Offical 2007 Draft Thread

metrocard

Legend
Only 3 months away, this 2007 Draft is extremely deep so we're lucky cause our pick will end up around the 20's.

I'm keeping an eye on Al Horford(too bad he won't fall to us) Rudy Fernandez, Tiago Splitter, Daequan Cook, and Marcus Williams

NYKnicks15

Starter
@ this point we have the 22nd pick in the draft. the bulls have our 12th pick. i hope we can continue winning to make the pick worse. if we make it at least to the 16th pick ill be very happy.

now when it comes to drafting for the knicks we have to be careful when predicting. with the roster now it seems we dont need more players. buttt with Lees emergence i can see a Frye trade possibly happening in the offseason. our offseason should be pretty interesting.

and with that, I think we should draft a big man. If Frye is traded (possibly for an upgrade at SF or even SG) well need a bigger man to make rotation. A shotblocker would be great. Heres a trade I think to look out for.. Frye, Q, Malik and Nate for Vince Carter and Marcus Williams. but at this point thats a side note.

Hansbourgh, Splitter, Gray will most likely be available at our pick. but Im not a huge fan of any. None our exceptional shotblockers, and all lack that quick step to make an impact on the Defensive end in the NBA. Someone to look out for is Marc Gasol. Im not a big fan of projects but hes a solid player and perhaps basketball skills run deep in his family haha.

I'm also a big fan of Horford but dont see that happening unless a player/pick trade occurs before draft.

@ this point i really see us trading our pick away. either that or going for Tiago Splitter. but things change especially with us startin so early.

eastlinykfan

Benchwarmer
I havent followed the college game much this year without the obvious ones (Oden, Durant, Law IV et al), but I know what we should go after: a dog. I remember Stephen A. calling JYD Williams that and I thought that is exactly what we need. Yes, we need a guy (any position, hopefully PF) that will be willing to do the dirty work for us, b/c unfortunately, we have a team full of finesse guys...With the exception of Cato, Lee (a stretch, but boy can he bound), Mardy, and Balk, we got no backbone...Remember what took us to the finals in 94/99; guts and attitude. Riley used to fine his players if they would help opponents off the floor...Cmon, we need guys like Oak (all time fav Knick), Mase, Starks, Harper, etc. to get us where we need to be. There are too many finesse players in the league period and i know it is a cliche, but D and "toughness" wins Championships. We need some more stoppers and I think that guys like Channing (although I do like him and it is hard to say) need to go...D Lee has blossomed in his second year seriously without a very polished game and Channing unfortunately has vanished; his game is still there, but it is does not fit in the team's current chemistry...We should try and dump him for a pick or a D-stopper...So, since I do not know what is out there, does anybody know any "dog" prospects out there that we can pick up in the draft?:beer:

GetRealistic

Starter
The one guy i like who may fall is Dudley from Boston College. Hes most likely going to be the ACC player of the year and he's just a tough defensive minded player. I'm with NYKnicks15 though a center we could play for around 8 min a game would be a nice plus. Gray from pitt is a project but he has improved every year. He's a legit 7 footer who has a soft toch and can rebound.

dig4that

Rookie
Big man - McRoberts may drop, if we are lucky. Marc Gasol's stock is moving up, and I like Lamont Hamilton, he's a hometown guy (St Johns) with some nice skills and room for improvement with the right tutelage.

Others: Morris Almond, Marco Belinelli, Rudy Fernandez, all at the 2.

NYKnicks15

Starter
I was trying to think of a response to write about Splitter, in support of him.. but then I remembered something a little ailing.. and I hope someone can correct me on this cause my memory is horrible..
I dont think we get a pick this year.

If I remember correctly in the Marbury deal we gave up a future first rounder which was then sent to Utah in that horrible Gugliotta trade. Now I remember it being protected but dont remember for which side. I think it was 23 or 24 protected. Cant remember if that means we keep the pick if we land anywhere 24 or under. OR if Utah gets it if we land anywhere under 24.

If that was the case the Bulls would keep their own pick and we have none cause it would then go to Utah.

Also our second round pick goes to Chicago no matter what. So Im hoping we still have our first rounder..

paris401

Starter
i beleive we have our own pick this year... but chicago has the option to swap places with us due to the curry trade...

brooklyn_baller

Benchwarmer
I hope they get something high this year. They did get the 2nd pick last year but they sold that to the Bulls when they got Curry. I have high hopes for the playoffs and the draft.
If this season have a good ending, they won't really need anyone good. The only thing they need right now is probably a big man.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Speaking about the draft did you guys know that in the 96 draft Nash was picked 15th in the draft by The Suns? and Kobe was picked 13th by Charlotte. So you see that there is talent out there in mid 1st rounds. Oh how can I forget Gilbert Arenas 2nd Round Pick

metrocard

Legend
I was trying to think of a response to write about Splitter, in support of him.. but then I remembered something a little ailing.. and I hope someone can correct me on this cause my memory is horrible..
I dont think we get a pick this year.

If I remember correctly in the Marbury deal we gave up a future first rounder which was then sent to Utah in that horrible Gugliotta trade. Now I remember it being protected but dont remember for which side. I think it was 23 or 24 protected. Cant remember if that means we keep the pick if we land anywhere 24 or under. OR if Utah gets it if we land anywhere under 24.

If that was the case the Bulls would keep their own pick and we have none cause it would then go to Utah.

Also our second round pick goes to Chicago no matter what. So Im hoping we still have our first rounder..

Splitter is a question mark, I still like him though.

4-5 years ago, everyone compared Splitter to Dirk, saying his defense wasn't too good or he wasn't too physical in the post, but he can take his man off the dribble and shoot the ball.

Now, everyone is comparing Splitter to Tyson Chandler, his defense and rebounding is physical as it gets, he's one of the premier defensive big men in Europe.

So what Splitter will we see in the NBA? If he falls to NY, Hopefully both.

an ideal SG and a big man are out biggest needs.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Speaking about the draft did you guys know that in the 96 draft Nash was picked 15th in the draft by The Suns? and Kobe was picked 13th by Charlotte. So you see that there is talent out there in mid 1st rounds. Oh how can I forget Gilbert Arenas 2nd Round Pick

True True...but we all have to realize that potential gets picked ahead of talent in most cases right now. Also Gilbert Arenas was a good college player but was only one dimensional so that's why he went in the 2nd round. At the time he was a 2nd round talent but we look on it now and say he should have went in the 1st. He has a great work ethic and that's why his game is like it is right now. He wasn't that great at the time. Also kobe was a risky high school talent...but with great work ethic he is what he is today. There are plenty of prospects out there for us to grab...I'm sure a couple of guys will emerge when the tourney starts...

nyKnicks126

I gotta agree potential does get picks ahead of talent.

Sorry that I am bringing this up but I am not a really big College Basketball fan But can we get Patrick Ewing JR. From Georgetown? Or not? Cause I am not up to date with the college stuff.

GetRealistic

Starter

Sorry that I am bringing this up but I am not a really big College Basketball fan But can we get Patrick Ewing JR. From Georgetown? Or not? Cause I am not up to date with the college stuff.

He's not a senior. I highly doubt he'll leave earlier either. He's a nice role player for georgetown i don't really think he'll be a 1st round pick in the NBA

The 1 and Only

Rotation player

You're talkin to the Georgetown genius lol. Patrick Ewing is the 1st big guy off the bench for us. He's not really going to start in front of Roy Hibbert or Jeff Green so that's where he stands. He's a Junior and na I don't think he'll be leaving early. If you look on sportscenter tho you'll see a sick 180 slam with the foul on sportcenter lol. Georgetown all the way! And tell me...why do we want to draft another SG when we have JC, Q-Rich, Steve Francis, and Mardy Collins??? If we trade some of them then that's a different story but when we have them on the roster...drafting a SG shouldn't be in our plans. We need a real back up Center...none of this powderpuff substitute. Don't draft Aaron Gray or McRoberts...Fazekas is aight but I don't know much about Splitter. But the Hoya in me wants Jeff Green but I know for sure he won't drop that far. Just gimme some proven impact rookie instead of potential and I'm good...

Last edited:

nyKnicks126

Its probably like Bill Walton and Luke Walton. Bill was much better then his son. But Kobes dad played for the NBA and Kobe is a much better player then his father. Do you guys think that Patrick Ewing JR. Can be better then Patrick Ewing SR. I dont. Well Maybe.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
There's always a possiblity. And they have many things in common during their college careers. They both work hard, both are athletic, both bring energy and tenacity. But Patrick Ewing Jr does have that his father didnt was a decent jumper. He definitely has potential. When he comes off the bench for hibbert or green...I always know the game is going to change because he's that much of a game changer...but you have to remember Ewing was 6-11-7 feet tall and his son is about 6-9 6-10. It is definitely possible that his son can just be as good but I'm going out on a limb when I say that...

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
No way, Patrick Ewing Sr. would still dunk on his son..........OK maybe not but his son would be dominating already if he was gonna be as good as the patrick ewing who played for the knicks

GetRealistic

Starter
I'm with you on the Jeff Green idea. He's a serious player. He's Jeffries with some sort of offensive game. I also agree that McRoberts and gray would be awful picks. I know nothing about Splitter. I still like the combo guard from BC Dudley don't really think he fits into the team but he's a real intelligent player.

metrocard

Legend
I'm with you on the Jeff Green idea. He's a serious player. He's Jeffries with some sort of offensive game. I also agree that McRoberts and gray would be awful picks. I know nothing about Splitter. I still like the combo guard from BC Dudley don't really think he fits into the team but he's a real intelligent player.

Co-sign.

Green would be a steal for the Knicks

Dudley doesn't have alot of atheletic ability that will make him a first rounder, but he's one of those 2nd round steals. A guy with alot of intangibles. This draft is deep. Which benefit the Knicks.

I hope Isiah looks at Rudy Fernandez, Tiago Splitter. Or try to trade up for guys like Horford.

GetRealistic

Starter
Its probably like Bill Walton and Luke Walton. Bill was much better then his son. But Kobes dad played for the NBA and Kobe is a much better player then his father. Do you guys think that Patrick Ewing JR. Can be better then Patrick Ewing SR. I dont. Well Maybe.

I guess its possible but i highly doubt it. But its possible. I deffinately think he has the ability to atleast be drafted, I doubt he'd be a superstar but he's deffinatley a role player who could find a niche in the league for a bunch of years. Draft Patrick Ewing Jr in the second round next year, hire Patrick sr as an assistant to work on toughness and rebounding with Curry and Fyre.

Are they any legit PG prospects in this years draft? I can't really think of any off the top of my head.