the keys to the Knicks success. Remember he is currently the best scorer on the team. As far as the big SG's, no one can really take the top guards one on one. It's going to be a team affart stopping Labron and D. Wade so I'm not as concerned about one on one play.

brooklyn_baller

Benchwarmer
Q.1 - No they would, they have good motavation
Q.2 - Stepon stated that Isiah was his favorite player growing. Now, don't you think he'll listen to Isiah.
Q.3 - I think with some good coaching the will.
Q.4 - At the 3 spot, I think he'll do fine.
Q.5 - Well if he do, the fans will know to not trust him anymore and will want him fired.

Allen

Benchwarmer
The best case scenario for this season would be 8th seed in the playoffs then we will be crushed by first seed Miami, but at least we will make the playoffs.