Knicks Making Play For Gooden?

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
According to the daily news:
Isiah Thomas keeps saying that the Knicks are unlikely to be players ahead of the trade deadline, but rumors are surfacing that they are showing interest in Drew Gooden, Ruben Patterson and Ron Artest.

I personally feel that these could be potentially great moves DEPENDING on what we have to give up to get them.
Drew Gooden- I would not give up either Frye, Lee or Curry for him. Crawford or Richardson with Draft picks I would do.
Ruben Patterson- You probably don't have to give up much to get him. We could probably sign him for the mid level during the off season.
Ron Artest- I would use one of the young guys; Frye or Lee, to add into the package to land him but ONLY if I was getting Gooden. It doesn't make sence to trade one of the big guys for him and really depleating an already thin fron line.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
If Drew Gooden can be effective being the second sometimes third option on a team where he or someone else is open because LeBron James is ALWAYS doubled, what would he do for the Knicks? He can seemingly handle the pressure of playing in Cleveland, so bring him to the Knicks? This is a trade especially cause it would more than likely involve Frye or Lee, that if it happened, I would want Isiah gone as GM. And read my posts, I've been an IT supporter. That however would be the straw...ya'll know the rest. Patterson plays well, but makes 7.8 Mil, so for a Jeffries we could get him, but he doesn't shoot FT's well, and will want more money next year as his deal is ending. Add in that he's turning 32, I don't know if we should commit big money to a 32 Yr. old. I love Artest. Plain and simple. If we could bring him in that a guy who a stat stuffer! Plus it would be nice if he helped us win instead of hanging one on us like he did a couple times this season. 7.1 Mil this seasonso for Frye and Rose/Jeffries we could get Artest. Here's hoping!!!! C'mon Isiah pull out those Jedi Mind Tricks and make Artest a Knick!

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
If Drew Gooden can be effective being the second sometimes third option on a team where he or someone else is open because LeBron James is ALWAYS doubled, what would he do for the Knicks? He can seemingly handle the pressure of playing in Cleveland, so bring him to the Knicks? This is a trade especially cause it would more than likely involve Frye or Lee, that if it happened, I would want Isiah gone as GM. And read my posts, I've been an IT supporter. That however would be the straw...ya'll know the rest. Patterson plays well, but makes 7.8 Mil, so for a Jeffries we could get him, but he doesn't shoot FT's well, and will want more money next year as his deal is ending. Add in that he's turning 32, I don't know if we should commit big money to a 32 Yr. old. I love Artest. Plain and simple. If we could bring him in that a guy who a stat stuffer! Plus it would be nice if he helped us win instead of hanging one on us like he did a couple times this season. 7.1 Mil this seasonso for Frye and Rose/Jeffries we could get Artest. Here's hoping!!!! C'mon Isiah pull out those Jedi Mind Tricks and make Artest a Knick!

Gooden is a legit rebounder and as far as scoring, with Curry on the floor, he does not have to worry about scoring. I did say in my post, I would not use Frye or Lee to get him. But, Cleveland is not happy with Huges's game and I think they could be interested in Crawford to Flank James. I also believe that we could Patterson for the mid because of his age. If not, who cares if we don't get him. Bringing Gooden and Artest would be a tremendous up grade and this is coming from someone who didn't want Artest originally.

NYKnicks15

Starter
yeah id love to take Gooden in exchange for Frye. i love frye dont get me wrong but hes a scoring shooting big man, we have eddy to score and a David Lee/Drew Gooden combo to play alongside Eddy is what he really really needs. especially since Gooden is such a good defender of big men. a contract or two would have to be included so thats what we should actually be scared of. and i wouldnt give up craw for him because that makes our 2 spot weak.

artest id take in a heart beat. id give up craw & frye for him. i dont care.

regarding Gooden again, they reallllllllly want a PG. If they take francis off our shoulders (sadly alongside frye or better yet Nate) id do it as soon as they said Steve.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
According to the daily news:
Isiah Thomas keeps saying that the Knicks are unlikely to be players ahead of the trade deadline, but rumors are surfacing that they are showing interest in Drew Gooden, Ruben Patterson and Ron Artest.

I personally feel that these could be potentially great moves DEPENDING on what we have to give up to get them.
Drew Gooden- I would not give up either Frye, Lee or Curry for him. Crawford or Richardson with Draft picks I would do.
Ruben Patterson- You probably don't have to give up much to get him. We could probably sign him for the mid level during the off season.
Ron Artest- I would use one of the young guys; Frye or Lee, to add into the package to land him but ONLY if I was getting Gooden. It doesn't make sence to trade one of the big guys for him and really depleating an already thin fron line.

u would trade crawford and a draft pick to get gooden but not frye?! that makes no kind of sense, i just hope jamal is not in that trade for gooden cuz that would put the cavs as title contenders

Trin_Starr

Starter
if we get artest, we push Q to the 2 and ron at the 3 Dlee at the 4 and Curry at C with steph running the point...

damn - that's gonna be a nice balanced offensive/defensive team!

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
u would trade crawford and a draft pick to get gooden but not frye?! that makes no kind of sense, i just hope jamal is not in that trade for gooden cuz that would put the cavs as title contenders

Yeah you are right Crawford is good they shouldn't get rid of him.

This is the article I picked up online

It's Gooden plenty of trade talk
February 14
New York Daily News: "There are whispers about the Knicks making a play for Cleveland power forward Drew Gooden. Or maybe they'll opt for a small forward along the lines of Milwaukee's Ruben Patterson or Sacramento's Ron Artest."

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
More Artest talk huh. Well I don't doubt Ronnie's ability but I don't want him to hinder the team with his off court antics. Remember he'd be playing in one of the greatest cities in the world. There's a lot of court shit to get into in NY. Other than that, if he's matured and can focus, we could be a dominate force in the east. I like the Gooding idea. Kind of like a weak Ewing/Oakley duo.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I don't see a need for Gooden. We have one of the best rebounders in the game in David Lee, who should be starting by the way. Artest would make this team a legitimate threat in the east. Like Trin Starr said, Starbury at the 1, Q. at 2, Artest at 3, with Lee at 4 and Curry at 5. That would be a team that could really compete.

Sending Frye and Nate and maybe another piece to get Artest might work. I would want to keep Craw though, he really is an important part of this team. Whether he starts or comes off the bench.

This is all speculation of course. I don't think Isiah is going to make any moves this year anyway.

NYKnicks15

Starter
I believed the same thing when coming to Isiah and trading this deadline. I think in his heart of hearts he wants to prove he can succeed with the exact same roster from last year. BUT his stance has slightly changed I feel. Three weeks ago I would of said no, no interest in trading. the same 2 weeks ago. but after JJ made the lineup and Lees and Q's minutes get cut in the past couple of games I think hes starting to showcase PLUS he changed his stance by saying "i dont see A LOT of moves coming" that means he sees some.

To get Gooden itd take Malik and Frye I think. Gooden is not much of a scorer but a legit rebounder and a above average defender. Id do it if that means Maliks contract is gone.

As for Artest.. you have to figure into what Sacramento needs. Its either Bibby or Artest and it looks like Artest will be the one to go. His contract is relatively small and Sac will need a PF and SF in return. A Jared Jeffries/Channing Frye duo might work. or a Jamal Crawford and Channing Frye. I think Frye would have to be a definite here. Id pull the plus aslong as we dont give up Curry or Lee.

You cannot give up Crawford unless you get a scoring guard in return. When Curry is locked down by the double, Crawford has been a huge threat. Plus, while inconsistent as a Knick, he's been huge lately.

I think the Artest trade is a good one. That would require IT to admit that the signing of Jeffries was a mistake, since Artest would be doing the defensive work Jeffries was supposedly brought in to do. Plus, I thought the Kings were doing pretty well. Are they looking to deal anyway?

paris401

Starter
i'd luv artest in ny , not so sure about gooden, but for who??

i'm not a jamal fan, but have to admit he is playing better , and don't se I.T. trading his ass... any trade for frye or lee or nate will have to include a contract. if we take jamal off the table what chips we got??

jerome (burger king) james... he ain't going anywhere
jefferies... see above comments... signed for 5m a year, and if he is traded there is a 15% kicker
stevie franchise... there is a line at the door wanting to pay his ass 32m for the next 2 years
malik... solid citizen, not much of a player, and has 2 more years

yep I.T. u got lots of chips to play...

eastlinykfan

Benchwarmer
I don't see a need for Gooden. We have one of the best rebounders in the game in David Lee, who should be starting by the way. Artest would make this team a legitimate threat in the east. Like Trin Starr said, Starbury at the 1, Q. at 2, Artest at 3, with Lee at 4 and Curry at 5. That would be a team that could really compete.

Sending Frye and Nate and maybe another piece to get Artest might work. I would want to keep Craw though, he really is an important part of this team. Whether he starts or comes off the bench.

This is all speculation of course. I don't think Isiah is going to make any moves this year anyway.

I understand we do not need for his rebounding, but we definitely need him for his D! Come on man, it aint about bounding, how much better can we get, we are already first in bounds in the league! Imagine if we have a three player rotation of EC34, DLee, and Gooden...That sounds a lot better than what Frye can give us...Now, on Artest...I personally think he would be willing to make the adjustment of not being crazy b/c like Marbs, he has always publically said that he wants to play for us one day...I would take either one, but I think we have more of an issue at defending PF's (Frye, Lee). QRich, JJ20 (eventhough he has been garbage, he can only get better right?) and Balkman got that locked down at the 3...I really think we should shop Frye and Nate (especially) with a Franchise or Malik kicker b/c I personally feel that they really do not have much to offer us with our direction. I feel these four players DO NOT help the chemistry we are trying to build..(JJ13 is not going anywhere b/c he is just useless)Therefore, lets see how we can get Gooden!

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Gooden???

Artest I would trade JJ20 and Frye for... since Ron-Ron can fill the scoring void Frye's absence would create... he is a better rebounder than Frye and can indeed play the defense JJ20 was paid for...

Drew Gooden I wouldn't trade Frye for... The only players that make sense for the knicks and cavs would be Stevie Franchise and Nate Robinson for Drew Gooden and Eric Snow... Stevie gives the Cavs a nice combo guard off the bench and Nate is a more athletic alternative to Damon Jones as #2 off the bench... not sure if the salary numbers match up exactly... but the Cavs might try to coax Stevie's talents out of dormancy (remember this is a former co-rookie of the year)...

Ruben Patterson I would leave alone...

The Knicks should go after Gerald Wallace though... he's 24... a good defender and a blossoming offensive performer... i read somewhere that G-Wall is thinking of opting out of his deal at the end of the season... i'd give up Q-Rich, JJ20, Franchise, JJ13, Frye or Nate to try to pry him away... not sure if the Cats would take any of them though...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Artest I would trade JJ20 and Frye for... since Ron-Ron can fill the scoring void Frye's absence would create... he is a better rebounder than Frye and can indeed play the defense JJ20 was paid for...

Drew Gooden I wouldn't trade Frye for... The only players that make sense for the knicks and cavs would be Stevie Franchise and Nate Robinson for Drew Gooden and Eric Snow... Stevie gives the Cavs a nice combo guard off the bench and Nate is a more athletic alternative to Damon Jones as #2 off the bench... not sure if the salary numbers match up exactly... but the Cavs might try to coax Stevie's talents out of dormancy (remember this is a former co-rookie of the year)...

Ruben Patterson I would leave alone...

The Knicks should go after Gerald Wallace though... he's 24... a good defender and a blossoming offensive performer... i read somewhere that G-Wall is thinking of opting out of his deal at the end of the season... i'd give up Q-Rich, JJ20, Franchise, JJ13, Frye or Nate to try to pry him away... not sure if the Cats would take any of them though...

Gerald Wallace is a very good player but is, in my opinion, very wreckless and potentially a Allan Houston cotract in the making. I feel Wallace is going to be seriously injured early in his career and will be the type of player that people will be talking about saying how great he could have been if he didn't get injured.

I agree, use Frye to get Artest, keep Lee and try to get Gooden with Crawford. I also would see if we could land a defensive 2 to flank Marbury.

Something needs to be done

Hey guys, new user here
this is the first year that Isaih has been fairly silent on hte trade front. To be honest i htink it has done some good for the knicks. It has allowed them to play together and develope some team chemistry. However this is one of those times where i truly think the knicks can make a possible run in the east. We are just missing a few key pieces to the puzzle. Marbury is finally playing like a true point guard. He is no longer selfish and looks more for assists than points. Curry is finally developing into a strong threat down low. Lee has been amazing off the boards and I think will be a major threat down the road.

Now there are a few guys who i think just take up space. Francis does not fit in in NY. He wont start over marbury and i think nate does a better job off the bench. Some way some how he needs to leave. Jeffries is valuable with defense but other than that he is a wasts and we need more of an all around threat. Frye in my mind is a good player but is expendable. He is a scorerer but not as good as curry and not as good of a rebounder as Lee. Crawford and Qrich are both good players but too streaky. They take away from each other in my mind and you need someone a little more consistant and Qrich isnt a true 3.

Heres where trades can come in beautifully. The idea of getting artest is amazing. First and formost you try to get rid of Francis. That probably wont happen considering they have bibby. I would however give up either a crawford or a Qrich and a frye or a malik.

Gooden would also help pik up the slack on defense and rebounding but i would not give up anything too special. I would offer francis again which they might jump at since they need a point, then i would offer a malik or a james or somrthing. If we dont get him it is not that big of a deal, we already have a lee.

that would make ur lineup
1-marbury+nate
2-crawford or Qrich
3-artest
4-gooden+lee+balkman
5-curry

thats a dangerous lineup all around the only thing it is lacking is a shooting threat which i personally think should be our main object in the offseason wether it is through the draft or free agency

any one have ideas on this

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
The Knicks are an interesting team. Can any of us say they will be worse off if we don't have Crawford or Jefferies? Crawford is solid, well some times, but if he's gone we won’t be worse off. In fact the idea of trading Crawford/Jefferies for Artest is growing on me. Putting aside what Artest can bring to the table, it's the perfect opportunity for Balkman as a full time back up SF. The move definitely improves the bench rotation.

metrocard

Legend
lmao...now people want Gooden for Fyre? When we could of had Fyre for Artest?

Ahaha...anyway, we're already good at rebounding, Gooden isn't needed when Lee is as good as Drew. We need defense and less turnover prone players. We don't have the right role players too. We need to subtract and get draft picks in exchange. We're going to suck in the next couple of years with Isiah/Dolan. We might as well draft guys for the future when the Isiah/Dolan/Isiahsexual Generation is over.

dig4that

Rookie
we're already good at rebounding, Gooden isn't needed when Lee is as good as Drew. We need defense and less turnover prone players. We don't have the right role players too. We need to subtract and get draft picks in exchange.

Wow metro - i agree with this part. Why is everyone so crazy about Artest? It took years for Artest to get to this point in his career. Why don't we give the guys we have (Frye/Lee/Balkman) a chance to develop into great players instead of passing them off to another team that needs to be younger and letting them develop somewhere else? Gooden is a good young player but unnecessary, we already have Lee who is a better rebounder. Artest is cancer. I don't care how far he has come, he is still a nuisance in the clubhouse, a smug self-absorbed kind of guy this team does NOT need regardless of his skills. He ain't bringing any championships to this team if he does come, and you can quote that. Plus I see a clash with Curry for top dog. No good.

And we NEED the draft picks, those are the guy who become these great players. And they are cheap so low-risk. Go for as many draft picks as you can get I say.

paris401

Starter
i agree we need to get lucky with our draft choice, and maybe get lucky with a trade, otherwise we will be wallowing in the 2nd (or 3rd) tier of teams.. exactly where we are now...