Possibility of a Jermaine O'Neal Trade

I'm a huge Knick fan, but I'm also realistic. There is no way that JO will be traded to the Knicks. With the Lakers now bounced from the postseason again, JO will land with the Lakers at whatever the price. Since Kobe is pretty much driving the ship there (he can threaten to walk in 2 years), and JO undoubtedly willing to play with the best player in the NBA, the Lakers have what it takes to land him. (Not to mention that it would be idiotic for Bird to trade JO to a conference rival).

I seriously doubt the Knicks will land a premier player during the offseason. They need to continue to develop what they have, gain cap room, and mkae a run at the class A free agents coming out in 2 years.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
Am I insane to think that some of these trades proposed in these forums are ridiculous? There's no way we're going to get Jermaine O'neil or Kevin Garnett. We just don't have the assets. Besides...if the other team were to agree, we would probably end up giving too much. We'll end up being the Pacers and T'wolves this year striving to make the playoffs. Plus, we won't have any future because we'll probably have to give up draft picks.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I disagree. The Knicks have plenty of assets and valuable players. We just don't want to part with most of them. All of the rumors I'm reading say the Lakers are making a move for KG. I think both KG and O'neal will end up on different teams in different conferences. Where, I don't know. Also keep in mind that the players have a say so as to where they get traded to.

On the other hand I agree that may be the Knicks need to stay away from Big names. But we've got to get a second option for Curry to relieve pressure off of Marbury.

insomniac

Benchwarmer
im all for improving the roster but i just flat out would not trade crawford. as clutch as the guy is, he is someone i want on my team in close playoff game situations.

Great Post again very optimistic, About the Bulls trade what is often left out when this trade is talked about is how Isiah refused to give up David Lee, remember this trade was made before the Knicks even played one pre season game, and David Lee was the last of our draft picks that year, and couldv'e been looked at as expendable, but Isiah showed great forsight on that decision, I mean it sucks that we gave up the 2nd pick in the draft last year ( the highest since the pre Ewing days),but to hang on Lee get and to eventually get Balkman, smooths over losing back to back lotterey picks. I just hope that this is the last year that we're saying next year things will get better, and I think we have reason to beleive in this team next year, lets just hope everyone works hard this summer, and we can looks to make some noise next season!

my bad about that last reply I was trying to reply to another thread....Phil Jackson said in his book that fans offer some of the goffiest of trade and lineup scenerios and this may be one of them but I think that the Knicks do have a package in Crawford,Lee, Frye, and a unprotected pick that would land Oneil.... I wouldn't pull the trigger on that deal but I think it is a fair offer to Indy.... again I don't think it is smart for NY, I think Frye had a bad season but still there is hope for him I think, Lee and Crawford showed their worth just by being out the last part of the season, and no way we give up another unprotected peck, I mean with Durant and Oden going into the Draft this year it is not as risky,but still not worth losing another oppurtunity for Isiah to work the NBA lotterey. I would give that package up for Garnett,but the Twolves would want more for the greatest player in their franchises history. Also who is with me in thinking the Knicks wouldv'e put up a hell of a matchup in for any team in the first round had they stayed healthy? I really think this would've been the year two #1's wouldv'e gone down, and the Knicks would've been the first franchise to do it twice. Again that could just be the goofy fan talking again

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
I guess we'll see this summer if we really have plenty of assets and valuable players. Personally, I see a lot of trade rumors but nothing more than that. Crawford is getting paid too much to be consider an asset. The young players have potential but have not shown enough to attract any teams to give up anything good. The only player valuable is David Lee with his skill and small contract.

paris401

Starter
i don't see many assets on the knicks...

curry is the franchise , and is not going anywhere

starbury with his large contract is untradeable

qrich with his bad back which is uninsurable, is untradeable

jamal has some value , how much is debatable, but certainly is less then before his injury

burger king james,jefferies,stevie... have "NO" value... they are untradeable

malik, with 3 years left will be a tough trade.

then we are left with lee/frye/nate/collin,balkman... all have some trade value, but it is limited with their small contracts... so it is doubtful we can package one or two of the young guys with one of of out large contracts for a 'named' player, IT's only recourse is trade a frye or a lee for a similar contract...

not the help we need...

donchris

jamal has some value , how much is debatable, but certainly is less then before his injury

then we are left with lee/frye/nate/collin,balkman... all have some trade value, but it is limited with their small contracts... so it is doubtful we can package one or two of the young guys with one of of out large contracts for a 'named' player, IT's only recourse is trade a frye or a lee for a similar contract...

not the help we need...

Not necessarily. Sure no one is going to take Jerome James. No team in the league is going to trade a single player for Garnett or Oneal. They are going to make a package deal. We should do no less. Making an offer can't hurt. I believe both of these players wouldn't mind playing in NY. Reports now show Oneal is requesting a trade here. I.T. will make a package deal.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

not the help we need...

I'm not so sure about that. I agree 100% with your assesment of the Knicks player value, but I think if a team is going to rebuild and want to use their star(s) to trade their salaries for cheap young talent and expiring contracts would take a smaller contract with a few years along with a couple of young guys. I think the Knicks have a few young players that teams want; Balkman, Frye and Lee... Especially Lee... Crawford has sparked interest with some teams. So, I look at it like this, the Knicks have the ability to make 1 key move and 1 only. O'Neil is a star that the Knicks could make a run for. Garnett is probably out of reach for them unless they are willing to hand the Wolves every young guy they have and say Steve Frances to meet the salary. I think the Knicks would offer the wolves; Frye, Crawford, Rose, Lee... I am not sure it is enough for Garnett though...

donchris

I'm not so sure about that. I agree 100% with your assesment of the Knicks player value, but I think if a team is going to rebuild and want to use their star(s) to trade their salaries for cheap young talent and expiring contracts would take a smaller contract with a few years along with a couple of young guys. I think the Knicks have a few young players that teams want; Balkman, Frye and Lee... Especially Lee... Crawford has sparked interest with some teams. So, I look at it like this, the Knicks have the ability to make 1 key move and 1 only. O'Neil is a star that the Knicks could make a run for. Garnett is probably out of reach for them unless they are willing to hand the Wolves every young guy they have and say Steve Frances to meet the salary. I think the Knicks would offer the wolves; Frye, Crawford, Rose, Lee... I am not sure it is enough for Garnett though...

Excellent point. The question comes down to this. How much young talent should the Knicks trade for a big name player? I love Garnett and would rather we get him than Oneal but I don't want I.T. to trade away the entire youth movement for one man. Not unless he can walk on water and heal Quentin Richardson's back.

paris401

Starter
ok see your point... but if i was bird... and keep in mind bird and thomas are not bud's... i would want lee,frye,crawford, and malik.. the salaries match...

but do they want jamal ...

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
O'Neal can opt out next year. He has already said he is going to. His opt out makes him a free agent leaving Indy with SFA. Bird would do well to get something rather than nothing. If you look at the debaucle that Indy has become, they'd be better off with something.

But sources say O'Neal already has told the Pacers he wants to be traded to the Knicks and former Pacers coach and close friend Isiah Thomas. Would the Pacers take Stephon Marbury or maybe a package with Steve Francis, Jared Jeffries and Channing Frye and the Bulls' first-round pick, which the Knicks own in the swap?

Sam Smith Chicago Sports.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
As long as this doesn't invlove our trade picks, i won't have anything against it. But let's not forget JO is getting old and is injured all the time.. i'd rather try something on KG

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
He can be the starting power forward the next couple of seasons while Lee continues to develop. My biggest problem is JO playin alongside Curry. I'm not sure if that will work on the offensive end but it'd be real nice havin Jermiaine blockin shot on defense cuz as we all know the knicks dont have a shot blocker.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Excellent point. The question comes down to this. How much young talent should the Knicks trade for a big name player? I love Garnett and would rather we get him than Oneal but I don't want I.T. to trade away the entire youth movement for one man. Not unless he can walk on water and heal Quentin Richardson's back.

I agree somewhat with that, but I think if they can keep one of the guys, than you are essentially getting O'Neil for Crawford, Frye or Lee, JJ or Rose, plus a pick. I can live with that!! So you will still have Balkman and Frye or Lee. You loose Crawford and his streaky shooting and a young power forward. Plus you dump salary as well. A pick is a pick, you never know if the player will pan out; always a crap shoot.