Racist Press still has it in for Isiah

paris401

Starter
I watched "Outside the Lines" a couple of Sunday's ago on the topic of guns in sports and it showed some white baseball player for the Astros (sorry I forget his name) that has a concealed gun permit. Dude is packing all the time for his own "protection." Protection from what??? This cat isn't from a rough neighboorhood or walking around with bling worth $$$$$. No reference of "thug" was made in the piece. He was just a good ole' boy with a gun. Same time here in the Chi-town Tank Johnson( d-line man for the Bears) gets his crib raided "Belly" style. What was the reason??? He had guns in his house while being on probation for another gun charge, even though the " Right to Bear Arms" is a constitutional gaurentee. The difference is black people were not protected by the constitution until 1964. That's barely 40 years ago folks. In all that time racism became institutionalized and racist attitudes shape people's perception. Its the same reason why when Larry Johnson called out the Chiefs offense he was a malcontent, but when Tom Brady called out his teamates he's "being a leader." Same actions, different perceptions. Being a minority and the baggage that comes with it is a fact of life, not a card that's merely played out of convenience. That "race card "term wouldn't even exist anymore if O.J. was sitting in jail somewhere.

same action, but different places.... no big thing to pack in texas, but not so in chicago...

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Wow this turned out to be a hot topic. There are two different issues here. One is the NBA rules and the media response to the scuffle and the other is Isiah Thomas as a coach. I do not think the media is after Isiah because he's black as the subject title suggests. I do think the media hyped this story up because there is no news worthy stories going on right now. This in it's self is a real problem because people die every day but you may notice that the lives of certain people appear to be more news worthy than others. Example: White woman goes missing and it's on every news channel. Other people go missing and you don't hear a damn thing.

I was surprised to see this fight on CNN and MSNBC because frankly it's not that big of a deal. I believe the real person at fault here is David Stern. He mishandled this situation by suggesting that those that get into small fights would not have a long NBA career and suggested that there is some kind of need for him to do more as far as fines goes. Like the fine isn't enough! By doing or saying this David Stern made this situation bigger than it really was, further hyping up the hype. What Stern should have said is "We do not condone the actions that took place and the players involved well be reprimanded. However this is a competitive sport and disagreements can happen. The NBA is a league of the world's most gifted players and sportsmen and we have one of the cleanest and incident free histories in all of sports." But Stern did not take this path. He made it sound like further action was needed. Like the NBA needs to keep the animals in check and that simply is not true. Fights happen and for some reason its headline news when NBA fights happen but not a big deal when NASCAR chicks fight each other or as mentioned NHL fights, which are out of control but no one seems to get offended by them. I find this very strange. There is clearly a double standard. Any time a double standard exists we should ask our selves WHY. One can say well these are two different leagues. This is true but my argument is not how the leagues handle the situation as it is the media spot light and why people are feeling offended by a small fight. May be there is a sports cultural difference. May be the media is racist. All the stuff about the league getting a black eye is non sense. The league would only have a black eye if this happened on a regular basis or a consistent basis but it does not. It is a single isolated incident and nothing more.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
jimkcchief88 the baseball player you were refering to is in fact Roger Clemons. Yes, Roger Clemons who will be in the hall of fame. Think about this. Ol' Dirty Bastard got sent to prison for marijuana possession. He did seven years. Scott Weiland (Lead Singer of the Stone Temple Pilots & Velvet Revolver) got caught with heroin. Did six months in rehab. With situations like this, people then wonder why the black incarceration rate is so high. Black people are still considered 3/5 of a human by Media and Law Enforcement. They lack the courage to say this, but I judge things by actions, and never words. It's ridiculous to read black men called "Thugs" in a newspaper. It's also highly insulting. I support Isiah, yes partly because he and I are both black. Call it what you want, I like to see black people do well. Usually when I watch the news, they portray the worst of black culture. So to see something positive that is also tangible, is amazing. It's the same reason I want a black quartback to win the superbowl. To show peoplpe a black quaterback can think and win. The saddest part is that Doug Williams won a superbowl as a black quarterback in '87. He had one of the best games in superbowl history in one of the Bowl's most lopsided victories. Funny how the Media never tell you that every sunday. His Game Stats were 18-29 340 Yds. 4 TD passes. You ever hear Joe Buck talk about Williams? Any NFL analyst? Nope. I agree jimkcchief88, that's why when Brett Favre screams at his recievers, he's also a leader. If Terell Owens screams at his QB, he what's wrong with pro sports. To put it simply and to Paraphrase Kanye, THE MEDIA HATES BLACK PEOPLE.

paris401

Starter
no doubt there is media bias... B U T ... comparing 'anyone' to T.O. come on now... doug williams... favre..mcnabb... leaders all of em .. but T.O. wrong guy to pick...

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
This is for the people who use the N-word on this site and thinks it's ok....special shoutout to Metrocard aka you know the rest lol. But seriously check it out. It's ok to be ignorant of a notion of past intellect but to stay ignorant....now that's the atrocity....learn from your mistakes and admit to them because whoever thinks saying the N-word is ok or thinks it's "apart of culture" is ignorant. Whoever thinks saying any racial term because it's "cool" or "hip" or "because everyone else is saying it" or anything similar to the nature is absolutely unquestionably ignorant. This goes for people up north, down in the South, East, West, Black, White, Puerto Rican, Chinese, Japanese, Hispanic, EVERYONE. Let's unite and come closer through this month. Peoples it's time to be enlightened...if you don't want to be ignorant about the N-Word any longer and want to learn something deep and aquire knowledge on African-American history then take the step with me...African History month is coming up and you can never learn too much history...http://www.abolishthenword.com/

Enjoy...

P.S...don't skip the intro...it's the best part of the site...

Kiyaman

Legend
When a site has over 50 to 100 members attending the site two or more games a week, the site will have a few "open-minded" intelligent members who logic allure most members to follow a open-minded discussion.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
As the Grand Poobah initiator of this thread, I have got to say, I am in shock it is still in play.

LOL

:thewave: