The starting line up as been named.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/05/sports/basketball/05knicks.html?ref=basketball

According to NYTimes Isiah Thomas has named a starting rotation. As most of us expected, Marbury and Francis will start in the backcourt, Jared Jefferies and Frye will start as forwards and Curry is the starting center. Second unit includes Robinson and Jamal Crawford in the backcourt, with Richardson and Lee at forward. Guess every one else is assed out. I really want to see what these guys can do together will a full season. Seems to me like the chemistry is there. As Curry was struggling with is laps it's reported that David Lee and Quinton Richardson slowed down to Curry's speed as a show of support. Hopefully we can see the same chemistry between Francis and Marbury.

brooklyn_baller

Benchwarmer
That would be a starting lineup. Except, Jared Jeffries starting at the 3 spot. I think Quentin Richardson would be better starting that position.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
That would prolly be a bad idea since Q-Rich's D isn't up to par like Jeffries. Plus it'll stabilize our backcourt since we have francis and marbury needing alot of shots. Besides, I think Q-Rich is better coming off the bench for us anyways...

Pedro De Pacas

Benchwarmer
donchris said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/05/sports/basketball/05knicks.html?ref=basketball

According to NYTimes Isiah Thomas has named a starting rotation. As most of us expected, Marbury and Francis will start in the backcourt, Jared Jefferies and Frye will start as forwards and Curry is the starting center. Second unit includes Robinson and Jamal Crawford in the backcourt, with Richardson and Lee at forward. Guess every one else is assed out. I really want to see what these guys can do together will a full season.

I don't like the idea of a starting backcourt Marbury/Francis, but as long as both players are on the roster, there is no other way. Let's hope the prove me wrong and make it work.

The two line-ups mentioned in the article above don't look bad to me. It's important for our young players to get minutes.
But what will happen with JRose. If there won't be any trades or buyouts, I don't think he'll warm up the bench until his contract has expired.

I'd rather see him shipped out for another center.

Toons

is the Bo$$
i like what isiah is doing. he did somehting a month before the season, something brown couldnt get right for 82 games. now the starting lineup will have time to gel and perfect their game as a unit.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
I think that this all makes sense. The starting team is more of a traditional half-court pound the ball set. Jeffries makes sense on this lineup because of his defense, in particular shot blocking, and the presumption that, while none of the starters is a great rebounder, three 6-11 players aught to be able to manage.

The second team will preseumeably have the best two rebounders, Lee and James, and (except for James) be able to run the court. Lee's court sense and passing should also help get the break started. QRich could also be used to spot up for threes on the break, if the defense manages to get back to the rim. Occasionally, they may try Jeffries and/or Frye for a small-ball 2nd team that can really run the court.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Yeah I like this for two reasons, one we have a defined starting lineup. Something we never clinched last season under Brown.. that a statement in its own right. Then you have a good mix on that lineup. Stephon and Francis who can both bring up the ball (hell even Jeffries can) and score on will, then Jeffries and his D and Frye/Curry to bigs that can also score. Not to mention a 6'11, 6'11, 6'11 front court. Pretty crazy.

Now as for the rotation I think the forward/centers is already decided. That's why Maurice wanted out (along with a few other reasons). We werent going to use him nor even for trade purposes so why have him sit there and be a cancer?

I think you'll see James/Lee/M.Rose all play. and the amount M.Rose plays will be based on James play. I really like M.Rose btw, not so much his ball playing but his leadership and professional like mentality. He is someone this team needs and I hope he isnt trade. Because even sitting the bench he'll be a plus.

The backcourt is a little more difficult I think Collins (and whoever we sign) along with Jalen Rose will get the least amount of minutes. Rose is a sitting contract at the moment and even though a close friend to Isiah I'm not sure his status.

In the least well have an exciting year. With a qualified team. I think we should expect one more signing and one more trade within the upcoming months though. Only time will tell

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I'm lovin this backcourt...if Francis gets back to his old ways then we're a team on fire. There's no ifs about marbury...Marbury will return, his game went a lil sour under LB but now that Isiah will give Marbury his freedom, Marbury will return to his dominant days. I can forsee an offensive powerhouse already in this team...it's the defense that has to show up to turn into wins.

Allen

Benchwarmer
The defense is what troubles me about the lineup. Curry and Frye are not exactly known for their shock-blocking ability and interior defense. Jerome James is a mess.
I actually don't like Francis starting, that should be Crawford's spot. He earned it with his steller play last season. Francis on the other hand, hasn't done anything to deserve a starting spot. He should be on the bench and be made to earn a starting spot like Crawford did.

Yeah we will be running and gunning this time but the problem is our pg's name is marbury, not Kidd or Nash.

Not to be a pessimist but I still have reservations about how this group can deal with the powerhouses of the east, like Detroit, Ben Wallace in Chicago, Lebron in Cleveland, Shaq and Wade in Miami, Jermaine O'neil in Indiana, and the Nets.

Last edited:

Ewing33

Benchwarmer
I really don't get too excited about an announced lineup prior to even the first preseason game...once we see the backcourt together...once we see how Frye has improved...once we see that Curry is in better shape...once we see that the bench can play...then we talk.

Also, I am more interested in who is on the court at the end of the game not the start...remember, it was Crawford who took most of the big shots last year...Starting Francis to start him is fine...but will he be there when it matters????

Also, is anyone else impressed by Crawford watching all of last season's games???? More and more he seems like the kind of guy you want as a face of the organization...heck, maybe he'll come out with a $12 shoe.....

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Starting lineup does not matter, except as motivational carrot. What I did not like about Brown was 40 min one night DNP the next - especially with young developing players. If all 12 active players get at least 10 min a night and no one gets over 30 min unless they are in-the-zone on-fire, then I will be happy. Knick strength is depth, not dominant starting five - play to your strength.

There is no excuse for a lack of defensive intensity and team play if you are only playing 20 minutes. Also, injuries limit team depth, which contradicts the way the team is built. The way to stay healthy is consistency of minutes.

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
my starting 5 would look like this...

pg-marbury
sg-crawford
sf-david lee
pf-jeffries
c-curry

backd up by...
pg-collins/robinson
sg-francis/richardson
sf-balkman/jalen rose
pf-frye
c- paul miller?

we obviously need to trade a guard for a worthy backup center. from what i saw in the summer league paul miller looks like the best candidate for backup but i dont know if he's ready to play with the big boys. right now we have 7 guys who could play a guard position. thats ridiculous. i dont know why we waived mo taylor instead of malik rose. and why did we sign all theze no name players and leave qyntel woods as a free agent? isiah has some organizing to do b4 this season starts.

NYKnicks15

Starter
First off.. David Lee is way too slow to guard SF's. Look at last year. And youd choose Collins to be the first PG off the bench over Robinson?..

Also we didnt sign Qyntel Woods for a plethera of reasons. One, we are not in need of a SF at this time. Also what would be the point in signing him (which would cost good money since he is technically a vet) when we can sign four guys for cheap.

We waived Mo Taylor because Mo Taylor (besides for being not as good as Malik Rose) was an expiring contract. Malik has two years on his. Rose also is a leader and a professional at all times unlike Taylor who is lazy and a cancer in the lockerroom.

I think that the players should earn their playing time, it shouldnt be handed to them on a silver platter. David Lee and Channing Frye are Blue Collared, hard workers who acctually earn their playing time. With the exceptions of a few others, there arent too many people who work hard enough to play. When I watch Eddy Curry, Steve Francis, Stephon Marbury, I see absolutly no desire and heart. All I see is money signs in there eyes, while their wondering when their next paycheck is coming in. I remmember a game last year, a fan shouted to Francis during a blowout- "Where You going steve"- Steve Smiled and replyed- "To the BANK"- We dont need these attitudes and lack of desire to win on our team