Knick Number Grievances

Starks

Starter
I can't be the only one that thinks this but...

Why aren't these Knick numbers retired??

#3 - John Starks
I don't care how better of a player Marbury is, New York City's love affair with John Starks is second to none. The Knicks will always run in his blood, and he will always be the first person we think about when we see the number 3.

He embodied everything we love in an underdog- going from a no one in the CBA to becoming an NBA all star that Jordan and Miller won't forget as well.

Dolan should have given us "John Starks" night the year after Ewing had his.

I'll never forget how emotional the garden got when he made his return as a Warrior and kissed the garden floor.

#20 - Allan Houston
The absolute heart of this franchise the day after Ewing went down in Milwaluke. When he was on fire, he could of put the net on fire w/ his eyes closed. He got too much flak for not carrying much bravado- but as coaches and players knew, he had most heart in the stadium. Being cool and collective on the exterior gave him a bad rap w/ the knicks began to tank (who knew that we would give anything to be 6-8 games over .500, compared to what they have become today)

Looking at Jeffries running up and down w/ number 20 really really really burns me up- Someone needs to get fired for that fuk up)

Not retired- but should have a "game night" dedicated to them

#34- Charles Oakley
He is EXACTLY what has been missing from the Knicks over the Chaney-Thomas age.

#2- Larry Johnson
Probably not, but his 4 point play is one of those moments you will think fondly on forever, even when your old and grey.

LOIOSH30

Benchwarmer
You forgot the most obvious.......#30, Bernard King!!!!!

BTW Starks will probably never happen, as much as I love him....a lot of people still think he cost us a title in '94....which he basically did even if the blame should really fall on Riley for not yanking him....

And I seriously agree with Oakley...this should have happened as soon as he retired.

Last edited:

GetRealistic

Starter
Bernard King absolutely should be retired. He's the greatest scorer in Knicks history.

I think its that travesty Marbury wears John Starks number. Starks i everything thats right about the game. Everybody brings up game 7... he played awful. But without how well he played that season we never woulda made it to game seven. But despite all those great qualities in order to have your jersey retired you have to be a top of the line big time player.

That being said if his jersey was retired i'd be there.

metrocard

Legend
I can't be the only one that thinks this but...

Why aren't these Knick numbers retired??

#3 - John Starks
I don't care how better of a player Marbury is, New York City's love affair with John Starks is second to none. The Knicks will always run in his blood, and he will always be the first person we think about when we see the number 3.

He embodied everything we love in an underdog- going from a no one in the CBA to becoming an NBA all star that Jordan and Miller won't forget as well.

Dolan should have given us "John Starks" night the year after Ewing had his.

I'll never forget how emotional the garden got when he made his return as a Warrior and kissed the garden floor.

#20 - Allan Houston
The absolute heart of this franchise the day after Ewing went down in Milwaluke. When he was on fire, he could of put the net on fire w/ his eyes closed. He got too much flak for not carrying much bravado- but as coaches and players knew, he had most heart in the stadium. Being cool and collective on the exterior gave him a bad rap w/ the knicks began to tank (who knew that we would give anything to be 6-8 games over .500, compared to what they have become today)

Looking at Jeffries running up and down w/ number 20 really really really burns me up- Someone needs to get fired for that fuk up)

Not retired- but should have a "game night" dedicated to them

#34- Charles Oakley
He is EXACTLY what has been missing from the Knicks over the Chaney-Thomas age.

#2- Larry Johnson
Probably not, but his 4 point play is one of those moments you will think fondly on forever, even when your old and grey.

Good thread. Houston and King would be the first to come to mind when I think about retired numbers. Why the FUCK is Jefferies rocking Allan's number?

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
Some of you are delusional as hell...

John Starks cost us the title....no way his number should be retired...

Charles Oakley #34 should be retired...
Bernard King #30 should be retired....

That is all....

Allan Houston hell no...it's bad enough he got a contract he did not deserve, it's bad enough his one moment of a great clutch shot outweighs all the games where if he would have played a little D would have helped us win, or him going to the hole would have done us better....

I can even grant you John Starks...

But no way in hell I will ever be in favor of retiring Houston's number 20 hanging from the Garden...

The only #20 for this team that should be retired is Micheal Ray Richardson.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
Some of you are delusional as hell...

John Starks cost us the title....no way his number should be retired...

Charles Oakley #34 should be retired...
Bernard King #30 should be retired....

That is all....

Allan Houston hell no...it's bad enough he got a contract he did not deserve, it's bad enough his one moment of a great clutch shot outweighs all the games where if he would have played a little D would have helped us win, or him going to the hole would have done us better....

I can even grant you John Starks...

But no way in hell I will ever be in favor of retiring Houston's number 20 hanging from the Garden...

The only #20 for this team that should be retired is Micheal Ray Richardson.

Houston ranks like top 5-8 in alot of scoring/shoot records in Knicks history.