Boxing

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Other than being a big fan of basketball, I'm also a big fan of boxing. My favorite boxers out there right now is RJJ and Allan Green. Who are your favorite boxers and who do you think is the pound for pound champ?

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
I like boxing too. I like Andrew Golota fought multiple times for heavyweight title. Floyd Mayweather, Zab Judah is nice. I liked Lenox Lewis. Of course I think the champ is Bernard Hopkins. Having the title for so long and loosing it.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I'd have to disagree with that man...it's going to be a good fight, but when Zab is on his A game...no one can stop him. Mayweather almost felt his wrath until he fought stupid and stepped away from his game plan which was to utilize his quickness. Cotto is going to have to cut off the ring to even stand a chance. I'm saying Zab by UD. I Just hope my boy RJJ makes his comeback strong.

metrocard

Legend
Cotto is a BEAST, after he destroys Judah, he should have a mega match with Mayweather Jr. and crown himself as the King.

Puerto Rico is the best pound for pound. Larry Merchant would agree.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Ring Magazine P4P List
1.Floyd Maweather
2.Pac-Man
3.Raphael Marquez
4.Juan Manuel Marquez
5.Winky Wright
6.B-Hop
7.Joe Calzaghe (chump)
8.Marco Antonio Barrera
9.Ricky Hatton
10.Jermain Taylor
This obviously proves why America is easily the best place to fight the P4P champs...African American at that. The best figher of our generation was RJ in my opinion so even proves the argument even better. Next is Mexico then its arguable from there. B-Hop and RJ my top 2 faves should have gotten it on 3-4 years ago...it might have been the most anticipated fight in the past 15-20 years. RJ still has something left in the tank and B-Hop is fighting father time so we'll see....Judah wins by UD

metrocard

Legend
Puerto Rico is number 1 for boxers. There are 215.3 white Americans. There are 40 million African Americans. There are 26.8 million Mexican Americans and 103 million Mexicans.

Puerto Rican is an island about 3.8 million people and in the United States there are under 4 million Puerto Ricans. Porpotion wise, Puerto Rican stands superior in being a powerhouse of talent. Those three other groups are well respected and have credibility, but Puerto Rican stands number one if you want to look at talent production.

US- 275 Million
Mexico- 105 MIllion
PR- 7 Million (half on the island, half in the US)

I think it's been settled that pound for pound (or I should say, square mile per square mile) its Puerto Rico. (It's a common saying among PR boxers that we are the best boxers b/c we are the best dancers... ). But the country with the best and most champs is Mexico...and you can't be a Mexican fighter without a ton of heart and a chin made of granite. I think that the US has so many champs b/c with a population of 275 million, you're bound to have a bunch of great champs.

PR has the best claim of this for sure. :peace:

cottomayweather.jpg

Judah will be another victim.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Tru tru tru, but I'm just being realistic. That's good that you know all those statistics and it's true that puerto rico has a smaller population than Afro-Americans and Mexicans. But the only credible puerto ricans that come to my mind is Camacho, Cotto, and Trinidad...I could go for days about African American fighters. We all know the #1 of all-time is Sugar Ray Robinson...that is not really arguable. Next would be Ali in my opinion. Really the only chance Cotto has against Zab is if he cuts off the ring...otherwise his face will be cut and bloody just like his other opponents. He is one of the quickest fighers out there hand and footspeed. His power has something to be desired but the speed will lightup the best of them. When you dominate half of a fight against one of the best defensive boxers in Mayweather...ya gotta give him props. All I know is none of those cats could touch my boy Roy at his prime...NO ONE

FameMos

Benchwarmer
I'd luv 2 see Mayweather and Cotto (I think Mayweather is ducking him) but i still think Mayweather would beat him. I think this Judah fight is gonna be a good fight if it goes past 5. Mayweather=G.O.A.T :smokin:

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I like Mayweather...he's a good guy...but people compare him to RJ and he's nowhere close to him. He gotta step his game up to be put in a league like RJ, B-Hop...or any of those guys...talented guy but he shouldn't be in the top 50 boxers of all-time.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
nah man I didn't say it even though I believe it...read this article http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxing_forum/index.php/topic,48054.0.html

"Floyd Mayweather is still active and has not yet proven that he deserves to be on this list. Perhaps he will once his career is finished but it remains to be seen. Although undefeated Floyd was given a gift in his first fight against Jose Luis Castillo and if his name had been Merriweather instead of Mayweather he would have lost. In his most recent outing against Delahoya he was far from spectacular. Former boxer and writer Frank Lotierzo offered this opinion, “Mayweather is so basic and does nothing special. I have never seen him create or set a trap, ala Robinson setting up Fullmer for the left-hook in their rematch. Or the way Leonard lured Hagler to follow him around the ring, then stop, so he could move as Hagler was getting set to throw, disrupting his whole rhythm and keeping him a step behind.” Mayweather is physically gifted but against Delahoya he simply took what Oscar gave him. Floyd did not make Oscar do things that he didn’t want to do. Floyd may end up on this list, but he still has something to prove before such accolades can be bestowed upon him. It’s best to evaluate fighters like Mayweather once their career, or at least their best days are behind them."

He gives reasons...they ranked RJ at 44 which is definitely wrong, he deserves better. But there's always disputable rankings in boxing.

FameMos

Benchwarmer
He's still the greatest IMO (can't see ne1 in the history of boxing beating him) I would've loved 2 see him and Sweet Pea Whitaker in their primes throwin down.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
The Greatest of our time...former world middleweight, world super middleweight, world light heavyweight, and heavyweight champion of the world, defeated James Toney, B-Hop, Virgil Hill, and countless of other world champions...at his prime people thought he was the best EVER...made greats look bad and his style is like no other...won 49 consecutive fights (the griffin DQ doesn't count in my opinion since the winner was out on the canvas) at his prime his was to quick for the bigs...to strong for the lil guys...and that right hook would shatter anything it would touch including Virgil Hills ribs and countless of boxers jaws...this man was the fighter of the decade for a reason...he is easily the best of our time...look at this and decide for yourself...

RoyJones1.jpg

jonesaut.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Anybody see the judah-cotto fight? Great fight. The low blows were a bit dirty but thats part of the sport. Cotto cut off the ring like what I said he had to do to win the fight and he did that exceptionally. He's on his way to stardom...

metrocard

Legend
You have to kill Cotto before you beat him. Glass jaw? No where to be found. Judah layed some nice hooks on Cotto, but Cotto is too tough and recovered quickly from being stunned.

Cotto has 1,001 ways to win a fight, even when he's hurt. Judah cut him under his lower lip, he cut Cotto on his right eyebrow with a headbutt and Cotto simply didn't care and came straight forward with a brutal offense. And what about the horrible beating Cotto gave to Judah? The way Cotto left Judah's right side of his face after the fight speaks for itself.

Cotto haters, do you believe now or you'll keep looking for more ways to fool yourselves thinking Cotto will lose a fight???

When your fighting Cotto it is NOT like Oscar...Cotto won't stay there like a dumbass waiting for a good shot...Cotto fights the 3 minutes of the round, sooner or later Mayweather is going to have to throw some shots if he wants to try and win. Thats where cotto will catch him continuously until Mayweather cant continue, something similar to what just happened with Zab.

Cotto is eating dudes alive right now.

2001203902007377321_rs.jpg

2001292132847203206_rs.jpg

2001263274362368459_rs.jpg

2001277242912862125_rs.jpg

2001980451722496637_rs.jpg

2001974798018501918_rs.jpg

2005164394949846585_rs.jpg

2005193737932702245_rs.jpg

2001964581679028827_rs.jpg

2001935582666083684_rs.jpg

jimkcchief88

All Star
Missed the fight because I'm not falling for the hype anymore and paying for a tap dance ie Mayweather-De la Hoya. But as far as PR standing for more talent: PLEASE!!! If that was the case history would full of PR boxers for decades. If I had to guess most of the PR boxers train in the US anyway.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
PLEASE!!! If that was the case history would full of PR boxers for decades.

Exactly...no one from puerto rico at their prime can match Roy Jones jr, Benard Hopkins, James Toney, and Evander Holyfield. I could name more but I don't want to take all day LOL.

metrocard

Legend
Puerto Rico produces the most talent for its size and population.

Are you aware there are more world champions in boxing from Puerto Rico than anywhere else? Thats RIGHT! 53.

Even boxing experts would agree

Boxing isn't even a mainstream sport in America anymore.

#1. Felix "Tito" Trinidad
(42-1, 35 KO's)
Cupey Alto, Puerto Rico (1990-2004).
Future Hall of Famer and former IBF welterweight, WBA junior middleweight and WBA middleweight champion. Devastating puncher with wicked left hook. Won first world championship at 20, when he KO'd Maurice Blocker in two-rounds, in 1993. Holds victories over, Hector Camacho, Yori Boy Campas, Pernell Whitaker, Oscar De La Hoya, Fernando Vargas, William Joppy and Ricardo Mayorga.

#2. Wilfredo "El Radar" Benitez
(53-8-1, 31 KO's)
San Juan, Puerto Rico (1973-1990).
-Benitez became the youngest fighter to win a world title at the age of 17, when he defeated Antonio Cervantes, to capture the WBA junior welterweight crown in 1976. Tremendous boxer-puncher and Hall of Famer, who went on to win the WBA welterweight and junior middleweight titles. Victories over Bruce Curry, Carlos Palomino, Randy Shields and Roberto Duran. Stayed too long at the party.

#3. Wilfredo "Bazooka" Gomez
(44-3-1, 42 KO's)
Las Monjas, Puerto Rico (1974-1989).
-A weapon from 122 to130 pounds. Devastating puncher and crowd pleaser. Had one of the highest knockout win percentages in professional boxing, winning 88 percent of his bouts by knockout. Ring Magazine ranked Gómez as thirteenth on a list of the all-time greatest punchers in 2003. First captured the WBA super bantamweight crown with a 12 rd. TKO of Dong-Kyun Yum, in 1977 and successfully defended his title 13 times. Gomez later recaptured the WBA belt with a 6th rd. TKO over Juan Meza, then won the WBA featherweight belt and WBA super featherweight crowns. Holds wins over Carlos Zarate, Ruben Valdez, Derrik Holmes, Juan Antonio Lopez, Robert Rubaldino, Lupe Pintor, Juan LaPorte and Rocky Lockridge.

#4. Carlos Ortiz (60-7-1, 29 KO's)
Ponce, Puerto Rico (1955-1972).
-Outstanding junior lightweight and WBC & WBA lightweight champion. Hall of Famer and class act of the 135-pound division. An excellent boxer/puncher throughout the 1950 and 1960's. Holds wins over Kenny Lane, Battling Torres, Joe Brown, Doug Valiant, Flash Elorde, Ishmael Laguna, and Sugar Ramos.

#5. Edwin "El Chappo" Rosario
(47 -6, 41 KO's)
Toa Baja, Puerto Rico (1979-1997.)
-Talented slugger and three time world champion; WBC and WBA lightweight titleholder, WBA junior welterweight king. Captured the vacant WBC 135-pound crown with win over Jose Luis Ramirez, lost crown in 1984 "Fight of the Year" to Ramirez 19 months later. Recaptured title with brutal 2nd rd. KO of Livingston Bramble. His outstanding record shows wins over Edwin Viruet, Howard Davis Jr., Frankie Randall, Anthony Jones, and a stunning third round TKO over WBA 140-pound champion Loreto Garza, after dropping the titleholder twice in the 1st and twice in the 3rd.

#6. Sammy "El Torbellino" Serrano
(52-4-1, 17 KO's)
Toa Alto, Puerto Rico (1969-1997.)
-Classic boxer mover, who could sting you with either hand. Captured the WBA super featherweight belt by outpointing Ben Vilaflor, in 1976 and defended the belt 10 times. Won the same title back by outpointing Yasutsune Uehara and defended it two more times. Holds wins over Apollo Yoshio, Young-Ho Oh, Julio Valdez, Nkosana "Happy Boy" Mgxaji, Battlehawk Kazama and Benedicto Vilablanca.

#7. Jose "Chegui" Torres
(41-3-1, 29 KO's)
Playa Ponce, Puerto Rico (1958-1969).
-Former outstanding middleweight who moved up to 175 and captured the WBA & WBC light heavyweight belts by scoring a ninth round TKO over Willie Pastrano, in 1965. A Hall of Famer, who defended his titles three times, Torres remains one of boxing's most elegant spokesmen. Wins over Jose Gonzalez, Gomeo Brennan, Carl "Bobo" Olson, Wayne Thorton, Eddie Cotton and Chic Calderwood.

#8. Estaban De Jesus
(57-5, 32 KO's)
Carolina, Puerto Rico (1969-1980).
-Gifted boxer puncher, who was the first man to defeat Roberto Duran. Captured the WBC lightweight title by scoring a 15-rd. win over Guts Ishimatsu, in 1976. Defended title three times and holds lifetime wins over Duran, Ray Lampkin, Johnny Gant, Hector Julio Medina, Buzzsaw Yamabe, Vincente Saldivar and Edwin Viruet.

#9. John John Molina
(52-7, 33 KO's)
Fajardo, Puerto Rico (1986-2001).
-Former three-time world champion. Captured the vacant WBO super featherweight belt by scoring a 12-rd. win over Juan LaPorte, in 1989. Six months later, Molina won the IBF 130-pound crown by scoring a 10th rd. TKO over Tony "Tiger" Lopez. Molina holds victories over Lupe Suarez, Jackie Gunguluza, Fernando Caicedo, Francisco Segura, Manuel Medina, Bernard Taylor and Goyo Vargas.

#10. Wilfredo "Pride of Puerto Rico" Vazquez
(56-9-2, 41 KO's)
Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico (1981-2002).
-Explosive fighter and holder of three different world championships in three different divisions. Former WBA bantamweight, WBA super bantamweight and WBA featherweight titleholder. Captured his first world title by scoring a 10th rd. TKO over Chan-Yong Park in 1987. Vazquez went on to win the WBA 122-pound crown with a 3rd rd. TKO over Raul Perez in 1992, and the WBA featherweight title by scoring a 11th rd. TKO over Eloy Rojas. Holds victories over Juan Carazo, Thierry Jacob, Luis Enrique Mendoza, Hiroaki Yokota, Yuichi Kasai, Jae-Won Choi, Bernardo Manuel Mendoza, Yuji Watanabe, Roque Cassiani and Genaro Rios.

#11. Alfredo "El Salsero" Escalera
(53-14-3, 31 KO's)
Carolina, Puerto Rico (1970-1983).
-Tremendous boxer, puncher, performer, who won the WBA super featherweight title by scoring a second round KO over Kuniaki Shibata in 1975. Escalera would go on to defend his crown nine times. "El Salsero" holds victories over Frankie Otero, Svein Erik Paulsen, Buzzsaw Yambe, Ray Luny III, Tyrone Everett, Ronnie McGarvey, Carlos Becerril and Sigfredo Rodriguez.

#12 Hector Camacho
(78-5-2, 38 KO's)
Bayamón, Puerto Rico (1980-2004)
-Captured the vacant WBC Super Featherweight Title, when he KO'd Rafael "Bazooka" Limon at 2:52 of the fifth round, in 1983, then in 1985, he won the WBC lightweight crown, by scoring a 12 rd. unanimous decision over Jose Luis Ramirez. In 1989, Camacho would go on to claim the vacant WBO junior welterweight belt by scoring a 12 rd. split decision over Ray Mancini. Camacho won 39 straight fights until he was upset by Greg Haugen and lost a 12 round split decision. In that bout, Camacho had a point deducted at the start of the final round because he hit his opponent rather than shake hands. Camacho would go on to win a variety of fringe titles and keep fighting for a number of years. Camacho holds win over, Edwin Rosario, Cornelius Boza-Edwards, Howard Davis, Jr., Vinny Pazienza, Tony Baltazar, Greg Haugen, Luis Maysonet, Gary Kirkland, Sugar Ray Leonard, Tony Menefee, and Roberto Duran.