Who should be traded?

metrocard

Legend
the sun's are one of the 'elite' teams, that maybe have enough to take it all. if they make a trade , it is to put them over the top.. do u think that getting rid of barbosa and diaw for nate and frye makes em better?? i don't, so why make the trade if u are the suns???

Yes, I understand Suns are one of the elite teams in the NBA. If you think about it, Fyre on the Suns would spread the court more, and add what the Suns been needing, a big man who can shoot. Nash and Fyre on the pick and roll would be deadly and benefit them. Plus, ever since Amare has arrived, Diaw hasn't played like the Diaw of last year, many people think Diaw and Amare can't play that well together. So Fyre will help their frontcourt dept and he will play better since he will always be open with Amare and Marion, two fowards who score 20+ a game. I think Suns will still be more elite, Robinson can easily replace Barbosa's role, considering how Nate loves to play a fast tempo, plus they get a first rounder. Also we have to consider Coleangelo isn't the GM of the Suns no more, so who knows. Its just a suggestion from me, because Barbosa and Diaw are two guys I've been wanting on this team for the last 3 years.

Barbosa
Richardson
Diaw
Lee
Curry

Thats a LEGIT crew.

paris401

Starter
Yes, I understand Suns are one of the elite teams in the NBA. If you think about it, Fyre on the Suns would spread the court more, and add what the Suns been needing, a big man who can shoot. Nash and Fyre on the pick and roll would be deadly and benefit them. Plus, ever since Amare has arrived, Diaw hasn't played like the Diaw of last year, many people think Diaw and Amare can't play that well together. So Fyre will help their frontcourt dept and he will play better since he will always be open with Amare and Marion, two fowards who score 20+ a game. I think Suns will still be more elite, Robinson can easily replace Barbosa's role, considering how Nate loves to play a fast tempo, plus they get a first rounder. Also we have to consider Coleangelo isn't the GM of the Suns no more, so who knows. Its just a suggestion from me, because Barbosa and Diaw are two guys I've been wanting on this team for the last 3 years.

Barbosa
Richardson
Diaw
Lee
Curry

Thats a LEGIT crew.

you may be rite, , tho when i look at the suns, their 'weakness' , is on interior ' D ', which frye would not offer a solution.
with their offence, big ben wallace mite have been a fit...

paris401

Starter
Knicks have to trade Jeffries and Francis

I.T. will never trade jefferies... he made too much of getting him over the summer to turn around and say oops... i made a mistake...

as to francis... he is a knick till feb of 08... when someone will take him for cap relief...ofcourse if I.T. is still here, he will probably trade him for someone equally inept, but with a longer term contract...

reckoning

Benchwarmer
i don't think it would necessarily be terrible if nate got traded. it really all depends on what happens when he comes back from his forced vacation. he's young, passionate, talented, and a spark plug, but if he continues to play foolishly then he needs to go.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Knicks have to trade Jeffries and Francis

I think that this roster needs a total overhaul! All the players on the knicks, as individuals, are talented and could help other teams, they just don't work on the Knicks because all their styles are too smiliar and do not mix well. I would see what it would take to get KG. That would be my first move as GM. KG's contract is huge so Minni would have to take either Marbury or Frances in the deal just to meet the money for the trade. Unless the Knicks unloaded half the roster, but why would minni want all those players when it is obvious that they can't win as a unit, so they would want only specific players along with expiring contracts anf future picks, I would think. I do not think the Knicks has what it takes to get KG. So, that being said, if the Knicks started to make moves they would need to address specific needs of their own. Like, a dominate low post defender and a guard that can defend. They also need a 3 that plays D as well.
Jeffries to the suns for Raja Bell is one that I think would make sense for both teams. The Knicks would get a dominate defender in the back court, a guard that is D first but could knock down a 3 if need. Bell also is a great team player and good in the lock room. The Suns would get a 6'10" swing man that can defend the perimiter and down low. This also gives the Suns the ability to change up their lineup to match a bigger team. They could move Diaw to the 2 guard spot, Marion to the 3 and bring in Jeffires to play the 4. Now the Suns can go big or small depending on the matchup. This is the type of move that would push the Suns over the top.

I would see if I could get Atlanta to make this deal: Josh Smith for Channing Frye and a future pick (if needed to make the trade). This would address the Knicks need for a 3 that can defend and break down the D in the low post. Atlanta would get a big man that can run the floor and can stretch the D with his ability to hit from 16 feet plus. Frye is young so he would fit right in and Childress can play the 3.

Move Lee to the starting 4 positiion and try to land another 4 either with the draft or using Crawford and/or Richardson to trade for a 4. With Curry in the middle, they do not need another offensive minded big man. I would see if we could get Eaton Thomas from Washington for either player. I might even be interested in Zach Randolf from Portland or see if Mempis is looking to dump Gasol, but if they were you would need Frye in the deal to get him and that would negate the Atlanta trade. In that case you make it and maybe start Balkman to see if that works or keep starting Richardson. But, Gasol is highly unlikly so it is not really an option.

Last edited:
I think that all of the above propositions are good ideas. But doesn't this whole overhaul of the roster thing sound a bit familiar...it's almost like Isiah has done it before...oh wait, he has. And it hasn't worked at all.

You guys are going to think I am crazy, but if I were in charge, i would seriously do nothing. Wait for all of the bums' contracts to expire (but sign Lee and Frye, maybe Nate and Balkman to relatively inexpensive long-term contracts). It will take 2-3 years, but we don't have any realistic chance to rebuild unless we do it--right now our only hope is that Isiah will draft a superstar (which he already has done with other teams, and we might have 1 or 2 in the making right now). It just seems that with every trade and free-agent signing, we take a step back. I think it's time for something a bit different.

What do you think? I know it's crazy...don't be afraid to totally trash this argument.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I think that all of the above propositions are good ideas. But doesn't this whole overhaul of the roster thing sound a bit familiar...it's almost like Isiah has done it before...oh wait, he has. And it hasn't worked at all.

You guys are going to think I am crazy, but if I were in charge, i would seriously do nothing. Wait for all of the bums' contracts to expire (but sign Lee and Frye, maybe Nate and Balkman to relatively inexpensive long-term contracts). It will take 2-3 years, but we don't have any realistic chance to rebuild unless we do it--right now our only hope is that Isiah will draft a superstar (which he already has done with other teams, and we might have 1 or 2 in the making right now). It just seems that with every trade and free-agent signing, we take a step back. I think it's time for something a bit different.

What do you think? I know it's crazy...don't be afraid to totally trash this argument.

I agree with you. It's not like setting up a team in a video game. Even if we got some top notch players it will take time for them to gain chemistry. Trading Jeffries is a bad idea. He and Richardson are the only ones that play D so why trade them. That being said I am not totally against trading for the right player.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I agree with you. It's not like setting up a team in a video game. Even if we got some top notch players it will take time for them to gain chemistry. Trading Jeffries is a bad idea. He and Richardson are the only ones that play D so why trade them. That being said I am not totally against trading for the right player.

I'm not sure about the video game comment but my suggestions were based on what I have seen so far this year and the last season as well. The Knicks are week at the spots I brought up and if you keep the roster the way it is, we will be in for 3-4 years of misery!! The Knicks ca not just sit back and try to get under the cap, it's just not a feesable way to go. I feel my suggestions would really improve the quality of the team and the play. It has nothing to do with video games or anything else.

metrocard

Legend
I think that this roster needs a total overhaul! All the players on the knicks, as individuals, are talented and could help other teams, they just don't work on the Knicks because all their styles are too smiliar and do not mix well. I would see what it would take to get KG. That would be my first move as GM. KG's contract is huge so Minni would have to take either Marbury or Frances in the deal just to meet the money for the trade. Unless the Knicks unloaded half the roster, but why would minni want all those players when it is obvious that they can't win as a unit, so they would want only specific players along with expiring contracts anf future picks, I would think. I do not think the Knicks has what it takes to get KG. So, that being said, if the Knicks started to make moves they would need to address specific needs of their own. Like, a dominate low post defender and a guard that can defend. They also need a 3 that plays D as well.
Jeffries to the suns for Raja Bell is one that I think would make sense for both teams. The Knicks would get a dominate defender in the back court, a guard that is D first but could knock down a 3 if need. Bell also is a great team player and good in the lock room. The Suns would get a 6'10" swing man that can defend the perimiter and down low. This also gives the Suns the ability to change up their lineup to match a bigger team. They could move Diaw to the 2 guard spot, Marion to the 3 and bring in Jeffires to play the 4. Now the Suns can go big or small depending on the matchup. This is the type of move that would push the Suns over the top.

I would see if I could get Atlanta to make this deal: Josh Smith for Channing Frye and a future pick (if needed to make the trade). This would address the Knicks need for a 3 that can defend and break down the D in the low post. Atlanta would get a big man that can run the floor and can stretch the D with his ability to hit from 16 feet plus. Frye is young so he would fit right in and Childress can play the 3.

Move Lee to the starting 4 positiion and try to land another 4 either with the draft or using Crawford and/or Richardson to trade for a 4. With Curry in the middle, they do not need another offensive minded big man. I would see if we could get Eaton Thomas from Washington for either player. I might even be interested in Zach Randolf from Portland or see if Mempis is looking to dump Gasol, but if they were you would need Frye in the deal to get him and that would negate the Atlanta trade. In that case you make it and maybe start Balkman to see if that works or keep starting Richardson. But, Gasol is highly unlikly so it is not really an option.

We see eye to eye, but Raja Bell plays 35 minutes in Phoneix, he fits perfectly in that system, I wish we could have Raja Bell.

Thats the problem. We don't have any Raja Bell's. We have alot of Steve Francis' and Marbury's. Alot of medicore big men with terrible interior defensive game, besides Lee who's improving.

I'm open to trade everyone except Lee. I would like to keep Q-Rich, he doesn't do anything TERRIBLE, but nothing great.

Here's my agruement with Curry. His scoring is dominant, his rebounding has great improved, he LOOKS way more athletic this year than last year. But I can't LIVE with the fact that our leading scoring is a 16 ppg center who averages almost 3.5 turnovers a game. Thats not GOOD production or efficency. Any big man or foward 16 points per game should average 2 turnovers are most. The ammount of touches result in alot of points and turnovers. That means whenever our primary option scores, the other team gets an opportunity for a shot attempt. Usually the team with the most shot attempts has the better chance to win the GAME. I'm all about winning here, I'm a Knicks fan, I want to win games. I don't care if we don't get a superstar in a trade like a Kevin Garnett. I just want a core group of players who can help us WIN. Guys like Raja Bell and etc.

I don't know if we ever could get Raja Bell, or Josh Smith with the players on this team, but I'm going to hope management gets changed up first, then I could put more faith into better transaction for my team, more SMARTER moves, you know what I'm saying?

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
You are so right! This team has NO cohesion and it shows. I also felt that the guys I mentioned in the trade (Jeffries and Frye) are the only players that have value. Crawford has value and a team that is looking to get a long range shooter to pair up with a Big man would be interested in him... Like Minni or Houston even. Crawfor could be a great 6th man on the right team. The Suns could prosper with out Bell, they have in the past and they have an abundance of awesome perimiter players, what they do not have are big guys. That's why I thought the Jeffires for Bell was a good trade for both teams. I would sweeten the pot with another player to get the deal done. Again, Atlanta has Childress, JJ, Williams... They could use a 6"11' presence like Frye. He would also fit in with the team so well.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I'm not sure about the video game comment but my suggestions were based on what I have seen so far this year and the last season as well. The Knicks are week at the spots I brought up and if you keep the roster the way it is, we will be in for 3-4 years of misery!! The Knicks ca not just sit back and try to get under the cap, it's just not a feesable way to go. I feel my suggestions would really improve the quality of the team and the play. It has nothing to do with video games or anything else.

I didn't mean the comment as an insult but if you are talking about a total over haul, depending on what you mean by over haul, you're talking about rebuilding again. If this is what you mean then you and I have fundamentally different points of view. I don't think we have a bad team. There is a lot of room for improvement but the core is good and we have the best bench in the league. Curry is improving and I believe he will continue to do so. We've got good shooters in Richardson and Crawford. I'd move out the guards. As many as we can, bring in an old school PG like Fisher or Billips who becomes available after this year, and move Marbury to SG. This is a recycled idea I know but we all know he can score. I'd rather have him scoring then passing the ball.

metrocard

Legend
I didn't mean the comment as an insult but if you are talking about a total over haul, depending on what you mean by over haul, you're talking about rebuilding again. If this is what you mean then you and I have fundamentally different points of view. 1. I don't think we have a bad team. 2. There is a lot of room for improvement but the core is good and we have the best bench in the league. Curry is improving and I believe he will continue to do so. We've got 3. good shooters in Richardson and Crawford. I'd move out the guards. 4.As many as we can, bring in an old school PG like Fisher or Billips who becomes available after this year, and 5. move Marbury to SG. This is a recycled idea I know but we all know he can score. I'd rather have him scoring then passing the ball.

1. We're 13-21.
2. We're over the salary cap until 2008.
3. Crawford is shooting under 40% and 30% from 3pt. He has a good jumpshot, but terrible shot selection, which makes him an awful shooter.
4. We have no cap space, we can't acquire Billups or Fisher.
5. Sorry, Marbury can't play SG, defensively or offensively. His position is PG, Marbury produces best when he's dominating the ball and driving to the basket. We average 99 points on a mentally retarded offense, scoring isn't the problem, we need defense.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Defense won't be the cure all to this team. As you can see we funk up the place real quickly. This is a young team...real young team so first a defensive mentality has to develop in a predominately offensive minded team. Secondly chemistry must develop which is hard to do with all these injuries. Third, we must assign roles...everyone on the team can't average 20 pts a game...somebody must adjust there self-determined role into a role-player such as what steve tried to do. This is no quick fix, but I see what you all trying to say. Patience is a hard thing to grasp but that's the only thing that I can say is patience. Because if we fire Isiah then there is a big chance that this situation might get worst and the next GM will try to make "his team" ship all the bad contracts to worst and we might be in a more disaster in the future than now. Spare isiah...he's the only one that can lead this roster...

metrocard

Legend
Defense won't be the cure all to this team. As you can see we funk up the place real quickly. This is a young team...real young team so first a defensive mentality has to develop in a predominately offensive minded team. Secondly chemistry must develop which is hard to do with all these injuries. Third, we must assign roles...everyone on the team can't average 20 pts a game...somebody must adjust there self-determined role into a role-player such as what steve tried to do. This is no quick fix, but I see what you all trying to say. Patience is a hard thing to grasp but that's the only thing that I can say is patience. Because if we fire Isiah then there is a big chance that this situation might get worst and the next GM will try to make "his team" ship all the bad contracts to worst and we might be in a more disaster in the future than now. Spare isiah...he's the only one that can lead this roster...

No. I like your post, but I don't see where you get this big chance of the situation will get worse, unless we hire somebody worst than Isiah. I can't really imagine anyone worse than Isiah, seriously thats mentally impossible. It hurts my head thinking about it.

metrocard

Legend
haha LB beat you to the punch

Heh, last year was depressing. The players didn't look happy at all. I'm just feeling more comfortable the players are happy playing under Thomas. But nothing hasn't changed, we don't play defense and we turn the ball over. I could brag though we're the best rebounding team in the league, hopefully we hold on to that title and build from that. We need to establish a role in the NBA. Spurs have their role of fundamental team work and team defense. Suns have their role of fast tempo European styled basketball. Lakers have their triangle offense and their scoring phenom. We're a great rebounding team, lets BUILD off that. Every team in the NBA is going to have some weaknesses, but the elite teams have elite strengths. Lets be elite at something.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
You said it. We're the best rebounding team in the league...that right there says in itself that we have potential in doing something great. And you said it again that we need to play defense and lower TOs. That sounds like a plan to me lol. And you're right again...we do need a style. I'm not the guy to say what that is just yet since we have no identity but since we're a rebounding team I say it would have to be something gritty. 5 star post man. I agree 100%. But don't you think that we can develop that with Isiah in the equation?

metrocard

Legend
You said it. We're the best rebounding team in the league...that right there says in itself that we have potential in doing something great. And you said it again that we need to play defense and lower TOs. That sounds like a plan to me lol. And you're right again...we do need a style. I'm not the guy to say what that is just yet since we have no identity but since we're a rebounding team I say it would have to be something gritty. 5 star post man. I agree 100%. But don't you think that we can develop that with Isiah in the equation?

Indeed. Isiah is a perfect coach for this team cause he's a coach who doesn't practice defense and he's coaching a team who doesn't like to play defense. But defense isn't our biggest problem, turnovers is what kills us. If we averaged 14 turnovers a game, we would be a couple of games over .500. I believe in other to do this, we must keep one of the four. Robinson, Marbury, Crawford, or Francis. Or even have it your way, cause I know you're a support of these guys, we could keep Robinson cause he's cheap, and try keep one of the 3 headed monster between Jamal Steve and Steph. We could move Fyre for Artest and Have a line up of any of the guys I just listed at point, Richardson at the 2, Artest at the 3, Lee at the 4 and Curry at the 5. I honestly would be thrilled and have trust in Isiah. But I doubt that will happend because Isiah has a very big ego and he's not going to trade Fyre, even if it did benefit us, thats just Isiah.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I wouldn't mind that trade at all. We need artest on the knicks. Isiah has an ego but I don't think he's stubborn enough to deny a trade for artest only giving up frye and one of the guards you mentioned. He's not going to miss a chance to improve his team to championship caliber and getting artest is a step in the right direction.