SI sees the Knicks only on 13th place

TrueBlue20

Benchwarmer
Hope the Knicks are reading this article. I know Isiah doesn't feel that the roster is the problem with the knicks and they need to go out and show that. I definitely believe that Knicks will do a lot better than they did last season. They are already starting to believe in themselves. This season we'll see how far that belief will go.

Does people actually believe that the Knicks won't do better than the Raptors or Bobcats with this roster?

Enfo

Rookie
Wow I thought you ment 13th in the league at first, and I was gonna say thats realistic....

but 13th in the east? wow....

I think they ranked Utah a little high too. And why are the lakers in 7th ahead of the Kings? Kobe cant carry that team that far on his own. VladRad isnt gonna help THAT much.

BallHead

Benchwarmer
Keeping Teams under 95

I believe that the Knicks can definitely make the playoffs if they pay close attention to D-Fense. They must make it a goal to hold teams to no more than 95 points. We will never have the the stifiling "D" as in the Ewing era (holding opponents to 86 pts) we just don't have those types of players. However we do have a versatile offfense. We can run and we can score in half-court. I happen to agree with the legends (Zeke, Magic, MJ, Bird) that a good offense can always beat a good defense. The problem is that offense is not always reliable. Remember, last year our problem was not offense, it was defense. With our high-octane style the only way we can give ourselves a chance to win is to limit the opponents ability to outscore us.

Lets face it, we do not have prolific shot blockers and we do not have monster rebounders. With the speed and quickness of the players I think that we'll see great results in making steals and forcing turnovers. Perhaps These are the stats to watch during the seasons which will give us a good indication of how the team is doing.

Offense- Free throw Points, Fast break points, points in the paint
Defense- Turnovers committed, Fouls committed, steals made

Ewing33

Benchwarmer
The whole SI ranking system seemed a bit odd...heck Knicks' fans can be ticked off...but the Celtics were picked even lower...that seems hard to believe at this point...I don't think that those are 2 of the 3 worst teams in the East...I actually think both will contend for the playoffs...with the Celtics having even a better shot than the Knicks.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
especially after last nights game at mohegan sun which i was unfortunately at, the celtics looked real good and they have a lead with pierce where as the knicks dont really have a clear best player. I think my expectations were to high for the knicks and i think theyll win around 35 games now, improving as the season continues. I thnk they need 1 more year before they're clearly a playoff team but as for right now im in a deep state of depression after seein the knicks get destroyed by the celtics in my first game ever even though it was only a preseason game. The celtics will probably be the #8 team in the east and the knicks will be #10, not 13 i dont think theyre that bad.

nba_fan

Rookie
I dont think the SI prediction is that far off. This is the same team as last year just a different coach. Everyone in the league says that we are one of the most talented teams on paper...and thats the thing. Our chemistry is horrible and that starts and ends with Isiah. Most things I read about this season see us towards the bottom of the east.

Dont get me wrong. We will be better then last year but that might be by only 10 or so games. Playoffs wont be in sight. Not with teams like the Raptors and Magic getting better.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
but do you think the team brown had was worse compared to the one herb and lenny had?

nba_fan

Rookie
Here is another review of the knicks from foxsports...

The guards: Even though Stephon Marbury will be totally coddled by his new coach, sooner or later Starbury will revert to his habitual me-first attitude. His main sidekick will be Steve Francis, who, like Marbury, is useless without the ball; and who, like Marbury, is unreliable in the clutch. The backup point guard is the energetic, but wild, Nate Robinson, who has no idea how to run an offense. Jamal Crawford is a dynamic scorer who's dependable, and who's the only backcourtsman with any defensive chops. Together these guys comprise an unwieldy group whose respective talents and flaws are distressingly similar.

The forwards: Channing Frye is an active baseline scorer, an adequate rebounder, a subpar passer and a soft defender. David Lee is all hustle and all foul trouble. To be effective, Quentin Richardson needs many more minutes than he'll receive. If newly signed Jared Jeffries can't even score when playing one-on-none, he can effectively defend shooting guards, small forwards and the occasional power forward. Too bad he can't guard all three positions at the same time.

The centers: Eddy Curry's post-up moves are unparalleled, and he can even drop an occasional short jumper. But passing, running, rebounding and avoiding foul trouble are all aspects of the game that have eluded him. Malik Rose plays earnest defense, but the rest of his game is a distant memory. Jerome James has stolen more money from the Knicks than Jesse James did from Wells Fargo.

The outlook: The combination of Isiah Thomas' enthusiasm and blarney will keep his team motivated for a while. But it'll take more than motivation to keep this fatally ill-designed and therefore dysfunctional team afloat. If Zeke can't push, prod, cajole, threaten and/or con this team into winning at least 10 more games than they did under Larry Brown's misogynistic misguidance last season, then Thomas is history.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6052392

Pedro De Pacas

Benchwarmer
The forwards: Channing Frye is an active baseline scorer, an adequate rebounder, a subpar passer and a soft defender. David Lee is all hustle and all foul trouble. To be effective, Quentin Richardson needs many more minutes than he'll receive. If newly signed Jared Jeffries can't even score when playing one-on-none, he can effectively defend shooting guards, small forwards and the occasional power forward. Too bad he can't guard all three positions at the same time.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6052392

This last sentence is so damn true, Jeffries is the only defender in our starting line-up.

I don't see the current roster finish this season, I really hope, we'll find some other GM who's stupid enough to trade some value for J.Rose and/or Francis

IcEWaTEr123

Benchwarmer
si does not know wat they r talking about every sport they always get it wrong football, basketball, baseball, hockey they r always wrong

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
As a Knicks fan I've got to say their prediction is all wrong. A real fan would hope that their team makes the play offs but realisticly if the Knicks do not they will be close. Close meaining seed position 9-11. So in my opinion S.I. has a 4 point margin of error. I say no less than 9-11 because off looking at the 8 teams that will likily make it to the play offs.

Heat
Nets
Pistons
Bulls
Pacers

I believe spots 6-8 are up for grabs. Could be Orlando, Boston, Philly or NY. That Bucks shit was a flook and don't exect to see it happen again. The Cavs are over rated. #3 is way to high of a ranking for them. I also don't see the Nets reaching the #2 spot over the Pistons.

Last edited:

alonreppinNY23

Benchwarmer
ahahaha ... we gonna get respect this year ...

paper ... in this case ... the internet dont mean anything ...

all this scoutin stuff is whack ...

knicks will make the playoffs ... and show that they werent wat they were last year

... no doubt ... =]

steve francis is lookin good ... he finally just playin basketball .. and wen starbury and francis get that goin ... we gonna be good ...

and are big men ... have great potnetial ... knicks gonna be very successful this year ...

o yea baby !!! ... =]

TDotRaptors

Rookie
They are bad, no offense. They havent changed there roster at all this summer. They only drafted one player, that renald baulkman guy. hes no good.

JamesM

Benchwarmer
Think the knicks will just about make it..JUST,8th seed.I dont think we ll really get a good indication of how good the knicks are until late deacember/early january.The first few weeks of the season we have a really tough schedule against some of the top teams,most of these games are on the road too.With jeffries injured its gonna be pretty much the same team as last years for the first few weeks with either lee or balkman filling in at the 3. Bottom line,SI is wrong,knicks goin to the playoffs.