Isiah Thomas gets an extension

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Isiah Thomas has survived his one-season ultimatum, with a month to spare. Thomas, the Knicks' president and coach, will be given a multiyear extension today, according to a person briefed on the matter.

The extension means that James L. Dolan, the Madison Square Garden chairman, has seen the "evident progress" that he demanded of Thomas last June. Dolan ordered Thomas to coach the team after firing Larry Brown and told Thomas he had one year to show progress or be fired as both coach and president.

With 19 games left to play, the Knicks have shown clear progress, though they remain a losing team, at 29-34. Over the weekend, the Knicks moved into eighth place in the Eastern Conference, which would qualify them for the playoffs. The Knicks have not been to the postseason since 2004.

http://www.knicksonline.com/teaser/6726/after-progress-an-extension-for-knicks-thomas.html

We still have 19 games to play, and a lot of things can happen, does anyone think this was a premature decision?

Starks

Starter
Yea its totally premature. But I see why it was announced. Its all about momentum. The team's momentum has peaked with this news. But there is def a downside. If the Knicks collapse, or if we get swept w/o much of a fight, then I don't see how Dolan would be able to defend himself for rest of proffesional career. He would go down as one of the worst sports executives in United States history without a question.

I think it actually puts more pressure on Thomas... somehow his seat got a hell of alot hotter.

naterob4

Benchwarmer
no i think this was a good decision. these were the same players as last year except for jared jeffries. the only exception to that is david lee who has obviously improved considerably into the best 6 man in the league. isiah has gotten them to never give up and never be out of any games. the crowd is back at the garden and the players enjoy to be there. this alone should give him his job as knicks fans can finally be happy again. he has done a great job and we have made enough progress for this decision to take place.

metrocard

Legend
Too early, not suprised. I don't like it, but what can I say. I'm not in charge, just a fan. We're 5 games under .500 in the era when the East is at its weakest. I just hope Isiah steps down as GM, I don't mind his ugly face as the head coach.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Great it kinda ties in with the thread I made like a week ago about What you guys think about Isiahs fate. Well I guess we already know. I am happy he signed an extension.

Allen

Benchwarmer
IT got his extension, great. He will be another in a long line of coaches and executives that Dolan will pay to go away. In the mean time the knicks will continue to play sub .500 basketball.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I knew this would come. And he gets an extension and rightfully so. It seems like what I've been saying in the past is manifesting in the present and hopefully the future. I think the person who I was arguing with in the past...(I don't remember the name lol)I think he was dead wrong...DEAD WRONG....

tiger0330

Legend
Too early to extend Isiah now, but its what you would expect from a shoot from the hip owner like Dolan. The Bears didn't extend Lovie Smith until he made it to the Super Bowl but Dolan extends Isiah when the Knicks climb into the last spot in the seedings, that's Dolan for you.

I have to give props to Isiah and the job he has done as coach, I can't ever remember a player coming out threatening to quit if they fired the coach. His players like him and play hard for him unlike that waste of space, overrated Larry Brown.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I'm glad to see isiah got the extension. I've always liked him for what he did with toronto, indiana and now the knicks. What ever happened to sadknicks.com? I'm about to find out.

im glad IT got his extension, although it is probably pretty early. i think dolan ment to take some of the pressure off of thomas, but i think he actually put more ppressure on him.

He probably should have waited till the end of the season, but we'll see how this plays out.

George M.

Benchwarmer
Isiah's Extention

I'm glad Dolan extended him! This completely makes a certain person who I blew up at months ago look FOOLISH!!! I won't mention his name! The reason I blew up at him was because I read a comment he posted on my birthday (December 18th to be exact) That the team should have been gutted on that day and started over from scratch!Everyone has got to know who I'm talking about!You know who,don't you 1 and Only?He's mentioned in everyone of your posts at the bottom.:peace: :beer: :aplause: :lol:

insomniac

Benchwarmer
iv backed isiah since day 1. the guy walked into a mess. the team was old short and unathletic when he took over and now we are young big and athletic

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I'm glad Dolan extended him! This completely makes a certain person who I blew up at months ago look FOOLISH!!! I won't mention his name! The reason I blew up at him was because I read a comment he posted on my birthday (December 18th to be exact) That the team should have been gutted on that day and started over from scratch!Everyone has got to know who I'm talking about!You know who,don't you 1 and Only?He's mentioned in everyone of your posts at the bottom.:peace: :beer: :aplause: :lol:

Who you talkin about....ballsinyajaws? haha....yea I won't call his monkey face out but it's nice to prove someone wrong while they fade into oblivion right? lol...and I know for a fact we speak for a lot of people on this site...

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
This is exactly what I foresaw. The Knicks finally have a coach and GM that the players actually believe in. With more consistency from the players (I mean more than they've given thus far) this team will be a force. Congratulations Isiah, You've earned this!!!

To all the IT nay sayers who never have any independant thoughts of their own, only borrowed ones all I can do is laugh. When I heard of the extension I just had to laugh. IT beat everyone who said he couldn't last. Considering what he started here with (Nothing), he's made this team over in a hurry. A few key pieces this team could be deadly!!

Last edited:

George M.

Benchwarmer
Who you talkin about....ballsinyajaws? haha....yea I won't call his monkey face out but it's nice to prove someone wrong while they fade into oblivion right? lol...and I know for a fact we speak for a lot of people on this site...
Yo 1 and Only: Look at the thread named "Progress?? Look what we've become!! We've got a potential Garbage/Disgraced Knick fan of the Week.You've got to read this turd's comments!!!!!!!!!!!!

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Interesting! It seems that every one approves of this extension of Coach/GM Thomas. There was once a name for those that approved of Isiah Thomas. I think it was something like Isiahsexuals or some corny shit like that. This was a well deserved move. Considering that this team was a train wreck last season to # 8 seed now. The play offs are actually a realistic goal! I'm excited about this year but even more so about next year. Keep in mind that the Twolves aint going to make the playoffs once again. Makes me wander what the Net will do.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Dont you guys think that Dolan signed Isiah a little to quickly? I do. But like I said before it isn't a bad move.

brooklyn_baller

Benchwarmer
He really deserve it. The Knicks has been playing at their very best. One thing that I'm impressed with about him this season, is that he hasn't made any trades this season. He is all about working with the players he got now instead of adding and trading players.

JC11_EC34

Rookie
Isiah earned this extension and deserves it. I'm glad Dolan realizes this. He has turned this franchise around, and he believes in his players, and therefore they believe in themselves now, and they respect their coach, so they will go out there and do their best. It's hard taking over after Larry Crackhead Brown's nightmare coaching season. But Isiah took over and clicked with these players and gave them a chance, because he saw the potential in them, and he has faith in this team. To all the morons (you know who you are) that just come here to bash Isiah and his players, I'm just laughing at your ignorant comments and soon I will be laughing some more when the Knicks make it to the playoffs and make all the haters eat their stupid words. Let's make this place a place for REAL Knicks fans, not dumbass haters who spew ignorance on this site. If you don't really like the Knicks, then don't come here pretending to be a loyal fan, go root for the Raptors or Heat or something, or better yet help yourself onto the Mavs or Suns bandwagons. Watch Isiah and all our players take this Knicks team to glory, come on LET'S GO KNICKS!!!

metrocard

Legend
Isiah earned this extension and deserves it. I'm glad Dolan realizes this. He has turned this franchise around, and he believes in his players, and therefore they believe in themselves now, and they respect their coach, so they will go out there and do their best. It's hard taking over after Larry Crackhead Brown's nightmare coaching season. But Isiah took over and clicked with these players and gave them a chance, because he saw the potential in them, and he has faith in this team. To all the morons (you know who you are) that just come here to bash Isiah and his players, I'm just laughing at your ignorant comments and soon I will be laughing some more when the Knicks make it to the playoffs and make all the haters eat their stupid words. Let's make this place a place for REAL Knicks fans, not dumbass haters who spew ignorance on this site. If you don't really like the Knicks, then don't come here pretending to be a loyal fan, go root for the Raptors or Heat or something, or better yet help yourself onto the Mavs or Suns bandwagons. Watch Isiah and all our players take this Knicks team to glory, come on LET'S GO KNICKS!!!

You repeat yourself in every post, its comical and not even worth putting any thought in your post. :teeth: